• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 5 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jesus this makes it sound like D&D are evil maniacs who *knew* the storyline, then decided to change the perfect GRRM sequence of events, THEN knew people would be PISSED about it, so they write a video scapegoating GRRM BEFOREHAND all to satisfy their huge ego and mess with people.

RE: Dorne... I found myself thinking that in the books as well

Yeah, it`s kind of fucked up. You can tell that they had this BTS clip all written out and produced beforehand - I get a feeling that they knew there would be outrage and were trying to pre-emptively cover themselves by passing the buck. Wouldn`t be the first time either.

Ralemont

not me
Yes! Well kind of. Davos has never been put into a position of real power so his failure to make the hard decisions to protect the most people doesn't have many consequences.

But for Jon of course, it does. When you're tasked with protecting every living thing from an undead army, caring more about your daughter or sister or some wildlings or whatever is a character flaw haha.

I guess I'm just saying that Davos would be a really shitty leader/protector of humanity and we're lucky Stannis is in charge instead :p

I'll side with Tyrion here: kill those loyal to you and you'll find no one left who's loyal.

Amir0x

Banned
One thing I just realized: Dany is single again.

There's a chance Jorah!

Jorah the hopeful! He'll never have his chance!
Never gets to touch her, when the dragons have their dance!
But wait Jorah there's hope! Keep your heart strong!
Even though Dany's gone she surely won't be long!

I'll side with Tyrion here: kill those loyal to you and you'll find no one left who's loyal.

Tyrion was never tasked with saving the entire world from the Others haha, so it doesn't really apply.

What do you do when you have a lot of loyal people that then all die because you didn't kill one of the loyal ones earlier and now they're all zombies?

D&D tried to cut storylines and speed up others, and the show still ended up with lots of dragging threads.

If Doran's reveal is botched, then Dorne line is hopeless.

But he touched her accidentally without thinking so now she's diseased too. They're disease buddies now. How can she still reject him?

She'll hate him even more for giving her cooties. Jorah can't win. He needs to buy her gifts in an attempt to exit the friend zone and settle for finding comfort in brothels for the rest of his days

spootime

I'm amazed at the hate for the Shireen burning, given that it is almost certainly in the books.

That may be true, but do you think Stannis is the one to do it in the books? There's a huge difference between Stannis burning his own daughter and Melisandre and Selyse conspiring to do it at Castle Black.

XAL

There's an extensive flashback scene which was cut from the episode for time. In it, a young shirtless Ramsay and twenty of his best mates are sneaking in the same northern plains Stannis is camping in today, and setting fire to the merchant supplies of a traveling caravan party.

neS5Og4.gif

"IT'S TIME TO BURN THIS MOTHER DOWN BOYZZZZ" - Ramsay

Speevy

Banned
Okay, I just watched the episode after getting home from work.

You guys have been fighting with me about this show for page after page, week after week, and I have been the show's #1 apologist.

I will never in a million years quit watching the show, simply because I love it. I don't take it seriously. It's fantasy and fiction, and a lot of fun.

I'm also not put off by the horror of events that transpire. Just because something bad happens doesn't make me any less interested. Them deviating from the books doesn't phase me much either, since I am so put off by some of the book stuff too.

I'm not a big book defender. I'm a show watcher, and I will watch the next episode. I will watch next season and the season after that.

With that said, that was the worst episode the show has ever produced in its entire history.

From the beginning frame, I knew something was horribly wrong. Why did Stannis' tents magically catch fire? Where was Ramsay? Could you not afford to pay Iwan Rheon that week? How did Ramsay know where all your food was stored? I am less bothered that Stannis made his decision, and more bothered that they didn't really convince him of the decision. He didn't wrestle with it. He just did it. I totally buy that he might have done it, but wow. That was just stupid. Then the Dorne stuff. Well, it was better than the Stannis stuff, but that's not saying much. I actually like the scene with Dorann talking to Jaime. He seems like a sensible fellow. But what the FUCK with Arya's scene? Does she not know that Meryn Trant has seen her before? She just walks right up in his face over and over again. I still love the location but they could have done a quick cut of Arya slipping a dagger into his throat or something, anything other than what they did. Arya's stuff was the best of this season until this episode. Then I have to watch the sand snakes play "too fast, too slow" or something for what seems like an eternity until they release Bronn. At least Bronn isn't dead. So now Trystane "I cant act worth a shit" Martell has to infest King's Landing with his shittiness. Then onto Dany, oh why, why, why. Who directed this? Who thought that it would be a good idea for major characters to engage in small talk while a bunch of gladiators killed each other? Then the event of the episode, SOMEONE IS TRYING TO KILL DANY AND I THOUGHT IT WAS JORAH AT FIRST. There is absolutely no impact to what's going on, no tension, it's just chaos, people running left, people running right. You could play the Benny Hill music on that shit. I didn't really have a problem with the Drogon CG because he's the only thing in the scene who seemed to know what the fuck he was doing. Then after what seemed like 100 harpies surrounded everyone, they're all gone and there's six unsullied guarding Tyrion and the crew like nothing ever happened.

The problem with this episode is not the least bit WHAT happened, or how it's different from the books. It's how they chose to convey the events.

4/10.

This is coming from someone who defended episode 6.

Dorne was Dorne and Arya's story dragged a bit but the rest was great. Daznaks could of been done a bit better but most of the CG was excellent. Solid episode overall. It's interesting that the more action packed episodes of this season will be 8 and 10 instead of the usual 9.

Helmholtz

I thought the episode was okay, but it seemed like a bunch of middling plot points just buying time until the finale.
The Stannis thing pissed me off, I find it hard to believe he'd be so quick to do that to his daughter considering the scene they shared a couple episodes ago.
The Olly (is that his name?)/Jon stuff is just cringe worthy. There's like zero subtlety at all.
The Dorne stuff has just been poorly executed and butchered the source material all season.
Haven't really cared for how they've executed Arya's stuff.
I thought the Dany stuff was fine though. Pretty entertaining and it's cool seeing Tyrion in the fold there already. Except... what the fuck @ Jorah touching her with his bare hand? Are they actually going to go down that route? Surely it was just a production mistake/red herring?

Euron

"Oberyn was really popular"
There's literally one reason why Oberyn was popular: He hated the Lannisters and wanted revenge against them. Why did people sympathize with him so much? Because they wanted vengeance for the Starks after Ned's death and the Red Wedding.

I can't understand how the show creators didn't see this. This exact reason is why Lord Manderly should have been cast. People would have gone crazy over him. But no people liked Oberyn only because he was a sexy foreign man with an accent so obviously we wanted more of that and not Stark Vengeance.

kirblar

That may be true, but do you think Stannis is the one to do it in the books? There's a huge difference between Stannis burning his own daughter and Melisandre and Selyse conspiring to do it at Castle Black.
He's already killed his own brother. If they do it without his permission, they're dead.

Jesus this makes it sound like D&D are evil maniacs who *knew* the storyline, then decided to change the perfect GRRM sequence of events, THEN knew people would be PISSED about it, so they write a video scapegoating GRRM BEFOREHAND all to satisfy their huge ego and mess with people.

You are thinking too much. I'm just saying that they didn't need to make an interview saying that GRRM did the same on the books. They don't need to give people justifications or details from the upcoming novels. But obviously they are trying to reduce the outrage putting GRRM on the frontline.

Jarmel

Banned
I honestly expected Arya to have more sense than to open follow people that could probably recognize her. She's not even 20 feet behind them and is rolling her cart. Like going into a whorehouse with clams isn't going to draw attention to you?

You guys have been fighting with me about this show for page after page, week after week, and I have been the show's #1 apologist.

I will never in a million years quit watching the show, simply because I love it. I don't take it seriously. It's fantasy and fiction, and a lot of fun.

I'm also not put off by the horror of events that transpire. Just because something bad happens doesn't make me any less interested. Them deviating from the books doesn't phase me much either, since I am so put off by some of the book stuff too.

I'm not a big book defender. I'm a show watcher, and I will watch the next episode. I will watch next season and the season after that.

With that said, that was the worst episode the show has ever produced in its entire history.

From the beginning frame, I knew something was horribly wrong. Why did Stannis' tents magically catch fire? Where was Ramsay? Could you not afford to pay Iwan Rheon that week? How did Ramsay know where all your food was stored? I am less bothered that Stannis made his decision, and more bothered that they didn't really convince him of the decision. He didn't wrestle with it. He just did it. I totally buy that he might have done it, but wow. That was just stupid. Then the Dorne stuff. Well, it was better than the Stannis stuff, but that's not saying much. I actually like the scene with Dorann talking to Jaime. He seems like a sensible fellow. But what the FUCK with Arya's scene? Does she not know that Meryn Trant has seen her before? She just walks right up in his face over and over again. I still love the location but they could have done a quick cut of Arya slipping a dagger into his throat or something, anything other than what they did. Arya's stuff was the best of this season until this episode. Then I have to watch the sand snakes play "too fast, too slow" or something for what seems like an eternity until they release Bronn. At least Bronn isn't dead. So now Trystane "I cant act worth a shit" Martell has to infest King's Landing with his shittiness. Then onto Dany, oh why, why, why. Who directed this? Who thought that it would be a good idea for major characters to engage in small talk while a bunch of gladiators killed each other? Then the event of the episode, SOMEONE IS TRYING TO KILL DANY AND I THOUGHT IT WAS JORAH AT FIRST. There is absolutely no impact to what's going on, no tension, it's just chaos, people running left, people running right. You could play the Benny Hill music on that shit. I didn't really have a problem with the Drogon CG because he's the only thing in the scene who seemed to know what the fuck he was doing. Then after what seemed like 100 harpies surrounded everyone, they're all gone and there's six unsullied guarding Tyrion and the crew like nothing ever happened.

The problem with this episode is not the least bit WHAT happened, or how it's different from the books. It's how they chose to convey the events.

4/10.

Basically read my mind here.

duckroll

He's already killed his own brother. If they do it without his permission, they're dead.

Unless Stannis is dead by the point. The Stannis plotline in the books is really hard to get a handle on because there's so much incomplete information right now.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
The only way Doran's idea of sending Trystane to KL with Myrcella makes sense is if he's also sending assassin's (Sand Snakes lol) to kill Tommen so his son will be married to the new Queen. Even then, it's stupid.

Until he dies next week lololol.

If the show ends with that cliffhanger the reactions from the unwashed will be hilarious, since the show has made zero references to Jon warging or to Melisandre reviving him.

What if we see the BWB in the beginning of the episode? Hype?

Stannis defeats Boltons, Brienne kills Stannis, Sansa unites the North. No fucking clue what is going to happen with Jon since the popular theory has been blown to hell with this week.

Which theory?

4/10.

This is actually really well written and reasoned with. I don't know why everyone's getting mad at GRRM for Stannis's decision. The decision made perfect sense for Stannis, you should just be getting made at literally everyone else involved in the production for ruining everything.

Lothar

Banned

4/10.

I agree completely except not quite the worst episode. The worst episode was the finale of Season 2.

One of the worst things not being mentioned is I guess now we get no Theon heart tree scene this season and Sansa/Theon/Brienne will be rushed next week so that Jon can get a letter.

Oh, and why did Dany leave her friends behind to die?

cj_iwakura

I love how they're handling Doran(and Areo). Funny that they were my favorite part of this episode.

I might have been surprised about the twist if this thread's reactions had any kind of restraint. I'm out until the finale's over.

LordCanti

The only way Doran's idea of sending Trystane to KL with Myrcella makes sense is if he's also sending assassin's (Sand Snakes lol) to kill Tommen so his son will be married to the new Queen. Even then, it's stupid.

May Darkstar show up out of nowhere (RKO style), murder the Prince, wound Myrcella, and right these wrongs.

kirblar

Unless Stannis is dead by the point. The Stannis plotline in the books is really hard to get a handle on because there's so much incomplete information right now.
That's true.

Also, the "Trant as Pedo" thing - that's straight out of the Mercy chapter, right? It's just being used here.

The directorial criticism is 100% on point tho. Can we get the 7/8 guy to do every episode?

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Some are echoing my thoughts about Shireen.

To me, the worst is that it's Stannis doing it, and that it's near Winterfell, and done to achieve the possibility of winning Winterfell.

What I kind of thought might happen in the books, was that Mel and Selyse would kill Shireen at Castle Black, to revive Jon, leading to the giant conversation that would go on in every book reader's hearts (and online forums), in that:

Is/Was it worth the murder of a child, to bring back a main character, one of the very few seemingly good people left (that can perhaps save the world).

Lothar

Banned
Call me stupid but I never saw that coming in the books. At least I never thought Stannis would do that. Melisandre and Selyse I could see.

I don't see how he can do it in the books given that he's hundreds of miles away from her. If he does do it, then it will be under completely different circumstances than a snow storm.

Gnome

Do we have any real idea what burning Shireen is suppose to accomplish specifically? Is it just going to be another smoke monster or something?

I agree completely except not quite the worst episode. The worst episode was the finale of Season 2.

One of the worst things not being mentioned is I guess now we get no Theon heart tree scene this season and Sansa/Theon/Brienne will be rushed next week so that Jon can get a letter.

Oh, and why did Dany leave her friends behind to die?

I doubt Jon will even get the letter. The letter leads to his death because it's basically a physical manifestation for all the conspirators about how bad of a job he's done as Lord Commander in terms of doing his duty as Night's Watch and not taking part in the realm. I don't know why Olly would care that Ramsay is mad at Jon, or why Ramsay would even be mad at Jon in this show.

It's just gonna be "Jon died because he wasn't a bigot and everyone else was" because we removed all depth from Jon's storyline so that we could add an action scene where he punches King Bad Guy.

Massa

It's to get Jaime out of King's Landing, so Cersei being arrested and detained makes sense, and give the actors something exciting to do. That's it. It's complete filler.

Having Trystane and Myrcella in King's Landing is quite significant.

Pkaz01

That's true.

Also, the "Trant as Pedo" thing - that's straight out of the Mercy chapter, right? It's just being used here.

The directorial criticism is 100% on point tho. Can we get the 7/8 guy to do every episode?

Sample chapter spoiler
Well it was Raff and it was directed towards Arya which is even worse

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Do we have any real idea what burning Shireen is suppose to accomplish specifically? Is it just going to be another smoke monster or something?

The way I took it from the promo
(thawing icicles), is that the snow/blizzard is letting up, allowing for a march and attack on Winterfell.

Jackson50

I understand that Shireen's sacrifice was difficult to watch. And despite supporting Stannis for years now, doubt has crept into my mind. But I've come to trust in Stannis to make the correct decision. Stannis has the resolve to make the difficult decisions. It might not make sense at the moment, but he works in mysterious ways. In Stannis I trust. I only hope he burns that bastard of Bolton.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom