• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 5 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

jett

D-Member
How the fuck do 20 men roll into a camp that should be guarded day and night against surprise attacks and not only destroy the food supplies but the siege weapons too?

Like what the fuck? They got ALL of the siege weapons? Was Ramsay a spec ops commander in a previous life?

They were using optical camo, obviously.

mgs.261.png

It's just like one of my western HBO shows...

bengraven

Reading books full of child murder, rape, pedophiles - "this is great shit, can't wait to see it on screen"

Watching tv show adaptation of book that shows child murder, rape, pedophiles - "I'M NEVER WATCHING THIS AGAIN FUCK YOU SICK PEOPLE".

SpaceHorror

In the inside the episode and the EW interview, D&D kept saying it was earned. No it wasn't. It was contrived. God mode Ramsay burns his supplies and we are told Stannis is in a no win situation and he just burns his daughter.

I realize that maybe the showrunners felt like they didn't have time to drag it out, but I feel like Ramsay's sneak attack should have happened earlier. That way we could have seen Stannis' army suffer and the morale grow weaker as men die, that way when he eventually comes to the decision if feels earned. It would still be terrible and I'd still count myself out of Team Stannis (at least for the show for now), but at least it would have felt earned.

Not just, lol burn her.

Ramsay is basically a villain sue at this point.

Nothing about him is believable because he just continues to pull off more and more shit that should completely backfire on him with zero repercussions.

Yep Ramsay for some reason has become smarter then his dad and stannis an can do no wrong. That villain armor is sound might as well crown him the king.

Arkeband

Banned
I really wasn't a fan of the Pit CGI. The only half decent shot was the dragon roaring in Dany's face. They completely fucked the depth of the upper stands of the coliseum - the people would have been like 3 feet tall. It took me out of it, and it just seemed like a giant clusterfuck.

From what I'm reading, a bunch of people are saying fuck GRRM too if he signed off on that. And I agree with those people.
"Fuck GRRM. Why would Ned die? He's the hero!"

Anyway, people who assume Stannis will literally burn Shireen are kinda missing the point I think. It's probably much more likely he burns Theon to save the day at Winterfell (if anyone at all), and someone else burns Shireen.

So Stannis, the man who held Storm's End for a year eating rats and didn't give up decides 2 hours after his supplies are burnt that he obviously needs to burn his daughter and only heir. Okay that makes sense.

The burning scene (no matter how dumb the whole thing is) should have occurred a few episodes ago to show his desperation building. Instead he's like "well shit, I guess I need to burn my daughter now."

Stannis is probably going to die next episode or early in S6 by Brienne anyway.

I really wasn't a fan of the Pit CGI. The only half decent shot was the dragon roaring in Dany's face. They completely fucked the depth of the upper stands of the coliseum - the people would have been like 3 feet tall. It took me out of it, and it just seemed like a giant clusterfuck.

It was

duckroll

I don't get the reactions to Ramsay. It's easily the most consistent element in the entire show. Which part of Unstoppable Badass Motherfucker do you people not understand? It's probably written right there in the casting sheet!

In the inside the episode and the EW interview, D&D kept saying it was earned. No it wasn't. It was contrived. God mode Ramsay burns his supplies and we are told Stannis is in a no win situation and he just burns his daughter.

I realize that maybe the showrunners felt like they didn't have time to drag it out, but I feel like Ramsay's sneak attack should have happened earlier. That way we could have seen Stannis' army suffer and the morale grow weaker as men die, that way when he eventually comes to the decision if feels earned. It would still be terrible and I'd still count myself out of Team Stannis (at least for the show for now), but at least it would have felt earned.

Not just, lol burn her.

Yeah, that`s what I thought. Instead of having the build-up be limited to a few minutes before the torching, it should have happened two or three episodes ago, with his men getting increasingly desperate as he tries to calm them down, then Mel or Selyse going behind his back and performing the ritual with him arriving too late to do anything (and maybe even begrudgingly agreeing that it was the right thing to do).

This just comes off as contrived and out of left field.

I don't get the reactions to Ramsay. It's easily the most consistent element in the entire show. Which part of Unstoppable Badass Motherfucker do you people not understand? It's probably written right there in the casting sheet!

There`s a difference in making someone a Villain Sue like Spike from Buffy The Vampire Slayer (where he`s an unrepentant asshole for a long time, but you like him because he does cool things) and someone like Ramsey (who does unrepentant things and is hated by the audience, but is still played up as cool by the showrunners when he really isn`t).

Olly is still stupid, and it's going to shitty when he stabs Jon. Hopefully Wun Wun whacks him up against some walls.

Meryn Trant is a pedo, sure whatever.

Is Myrcella gonna get disfigured or what?

The fights in the pit were pretty lame.

When the Sons of the Harpies first appeared, the music made me laugh pretty hard.

Drogon looked alright. Dany riding Drogon looked worse than (or at best on par with) the Neverending Story, and that movie is 30 years old. Hopefull she has greyscale, but I'll settle for intense diarrhea next episode.

I'm pretty sure Ramsay is Azor Ahai with all the shit he can pull off. Crazy how all twenty guys managed to sabotage all of Stannis most important stuff without anyone noticing. The Northerners know the land... what fucking ever. It was all just stupid setup for...

Buring Shireen. I'm pretty sure this well happen in some form in the books. But it'll probably be set up better and make more sense and not rushed to fuck as it is here. The Lord of Light can't even kill all the three kings he's supposed to nor can Melisandre see some fire in her fucking fire. I just don't buy Stannis willing to burn Shireen at this point. But whatever.

Lothar

Banned
Ramsay is basically a villain sue at this point.

Nothing about him is believable because he just continues to pull off more and more shit that should completely backfire on him with zero repercussions.

Ramsay is becoming a hero at this point. At least Ramsay hasn't burned or flayed a child that I can remember. Go team Ramsay.

Stannis defeats Boltons, Brienne kills Stannis, Sansa unites the North. No fucking clue what is going to happen with Jon since the popular theory has been blown to hell with this week.

erawsd

Obviously the Sons of the Harpy got training from Ramsey.

I mean how else do you explain some old ex-slave masters being master fighters.

What gave you the impression that they were master fighters? They were being cut down like nothing. Theres just so many of them that they can easily overwhelm, it seemed like a lot of their kills were backstabs.

Jigorath

Banned
So Stannis, the man who held Storm's End for a year eating rats and didn't give up decides 2 hours after his supplies are burnt that he obviously needs to burn his daughter and only heir. Okay that makes sense.

And people are still going to try and say this shit was in-character for Stannis.

jett

D-Member

The King in the North!

I see it now. He will single-handedly take care of the others. Because how couldn't he!?

Jarmel

Banned
Burning your own daughter makes zero sense whether it's in the books or presented here. It lowers morale and your reputation across the kingdom. You're now known as the man who burned his only daughter alive. Stannis now has no heirs to succeed him. Not to mention Davos isn't going to play along once he hears this shit.

You then have the show stupidity in that he sold his daughter out for some good weather. I mean at least with 'Gendry', he killed off three kings. Then there is the mother all of a sudden freaking out which makes absolutely zero fucking sense. It would been better for Stannis to have that reaction. Not to mention all those wonderful scenes showing that Stannis does love his daughter. Well I guess not enough to not burn her alive.

bengraven

Drogon ran out of MP. Your version of the show doesn't have the UI overlay?

And dragons get a 100% stamina boost when their health hits 50%.

Burning your own daughter makes zero sense whether it's in the books or presented here. It lowers morale and your reputation across the kingdom. You're now known as the man who burned his only daughter alive. Stannis now has no heirs to succeed him. Not to mention Davos isn't going to play along once he hears this shit.

You then have the show stupidity in that he sold his daughter out for some good weather. I mean at least with 'Gendry', he killed off three kings. Then there is the mother all of a sudden freaking out which makes absolutely zero fucking sense. It would been better for Stannis to have that reaction. Not to mention all those wonderful scenes showing that Stannis does love his daughter. Well I guess not enough to not burn her alive.

I think Davos was sent away for the same reason. Once he reunites with Stannis in both medias I think we'll get a large scene where Davos finally loses all faith in the man. He will likely finally attempt to murder Mel as well.

And as for it being the same man?

"Hundreds of your own people will die"
"Thousands" *shrugs*

Kerned

Banned
From what I'm reading, a bunch of people are saying fuck GRRM too if he signed off on that. And I agree with those people.
But it wouldn't be anything out of the ordinary in the world of the books. Shitty shit happens all the time. It's awful, but it's par for the course.

Jarmel

Banned
What gave you the impression that they were master fighters? They were being cut down like nothing. Theres just so many of them that they can easily overwhelm, it seemed like a lot of their kills were backstabs.

They're going through Unsullied like they're carving a cake.

I really hope the "but guys GoT kills people you should have expected it" meme dies. GRRM kills characters when they both create more plot lines and are the result of the character's tragic (in the literary sense) mistakes. Sheeran's death certainly wasn't the latter and would have to be streched pretty hard to be the former.

Then there is the mother all of a sudden freaking out which makes absolutely zero fucking sense.

I don't understand why people have a problem with this. Even a fanatic can lose it when their daughter is being burned alive and begging for their help in front of them. There's absolutely nothing hard to believe about her reaction.

Anyway, people who assume Stannis will literally burn Shireen are kinda missing the point I think. It's probably much more likely he burns Theon to save the day at Winterfell (if anyone at all), and someone else burns Shireen.

I get what you're going for, but it's quite a bit different for a lot of people when it's a kid and you hear the whole grisly thing. They didn't do that with the two substitutes Theon used for Bran and Rickon yet here no fucks given.

On the plus side I guess we know the King on the Iron Throne or the King Beyond the Wall or the King in the North or any of those guys aren't the one true king. Clearly it's the King of the Edge. XD

I don't understand why people have a problem with this. Even a fanatic can lose it when their daughter is being burned alive and begging for their help in front of them. There's absolutely nothing hard to believe about her reaction.

I think it's because she's a complete jackass in the show and the books prior to this event and more people expected her to take the stance Stannis did in this scene.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom