• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 5 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has this been giffed at all?

4:52 mins - https://youtu.be/LBCVr-AVbDE?t=4m52s
N2BCbac.gif

Speevy

Banned
It's funny how sweet and unimposing Alfie Allen looks in real life. Just another testament to how amazing his acting has been.

Jarmel

Banned
I'm behind on the season but just watched episode 4.

Oh god I'm so fucking angry.

Unsullied getting wrecked due to narrow passages? Are you fucking kidding me?

Iksenpets

Banned
I'm behind on the season but just watched episode 4.

Oh god I'm so fucking angry.

Unsullied getting wrecked due to narrow passages? Are you fucking kidding me?

Brace yourself for episode 6. And don't let it get you too down, things get better in the next two.

The problem with Ramsay is I have this feeling they are trying to make him this formidable and very hatable foe with his torturing and beating everyone shirtless and being unstoppable but really he just comes off as a slimey cunt. Or maybe they're going for both. Can't tell. There doesn't always have to be a joffrey.

jett

D-Member
Lol, the Sansa fans are probably the most passionate of any group. There's a large audience who self-project onto that character and who are convinced that she's going to be a complete badass by the end. Playing with the Sansa plot is playing with fire.

2808984-8160064697-post-.gif

Majmun

Loved the latest episode. The effects were pretty great. So much new stuff that still has to happen in the books.

Maybe has to happen, actually...
The show has created some kind of alternative ASOIAF universe anyway.

Masaki_

Interesting note: while I'm making this re-read thread I noticed something.

Despite being as long or longer than some books in the series, Feast actually has the LEAST amount of chapters. By nearly half.

GOT: 72
COK: 69
SOS: 81
FOC: 45
DOD: 72

Average without FOC: 73
Average with FOC: 67

I wonder if that contributes to people's lethargy with the book? We spend too much time with each POV?

I also realized that the titles, when shortened like that, look like a Grinder request by someone who can't spell. "GOT COK? SOS! FOC DOD! I NEDDIT".

AFFC is not actually that long. In the version I read, they increased line spacing such that each page had 10 lines fewer than ASOS. It was immediately noticeable coming from one book to the other.

Lothar

Banned
By good storytelling conventions and structure, Sansa is still going to become a badass leader or player at the end. By that I mean if she doesn't, then all of her chapters after Storm of Swords are a big waste of paper.

foxtrot3d

Banned
Lol, the Sansa fans are probably the most passionate of any group. There's a large audience who self-project onto that character and who are convinced that she's going to be a complete badass by the end. Playing with the Sansa plot is playing with fire.

I don't understand what is so far fetched about this idea it's pretty clear from the books that each Stark child is being groomed to have very specific and clear talents so that together they'll represent a larger powerful force capable of influencing events and providing a large contribution come end game.

Arya= Assassin.
Bran= Wizard.
Jon= Warrior/Battle Commander.
Sansa= Political Player.
Rickon= ...Shaggydog.

They're basically a classic D&D party group.

Massa

By good storytelling conventions and structure, Sansa is still going to become a badass leader or player at the end. By that I mean if she doesn't, then all of her chapters after Storm of Swords are a big waste of paper.

Quentyn sends his regards.

NSESN

Loved the latest episode. The effects were pretty great. So much new stuff that still has to happen in the books.

Maybe has to happen, actually...
The show has created some kind of alternative ASOIAF universe anyway.

i just accepted that the show and the books are different things now, that way i can apreciate the show more

Speevy

Banned
The problem book readers have always had is that while they can readily dismiss the deviations, they can't get the actors out of their head when they read.

It's pretty hard when you've been with them for so long.

Massa

The problem book readers have always had is that while they can readily dismiss the deviations, they can't get the actors out of their head when they read.

Gonna be really weird when GRRM has Arya and Jon hook up in the last book.

foxtrot3d

Banned

Eh, I don't have that problem. My imagination makes the characters in my head more unique, a few actors are perfect translation of what I have in my head but few are. Rather, most of the characters are a mish-mash of the actor and my own imagination. For example, in my head LF looks somewhat like Aiden Gillian but has none of his mannerisms or speech patterns.

i just accepted that the show and the books are different things now, that way i can apreciate the show more

tbh I have been really surprised at how close the adaptation has been to the books, all things considered.

The caliber of acting has also been better than I could have imagined. We bitch and moan but really it could have been so, so much worse. First of all, HBO picked it up. Second, it has like the biggest budget of any show ever?

I don't understand what is so far fetched about this idea it's pretty clear from the books that each Stark child is being groomed to have very specific and clear talents so that together they'll represent a larger powerful force capable of influencing events and providing a large contribution come end game.

Arya= Assassin.
Bran= Wizard.
Sansa= Political Player.
Rickon= ...Shaggydog.

Yup. Not to mention the final book was originally going to be called "A Time for Wolves."

Arya= Assassin.
Bran= Wizard.
Sansa= Political Player.
Rickon= ...Shaggydog.

Rickon would be Ranger (they get animal companions) and Sansa would be, uh... Noblewoman?

Has this been giffed at all?

4:52 mins - https://youtu.be/LBCVr-AVbDE?t=4m52s

My favourite part of that video is Mark Addy at the start going "I was told Sean Bean was gonna be here, he owes me a fiver."

I remember GRRM saying a few years ago that he was impressed and inspired by Natalia Tena's performance as Osha, saying that in the books she's a character he didn't particularly feel enthusiastic about but that her performance made him want to write more of her and gave him stronger ideas about how to characterize her. I'm expecting a decent amount of Osha/Rickon (finally) in TWOW.

Then again, he also said he really liked Ros, lol.

Majmun

I remember GRRM saying a few years ago that he was impressed and inspired by Natalia Tena's performance as Osha, saying that in the books she's a character he didn't particularly feel enthusiastic about but that her performance made him want to write more of her and gave him stronger ideas about how to characterize her. I'm expecting a decent amount of Osha/Rickon (finally) in TWOW.

Then again, he also said he really liked Ros, lol.

Too bad the show sent Osha to plothole limbo

Iksenpets

Banned

Arya= Assassin.
Bran= Wizard.
Sansa= Political Player.
Rickon= ...Shaggydog.

Oh, I didn't mean to cast any skepticism on the idea. I totally think that's where it's developing. I think anything else would probably be really disappointing. Like, Sansa is the one character I most expect to survive just because of how her arc has to pay off.

I just meant that Sansa has very protective fans who will lash out at any perceived deviation from that arc, probably more so than any other character. Sansa fans are really personally invested in the character in my experience.

tbh I have been really surprised at how close the adaptation has been to the books, all things considered.

The caliber of acting has also been better than I could have imagined. We bitch and moan but really it could have been so, so much worse. First of all, HBO picked it up. Second, it has like the biggest budget of any show ever?

Yeah, people underestimate how far they could have deviated. I'm sure there are producers out there who would have written out pretty much everything that wasn't Stark/Lannister/Targaryen. It could have been terrible. And yeah, the actors have been great. Like for every part I don't like about the show, I never want to see anyone try to redo it, because they're not going to nail the casting on characters like Arya and Sansa a second time.

Which is a thing adapted straight from the books (though at least ADWD begins some amount of momentum toward getting Rickon back). But that's really not a D&D problem, it's absolutely a GRRM problem (though I think it's intentional and that we're going to be pretty surprised by what's going on with Rickon by the time we see him).

Also, I really don't see Sansa being pregnant because that's just too much of a deviation from the books. D&D tend to sort of oscillate storylines around roughly the places they begin/end in the assorted books; I expect all of the Sansa/Winterfell business to end up converging roughly on where the books also go, despite taking a different path to get there.

Patriots7

Which is a thing adapted straight from the books (though at least ADWD begins some amount of momentum toward getting Rickon back). But that's really not a D&D problem, it's absolutely a GRRM problem (though I think it's intentional and that we're going to be pretty surprised by what's going on with Rickon by the time we see him).

Also, I really don't see Sansa being pregnant because that's just too much of a deviation from the books. D&D tend to sort of oscillate storylines around roughly the places they begin/end in the assorted books; I expect all of the Sansa/Winterfell business to end up converging roughly on where the books also go, despite taking a different path to get there.
If HtH gets Sansa pregnant in the books it's not that much of a deviation.
I mean, except for the fact that instead of her child in the books being the rightful heir to the Vale, Riverlands and potentially the North, show baby would just...actually Walda's kid is above Ramsay in line for the North.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
AFFC is not actually that long. In the version I read, they increased line spacing such that each page had 10 lines fewer than ASOS. It was immediately noticeable coming from one book to the other.
Yep, only GoT is shorter when you look at the word count.

A Game of Thrones: 295k
A Clash of kings: 322k
A Storm of Swords: 419k
A Feast for Crows: 298k
A Dance with Dragons: 415k

carlsojo

It wouldn't surprise me that instead of going to those weird isles that she just kind of hid out in a farmhouse near Winterfell. No one's looking for them. And then Stannis can conveniently take Rickon into custody, meaning he won't have to sacrifice Shireen as Rickon would technically have royal blood.
This is me wildly speculating before I leave for work.

Massa

If HtH gets Sansa pregnant in the books it's not that much of a deviation.
I mean, except for the fact that instead of her child in the books being the rightful heir to the Vale, Riverlands and potentially the North, show baby would just...actually Walda's kid is above Ramsay in line for the North.

Walda's kid? Ramsay will deal with that pretty easily.

Sansa is going to be as badass as her mother, you will see!

I actually thought Catelyn was a pretty strong character given her position as a noblewoman within Westeros. There's not many female characters in the series who have as much power and agency as her.
And I'd argue LSH is pretty damn badass, too.

Speevy

Banned
I actually thought Catelyn was a pretty strong character given her position as a noblewoman within Westeros. There's not many female characters in the series who have as much power and agency as her.
And I'd argue LSH is pretty damn badass, too.

She was probably the most powerful woman in Westeros aside from Cersei. She was stupid though.

She was probably the most powerful woman in Westeros aside from Cersei. She was stupid though.

Nah, Olenna's probably in a more powerful position, but Catelyn definitely is up there as well.
I wouldn't say she was stupid, though, rather than misinformed and a little ignorant of consequences.

Kyougar

she wasnt stupid, she was the most intelligent Person in Robbs camp.

She just didnt have anyone listen to her.

In the book, Roose knew Ramsay killed his kids and he didn't give a shit.

That would certainly be a boring twist. Sansa turns to Roose, hoping he'll sympathize over this information. He just laughs at her.
"Yeah, he does that."

We still dont know how honest he was to Theon when he told him in the books that he suspects Ramsay will kill his unborn son and that he doesnt give a shit because he probably isnt going to see his trueborn son hrow up.

Speevy

Banned
she wasnt stupid, she was the most intelligent Person in Robbs camp.

She just didnt have anyone listen to her.

She kidnapped the son of the most powerful man in Westeros, and let him go. Then she had another of their sons and let him go too. That's pretty bad.

Kyougar

She kidnapped the son of the most powerful man in Westeros, and let him go. Then she had another of their sons and let him go too. That's pretty bad.

Well, Ok, that was motherly stupid.

Other than that, she knew exactly how Robb fucks up his political alliances and strategic Advantages.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom