• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 5 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really hope the "but guys GoT kills people you should have expected it" meme dies. GRRM kills characters when they both create more plot lines and are the result of the character's tragic (in the literary sense) mistakes. Sheeran's death certainly wasn't the latter and would have to be streched pretty hard to be the former.
I mean... There's not a tiny possibility that Stanis following Rhllor is a giant complete mistake

Brienne is actually going to be the one true Queen.

I seriously hope she just dies as soon as possible. Like she tries to go kill Stannis but then trips over herself and gets eaten by an ice dragon or something. She's one of the stupidest people in all of Westeros, and has managed to be one of the least all-around (we're talking in terms of "doing stuff" and character arcs) entertaining people in both the books and the show.

I mean... There's not a tiny possibility that Stanis following Rhllor is a giant complete mistake
Definitely! But he doesn't really have any reason to think that.

I really hope the "but guys GoT kills people you should have expected it" meme dies. GRRM kills characters when they both create more plot lines and are the result of the character's tragic (in the literary sense) mistakes. Sheeran's death certainly wasn't the latter and would have to be streched pretty hard to be the former.

The former is pretty obvious, but the latter shows what kind of leader Stannis is; one who puts his duty before all else. That's either gonna be his downfall or his key to success, but it's tragic either way. The person saying "Fuck GRRM" because of this obviously thinks he's just killing off all his favorite characters without bothering to think about why those characters are dying lol.

Going to need to hear Martin's actual comment. The video makes it sound like Martin revealed this as a book plot, which is quite different from Martin suggesting it as a plot for the show. It doesn't make sense to happen in the book. Stannis goes back to the Wall and burns Shireen? How? Why?

I have a feeling Martin told them Shireen is burned and they added Stannis into the picture. OR Martin suggested Stannis burn Shireen in the show.

Right, you know, Book Stannis, the guy who says this:

"It may be that we shall lose this battle," the king said grimly. "In Braavos you may hear that I am dead. It may even be true. You shall find my sellswords nonetheless."
The knight hesitated. "Your Grace, if you are dead — "
" — you will avenge my death, and seat my daughter on the Iron Throne. Or die in the attempt."

That's not to say that Shireen won't get roasted at some point in the books, which is likely what GRRM was saying. But its the "how" that gets me and its a problem I feel like the show has had for a while now. They're keeping big moments from the books in many cases but they're not doing the necessary buildup to some of these character defining moments to have them feel earned or make any sense. With Stannis here, it makes next to zero sense, even if we're looking at it only from the POV of the show.

The "earning" of that scene relies on Ramsay Ex Machina pulling a Joker from TDK and materializing out of nowhere to burn down all the supplies of a massive army. And then for Stannis to basically guarantee he'll have the shortest reign as king ever, even if he wins because he now has no heir.

Anyone else really surprised none of Stannis' soldiers said anything or shouted out? I guess there's no way to do King's Men and Queen's Men on the show, but poor man's Tim Curry looked ready to start some shit.

Because nothing is better for morale than burning a small child at a stake!

In behind the episode they say "when George told us Stannis was going to do that we couldn't believe it!"

So...yeah

GRRM has got to be trolling the showrunners at this point. Then again, D&D have the perfect excuse for anything from this point on- "George told us to do it!"

I don't understand why people have a problem with this. Even a fanatic can lose it when their daughter is being burned alive and begging for their help in front of them. There's absolutely nothing hard to believe about her reaction.

The whole dialog even hinted at it. Selyse lost her shit when she started yelling out Mother

Jarmel

Banned
I don't understand why people have a problem with this. Even a fanatic can lose it when their daughter is being burned alive and begging for their help in front of them. There's absolutely nothing hard to believe about her reaction.

Her change of heart is like way too late and sudden for that to be believable. She's convincing him then a second later, "Oh wait no I can't do it". They should have her kept mouth shut at the bare minimum to make it seem like she's seriously contemplating. It comes off as too much of a turn-heel and bad acting.

Vhagar

Neo Member
Burning your own daughter makes zero sense whether it's in the books or presented here. It lowers morale and your reputation across the kingdom. You're now known as the man who burned his only daughter alive. Stannis now has no heirs to succeed him. Not to mention Davos isn't going to play along once he hears this shit.

You then have the show stupidity in that he sold his daughter out for some good weather. I mean at least with 'Gendry', he killed off three kings. Then there is the mother all of a sudden freaking out which makes absolutely zero fucking sense. It would been better for Stannis to have that reaction. Not to mention all those wonderful scenes showing that Stannis does love his daughter. Well I guess not enough to not burn her alive.

"Good weather" is a ridiculous exaggeration. Him and his entire army would have froze and died in the snow.
Selyse freaking out makes sense to me. She may believe Melisandre's shit when they're talking about it and think its the right thing to do, but when the time comes to actually burn Shireen, she realises how terrible it is.

Amir0x

Banned
I seriously hope she just dies as soon as possible. Like she tries to go kill Stannis but then trips over herself and gets eaten by an ice dragon or something. She's one of the stupidest people in all of Westeros, and has managed to be one of the least all-around (we're talking in terms of "doing stuff" and character arcs) entertaining people in both the books and the show.

You're just jealous of her rad romance with Podrick.

Kerned

Banned
My general enjoyment of the episode notwithstanding, I thought the whole pit scene was a huge letdown. Also, completely cutting the Quentin stuff, even if that material were to have been given to a different character, was a mistake. Someone trying to steal the dragons and getting burned alive was one of the only good parts of ADWD.

LifEndz

Anyone else really surprised none of Stannis' soldiers said anything or shouted out? I guess there's no way to do King's Men and Queen's Men on the show, but poor man's Tim Curry looked ready to start some shit.

Speak out against Stannis? He just had the guys who held watch the night before killed.

Yeah, I those thought about it and I think this is the most logical way they could save it. Still though if they were going to go this route they should have established the situation and Stannis's hard decision earlier. Rather then going from "20 men" to "let's burn my daughter" in 30 minutes.

Her change of heart is like way too late and sudden for that to be believable. She's convincing him then a second later, "Oh wait no I can't do it". They should have her kept mouth shut at the bare minimum to make it seem like she's seriously contemplating. It comes off as too much of a turn-heel and bad acting.

Her daughter calls for her help while being burned alive, that's a perfectly believable moment for a change of mind. You can criticize the acting or direction perhaps, but the character makes sense.

Jarmel

Banned
With backstabs and 2v1/3v1 set ups though, its not like they were just rolling them face to face.

Armored soldiers who have spent their entire life training don't know how to handle being surrounded or outnumbered? The only time this entire season they've even begun to act competent was when they formed a formation at the end of the episode.

Amir0x

Banned
From the behind the scenes, it seems clear they are going to make it all a big mistake. They talk about how burning the daughter raises the question: What if you're so convinced of something being right only to later find out you're wrong?

Great episode.
I can not believe how some people are reacting.

Yeah, I thought it was fantastic.

But on top of trying to get him to that point, they allowed Ramsay to have the most ridiculous success conceived yet in the show.

Soldiers setting fire to enemy camps in the night is a classic tactic. It used to happen ALL the time. It's fine if you think Ramsey is OP, but this isn't an example of that. This complaint is probably the biggest stretch in the thread.

duckroll

My general enjoyment of the episode notwithstanding, I thought the whole pit scene was a huge letdown. Also, completely cutting the Quentin stuff, even if that material were to have been given to a different character, was a mistake. Someone trying to steal the dragons and getting burned alive was one of the only good parts of ADWD.

It's not too late for them to do it next season though. Just start up an original storyline about one of the named characters being inspired by Dany's escape to use one of the other dragons. Maybe Grey Worm! With the power of imagination, nothing is impossible!

cLOUDo

CG8mOzRUIAArCfa.jpg

Jarmel

Banned
Her daughter calls for her help while being burned alive, that's a perfectly believable moment for a change of mind. You can criticize the acting or direction perhaps, but the character makes sense.

Again it was done way too sudden for it to be believable. I can understand her changing mind gradually when Shireen starts screaming but it's done like a snap.

Amir0x

Banned
Soldiers setting fire to enemy camps in the night is a classic tactic. It used to happen ALL the time. It's fine if you think Ramsey is OP, but this isn't an example of that. This complaint is probably the biggest stretch in the thread.

But not twenty soldiers miraculously sneaking up on an almost completely undefended post of a massive army with little to no resistance whatsoever. With no one raising alarm until it's too late. Just in and out, no problemo. It's absurdity defined.

Stannis is clearly a complete fucking idiot military commander in all ways.

From the behind the scenes, it seems clear they are going to make it all a big mistake. They talk about how burning the daughter raises the question: What if you're so convinced of something being right only to later find out you're wrong?

To be fair, the show runners are also drooling idiots, and never seem to know what they're talking about. They even mispronounce character's names sometimes in those things.

I've already accepted that Stannis will die, but you might as well have some cool Stannis being Stannis scenes while you still can.

But not twenty soldiers miraculously sneaking up on an almost completely undefended post of a massive army with little to no resistance whatsoever. It's absurdity defined.

Er.. what would you have done differently? Guy's the best in Westeros considering his moral handicap.

Do we know the writing/directing credits for next week's episode? It needs to be really good from start to finish (with a decent helping of the good guys winning) or I think a fair amount of people are gonna peace out.

Kerned

Banned
It's not too late for them to do it next season though. Just start up an original storyline about one of the named characters being inspired by Dany's escape to use one of the other dragons. Maybe Grey Worm! With the power of imagination, nothing is impossible!
I was hoping Shireen would be sent across the Narrow Sea to personally steal the dragons while combating illiteracy, but, well, she's dead.

duckroll

Do we know the writing/directing credits for next week's episode? It needs to be really good from start to finish (with a decent helping of the good guys winning) or I think a fair amount of people are gonna peace out.

Same as this week. D&D writing, David Nutter directing.

Amir0x

Banned
Er.. what would you have done differently? Guy's the best in Westeros considering his moral handicap.

Uhm, actually have defended my all important supply line and made sure that these items were guarded at all time? He literally let ALL HIS SIEGE WEAPONS get destroyed by 20 men without so much as an alarm being sounded until Ramsay's men were all but finished with the job.

Seriously if this can plausibly happen, then the only conclusion is Stannis is a complete fucking moron.

Jarmel

Banned
But not twenty soldiers miraculously sneaking up on an almost completely undefended post of a massive army with little to no resistance whatsoever. With no one raising alarm until it's too late. Just in and out, no problemo. It's absurdity defined.

Don't forget all the fires starting at the same time and having complete success in wiping out both the food and weapons.

I think it's the same as this episode. I'm pretty sure Nutter is directing again, and I think Dan and Dave write all the finales.

erawsd

Armored soldiers who have spent their entire life training don't know how to handle being surrounded or outnumbered? The only time this entire season they've even begun to act competent was when they formed a formation at the end of the episode.

I guess not? In either case the Harpies definitely weren't "master fighters".

Choabac

I believe it's the same director and writer as today's episode. In fact the director today was the guy did that did the Red Wedding episode.

EDIT - Director for EP 9 & 10 is David Nutter. Writers for both are Benioff and Weiss.

bengraven

Some of the reactions. Yes, it's a little girl and I was crying as much as the next man baby, but this has already been a harsh fucking world. I think we've gotten too comfortable in our little "we know who's going to happen" world that when something happens to progress the story, whether it was GRRM or DND period, we're like "HEY NO NO".

Maybe it would have been better to wait for all seven books before we did a show.

Euron

Just think, tonight Mace Tyrell got more screentime and dialogue then all of his other scenes combined.

I think I know who I'm supporting until about Season 6 episode 2.

Uhm, actually have defended my all important supply line and made sure that these items were guarded at all time? He literally let ALL HIS SIEGE WEAPONS get destroyed by 20 men without so much as an alarm being sounded until Ramsay's men were all but finished with the job.

Seriously if this can plausibly happen, then the only conclusion is Stannis is a complete fucking moron.

Ramsay has all the cheats turned on including noclip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom