• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 5 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.
they are not talking about the show spoiling possible future events.
what they are angry about is that D&D confirmed it will be the same in the books.
there is a slight difference, not that it wouldn't make them complete idiots, though.

But they didn't did they? That it was a plot point, yes. The same? No.

Gnome

So what are the options here really. People will either hate D&D now for "spoilers", or hate GrrM later for not being different from the show.

I don't think D&D would give a major event like this to Stannis out of the blue. They've given cut characters' plot lines to other people but I don't think they've ever done a shift this big?

This would be like them having Ramsay in the RW stabbing Robb while Roose watches

You really think Martin tells them that Shireen burns, and no details about why, or what Stannis thought of it?

It's logistically impossible for it to happen in the books like it did the show, so who knows what he told them. If Stannis orders it it'll basically have to happen after Winterfell.

Moff

All they confirmed is that Shireen gets burned. Only Martin knows how it plays out in the books.

I'm pretty sure D&D know that, too. or asked GRRM about it at least, and he certainly answered them.
if they deliberately got stannis to make that decision is the only question.

Hamlet

Drogon saved that episode. And Jorah. And Mace Tyrell.

Yeah Drogon was pretty great. Gotta also give it to the Harpies for actually putting up a decent fight against him after the initial shock. I know I would make a run for it if I saw a dragon like this going for me heh.
JNekBDH.gif

Gnome

I wonder how many show only people give a shit about who Meryn Trant is, my guess is not many. Having all that build up in today's episode and not just killing him seemed an odd choice to me.

no one's life is sad because of the adaption of an entertainment fantasy show, no matter how it's depicted

I don't agree with the reshuffling either, a lot of it felt incomplete and rushed as it is, that comes with the need of telling the necessary story of a boring book. cutting out a few minutes of frivolous scenes won't change that. but we had that disussion since ros in season 1, in the end the success proved that d&d made the right call. if we got some book readers' vision of the show witthout some fun, gore and nudity it would probably have been too dry for such a massive success.

besides, I don't think it's unlikely that davos will still be sent to manderly, since we get euron in season 6 as well. it's not unreasonable to doubt that, though, he doesnt bring anything worthwhile to the table and is not nearly as interesting as other cut characters like coldhands, stoneheart, victarion and val.

Success doesn't mean they made the right call. Just because something is popular doesn't mean it's any good.

Eidan

It's logistically impossible for it to happen in the books like it did the show, so who knows what he told them. If Stannis orders it it'll basically have to happen after Winterfell.

It's logistically impossible for Stannis to be there during the burning. It's not impossible Stannis to know of it or give the order.

SteveWD40

It's totally gonna be Thorne.

Since Sam is still there, I can honestly see them killing him off for good measure. I doubt we'll see him heading to Oldtown, unless he leaves next week.

Problem with Thorne is you don't get the sadness, he has hated Jon since day one, only his sense of duty and grudging respect has kept him at bay, there won't be any tears.

Thing is, after the omgholyfuck at Hardholme, how do they sell Jon wanting to leave now? he won't leave the wall just to rescue his half sister (the Pink letter won't happen imho), there is far more at stake now and he knows it, he has seen it first hand.

The promise of more men from Davos on the condition he marches half the men at the Wall to Winterfell? no way would he leave the wall that unguarded now.

Let's say they make it happen, what a fucking bleak ending:

- Winterfell battle is a cliffhanger, Ramsay is smug (at least we may get that corkscrew rammed in his neck).

- Danny has dysentery.

- Arya is blinded

- Jon is FTW'd

That's a fucking bleak way to leave things for a year.

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
I wonder how many show only people give a shit about who Meryn Trant is, my guess is not many. Having all that build up in today's episode and not just killing him seemed an odd choice to me.

Guessing she offs him in the next episode. But yeah that was a lot of build up for it.

Moff

Success doesn't mean they made the right call. Just because something is popular doesn't mean it's any good.
and "the right call" doesnt mean it needs to be any good.
"the right call" means a super expensive show with tons of cast, many different huge sets, a big battle a per season and massive cgi creatures needs is popular enough to continue.

I'd still say it's good though, but certainly not as smart as the books.

I can't believe GRRM associates with those clowns.

They've been running Westeros for a long time. Way before the show. It's not right to dismiss them like that, they've been there for George before GoT was even considered. Maybe they're overreacting, but fuck it it's Twitter. A lot of people feel just as pissed off about the situation.

Jon entering the north side of the wall is maybe the stupidest plot point.

Remember all those white walkers who just attacked you north of the wall? Well we're going to sail out and sail right back in again rather than going south of the wall where it's safe to march half way across Westros to get to the gate. Hopefully no white walkers attack!

Gnome

Twitter is a terrible platform for discussion. So it ends up being an endless feed of knee jerk reactions and emotions.

It's logistically impossible for Stannis to be there during the burning. It's not impossible Stannis to know of it or give the order.

How and why would he give the order when these were his most recent quotes -

"Half my army is made up of unbelievers. I will have no burnings. Pray harder."

"“It may be that we shall lose this battle,” the king said grimly. “In Braavos you may hear that I am dead. It may even be true. You shall find my sellswords nonetheless.”
The knight hesitated.
“Your Grace, if you are dead —”
“— you will avenge my death, and seat my daughter on the Iron Throne. Or die in the attempt.”

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Twitter is a terrible platform for discussion. So it ends up being an endless feed of knee jerk reactions and emotions.
Don't blame the medium, blame the message. If you're posting knee-jerk, childish reactions, that's on you.

Eidan

Jon entering the north side of the wall is maybe the stupidest plot point.

Remember all those white walkers who just attacked you north of the wall? Well we're going to sail out and sail right back in again rather than going south of the wall where it's safe to march half way across Westros to get to the gate. Hopefully no white walkers attack!

The North side provides better imagery, both visually and thematically.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the wildlings come from the north side in the books as well? No big deal to me either way.

they made sure people want him to die because he's a pedo
that's so much easier than giving characters some substance

This show wouldn't continue to exist if it wasn't popular. The point of a television adaptation is to reach a broader audience. That's D&D's goal.

And they've successfully made it dumber in the process. Entertaining, but inconsistently written and favoring cheap shock value over character development.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Davos is totally gonna hook up with Brienne next season and become part of the "Stannis Baratheon must die" squad.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
i don't watch the show and don't care about spoilers, so can someone give a quick list of the things the show has either certainly or possibly spoiled for the books?

Eidan

"“It may be that we shall lose this battle,” the king said grimly. “In Braavos you may hear that I am dead. It may even be true. You shall find my sellswords nonetheless.”
The knight hesitated.
“— you will avenge my death, and seat my daughter on the Iron Throne. Or die in the attempt.”

It's honestly not difficult seeing Stannis placed in just as desperate of a situation as the one conveyed on the show and approving of the burning. And I agree with what others have said. If placed in that situation, I can easily see book Stannis approving the burning.

i don't watch the show and don't care about spoilers, so can someone give a quick list of the things the show has either certainly or possibly spoiled for the books?

R + L = J
Jon is probably Azor Ahai
Shireen gets burned alive

That's pretty much it so far. Nothing the books haven't telegraphed.

And they've successfully made it dumber in the process. Entertaining, but inconsistently written and favoring cheap shock value over character development.
I mostly agree with this, though the books have the same tendency to go for shocks.

Iksenpets

Banned

The knight hesitated.

I totally agree, but damn this tweet from Elio and Linda really sounds like they also knew about Stannis burning Shireen and that it's accurate:

sIuVLW2.png

I'm sure GRRM can develop the character to the point where he would do that better than D&D did, but I'm really not sure if he can ever really get him there after all the quotes like that :/

Edit: Reading a bit more of her Twitter, she's taking less like they knew for sure, and more that they viewed Stannis sacrificing Shireen as an inevitability that anyone who read deeply enough saw coming. I'll retract my claim that they're confirming it as a book plot point. I'm back to believing that D&D changed who did it! Cannot be swayed!

Really in the end, I'm not too upset about the Shireen burning, I think. It was strongly theorized it would happen, for basically the same reason. I don't buy how quickly Stannis and his queen (I can't remember her name) changed opinions completely, but it's the tv show. Each character only gets a couple minutes a week, so plots end up accelerated. It's a compromise I can handle. Overall, I liked the episode, but it was rough coming off of last week's awesome one.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
R + L = J
Jon is probably Azor Ahai
Shireen gets burned alive

That's pretty much it so far. Nothing the books haven't telegraphed.

thanks, nothing yet that i could see people getting salty over.

I totally agree, but damn this tweet from Elio and Linda really sounds like they also knew about Stannis burning Shireen and that it's accurate:

sIuVLW2.png

I'm sure GRRM can develop the character to the point where he would do that better than D&D did, but I'm really not sure if he can ever really get him there after all the quotes like that :/

considering that they seem to be total book purists, what is it that they would have wanted? differ from the books so there won't be spoilers?

Moff

there area really countless ways stannis will burn shireen if that's what GRRM intends to do. the most likely being that he sends for melisandres help after the snowstorm battle and she simply brings shireen and seylse with her.
personally, I think it would be cheap if they did it behind stannis back, he has got to make that choice, he is the interesting character, we need to see and know his reaction.

considering that they seem to be total book purists, what is it that they would have wanted? differ from the books so there won't be spoilers?

they probabls think TWOW will release before season 6

sIuVLW2.png

It seems crazy to me too, but I trust George with whatever ends up happening. He might put out some slow chapters, but he's never put a foot wrong with character work.

UraMallas

Problem with Thorne is you don't get the sadness, he has hated Jon since day one, only his sense of duty and grudging respect has kept him at bay, there won't be any tears.

Thing is, after the omgholyfuck at Hardholme, how do they sell Jon wanting to leave now? he won't leave the wall just to rescue his half sister (the Pink letter won't happen imho), there is far more at stake now and he knows it, he has seen it first hand.

The promise of more men from Davos on the condition he marches half the men at the Wall to Winterfell? no way would he leave the wall that unguarded now.

Let's say they make it happen, what a fucking bleak ending:

- Winterfell battle is a cliffhanger, Ramsay is smug (at least we may get that corkscrew rammed in his neck).

- Danny has dysentery.

- Arya is blinded

- Jon is FTW'd

That's a fucking bleak way to leave things for a year.

So in comes Lady Stoneheart.

#BELIEVE

It's honestly not difficult seeing Stannis placed in just as desperate of a situation as the one conveyed on the show and approving of the burning. And I agree with what others have said. If placed in that situation, I can easily see book Stannis approving the burning.

He's already in that situation in the books. He's ready to die. Book Stannis doesn't give a fuck about starving and freezing to death. He is literally made of iron, unlike his show counterpart.

Massa

there area really countless ways stannis will burn shireen if that's what GRRM intends to do. the most likely being that he sends for melisandres help after the snowstorm battle and she simply brings shireen and seylse with her.
personally, I think it would be cheap if they did it behind stannis back, he has got to make that choice, he is the interesting character, we need to see and know his reaction.

Maybe he loses the battle of Winterfell and his men drag his sorry ass to the Wall.

Stannis will be the one to burn Shireen, that one's a lock.

Wohh, so I have a question; does this whole Shireen burning at the stake happens in the books too? It was probably one of the hardest things I've had to watch on television so far. Fucking hell, made me want the writers to kill stannis on the spot, red bitch fucked him crazy. lol

Moff

Wohh, so I have a question; does this whole Shireen burning at the stake happens in the books too? It was probably one of the hardest things I've had to watch on television so far. Fucking hell, made me want the writers to kill stannis on the spot, red bitch fucked him crazy. lol

the truth is we don't know yet

most book readers do not believe stannis will do it himself, though.
I don't agree.

It apparently will occur in the next book.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom