• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 5 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

-griffy-

Banned
I'm gonna post this again:
Season 2 episode 10:
ce75rg1.jpg

BqO14SL.jpg

Stannis is obviously not meant to be a fully sympathetic character. People want him to be really hard for some reason, but his actions are far too complicated for it to be as simple as "Stannis is a cool dude who should be king," both in the book and the show.

Yeah, I agree. The entire sense of duty/justice thing is mostly just a front, partly to mask his true, a lot more pragmatic self. Many of his actions have proven that (e.g. the employ of criminals like Davos or Mance. as well as the assassination of Courtney Penrose and, to a lesser extent, Renly). He's a very complex character, for sure.
But I'm not sure he'd be willing to burn his only child.

Speaking of which, I've recently been reading the Mannifesto, which I heavily recommend as it's a fantastic analysis of Stannis' campaign in the North and very compelling speculation.

Guys, you're really going over the line here. We have speculated that this was a possibility since last season.

Stannis has always had this choice waiting for him, and because you thought he was an unbelievable badass, you're now rejecting it.

Stannis watched as his wife's family was burned alive, and we've had multiple characters on this show tremble in fear at the idea of him and his red priestess ruling.

He's been with this woman since day one and just because you thought he'd eventually reject her (as in a traditional plot), it's now bad writing?

Stannis would have killed Gendry, an innocent boy. There are at least two precedents for this behavior.

It may have not been the way you wanted it to turn out, but it's very much in keeping with what we know of Stannis. He's a dutiful leader who will do absolutely anything to rule.

There would be a difference between others and his only child. I am not saying it is totally out of character, but just seems like a strange decision. It also continues to make the Winterfell storyline (which I was a fan of initially) make no sense.

Stannis is obviously not meant to be a fully sympathetic character. People want him to be sympathetic really hard for some reason, but his actions are far too complicated for it to be as simple as "Stannis is a cool dude who should be king," both in the book and the show.

It's because we have seen him lead the charge against unjust rulers and saving the ass of people we like.

Ok, NOW this is why it happens.

Ramsay's attack completely destroys their supplies. Davos goes to CB to get more rations. Stannis realizes he is fucked and agrees to Mel's demand to burn Shireen.

Even that feels idiotic. 20 men sneak into the camp and burn all the supply lines. Heavily defended supply lines, I might add. Oh I forgot this is D&D...maybe the supply lines aren't guarded at all!

If anything this confirms what I've long felt about D&D. They're poor writers who have severely misunderstood Martin's general approach to plotting. Martin's books are full of shocking events, but very few come out of nowhere. There is foreshadowing and a lot of groundwork for most of the things he does. He doesn't randomly pull a trick out his sleeve.

I don't care about adaptions being different from books; a film/tv adaption has to deviate from a novel, that's just the reality of the mediums. My problem isn't that things have been changed, my problem is that D&D have spent years constructing a variety of things that have no meaning or value. Their view of shock is to simply throw something out the window. It's hard to take anything seriously when the most random of decisions are made to "shock" the audience, regardless of what was established beforehand. It's like baking a cake: you put all the ingredients in the bowl, then you suddenly decide to remove the already cracked eggs from the bowl. You're fucking up your cake, dude.

Moff

But he is a cool dude who should be king. In the books, show Stannis is a different guy.

I think they did a great job to make him a cool dude this season, book stannis wasn't really a cool dude either before the end of ASOS.
so if they change that again it's not unlikely he will do something similiar in the books

Even that feels idiotic. 20 men sneak into the camp and burn all the supply lines. Heavily defended supply lines, I might add. Oh I forgot this is D&D...maybe the supply lines aren't guarded at all!

If anything this confirms what I've long felt about D&D. They're poor writers who have severely misunderstood Martin's general approach to plotting. Martin's books are full of shocking events, but very few come out of nowhere. There is foreshadowing and a lot of groundwork for most of the things he does. He doesn't randomly pull a trick out his sleeve.

I don't care about adaptions being different from books; a film/tv adaption has to deviate from a novel, that's just the reality of the mediums. My problem isn't that things have been changed, my problem is that D&D have spent years constructing a variety of things that have no meaning or value. Their view of shock is to simply throw something out the window. It's hard to take anything seriously when the most random of decisions are made to "shock" the audience, regardless of what was established beforehand. It's like baking a cake: you put all the ingredients in the bowl, then you suddenly decide to remove the already cracked eggs from the bowl. You're fucking up your cake, dude.

You just copy pasted your reply from reddit :p

-griffy-

Banned

Stannis burning Shireen wouldn't be coming out of nowhere. Not only has it been discussed this season already, but the foundations were laid as early as season 2.

Kain

I think they did a great job to make him a cool dude this season, book stannis wasn't really a cool dude either before the end of ASOS.
so if they change that again it's not unlikely he will do something similiar in the books

I refuse to believe that D&D are actually spoiling content from TWOW, but that's just me.

In fact, knowing Stannis as we know him

at this point I think book Stan would die before putting her daughter at risk.

Speevy

Banned
Even if we limit our knowledge of Stannis to the show we are talking about the same Stannis who refused to send Shireen away or have her killed when she was born with greyscale and summoned every healer in the world to help her. So yeah...

Right, he loves her very much, but not because she is his sweet little baby. It's because she is a princess and he is a king.

She is precious to him because she represents his bloodline, and if she serves her purpose by helping him climb the steps of the iron throne, then so be it.

I'm sure she'd still be at Dragonstone if Stannis looked at her the same way Tywin looked at Tyrion.

Let's look at this logically.

-Stannis agrees to burn Gendry
-Stannis agrees to burn the Florents
-Stannis leads his own men onto the battlefield after most of them have died of wildfire without concern for the cost.
-Stannis burns Mance Rayder when he didn't have to simply because the man wouldn't kneel to him. What purpose did this serve? He'll never see or rule over the wildlings even with Mance alive.
-Stannis won't even bargain with the iron banker.
-Stannis tries to murder Melisandre because he feels like her prophecies are lies.

Stannis Baratheon is a cold, hard man who sees only duty. He doesn't care about anything but his God-given right to rule.

Kain

There is some more disturbing information in those spoilers concerning the wonderful Dorne plot

Doran agrees to send Myrcella back to KL accompanied by Trystane? wut

Unless in the last episode he sends the SS after them with orders of killing everyone in KL that makes almost as much sense as Sansa in WF marrying the Invincible man.

foxtrot3d

Banned
Right, he loves her very much, but not because she is his sweet little baby. It's because she is a princess and he is a king.

She is precious to him because she represents his bloodline,
and if she serves her purpose by helping him climb the steps of the iron throne, then so be it.

I'm sure she'd still be at Dragonstone if Stannis looked at her the same way Tywin looked at Tyrion.

Let's look at this logically.

-Stannis agrees to burn Gendry
-Stannis agrees to burn the Florents
-Stannis leads his own men onto the battlefield after most of them have died of wildfire without concern for the cost.
-Stannis burns Mance Rayder when he didn't have to simply because the man wouldn't kneel to him. What purpose did this serve? He'll never see or rule over the wildlings even with Mance alive.
-Stannis won't even bargain with the iron banker.
-Stannis tries to murder Melisandre because he feels like her prophecies are lies.

Stannis Baratheon is a cold, hard man who sees only duty. He doesn't care about anything but his God-given right to rule.

Was that the purpose of that hug scene? Or what about his visits to Shireen those past seasons where he speaks to her like a loving father showing his human side? If she purely represented his bloodline he would have had her killed or shipped away so that it wouldn't be seen that his bloodline was tainted or cursed. No. The purpose of all his past interactions with Shireen in the show was the show that he actually loves his daughter.

It's not unbelievable to me that if Stannis thinks the red god will give him the throne, the red god will also give him an heir.

And if he's not meant to have the throne, killing a child is one of the unforgivable sins in most storytelling so....

Speevy

Banned
Was that the purpose of that hug scene?

He says "You do not belong with the bloody stone men. You are the princess Shireen of house Baratheon and you are my daughter."

She hugs him. That fits exactly what I said. Because Stannis is who he is, he values Shireen as a part of his royal bloodline.

Or what about his visits to Shireen those past seasons where he speaks to her like a loving father showing his human side? r.

Can you link me to these loving scenes? I only remember one where she's talking to him like a normal person and he's all stoic and distant.

Not exactly.
Stannis is a cold, hard man who sees only duty, yes, but duty to whom? To his family, and the subjects he presumes to rule.

Duty to his wife didn't prevent him from making shadow babies with Melisandre.

The first one was created only by Melisandre's own agenda, Stannis did not intend to kill Renly with a Shadow Assassin, which is reflected by his reaction upon learning that, and generally when remembering Renly. He only consciously uses it with Penrose.
And of course, Melisandre is a temptress and a sorceress, perhaps even more.

Speevy

Banned
Both the books and the show have Stannis at a place where he can't possibly win against Roose Bolton without a major change in fortunes.

He's outnumbered, starving, freezing, and something has to change.

All D&D have done is create a situation where he takes matters into his own hands and changes his own fortunes.

It's not a popular decision, and it may make you hate him, but equating this with putting Sansa in Winterfell or Ironborn afraid of dogs is lunacy.

Stannis has been seduced by the red lady since the beginning.

In the show, rejecting her advice means death. You'd rather have him die than kill his daughter, as would I. But he doesn't take that path.

NSESN

Eh...I have more problem with
Selyse not wanting her daughter to be burned than Stannis doing it
to be honest.

it's like they reversed the characters, seriously i don't think it will happen that way in the books, Martin is not that bad at writing

Both the books and the show have Stannis at a place where he can't possibly win against Roose Bolton without a major change in fortunes.

All D&D have done is create a situation where he takes matters into his own hands and changes his own fortunes.

It's not a popular decision, and it may make you hate him, but equating this with putting Sansa in Winterfell or Ironborn afraid of dogs is lunacy.

Stannis has been seduced by the red lady since the beginning.

In the show, rejecting her advice means death. You'd rather have him die than kill his daughter, as would I. But he doesn't take that path.

Yet Balon still lives.

Zabka

The first one was created only by Melisandre's own agenda, Stannis did not intend to kill Renly with a Shadow Assassin, which is reflected by his reaction upon learning that, and generally when remembering Renly. He only consciously uses it with Penrose.
And of course, Melisandre is a temptress and a sorceress, perhaps even more.

The first one (and the second) was created by Melisandre's agenda and Stannis cheating on his wife. That's my point. Duty to family is far outweighed by his belief that he is the rightful King of Westeros.

But the situation in the books is entirely different. Stannis has Theon and fArya, which is going to draw out the Boltons - the acquisition of fArya weakens the Boltons' claim to the North and Winterfell. And there's a good reason why Stannis is camping in the crofter's village. It's very likely that he'll defeat the Frey forces.

Dysun

Just when I thought the last two episodes were turning around some of the shit decisions they've made this year we get this. d & d don't get
Stannis
and never have

Don't buy for a minute that Stannis would sacrifice Shireen in either the show or the books, she's his daughter, literally the only person he cares about. It's not some bastard boy he's never met, or some tangentially connected family member of his wife
Even if Ramsay and 20 men completely decimate his chances in the upcoming battle, which is stupid enough to begin with, he would rather lose and send them back to Castle Black to raise a sellsword army, like he deals with Justin Massey & Tycho Nestoris

Kain

I'm considering joining Ramsay the inmortal team: he is inmortal, fights in the snow without a shirt, bones Sansa AND Myranda, has a personal slave and can destroy armies with 20 good men.

#TEAMRAMSAYTHENEWKINGINTHENORTH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom