• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 5 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Dorne scenes were obviously to set up the future romance between Ellaria and Jamie.

Seriously I did kind of get those vibes from that scene, if we assume Ellaria was being sincere.

Actually IIRC I forgot which daughter it was, but in the book there's one that seduces Myrcellas guard no? Maybe it'll be Jamies turn...to do that...?

Because in the book, Jamie also has a moment where he ignores Cerseis plea to return to the capital, and he gets 'over' Cersei. If they intend to cover that character plotline into the show, maybe this is the start of it?

Arkeband

Banned
D&D invoking George in their decision to take the story in this direction is silly considering it's geographically impossible for Stannis to do that in the books. I don't know who they were pandering to with that.

To me, that almost feels like GRRM giving them a single plot point with no context and letting them figure it out so they naturally diverge from the books.

Was Jorah taking Dany's hand the importance of him having greyscale? Is she going to get greyscale now, as a Targaryen? Aren't they resistant to disease?

And the game of slaps was utter nonsense. Who directed this friggin' episode?

Ogimachi

Also, consider Shireen's burning as a reminder, much like Cersei getting locked up. Stannis is not a good man, he never was. This is a man who murdered his own brother without batting an eyelash. If he had to kill his daughter to rule, he would, he can, and he did.
Have you read ACOK?
Without even going into Renly's perspective, who was planning to kill Stannis in the following morning, Stannis didn't know he was going to be responsible for the shadow assassin and Renly's death.

Melisandre told him about the vision and that he had to attack Storm's End, he just went along with it.

Stannis last words to her felt like they were written by GRRM.

Definitely! I really liked that scene and the whole burning itself (although doing it in front of soldiers is kinda dumb really). It's just surrounded by so much baffling stuff, the problems of which can be traced all the way back to the decision to just cut out the whole Northern Tribes stuff, which of course goes back even further.

They should have just made the show a complete adaption like Season 1 and it would have lasted 20 seasons and like nobody would watch it but it would still be great.

Well, I just saw the episode and had to make this real quick:
What can I say, they've completely missed the point about Stannis. I've read the posts and watched the Inside the Episode where they say "George told us about this." But, it's rather clear he probably only told them that Shireen dies by burning, not that Stannis actually does it. D&D decided it would add better shock value to do so.

*sigh*

I'll post my other "minor" complaints later.

Dude this is the first time Stannis has been in character all season. The situation that makes him do it is stupid and fabricated, but his actions are totally in character. I think you missed the point about Stannis somewhere. Sometimes being the Mannis ain't pretty.

Gnome

Speaking of Balon, I heard Yara/Asha was suppose to appear in this season, seems that was fake unless she randomly shows up next episode.

Speevy

Banned
"David, Dan. I said Stannis burns all of Shireen's books. Her books. What the fuck have you done?"
-George R. R. Martin

Definitely! I really liked that scene and the whole burning itself (although doing it in front of soldiers is kinda dumb really). It's just surrounded by so much baffling stuff, the problems of which can be traced all the way back to the decision to just cut out the whole Northern Tribes stuff, which of course goes back even further.

They should have just made the show a complete adaption like Season 1 and it would have lasted 20 seasons and like nobody would watch it but it would still be great.
They didn't even have to make the show that long, make some changes to ADWD and shoot it into 2 seasons, the end result would be much better than what we have now.

Speaking of Balon, I heard Yara/Asha was suppose to appear in this season, seems that was fake unless she randomly shows up next episode.
Wasn't that just some IMDB nonsense?

They didn't even have to make the show that long, make some changes to ADWD and shoot it into 2 seasons, the end result would be much better than what we have now.
It'd be just as bad, but take twice as long. What they really needed to do was cut more stuff, like this Dornish plotline.

LordCanti

It was actually a glamored Yara that Stannis had burned.

Aaah the ol' "I burned my daughter but it was really a Greyjoy" switcharoo. No one could have expected it. It's a classic ploy to make your enemy think you're so insane that you'd burn your own daughter. Even Ramsay had to be impressed.

D&D invoking George in their decision to take the story in this direction is silly considering it's geographically impossible for Stannis to do that in the books. I don't know who they were pandering to with that.

To me, that almost feels like GRRM giving them a single plot point with no context and letting them figure it out so they naturally diverge from the books.

And was Jorah taking Dany's hand the importance of him having greyscale? Is she going to get greyscale now, as a Targaryen? Aren't they resistant to disease?

Maybe not now, but in the book we hear of Ramsay winning the battle against Stannis, but we don't really get proof aside from Ramsays letter. Maybe he's still alive, he goes back to the nights watch, and melisandre tells him the only way he can win now is to sacrifice his daughter?

I mean...I can see Stannis doing that.

cj_iwakura

Have you read ACOK?
Without even going into Renly's perspective, who was planning to kill Stannis in the following morning, Stannis didn't know he was going to be responsible for the shadow assassin and Renly's death.

Melisandre told him about the vision and that he had to attack Storm's End, he just went along with it.

I've read all the books. I fully believe Melisandre could persuade Stannis to do this.

Was Jorah taking Dany's hand the importance of him having greyscale? Is she going to get greyscale now, as a Targaryen? Aren't they resistant to disease?

Immune to disease? Doesn't she get dysentery in ADWD?

Jackson50

And was Jorah taking Dany's hand the importance of him having greyscale? Is she going to get greyscale now, as a Targaryen? Aren't they resistant to disease?
Didn't she spend the last half of ADWD shitting all over Essos? I don't think they're resistant to disease. That would be funny though if Jorah gave her Grey Scale. That Jorah.

GrapeApes

What I always wondered is why Stannis never killed a love one in the books. If he believes he his Azor Ahai reborn should have stabbed someone earlier.

It'd be just as bad, but take twice as long. What they really needed to do was cut more stuff, like this Dornish plotline.
Dornish plotline sucks wasn't because D&D didn't cut enough. Sand Snakes and Ellaria are now joke characters, Doran barely shows up, Bronn and Jaime's dicking around was pointless, Trystane & Myrcella teenage love was boring af. Nearly all the changes made are for the worse.

Immune to disease? Doesn't she get dysentery in ADWD?

A bunch of Targs have died from disease in the past, them being immune to disease is baseless.

Dornish plotline sucks wasn't because D&D didn't cut enough. Sand Snakes and Ellaria are now joke characters, Doran barely shows up, Bronn and Jaime's dicking around was pointless, Trystane & Myrcella teenage love was boring af. Nearly all the changes made are for the worse.
The Sand Snakes were always a bit of a joke. But Dorne in the show never had the screen time to do anything. They should have cut it and used that time for other plot threads.

You know your episode sucked when even the Arya scene is terribad
So this entire season

What I always wondered is why Stannis never killed a love one in the books. If he believes he his Azor Ahai reborn should have stabbed someone earlier.
I still don't think he completely believes in Mel's stuff. I think he believes that he's the only one who can save Westeros, but not to the degree that he'll start following an old prophecy.

He killed his clansmen and his brother

I mean, Stannis only loves himself. The only reason he says the line of 'Get my daughter on the throne' in the book is because he's so damn egotistical that he wants his direct blood on the damn throne.

Judderman

drawer by drawer
The tinfoil is strong in the other topic.

Oh damn, that's pretty good stuff.

So when do you think the show Boltons are going to face any form of hardship or face consequences for their actions? Next episode? Somethings gotta give. Maybe one of the spec ops 20 Good Men stubs his toe or something as he was retreating. That's something.

seriously.. i'm haunted by this.. I just picture a little girl dieing like that.. the worst part was how afraid she was... I mean my god......

Even if you win now stannis.. you still lose.

you and the boltons are perfect for each other!

Jarmel

Banned
We'll see how this plays out but I really hate how they used Sansa this season. Her major contribution to this season was being raped and impregnated.

Speevy

Banned
Littlefinger showed up to Winterfell and wanted to kill the Boltons, but heard the news about Shireen and is now pledged to them.

kirblar

Yeah, Arya's stuff is great - it's just limited. I suspect they're going to treat her off-season like Bran's and have her "level up" in the time period.

foxtrot3d

Banned
Dude this is the first time Stannis has been in character all season. The situation that makes him do it is stupid and fabricated, but his actions are totally in character. I think you missed the point about Stannis somewhere. Sometimes being the Mannis ain't pretty.

Yeah...

The man who is a seasoned battle commander.
The man who refused to have any burnings in his camp of common unbelievers in his army.
The man who left Melisandre at the Wall.
The man who has nightly nightmares regarding the killing of his younger brother.
The man who refused to burn Edric Storm, his bastard nephew, delaying Melisandre until all three of her leeches worked. And, even after we never learn his decision.
The man who burnt his last Hand for attempting, among many things, to marry his daughter off to one of the illegitimate, incest born Lannisters.
The man whose last words we know to one of his men was that if he died to continue fighting to put Shireen on the throne.

That man burnt his only child and heir Shireen because he comically placed all his food stores in an easily unguarded area and couldn't last a day without said food. Yes, he's definitely in character now.

Arya's scenes have been wonderful.

Very sensibly plotted, strongly acted, mysterious. I liked learning more about the house of black and white.

Ehhh you're not wrong, it's just I think the whole thing is just so uninteresting. They definitely could have condensed this one pretty easily, instead it's been in almost every episode.

Yeah...

The man who is a seasoned battle commander.
The man who refused to have any burnings in his camp of common unbelievers in his army.
The man who left Melisandre at the Wall.
The man who has nightly nightmares regarding the killing of his younger brother.
The man who refused to burn Edric Storm, his bastard nephew, delaying Melisandre until all three of her leeches worked. And, even after we never learn his decision.
The man who burnt his last Hand for attempting, among many things, to marry his daughter off to one of the illegitimate, incest born Lannisters.
The man whose last words we know to one of his men was that if he died to continue fighting to put Shireen on the throne.

That man burnt his only child and heir Shireen because he comically placed all his food stores in an easily unguarded area and couldn't last a day without said food. Yes, he's definitely in character now.
Obviously the food stuff is really stupid. But if you don't think Stannis, the guy with the iron will and sense of duty who believes he is the only thing standing between Westeros and the Others would not kill his daughter to save his cause, you've been picturing the wrong Stannis.

Like I said, everything Stannis has done this season has been really stupid, but that's the first in-character thing he's done this whole time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom