• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 5 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wait so I read somewhere (episode spoilers)
that Shireen agrees to be burned....

Is that consistent across stuff other people have read?

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
It's pretty confirmed at this point I guess.

It still could work in the speculated timeline. They could burn Shireen this ep and next episode Stannis and Jon die, Mel casts a spell or whatever.

Kain

Sacrificing her to ressurrect someone makes no sense, Thoros the drunk did it on multiple occasions without even knowing what he was doing and sacrificing no one.

It occurs to me that maybe Mel sacrifices her to get good weather or some bullshit.

Either way, Mel is a hack, maybe D&D are reflecting on her. smh

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
It's pretty confirmed at this point I guess.

It still could work in the speculated timeline. They could burn Shireen this ep and next episode Stannis and Jon die, Mel casts a spell or whatever.

If that's the case I hope that Davos is the one who kills Stannis

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Red priestesses can just bring people back to life with a chant.

Not all red priests/esses have the same level of skill, and I believe it's actually been suggested that despite her mystique Melisandre isn't a particularly noteworthy red priestess. I don't think the fact that others have done more with less precludes her from genuinely thinking she has to do it, especially with her level of fanaticism.

Kain

Yes. Stannis sends Davos to Castle Black and gets Shireen to agree to be burned. Yea, D&D have fucked this up for no reason.

What the fuck?

Stannis SENDS Davos to CONVINCE Shireen to AGREE to be burned? WHAT. I mean... WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT?

Now the Winterfell plot looks to me like D&D finest point.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
What the fuck?

Stannis SENDS Davos to CONVINCE Shireen to AGREE to be burned? WHAT. I mean... WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT?

No. Shireen is with Stannis.

foxtrot3d

Banned
Maybe she volunteers?
Is that why she looks like she's struggling to break free in the picture? Yeah, once again we see that D&D do not truly understand a character. If Stannis is really responsible for Shireen's burning then they truly don't get him even after including that lovey dovey heartwarming father-daughter scene. Book Stannis would not burn Shireen and Show Stannis should be even more opposed to such an action. And, it's not like we can say this is going to happen in the books either. Yes, Shireen may get burned but I doubt it's by Stannis who is far from the Wall and possibly dead. If it happens in the books it will be without his consent. The ONLY way I see this working is if Stannis gets injured in the episode by Ramsay's attack and perhaps even knocked unconscious and thus Melisandre takes things into her own hands. Also, where the fuck is Davos when all this is going down? Are you going to tell me Ramsay kills him?

What the fuck?

To clear up: Stannis sends Davos to Castle Black. So Stannis can burn Shireen without him there

foxtrot3d

Banned
To clear up: Stannis sends Davos to Castle Black. So Stannis can burn Shireen without him there

I refuse to believe D&D are this stupid (lol wtf am I talking about?). Like what, Davos will just continue to follow Stannis after he burned his fucking daughter? Davos may be loyal but he has his limits and this would be at the top.

Patriots7

I think D&D are doing the best job they can condensing the storyline to make it watchable for the unsullied.

Let's not judge them before we actually see the episode

I just want to add a caveat

While it looks like the leak is real, there is NO confirmation of this. In what order it happens we don't know.

Someone else said

Selsye tries to get Shireen burned but Stannis intervenes and her being distraught is at that point. Though knowing D&D Stannis burning Shireen and Selsye being distraught at that seems more likely.

Moff

personally i could see stannis doing it, if it's all or nothing and she would die anyway it could seem plausible, it would be a super hard decision because the scene with her in episode 4 set that up. I wouldn't say stannis would *never* do that.

but the weird thing would be seylse, she always loved melisandre more than anything, and never seemed particularly fond of shireen, both in the show and the books. so it would be strange if she was not in favor of this.

I just want to add a caveat

While it looks like the leak is real, there is NO confirmation of this. In what order it happens we don't know.

Someone else said

Selsye tries to get Shireen burned but Stannis intervenes and her being distraught is at that point. Though knowing D&D Stannis burning Shireen and Selsye being distraught at that seems more likely.

That makes a whole lot more sense considering the touching scene they had earlier in the season.

-griffy-

Banned
personally i could see stannis doing it, if it's all or nothing and she would die anyway it could seem plausible, it would be a super hard decision because the scene with her in episode 4 set that up. I wouldn't say stannis would *never* do that.

but the weird thing would be seylse, she always loved melisandre more than anything, and never seemed particularly fond of shireen, both in the show and the books. so it would be strange if she was not in favor of this.

I could see Selyse losing it as she talks a mean game but when faced with the reality can't handle it.

Speevy

Banned
Guys, you're really going over the line here. We have speculated that this was a possibility since last season.

Stannis has always had this choice waiting for him, and because you thought he was an unbelievable badass, you're now rejecting it.

Stannis watched as his wife's family was burned alive, and we've had multiple characters on this show tremble in fear at the idea of him and his red priestess ruling.

He's been with this woman since day one and just because you thought he'd eventually reject her (as in a traditional plot), it's now bad writing?

Stannis would have killed Gendry, an innocent boy. There are at least two precedents for this behavior.

It may have not been the way you wanted it to turn out, but it's very much in keeping with what we know of Stannis. He's a dutiful leader who will do absolutely anything to rule.

I could see Selyse losing it as she talks a mean game but when faced with the reality can't handle it.

image.php

foxtrot3d

Banned

This is more likely.

That makes a whole lot more sense considering the touching scene they had earlier in the season.

This doesn't make much sense either. You're saying that Selyse goes behind Stannis' back and orders his men to burn Shireen and that his men would then follow these orders and Melisandre would proceed with the ritual all without Stannis knowing initially? Yeah, I don't but that. Plus, what would be the purpose of such a scene? Why go through all of that setup with Shireen just for Stannis to wonder by and be like "Hey, what's going on here? Stop it."

-griffy-

Banned
Stannis is obviously not meant to be a fully sympathetic character. People want him to be sympathetic really hard for some reason, but his actions are far too complicated for it to be as simple as "Stannis is a cool dude who should be king," both in the book and the show.

Guys, you're really going over the line here. We have speculated that this was a possibility since last season.

Stannis has always had this choice waiting for him, and because you thought he was an unbelievable badass, you're now rejecting it.

Stannis watched as his wife's family was burned alive, and we've had multiple characters on this show tremble in fear at the idea of him and his red priestess ruling.

He's been with this woman since day one and just because you thought he'd eventually reject her (as in a traditional plot), it's now bad writing?

Stannis would have killed Gendry, an innocent boy. There are at least two precedents for this behavior.

It may have not been the way you wanted it to turn out, but it's very much in keeping with what we know of Stannis. He's a dutiful leader who will do absolutely anything to rule.
An innocent boy is slightly different to
]his only child dying in agony
though you make some decent points.

Ok, NOW this is why it happens.

Ramsay's attack completely destroys their supplies. Davos goes to CB to get more rations. Stannis realizes he is fucked and agrees to Mel's demand to burn Shireen.

foxtrot3d

Banned

Even if we limit our knowledge of Stannis to the show we are talking about the same Stannis who refused to send Shireen away or have her killed when she was born with greyscale and summoned every healer in the world to help her. So yeah...

Zabka

If he truly believes he is Azor Ahai reborn then sacrificing the one person he loves most is to be expected. I wouldn't be surprised if he's faced with the same choice in the next book.

Kain

Stannis is obviously not meant to be a fully sympathetic character. People want him to be sympathetic really hard for some reason, but his actions are far too complicated for it to be as simple as "Stannis is a cool dude who should be king," both in the book and the show.

But he is a cool dude who should be king. In the books, show Stannis is a different guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom