• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 5 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.
So GRRM told them. Hahahahahaha.

Where does this leave the D&D are SICK, everything they do is just for SHOCK crowd now?

Honestly, the hyperbole this season in this thread has been ridiculous.

From reddit:

Half my army is made up of unbelievers. I will have no burnings. Pray harder.
-Stannis, ADWD.

Lol, let's burn my daughter.
-Stannis, S5E9

Also someone pointed out that this is the guy who held Storm's End

Euron

Congrats GRRM, you've been so against fanfiction yet due to your slow ass pace you've let other people destroy your work and characters with a form of media that will be remembered better than your books.

They've gone and completely murdered Stannis' character now. This is the guy who has said "It doesn't matter if I die, back my daughter and keep fighting" yet he does not protest at all in his daughter's murder. Hell, the roles between Stannis and Selyse should have been swapped. If Melisandre ordered the sacrifice without Stannis' consent and Stannis came to see his daughter burning, then ordered Melisandre to be executed, then I would have been ok with the scene, as disturbing as it was.

The fact of the matter is D&D have no clue what they're working with. ASOIAF isn't the way it is just because of shocks. It's because of the cohesiveness of the plot. Literally everything in the books has happened for a reason. Ned's death and the Red Wedding were some of the most shocking moments in entertainment history but they created storylines and developed characters. This season has just been shocking for the sake of being shocking. They've actually killed character development by trying to be edgy. Don't like Stannis D&D? There are so many characters, you can't like them all. Hell I hated the Sam and Brienne chapters in book 4 but you have to deal with it in order to move the story forward. GRRM couldn't have approved of something like this but it's too late now.

The story is going to be finished long before its creator even enters its final act and it will be butchered some more on screen. And he has nobody to blame but himself.

Edit: Wait the burning was GRRM's idea? wat?

So GRRM told them. Hahahahahaha.

Where does this leave the D&D are SICK, everything they do is just for SHOCK crowd now?

Honestly, the hyperbole this season in this thread has been ridiculous.

Have you read the Theon chapter from TWoW? BookStannis would clearly sacrifice himself before he let someone kill Shireen. I have no doubt that Melisandre (alone not with the help of Stannis) will sacrifice Shireen to resurrect Jon, but that's clearly not going to happen on the show. And while I don't want her to do it in the books, I can see why GRRM would do it that way: Jon is the hero everyone has been rooting for. But is his life more important than Shireen's life?

What D&D have done is nonsense. They're clowns.

Hamlet

Reddit's saying the burning was GRRM's idea.
Interesting. Wonder what this means for her fate in the books.

Can you blame the Korra fans? Everything was downhill after episode 2.
AivLfGM.gif

duckroll

You know, I have to say, while I think many parts of the episode was really bad, it sure had fire in it. I think that many audiences will be giving it a warm reception, and on a whole it was well done.

Okay... I'll step aside now.

From reddit:

-Stannis, ADWD.

-Stannis, S5E9

Have you read the Theon chapter from TWoW? BookStannis would clearly sacrifice himself before he let someone kill Shireen. I have no doubt that Melisandre (alone not with the help of Stannis) will sacrifice Shireen to resurrect Jon, but that's clearly not going to happen on the show. And while I don't want her to do it in the books, I can see why GRRM would do it that way: Jon is the hero everyone has been rooting for. But is his life more important than Shireen's life?

You should email this to GRRM. Poor man doesn't know his own character apparently.

Wow that's not bad on Dany part. I like the show's take on it
Dany part is not boring like the book.
The Aria part following them was Dexter like stupid

Jigorath

Banned
I really don't see how book Stannis gets to a point where he's willing to burn Shireen. He was just talking about putting her on the throne in case he dies. He refuses to burn any of his men. Like, what the fuck?

Congrats GRRM, you've been so against fanfiction yet due to your slow ass pace you've let other people destroy your work and characters with a form of media that will be remembered better than your books.

They've gone and completely murdered Stannis' character now. This is the guy who has said "It doesn't matter if I die, back my daughter and keep fighting" yet he does not protest at all in his daughter's murder. Hell, the roles between Stannis and Selyse should have been swapped. If Melisandre ordered the sacrifice without Stannis' consent and Stannis came to see his daughter burning, then ordered Melisandre to be executed, then I would have been ok with the scene, as disturbing as it was.

The fact of the matter is D&D have no clue what they're working with. ASOIAF isn't the way it is just because of shocks. It's because of the cohesiveness of the plot. Literally everything in the books has happened for a reason. Ned's death and the Red Wedding were some of the most shocking moments in entertainment history but they created storylines and developed characters. This season has just been shocking for the sake of being shocking. They've actually killed character development by trying to be edgy. Don't like Stannis D&D? There are so many characters, you can't like them all. Hell I hated the Sam and Brienne chapters in book 4 but you have to deal with it in order to move the story forward. GRRM couldn't have approved of something like this but it's too late now.

The story is going to be finished long before its creator even enters its final act and it will be butchered some more on screen. And he has nobody to blame but himself.

YX6ZTJ2.gif

Amir0x

Banned
From reddit:

-Stannis, ADWD.

-Stannis, S5E9

In the books, it's not that it's unlikely Shireen will be burnt... it's that it makes no plausible sense that Stannis is going to be the one to do it. In the show, the changes they did make are not enough to justify Stannis getting to that point either. But on top of trying to get him to that point, they allowed Ramsay to have the most ridiculous success conceived yet in the show. Everything that was the event and everything that led up to the event was absurd.

If GRRM writes that Stannis burns Shireen in the books, he rightfully should be lambasted for it. Atrocious characterization then.

I'm okay with the Shireen burning and I think it will happen in the books.

I'm not okay with Dragon getting fucked up by spears. Dude should be unstoppable and not just sit there and eat spears from 50 enemies.

He sends a raven to Mel asking him to burn her? Honestly we are now in major book spoiler territory that I didn't realize we'd get in this season.

No way this is happening. In ADWD, Stannis tells queen's men to shut up when they want to burn some guys to stop the storm. He's not going to then write a letter so they can burn his daughter and only heir at the Wall.

Garret

Yes. Barristan takes him hostage at the end of DwD so I'm guessing they just removed them both from the plotline since one depended on the other.

So we are to take that he had nothing to do with the SotH, or that he just wasn't that important in the grand scheme of things.

jett

D-Member
Harpies taming Drogon? Really? Dragons, let alone the reincarnation of Balerion, can take on entire armies by themselves if I'm remembering this right.

The harpies the best trained warriors in all of Essos, Westeros and Southyros put together.

Nevermind that they're supposed to be noble silverspoon'd dipshits. Best warriors evar.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Hey-yo, episode 6 finally has a match.

What a shit spectacle! My room is actually stinking because of this episode.

But there we go again, book Stannis and show Stannis are two different characters. Show Stannis isn't in book Stannis' position and visa versa.

The books are the books, the show is the show.

LordCanti

Where do I go to watch the thing where they say this was GRRM's idea and that it happens in the books?

I really don't see how book Stannis gets to a point where he's willing to burn Shireen. He was just talking about putting her on the throne in case he dies. He refuses to burn any of his men. Like, what the fuck?

Taking a wild guess I'd say that Stannis sees Jon Snow resurrected, holding the true Lightbringer, and loses his goddamn mind.

Betty

Banned
No way this is happening. In ADWD, Stannis tells queen's men to shut up when they want to burn some guys to stop the storm. He's not going to then write a letter so they can burn his daughter and only heir at the Wall.

And 2 episodes ago show Stannis completely rebuked Mel's idea of burning his daughter, yet now we have this.

It'll probably happen in the books.

No its called being a Star Wars fan during the late 90s/early 00s and listening to pages after pages of fanboy complaints only to have the very same people be first in line when the new film comes out.

So was I. I was there on opening weekend for TPM, if you want to compare nerd cred.

Doesn`t change that a large number of people have checked out.

Massa

The harpies the best trained warriors in all of Essos, Westeros and Southyros put together.

Nevermind that they're supposed to be noble silverspoon'd dipshits. Best warriors evar.

Where did you see that the harpies are supposed to be nobles? Not on the show I'm sure, they're probably sellswords.

Snake

Haven't seen the episode yet and it's very possible that I'll dislike it as much as many here, but I can say with certainty that if The Winds of Winter had already been released, 95% of the outrage here likely wouldn't exist. These reactions are pretty funny tbh.

Man, this show is really bad now.

Nobody properly explained to the show runners the plot of ADWD I guess, and they didn't realize the implications of having the only major "not white" faction in the show having actually been treacherous the whole time, as opposed to the books where the peace between Dany and the Harpy is real, she just thinks otherwise because she's bored and paranoid. But I guess the showrunners didn't pick up on that. Or they just don't care.

Stannis moment was super cool though, but it was kind of ruined by how his wife acted.

Haven't seen the episode yet and it's very possible that I'll dislike it as much as many here, but I can say with certainty that if The Winds of Winter had already been released, 95% of the outrage here likely wouldn't exist. These reactions are pretty funny tbh.
As much as I hated Jon staring down Lord Voldemort, all of my biggest problems have been with scenes that already happened in the books. They honestly don't seem to understand the character arcs of anybody in ADWD, and have replaced it with stuff that's stupider.

I guess I'm just saying I think whoever is writing this stuff is like an actual idiot with a low IQ.

Dont' they also pay commoners to be part of cause as well?

Doesn't make it not silly but still....

Szeth

Absolutely cackled when Benioff said "When George first told us about this" on the inside the episode. Makes all the salt even funnier

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom