• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 5 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kain

It honestly feels like it's moved faster than it has in the book. I don't know if that's accurate, but she hasn't even been in every episode and has only had 1 or 2 scenes in the episodes she has been in, so by necessity every scene progresses it a bit further. It's done a great job of conveying the mystery of the situation and we are learning bits and pieces along with Arya.

The sequence of events foxtrot laid out just seems like it would take up drastically more screentime that the show just logistically doesn't have the space for. Not to mention the inclusion of multiple traditional montages (literal training montages even!), something I can't recall the show ever doing.

They have all been extremely well shot, well written, well performed scenes. They may not be exactly lifted out of the books, but it seems extreme hyperbole to say they've "screwed up" the storyline or it's been "poorly handled," or to suggest that the execution of the Arya storyline is representative of the filmmakers being "hacks." There's very little I can see to complain about with her story this season, because at the very least it's been completely competently presented, unless your complaint is simply that it's too different from the books.

I agree, and I reserve judgement of Arya's storyline until the last episode. It bothers me that they introduced the insurance guy AND sent Meryn Trant her way too. Will she kill both? Just one? None?

eot

Banned
I haven't enjoyed the Arya scenes that much this season, but I honestly think those chapters are a bit like Reek's in that they're hard to adapt. They take place over a long period of time and don't have much in the way of dialogue, they're more about Arya's thoughts and observations. Maybe her sweeping the floor wasn't the best thing to focus on though. Her reporting back to Jaqen more often would've been more fun to watch.

Also, Arya expressing her own impatience makes me impatient as a viewer.

PA7PYDD.jpg

Some scary ass shit

Iksenpets

Banned
Looks like episode 9 preview stills are up: http://watchersonthewall.com/photos...ones-season-5-episode-9-the-dance-of-dragons/

Nothing too much here. Looks like no Winterfell or King's Landing this episode. I was hoping for Theon to snap back to reality and escape this week. If that's pushed to the finale, they're probably not meeting Stannis this season.

Don't know what all the Jon stuff at the Wall is going to be covering. This has to be where Sam gets sent away though.

And it looks like a lot is going to happen in Stannis' camp. Shots from several different scenes there. Davos making a stag toy for Shireen is terrifyingly sentimental.

I haven't enjoyed the Arya scenes that much this season, but I honestly think those chapters are a bit like Reek's in that they're hard to adapt. They take place over a long period of time and don't have much in the way of dialogue, they're more about Arya's thoughts and observations. Maybe her sweeping the floor wasn't the best thing to focus on though. Her reporting back to Jaqen more often would've been more fun to watch.

Also, Arya expressing her own impatience makes me impatient as a viewer.

I can't believe almost a fill season in, and every scene could have been summed up in 5 min. Just didn't dig it either. i had a very different thought of what it was going to be like.

TCRS

Banned
holy fuck what an episode. now that was a change I can totally live with. did not expect that. the white walkers are such scary mofos, boss as fuck. such a great design.

still not sure what to make of tyrion and dany and the whole shortcut.

Regarding Cersei-Valonquar/Cleganebowl craziness:
- Is it not the case that the Maggy's prophecy says that her kids have to die before her? (Making it unlikely an upcoming cleganebowl would end in her death)

- People always say Tyrion could be the younger brother, but what about Jaime? It's not youngest brother, it's younger, and from what I remember, she is born first of the twins?

I always preferred the idea of Jaime being the Valonqar. It's less obvious (i remember actively trying to find out whether he is the younger of the twins and thinking this was not in plain sight), and it's a good end for jaime-cersei's arc / jaime's redemption. But Cersei would have to do something even shittier before Jaime did that.

Dunno who will kill Cersei, but prophesy wise the only thing I know is that Myrcella will become queen. I'm guessing she'll be queen when Aegon reaches the gates of KL.

Brakke

Banned
Ehh Arya's time at the House has produced a bunch of really good scenes. Preserving Needle, the waif lying (?) about her Westerosi origin, Arya giving that sickly girl the gift, the Facevault was p cool. I agree there's probably one or two too many scenes of her being impatient.

eot

Banned
I just realised we never got the last bit of the prophecy yet. Wonder when they're going to show it.

No way. If they were going to they would've in the first episode this season. Plus, "valonqar" doesn't really play as well on TV I think.

Victarion

"Don't worry about Jon, Olly, I've been worrying about him for years. He always comes back."

lmao they are gonna resurrect Jon this season.

I prefer show Arya's story to book Arya's. The book version was yet another storyline that I found a chore to plod through and groaned when I saw another chapter coming up.

munchie64

Looks like episode 9 preview stills are up: http://watchersonthewall.com/photos...ones-season-5-episode-9-the-dance-of-dragons/

Nothing too much here. Looks like no Winterfell or King's Landing this episode. I was hoping for Theon to snap back to reality and escape this week. If that's pushed to the finale, they're probably not meeting Stannis this season.

Don't know what all the Jon stuff at the Wall is going to be covering. This has to be where Sam gets sent away though.

And it looks like a lot is going to happen in Stannis' camp. Shots from several different scenes there. Davos making a stag toy for Shireen is terrifyingly sentimental.
Only one Dany photo? They're hiding it well.

Brakke

Banned
Dunno who will kill Cersei, but prophesy wise the only thing I know is that Myrcella will become queen. I'm guessing she'll be queen when Aegon reaches the gates of KL.

What? How do you figure Myrcella ascends? "Gold shall be their crowns and gold their shrouds" could *I guess* mean Myrcella wears a golden wedding shroud or something lol.

The problem I have with Cleganebowl is that it's way too much symmetry for GRRM's taste (just like the notion of Ice getting reforged, tbh).

What? How do you figure Myrcella ascends? "Gold shall be their crowns and gold their shrouds" could *I guess* mean Myrcella wears a golden wedding shroud or something lol.
I've long thought that the Three Queens that Littlefinger referred to are Myrcella (put forward by Dorne), Cersei (put forward by herself), and Margaery (put forward by the Tyrells). All probably vying for fAegon's hand, too.

Once word gets out that Quentyn died, Dorne might go back to Arianne's plan; and also, Stannis and Tommen are really obviously not long for this world. I think Littlefinger wants to remove ALL legitimate successors to the throne for total Southron chaos while he wraps up the North unhindered.

Brakke

Banned
How will she wear a crown without being a queen?

She already wears a golden crown, it's hair. I guess it could also be the other thing.

Seems sort of pointless for Myrcella to ascend though. Sitting in the Iron Throne isn't any kind of win right now, it affords so little authority. The crown is impoverished to hell and back, Aegon fucking things up in the Stormlands, Stannis in the North (and North lords giving no shits about south of the Moat), Ironborn rampaging... Anyone thinking it's good or useful to take King's Landing out of ambition is a straight up clown.

What good is a legal claim to the Throne if you're Dorne and have a weak military for conquest? If Dorne Queenmakes Myrcella they'll probably end up spurning Highgarden to do so, making Myrcella's only loyal kingdom Dorne and maybe some Lannister factions? Which like, why even bother? Just declare Dorne independent.

This is why I hate prophecies. GRR so proud of how clever and misdirection-y he is.

Nodnol

I still think they'll ressurect Jon this season; there's simply no way to keep his survival a secret over the close season and during filming. Lessens the impact significantly if the cats out of the bag prematurely. I'd much rather they have the stabbing episode 9, and have him awake in episode 10 with a "wtf?" moment.

I really hope Jon is the protagonist of the song.

She already wears a golden crown, it's hair. I guess it could also be the other thing.

Seems sort of pointless for Myrcella to ascend though. Sitting in the Iron Throne isn't any kind of win right now, it affords so little authority. The crown is impoverished to hell and back, Aegon fucking things up in the Stormlands, Stannis in the North (and North lords giving no shits about south of the Moat), Ironborn rampaging... Anyone thinking it's good or useful to take King's Landing out of ambition is a straight up clown.

What good is a legal claim to the Throne if you're Dorne and have a weak military for conquest? If Dorne Queenmakes Myrcella they'll probably end up spurning Highgarden to do so, making Myrcella's only loyal kingdom Dorne and maybe some Lannister factions? Which like, why even bother? Just declare Dorne independent.

This is why I hate prophecies. GRR so proud of how clever and misdirection-y he is.

Myrcella isn't in Dorne though, she's on her way back to KL with two Sand Snakes. My argument is that Tommen will die and Myrcella will be crowned in order to continue Lannister hold of the realm. Sure the crown is weak now, but it's still necessary to keep the peace and calm down allies.

A Myrcella crowning also opens up some interesting plot possibilities. Aegon is going to fight his way to the gates of KL eventually, and perhaps the Lannisters can attempt to offer a marriage alliance: Aegon marries Myrcella and becomes king. Or perhaps Myrcella is promised to Willas in order to keep the Tyrells in line. Either way the Lannisters will be negotiating from a weak position.

We are not getting Jon's resurrection this season.

Harington warned fans about Jon Snow's fate. "You can’t count on Jon Snow being safe," Harington said, "or Tyrion being safe or anyone being safe."

I just hope he gets resurrected eventually.

holy fuck what an episode. now that was a change I can totally live with. did not expect that. the white walkers are such scary mofos, boss as fuck. such a great design.

still not sure what to make of tyrion and dany and the whole shortcut.

The shortcut leaves so much out. I'm pretty impartial about it. I'm curious if they are going to leave it out entirely or sort of back track maybe with ser jorah or something. I really do enjoy dany and tyrions relationship so far though. Its pretty fascinating and I'm hopeful she might actual listen to counsel and stop being so boring this season :(

The white walker battle was fucking great. I'm anxious to learn why Jons sword killed it. Could valryian steel have obsidian within it or is that metal made of something else entirely? I honestly have no idea what to think in regards to it but I'm trying to think of who else has those swords. >.>

The shortcut leaves so much out. I'm pretty impartial about it. I'm curious if they are going to leave it out entirely or sort of back track maybe with ser jorah or something. I really do enjoy dany and tyrions relationship so far though. Its pretty fascinating and I'm hopeful she might actual listen to counsel and stop being so boring this season :(

The white walker battle was fucking great. I'm anxious to learn why Jons sword killed it. Could valryian steel have obsidian within it or is that metal made of something else entirely? I honestly have no idea what to think in regards to it but I'm trying to think of who else has those swords. >.>

Pretty sure Valyrian steel is forged from dragon breath.

Promo Spoiler:

http://i.imgur.com/ZQz8C6Y.jpg

Where is this NK for episode 10 stuff? I don't see any confirmation or even rumor about it anywhere.

Balon is in Ep 10. But Yara is not. Kevan is there, Pycelle is there, Varys is there. Interestingly, Littlefinger is NOT listed. In fact, we are not going to see Littlefinger at all this season again...very surprising.

Apart from that all the season characters from this season are in Ep 10.

Massa

Pretty sure Valyrian steel is forged from dragon breath.

That must be a pretty bad job for a dragon.

Drogon - Daenerys will ride you to conquer the north.

Rhaegal - Tyrion will ride you to conquer the south.

Viserion - you'll go to the armory and help forge some new weapons.

If the Nights King is confirmed for ep 10. That honestly says that Jon will be resurrected as a WW. They did just show him resurrect like a shit ton of free folk as WWs.

WW are different than the wights.

You know...I just realized. What if Jon is revived by the Night's King, but he becomes a sentient/intelligent wight like Coldhands? Maybe those with Stark blood can't be turned to wights (not saying Coldhands is of Stark blood...since no one really knows who he is..just a thought). Or maybe Jon wargs out, his body is revived by the Night's King, and then Jon wargs back in. I know it sounds crazy, but there are so many interesting theories about how Jon will be revived that I'm not sure if this has been mentioned at all. It's usually about Mel reviving him.

Rixxan

forgive me if this has been asked and answered thousands of times since ADWDs release but why is everyone so convinced that Jon will even require a resurrection? Is it not entirely possible that he is just substantially wounded and could be nursed back to health with typical maester solutions?

You know...I just realized. What if Jon is revived by the Night's King, but he becomes a sentient/intelligent wight like Coldhands. Maybe those with Stark blood can't be turned to wights. Or maybe Jon wargs out, his body is revived by the Night's King, and then Jon wargs back in. I know it sounds crazy, but there are so many interesting theories about how Jon will be revived that I'm not sure if this has been mentioned at all. It's usually about Mel reviving him.

I believe the prevailing theory on Coldhands is just that. Warged out, died, became a wight, Warged back in.

forgive me if this has been asked and answered thousands of times since ADWDs release but why is everyone so convinced that Jon will even require a resurrection? Is it not entirely possible that he is not just substantially wounded and could be nursed back to health with typical maester solutions?

If he dies, he may be alright with leaving the wall as his duty is over technically.

I believe the prevailing theory on Coldhands is just that. Warged out, died, became a wight, Warged back in.

Interesting. Yeah I think I remember that theory also, but I rarely see anyone mention it in reference to Jon being revived. It's usually about Mel reviving him and then Jon possibly warging back in. I guess it's just semantics at that point. Mel or Night's King revival...may not be different either way I suppose.

Kain

forgive me if this has been asked and answered thousands of times since ADWDs release but why is everyone so convinced that Jon will even require a resurrection? Is it not entirely possible that he is just substantially wounded and could be nursed back to health with typical maester solutions?

It ties with the Azor Ahai prophecy, he needs to die before becoming the savior. Also as someone said, it theoretically frees him from serving in the Watch if he wishes so.

someday

Banned
It honestly feels like it's moved faster than it has in the book. I don't know if that's accurate, but she hasn't even been in every episode and has only had 1 or 2 scenes in the episodes she has been in, so by necessity every scene progresses it a bit further. It's done a great job of conveying the mystery of the situation and we are learning bits and pieces along with Arya.

The sequence of events foxtrot laid out just seems like it would take up drastically more screentime that the show just logistically doesn't have the space for. Not to mention the inclusion of multiple traditional montages (literal training montages even!), something I can't recall the show ever doing.

They have all been extremely well shot, well written, well performed scenes. They may not be exactly lifted out of the books, but it seems extreme hyperbole to say they've "screwed up" the storyline or it's been "poorly handled," or to suggest that the execution of the Arya storyline is representative of the filmmakers being "hacks." There's very little I can see to complain about with her story this season, because at the very least it's been completely competently presented, unless your complaint is simply that it's too different from the books.
I agree with this. I've been pretty ok with the Arya stuff especially considering how little screen time she has gotten. I'm not sure how well explained it is for a non-book reader but for me it worked well.

gutshot

You know I also want to just take this time to vent about how much I hate the way they've screwed up Arya's training this season. What's the point of even bringing back Jaqen if he isn't even going to act like Jaqen H'gar, full of swagger and coolness? All of a sudden Arya has to be put through torture and hardship, she has to earn her place in the HOBW. What were fun and exciting chapters in the books with an interesting mysterious nature are now turned into boring, whisper talking, plain shot sequences in a dull room where Arya gets hit every now and then. Now, she's finally Cat of the Canals or rather "Lana," I guess D&D missed the whole reason she chose "Cat" as her name, but that seems like it's to be condensed to two damn episodes so the viewers barely have a chance to see her actually learn things. It's so poorly handled. And, it's not like I'm talking about needing extra time or locations they just went about everything wrong. It should have went like this:

1. Arya immediately gets into the House like in the books, witnesses man die, dude comes up asks her what she's doing here, skull face, Jaqen H'gar reveal.
2. Conversation with Jaqen, he says she shouldn't be here, she says she wants to be. Jaqen does the you're Arya Stark not "no one" speech. Arya gets rid of stuff, he says then it's time for her to serve.
3. Montage of Arya serving/training in the House. She cleans the floors, cleans the bodies, helps waif (who isn't a dumb bitch for no reason), lying game, etc.. Interspersed with conversations with Jaqen where he reveals Faceless Men back story. All throughout montage the backdoor is ominously present.
4. Arya is sent away to be Cat of the Canals. You can keep most of what that last episode showed, show the "Thin Man" but don't hint at any assassination. The montage is mostly focused on her telling Jaqen what she learns through traveling the city thus also opening viewers up to Braavos.
5. Meryn Trant arrives in the city with Mace Tyrell, Arya eventually kills Trant as Cat. She admits it to Jaqen, he says "who could have done such a thing?" She says Arya Stark. He then introduces her to the hidden back room with the faces.
6. Arya is sent to kill the "Thin Man," is probably given a new face. She poisons the coin and kills him. All hail Arya Faceless Girl.

Bam, I accomplished what needed to be done in 6 episodes without any non-sense, unimportant filler like Arya standing outside the House for a whole episode or pointless conversations with bitch waif. I've also left you 4 episodes to do whatever you like. That means you can have your whole ep. 8 Hardome without ever seeing Arya or a Dorne/KL focused episode as well.

How is this drastically different than what we got?

The Arya storyline has been fine. A bit slow and detached from the main plots, but then it suffered from that in the book as well. It is mostly an atmospheric and mysterious character journey for Arya and the show has pretty much nailed that IMO.

Yoda

Promo Spoiler:

http://i.imgur.com/ZQz8C6Y.jpg

Where is this NK for episode 10 stuff? I don't see any confirmation or even rumor about it anywhere.

Balon is in Ep 10. But Yara is not. Kevan is there, Pycelle is there, Varys is there. Interestingly, Littlefinger is NOT listed. In fact, we are not going to see Littlefinger at all this season again...very surprising.

Apart from that all the season characters from this season are in Ep 10.

Read it multiple time on asoif but I'm not actually able to find their source other than a dated imdb page so it could just be bogus. On a side tangent I don't see the purpose of them even having Kevan at this point. He's done nothing to date (in the show) and if they decide to have Varys' assassins cut him it will almost be if some random extra died to the unsullied.

Speevy

Banned
Arya's storyline has been among the best of this season.

I don't know how we're complaining about it. Well acted, well directed, and sensibly plotted.

kirblar

Read it multiple time on asoif but I'm not actually able to find their source other than a dated imdb page so it could just be bogus. On a side tangent I don't see the purpose of them even having Kevan at this point. He's done nothing to date (in the show) and if they decide to have Varys' assassins cut him it will almost be if some random extra died to the unsullied.
I suspect we see Kevan's death in S06E01 because of this. It's not really cuttable.

Speevy

Banned
Those promo photos totally refute the Reddit spoiler (as it there was any doubt) because there's not one mention of a Shireen/Davos scene.

Could Davos be planning to abscond with another sacrifice?

Brakke

Banned
Myrcella isn't in Dorne though, she's on her way back to KL with two Sand Snakes. My argument is that Tommen will die and Myrcella will be crowned in order to continue Lannister hold of the realm. Sure the crown is weak now, but it's still necessary to keep the peace and calm down allies.

A Myrcella crowning also opens up some interesting plot possibilities. Aegon is going to fight his way to the gates of KL eventually, and perhaps the Lannisters can attempt to offer a marriage alliance: Aegon marries Myrcella and becomes king. Or perhaps Myrcella is promised to Willas in order to keep the Tyrells in line. Either way the Lannisters will be negotiating from a weak position.

The Lannisters don't hold the realm. With the sparrows active they don't even hold King's Landing, really. Every one of the Seven Kingdoms is in or on the edge of active revolt. With Kevan dead there is no Lannister anymore. Just Cersei the broke, incompetent, and reviled.

The Iron Throne signifies power it doesn't grant power. Which families are even paying their taxes to the crown right now? The banners of the Reach alone. Maybe the Vale but that could end at any time and the Crown wouldn't be able to do anything about it. Who would answer if a crown called an army to oppose Aegon? Again the Reach, maybe the Vale, and whatever Westermen as have enough money left to hire soldiers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom