• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 5 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zolo

Yeah, Westeros is a mess. I think I'm team White Walker now. Pretty much everyone left with an army deserves to get screwed. Even the good characters are so inept you wouldn't trust them. Except Jon - which probably means he's going to die.

XD Next week looks like it should be fun too.

Jigorath

Banned
Detail is not intelligence.

Martin drones on at a slugs pace and his books are shittier for it.

And D&D blaze (get it?) through everything and the show is shittier for it. Pacing has always been a massive problem for the show. They need to just slow down every once in a while and catch their breath.

Thaedolus

And D&D blaze (get it?) through everything and the show is shittier for it. Pacing has always been a massive problem for the show. They need to just slow down every once in a while and catch their breath.

And yet this season has been criticized for several episodes of nothing happening...

Moff

So you prefer that the story be dumber? How sad your life must be.

someone has a sad life because a piece of entertainment was made dumber but more enjoyable?
let me be completely honest here, AFFC and ADWD were well written but boring books. AGOT, ACOK and ASOS were much better written and extremely exciting books. but I still would never consider them nowhere near the best books I ever read, at the end of the day they are still just fantasy stories.

there is nothing wrong with adapting the two most boring books of an entertainmnent franchise to be more enjoyable, even if they are dumbed down in the process, and it certainly doesn't make anyones life sad for preferring that. and if I am completely honest, if they actually adapted AFFC/ADWD word by word in two seasons or more (as GRRM sggested), that would definitely would have made me sad.

And yet this season has been criticized for several episodes of nothing happening...

They needed to have an episode focused on the more thrilling parts of AFFC/ADWD, namely Crackclaw Point, turtle counting, Quentyn's mercenary encyclopedia, and Jon's adventures into the storage.

someone has a sad life because a piece of entertainment was made dumber but more enjoyable?
let me be completely honest here, AFFC and ADWD were well written but boring books. AGOT, ACOK and ASOS were much better written and extremely exciting books. but I still would never consider them nowhere near the best books I ever read, at the end of the day they are still just fantasy stories.

there is nothing wrong with adapting the two most boring books to be more enjoyable, even if they are dumbed down in the process, and it certainly doesn't make anyones life sad for preferring that. and if I am completely honest, if they actually adapted AFFC/ADWD word by word in two seasons or more (as GRRM sggested), that would definitely would have made me sad.

Yes, I find it incredibly sad that anyone prefers something to be dumber than it's source material. An adaptation doesn't have to be stupid. I just watched Wolf Hall and it was absolutely brilliant, retained every bit of intelligence as the books.

Random example - there's no reason Wyman Manderly's subplot had to be cut. They had time for it, they just chose not to put it in. Sand Snake titties were more important.

Tuffty

If by dumbed down you mean, reduced in scope and cast of characters, then yes but that has been true since Season 1.

As a book reader myself, I wish others would recognise that in GRRM's own words, the show is the show and the books are the books. Different interpretations of the same story. There are changes in the show that I like and dislike and for the most part, I've really enjoyed this season.

Jigorath

Banned

It's almost as if, different people have different criticisms. The show has always moved way too fast for my tastes and left little room for character development outside of Jon/Tyrion/Danaerys. The show is mostly plot focused rather than being character focused which is why it's never been on the level of top tier drama like Breaking Bad/Mad Men/True Detective. Well that and the often atrocious writing.

Moff

Yes, I find it incredibly sad that anyone prefers something to be dumber than it's source material. An adaptation doesn't have to be stupid. I just watched Wolf Hall and it was absolutely brilliant, retained every bit of intelligence as the books.

Random example - there's no reason Wyman Manderly's subplot had to be cut. They had time for it, they just chose not to put it in. Sand Snake titties were more important.

are you actually suggesting the wyman manderly subplot could have been put into those 4x3minute sand snake scenes in a satisfying and intelligent way?

and I am sure you see a difference between finding something sad and suggesting someones else's life is sad

Well, I hope Stannis ends up on a pyre of his own next week. Fuck, I hope Drogon skips landing in the Dothraki sea and just flies to Winterfell and burns it all to a crisp. Jfc, that shit was dark. I half-expected him to come back on it, not Celyse. What the fuck, man. I can still understand rooting for book Stannis, but show Stannis just lost all chance for redemption.

Daznak's pit was well done, even if Jorah's badass spear throw felt a bit exaggerated. :lol With the Harpies openly attacking and even killing Hizdahr, it's gonna be interesting how show Meereen develops next week. Volantis isn't even at the walls yet.

How awesome was the soundtrack when those Harpies showed up, btw? Those hissing vocals, perfect callback to earlier in the season.

We had to sit through seven episodes worth of shit to get to this point, it feels like it's been a long time since GoT had two great episodes back-to-back. Let's hope next week continues the trend. Let the Lord of Light arise.

Almost forgot we're getting the Walk of Shame next week, too. Next week, there'll offically be no more book spoilers to share.

Jorah is boss

That is all

He should be Azhor Ahai

He is the hero we deserve but not the one we will get

#TeamJorah

Maybe greyscale kills the white walkers.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I'd place money on Olly being a fake-out at this point

Honestly, I'm just glad we're through Feast and Dance.

are you actually suggesting the wyman manderly subplot could have been put into those 4x3minute sand snake scenes in a satisfying and intelligent way?

and I am sure you see a difference between finding something sad and suggesting someones else's life is sad

They could have easily reshuffled the season to allow for a bottle Ghost in Winterfell episode, yeah. Lots of frivolous scenes.

And if someone lives their life on nothing but easily digestible media, yeah that's a sad life. You should always look to be challenged.

They could have easily reshuffled the season to allow for a bottle Ghost in Winterfell episode, yeah. Lots of frivolous scenes.

And if someone lives their life on nothing but easily digestible media, yeah that's a sad life. You should always look to be challenged.

They could have (not easily), by cutting other things. Which I think they should have done. The show runners weren't ambitious enough in their cuts.

Drogon's mouth filled with blood looked awesome. Drogon looked awesome.

Take your fucking dragons to westeros and raise some fucking hell Dany. Burn all those fucking cities to the ground. Then go to the wall. Fuck Jon. Mary Jon. Fight the final battle. Keep Varys alive, give Sansa the Mother's mercy.

Thaedolus

It's almost as if, different people have different criticisms. The show has always moved way too fast for my tastes and left little room for character development outside of Jon/Tyrion/Danaerys. The show is mostly plot focused rather than being character focused which is why it's never been on the level of top tier drama like Breaking Bad/Mad Men/True Detective. Well that and the often atrocious writing.

Sure, but you have to understand that to make the show move slower is to make it substantially longer and more drawn out, and there's an argument to be made against doing that.

Also, comparing the show to something like Breaking Bad is a complete apples to oranges comparison. Breaking Bad has like a dozen main characters, of course you're going to be able to spend more time on each one. How are you going to do that in a show with the scope of GoT? It's just not feasible, and scaling back the subplots and character development is just part of the equation to making a balanced show that doesn't lose viewers

Jigorath

Banned
Sure, but you have to understand that to make the show move slower is to make it substantially longer and more drawn out, and there's an argument to be made against doing that.

Also, comparing the show to something like Breaking Bad is a complete apples to oranges comparison. Breaking Bad has like a dozen main characters, of course you're going to be able to spend more time on each one. How are you going to do that in a show with the scope of GoT? It's just not feasible, and scaling back the subplots and character development is just part of the equation to making a balanced show that doesn't lose viewers

Looking back, unless D&D were willing to do 10 seasons I think they should have just cut a lot more from the beginning rather than waiting until season 5 to finally start axing things. Peter Jackson couldn't successfully adapt LOTR without cutting and condensing like 90% of the book's contents.

Moff

no one's life is sad because of the adaption of an entertainment fantasy show, no matter how it's depicted

I don't agree with the reshuffling either, a lot of it felt incomplete and rushed as it is, that comes with the need of telling the necessary story of a boring book. cutting out a few minutes of frivolous scenes won't change that. but we had that disussion since ros in season 1, in the end the success proved that d&d made the right call. if we got some book readers' vision of the show witthout some fun, gore and nudity it would probably have been too dry for such a massive success.

besides, I don't think it's unlikely that davos will still be sent to manderly, since we get euron in season 6 as well. it's not unreasonable to doubt that, though, he doesnt bring anything worthwhile to the table and is not nearly as interesting as other cut characters like coldhands, stoneheart, victarion and val.

NeoGiff

Not to kick a dead horse, but:

Fl5WVKR.jpg

Ehhh...

And yeah, I also loved how absolutely filthy Drogon's mouth and throat looked. It must have stank when he roared at Dany.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I hope they're okay. It doesn't sound like they have much else. :(

Gnome

Breaking Bad is a clockwork show revolving entirely around a single characters decisions. You know what the end is from the very beginning. Comparing it to GoT makes no sense.

For a book, having detail is fine. It paints a picture. And his books are fine for it. They paint a tapestry that is rife with imagination. I'm sure there is a cliffnotes version of his books if you really need to skip all that detail.

I bet you loved the Malazan series.

Blabbing on forever about inconsequentials is not the sign of a great writer or great writing. Not everything you can think of is worth writing down and publishing.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
The way she acted towards Tyrion in the "Eww, you're gross" way is what made me dislike her. It was outright intolerance towards dwarfs.

To be fair Tyrion is supposed to be really ugly from the books - Show Tyrion looks way too good lol.

Jarmel

Banned
I am curious if they would kill Jon off and not actually revive him.

There hasn't been much foreshadowing him coming back from the dead other than some joke lines so I wonder if they would just leave him dead.

That might be a major deviation but I could see them possibly doing it.

Jigorath

Banned
I can't believe they burned Shireen. She was so sweet :(

Also, Davos saves Gendry but leaves without taking Shireen? C'mon son

Well it's not like Davos knew what was going to happen. He was probably more worried about her getting hurt in a battle. Had he any idea he would have gotten her out of there.

Moff

I'm confused, wtf did they think was going to happen?

they are not talking about the show spoiling possible future events.
what they are angry about is that D&D confirmed it will be the same in the books.
there is a slight difference, not that it wouldn't make them complete idiots, though.

Eidan

D&D not deliberately spoiling the upcoming book events ?
ie "lol we did this because GRRM totally told us it was going to happen"

I honestly can't tell if this is sarcasm or not. Did people expect that the show would continue on...just without ever revealing info that wasn't revealed in the books?

EDIT: Ah, got it. Well hey, I guess they should learn to be a bit more cautious, like non-book readers. No more Inside the Episode clips for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom