• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 5 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Guys, next Sunday night is going to be a bloodbath among show only watchers.

Lets See:

5 seasons of building him up as not only a badass, but as an honorable leader.
Countless hints at him being something more than a Snow.
Responsible for saving 100s (thousands?) of lives.
Has shown he has the balls to stand up to those above him.
Two episodes ago he charged straight into the White Walkers attack, doing everything to save the lives of people who want him dead.
Defeated a White Walker in single combat.

Only to be killed off by a 12 year old kid and some pissy criminals.

If that is not the biggest fuck you to show watchers (and book readers IMO) I don't know what is, lol. People will fucking break...

...and Ramsey will still be alive and be partly responsible for Jon's death. LOL

D&D must be creaming themselves due to the anticipation alone...

Emerson

May contain jokes =>

Lets See:

Two episodes ago he charged straight into the White Walkers attack, doing everything to save the lives of people who want him dead.

If that is not the biggest fuck you to show watchers (and book readers IMO) I don't know what is, lol. People will fucking break...

...and Ramsey will still be alive and be partly responsible for Jon's death. LOL

It's a major mistake. I'm not sure what else to say about it at this point.

Jarmel

Banned

Lets See:

Also unlike most characters who die on the show due to their own stupidity like Ned, Jon didn't really have a major fuck up. His actions were by and large the right thing to do and he does try to explain himself.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Blame GRRM and his hatred for his own fans.

No, in the books Jon is obviously not permanently dead. It's just as necessary and important to the overall story as Ned or Robb's death. Furthermore, the story as a whole is so much more complex and interesting that even if he were dead, there are other signs of life and things to give you some hope (northern conspiracy, Nymeria's wolfpack, etc.). The show is devoid of all of that. Killing off what the show-only viewers see as pretty much their only hope is simply a bad idea.

In the show there has been zero indication that Jon will be resurrected and unless they hammer it hard next week there won't be any reason to think so. It will just be another fuck you to a group of fans (nonreaders) who are growing increasingly weary with being shit on.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Also unlike most characters who die on the show due to their own stupidity like Ned, Jon didn't really have a major fuck up. His actions were by and large the right thing to do and he does try to explain himself.

Apparently saving countless lives and ending a pointless feud is more worthy of death than raping women with dogs and flaying people at will.

Speevy

Banned
Brienne will stab Stannis. Melisandre will be all like "Lord of light, shine your light upon him, save him from death and darkness." and Jon wakes up.

jett

D-Member

Lets See:

Been saying it, but if they really do end it on the cliffhanger of Jon's death, which would be a HUGE mistake, a fucklot of people will give up on this shit. You can only push people so much.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
No, in the books Jon is obviously not permanently dead. It's just as necessary and important to the overall story as Ned or Robb's death.

In the show there has been zero indication that Jon will be resurrected and unless they hammer it hard next week there won't be any reason to think so. It will just be another fuck you to a group of fans (nonreaders) who are growing increasingly weary with being shit on.

From what I understand there is no indication in the books that he isn't dead either, just speculation and hope. If he isn't dead in the books then obviously he wont be in season 6 either.

I agree with your second point though.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Brienne will stab Stannis. Melisandre will be all like "Lord of light, shine your light upon him, save him from death and darkness." and Jon wakes up.

This is exactly what they should do, and I hope they do. I'm guessing that they're going to try to cliffhanger it, and it will be awful.

From what I understand there is no indication in the books that he isn't dead either, just speculation and hope. If he isn't dead in the books then obviously he wont be in season 6 either.

I agree with your second point though.

Have you read the books? "from what you understand"?

The book opens with a prologue specifically developed to introduce the idea of a warg going into an animal on death. Jon's last word/thought is "Ghost." There have been multiple visions "man-wolf-man" etc. all of which make it pretty clear. It's really not speculation. Jon is coming back to life, unless GRRM has completely abandoned all literary reason.

Been saying it, but if they really do end it on the cliffhanger of Jon's death, which would be a HUGE mistake, a fucklot of people will give up on this shit. You can only push people so much.
Does it really matter? Enough people will keep watching to sustain the two seasons they have left.

Jarmel

Banned
Apparently saving countless lives and ending a pointless feud is more worthy of death than raping women with dogs and flaying people at will.

Jon's mistake was being too smart for his target audience.

Honestly the whole backstabbing of Jon really serves to highlight how much of a shitcrew the Night's Watch is. They've literally backstabbed two commanders in a row, both of whom were voted into position.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog

I have a bone to pick with resurrection though. Basically, that will make Jon immortal which means we don't ever have to worry about him dying again because he can be rezed at will by a mage.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
I have a bone to pick with resurrection though. Basically, that will make Jon immortal which means we don't ever have to worry about him dying again because he can be rezed at will by a mage.

That's a legitimate concern with the idea of resurrection as a plot device in general, but it's already well-established in the universe.

Also it's been shown that resurrection is not a benign process and is destructive to both the subject and the priest who revives them.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
This is exactly what they should do, and I hope they do. I'm guessing that they're going to try to cliffhanger it, and it will be awful.

Have you read the books? "from what you understand"?

The book opens with a prologue specifically developed to introduce the idea of a warg going into an animal on death. Jon's last word/thought is "Ghost." There have been multiple visions "man-wolf-man" etc. all of which make it pretty clear. It's really not speculation. Jon is coming back to life, unless GRRM has completely abandoned all literary reason.

No I would not subject myself to GRRMs books, I dislike his writing style immensely. Also, the show is depressing enough but I have enjoyed it so far. I will watch even if Jon stays dead because I have a morbid fascination with train wrecks moving in slow motion.

I spoiled myself on purpose and have read all the theories.

I really hope the warging into the wolf thing doesn't happen. Having Jon be replaced by a cg wolf that can't talk would be dreadfully boring.

Honestly the whole backstabbing of Jon really serves to highlight how much of a shitcrew the Night's Watch is. They've literally backstabbed two commanders in a row, both of whom were voted into position.

Book Jon essentially breaks his vows to pursue a personal vendetta against the Boltons and save his sister. They had a point. Traitors and deserters are executed and what Jon was doing wasn't far from that. There was nothing smart about his response to the pink letter.

Got into a conversation with someone who had responded to Linda, and she RTd a tweet about (potential episode 10 spoiler):
Brienne killing Stannis. Thus burning Shireen was the irredeemable act required for him to be killed.

GcgWMVV.gif

Moosichu

No I would not subject myself to GRRMs books, I dislike his writing style immensely. Also, the show is depressing enough.

I spoiled myself on purpose and have read all the theories.

I really hope the warging into the wolf thing doesn't happen. Having Jon be replaced by a cg wolf that can't talk would be dreadfully boring.

The Wolf isn't CG.

Also, in the fires, Melisandre sees Jon turning into Wolf and then back into Jon. So he probably does warg into his wolf, but soon after his body is restored to working condition and he wargs back.

Kain

Yes there is, all the Stark kids can warg and his last word I think it was "Ghost...", Robb did it too before dying, but they killed Greywolf too so his escape plan was for nothing. Also Mel is at the Wall and it has been shown that red priests can resurrect people (no matter how bad at their job they are).

Jon's resurrection will be different because he will be inside Ghost for a while so it's to be expected his coming back to life will be different than LSH. I mean, resurrections have been free until now, the only drawback being (that we know of) the loss of some memories. I fully expect these resurrections have some other dark bonds behind to R'hllor or whatever we don't know yet and if all goes as planned Jon will be free of.

Euron

Ok so next week they have to cover:

Walk of Shame
Arya Killing Trant
Balon's Death (lol)
Jon sending Sam away
For the Watch
Sansa Stuff (Brienne?)
Stannis marching on Winterfell (Brienne?)
Dany with the Dothraki
Aftermath in Meereen
Doran's Plan
Ferris having fun with a crossbow

Either everything is going to be halfassed or we're not getting the last two and the Winterfell stuff will range from Eh to flat out terrible.

foxtrot3d

Banned

Are we talking about the books? Because why them stabbing Jon was stupid he did break his oath by trying to take the Wildings and any Night's Watchmen who would join him South to attack Winterfell. It's only after his declared treason that he gets stabbed. If the show keeps that in then it will be alright and Olly can be considered somewhat justified after Jon and Sam's whole "you gotta be loyal to the Watch" speeches.

Speevy

Banned
They managed to settle entire conflicts in the show Rome without showing any bloodshed.

Just montages of swords, heads on spikes, flags burning, etc.

This works in a pinch, believe it or not.

Of course, Rome had some brilliant directors who were under a lot more pressure than D&D are.

jett

D-Member

Well Jon did go the extra mile of attempting to galvanize the entire Night's Watch into breaking their vows and fight for Stannis to rescue his "sister", right? I don't remember if the betrayalton was already too far in motion there, but it seemed to be the straw the broke the camel's back.

Or worse, they'll just start saying crap like this:

Hah, that was an in-the-moment gut reaction to the shireen business. :p

kris.

Banned
Ok so next week they have to cover:

Walk of Shame
Arya Killing Trant
Balon's Death (lol)
Jon sending Sam away
For the Watch
Sansa Stuff (Brienne?)
Stannis marching on Winterfell (Brienne?)
Dany with the Dothraki
Aftermath in Meereen
Doran's Plan
Ferris having fun with a crossbow

Either everything is going to be halfassed or we're not getting the last two and the Winterfell stuff will range from Eh to flat out terrible.

LSH
pls believe

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Are we talking about the books? Because why them stabbing Jon was stupid he did break his oath by trying to take the Wildings and any Night's Watchmen who would join him South to attack Winterfell. It's only after his declared treason that he gets stabbed. If the show keeps that in then it will be alright and Olly can be considered somewhat justified after Jon and Sam's whole "you gotta be loyal to the Watch" speeches.

I doubt people will see it that way after seeing the "vows" be broken for quite a while now. An example being Sam having sex just an episode ago after some crows were about to break their own vows.

The Nights Watch is kind of a joke to begin with as an organization.

jett

D-Member
They managed to settle entire conflicts in the show Rome without showing any bloodshed.

Of course, Rome had some brilliant directors who were under a lot more pressure than D&D are.

Rome is too good to be compared to the likes of this show.

I really can't believe how badly GoT wasted Ciaran Hinds.

Moff

I loved rome and it's the far superior show, but i remember being super disappointed by the battles. like I couldn't believe we only got a montage.

foxtrot3d

Banned
I doubt people will see it that way after seeing the "vows" be broken for quite a while now. An example being Sam having sex just an episode ago after some crows were about to break their own vows.

The Nights Watch is kind of a joke to begin with as an organization.

It's one thing for Sam or your average Watchmen to break his vows, it's another for the Lord Commander especially a VERY serious vow like not getting involved in Southern Politics/Wars. Digging in Mole's Town isn't exactly the biggest deal especially since the vows don't exactly prohibit it.

But yeah, the NW as an organization makes no real sense.

Moff

It's one thing for Sam or your average Watchmen to break his vows, it's another for the Lord Commander especially a VERY serious vow like not getting involved in Southern Politics/Wars. Digging in Mole's Town isn't exactly the biggest deal especially since the vows don't exactly prohibit it.

yeah I think that was established well in both the books and the show, not all vows are equally important. everyone goes whoring in molestown, but desert and you will die.

Kain

I can see Sam as Nightowl.

Stannis is Rorschach.

Theon is Silk Spectre.

Ramsay is Dr Manhattan or Ozymandias. Or both combined in his awesomeness.

Paganmoon

My post will contain spoilers for tWoW preview chapters:

I see some, proclaiming this "as bad as ep 6" and complaining about different aspects of the episode, so here are a few things regarding that:

Arya:
Her parts were very much in line with Mercy, and Trant is the replacement for Rafford, with the same type of tastes, hell the whole preview chapter was really uncomfortable to read, and I don't see GRRM getting flack for it. And now D&D are hacks cause Trant is portrayed as a pedo? (D&D are hacks, but this aint the reason)

Shireen:
Been hinted at in the books that this will happen, now GRRM apparently approved/suggested they'd film it. You're going to most likely read about in the books, and it's going to get praised. (Not the first time right, Red Wedding was a horrible event, but it gets praised for its writing.)

Dany:
See a few bringing up that she just flew away, and hell I thought the same, "what the hell you're just leaving everyone, in the middle of the fighting?" then I remembered, oh yeah, that's straight from the books, but D&D are at fault here... somehow.

The show has issues, and lots of them, but jumping on any and all things just makes all arguments, even the ones that have merit, ring hollow.

And in other news, I'm going to be so wrong about for the watch. Since the beginning I've thought they wouldn't end on that cliffhanger (considering it's hard to keep casting a secret), but I guess they will. Or Jon is dead, dead.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Jesus, Linda and Elio's Twitter sure sounds nasty. That's probably not such a nice thing to say to people who collaborate on similar projects.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom