• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 5 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.
E10 preview

We go to Moat Calin in Episode 10. Why?

We don't know it's Moat Cailin, looks like it certainly but surely that part of the North should be covered in snow by now? If it is Moat Cailin my guess is that we'll get a shot of The Vale army marching north. They won't arrive in S5, but we'll see they're on the move. Aidan Gillen isn't in the final episode so we won't be seeing Littlefinger.

I think it's more likely to be a shot of Dany, post-Drogon flight. He'll drop her off near Valyria which looked pretty green in episode 7(?)

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Staged terribly is a different argument. The argument is whether or not the Unsullied should be taken down by guerilla warfare which is yes. They're not anime characters who swing their spear with lines on the screen and 10 men scream in agony and go flying away. They're just well trained people. They are susceptible to being mobbed.

Ramsay snuck in a camp with 20 people (a camp of thousands) and burned tents and weaponry. This isn't some impossible feat. It's nitpicking at its finest.

I don't think they are. There shouldn't be an argument over Unsullied vs. guerilla warfare, because it happened in the books. But how everything is depicted on the show this season, this supposed battle-hardened force is laughable.

Re: The whole Ramsay thing. If you can't see how some people might see it as being contrived, I don't know what to say. If they showed how Ramsay actually infiltrated the camp and sabotage their stores, I don't think you'd see as much complaining. But we don't see that. We get the shirtless guy who faced off 20 good guys from the Iron Islands, ninja the shit out of Stannis. In some people's minds, he hasn't earned that ability to pull this off.

The Unsullied are not the robotic death army anymore. They wouldn't go to brothels or want company if so. They've been greatly humanized over the series.

Robotic death army? Where are you getting this stuff?

Staged terribly is a different argument. The argument is whether or not the Unsullied should be taken down by guerilla warfare which is yes.

No. That's really not been the argument at all.

You call me dug in? You're fanatic about a book and show where dragons and zombies exist with giants and people who can control animals.

And we're done here.

Crisco

Banned
Also, it really sounds like people are applying episodes 4's complaints to last night's episode. Every Harpy who went face to face with an Unsullied got slaughtered rather easily, exactly like you're all saying they should have been. It took multiple Harpies to bring down each Unsullied, usually by stabbing in the back. At the end they were basically taking suicide runs at Dany one at a time because they were afraid to push forward in unison. Still, the odds were just overwhelming until Drogon showed up.

The Unsullied are not the robotic death army anymore. They wouldn't go to brothels or want company if so. They've been greatly humanized over the series. Yes. They will scream. Why is that bad? Does that make them... less skilled?

People are seriously denying how many Harpies were in the arena. Heck, Drogon would have died because of spears if Dany didn't leave with him. I honestly wonder if you guys actually think these people are as durable as terminators--that they'll kill 1000 men each without breaking a sweat. Yes. They have tactics. Those tactics are useless when, you know, getting stabbed by the people you're supposed to be protecting. USA and Russia both lost these types of wars, y'all shouldn't be surprised when this type of stuff is effective.

Staged terribly is a different argument. The argument is whether or not the Unsullied should be taken down by guerilla warfare which is yes. They're not anime characters who swing their spear with lines on the screen and 10 men scream in agony and go flying away. They're just well trained people. They are susceptible to being mobbed.
People's complaint isn't that the Unsullied aren't an army of invincible super soldiers. The complaint is that they're completely and utterly inept in every way, and that on the show, an army of Hot Pies would be just as effective.
Even in close quarters, in narrow corridors, where a weapon like a spear would be ideal for keeping dagger weilding thugs at bay, they get trounced. They're not just getting mobbed in hit and run attacks like the books, they're getting openly challenged and consistently losing.

Moosichu

The Unsullied are not the robotic death army anymore. They wouldn't go to brothels or want company if so. They've been greatly humanized over the series. Yes. They will scream. Why is that bad? Does that make them... less skilled?

People are seriously denying how many Harpies were in the arena. Heck, Drogon would have died because of spears if Dany didn't leave with him. I honestly wonder if you guys actually think these people are as durable as terminators--that they'll kill 1000 men each without breaking a sweat. Yes. They have tactics. Those tactics are useless when, you know, getting stabbed by the people you're supposed to be protecting. USA and Russia both lost these types of wars, y'all shouldn't be surprised when this type of stuff is effective.

Ramsay snuck in a camp with 20 people (a camp of thousands) and burned tents and weaponry. This isn't some impossible feat. It's nitpicking at its finest.

You call me dug in? You're fanatic about a book and show where dragons and zombies exist with giants and people who can control animals. 20 men burn supplies in a camp of thousands, a father sacrifices his daughter (same man who has a history of sacrifice and killing loved ones), and Unsullied who, you know, die when stabbed are bad? Yes. Stannis was motivated. Sacrificing his daughter is out of the question? It's quite obvious his goal has ALWAYS come first. A boogeyman in Mereen? Well, yeah. It's conflict. The White Walkers are boogeymen but no one cares points that out. Can you detail why that's wrong instead of saying it's wrong?

It's bad because it's a plothole. Harpies aren't trained not to react to pain. They've taken drugs to remove their ability to feel it completely.

The problem a lot of people are having that the Harpies in the show aren't even doing Guerilla war properly in the first place.

It being staged badly is part.of the same argument.

No one is expecting that strawman.

Except it's ok if Ramsay is some shirtless soldier with anime superpowers :p

Also, it really sounds like people are applying episodes 4's complaints to last night's episode. Every Harpy who went face to face with an Unsullied got slaughtered rather easily, exactly like you're all saying they should have been. It took multiple Harpies to bring down each Unsullied, usually by stabbing in the back. At the end they were basically taking suicide runs at Dany one at a time because they were afraid to push forward in unison. Still, the odds were just overwhelming until Drogon showed up.

There's truth to what you're saying. We probably are carrying forward stuff from EP4, which was a much worse offender than EP9. Still, we did see a lot of disorder from the Unsullied as well as several more shots of them screaming out in pain. This really isn't about Unsullied being killed or even bested (for me, at least) - it's really more about them staying "in character" - regardless of the outcome.

Kain

I'm thinking that the last shot of this season will be the furious look on Cersei's face after Robert Strong catches her.

Tigress

Honestly, I just thought it was really convenient in the end that the Harpies were only coming at them one by one so that they could defend Daenarys at all. No way in hell if they had actually mobbed them properly would they even be able to defend Daenarys that long and I'm not sure why they would make it so easy on them as to just attack one by one when they have them surrounded. It's not like you need to be an expert to realize that attacking them all at once is going to be more effective than taking turns. Part of the problem is it is easier to suspend disbelief in a book and let people's imagination work it out. But trying to show it in live action (not even cartoon), makes it look a lot more unrealistic a feat.

Also, I have never hated Stannis more than I did this episode (it's been a while since I read the books, was this one of the book spoilers cause I don't remember it). I mean I've never liked the guy. At the best of times I was indifferent to him to outright disliking/hating him. But I never hated him as much as I did this episode. I agree with people, it's in character, guy is power hungry. But that just illustrated how horrible he really was (to the point he could even watch his kid scream in pain and not even flinch).

Brakke

Banned
It's pretty hard to organize a charge with no officers. If Some Dude You Don't Know shouts "charge" and then you're the only one that starts running, you're going to get stabbed before you get a chance to yell "hey guys c'mon do it charge yeah let's go!".

Speevy

Banned
If you'll look closely at the preview image, there's a single figure standing on a mountainside. It's Dany.

What if he flew her to Westeros lol

Forkball

Heavily guarded? Stannis even inquired if they were lazy or traitors. Did you want a play-by-play of how this went down? You can stretch your imagination just a bit in a land of fairy tales and magic that 20 people were able to set some shit on fire in a giant army camp (where you're not known). At this point it's nitpickery for the sake of nitpickery. Was it done flawlessly? No. May as well say, "HOW DID DROGON KNOW WHERE DAEYNERAS WAS?!>!?!?! NEED TO SEE THE SCENT TRAIL RECEIPTS."
Drogon knew where Dany was because he's fucking magic.

Ramsay ain't magic.

Kain

LSH this sunday lets goooooo.

Yeah about that

game-of-thrones-5x10-Sansa-300x169.png

LSH this sunday lets goooooo.
Haha, you know what, I'm going to permit myself to get hyped one last time on account of the 'Mother's Mercy' score piece posted earlier. It sounds almost too perfect for a Stoneheart reveal scene. What she'd do now that Jaime is moonlighting in a Xena episode and Brienne has fallen asleep for half the season waiting for someone to shine the bat-signal, I don't quite know, but if sitting around doing nothing is good enough for Brienne and Mance, it's okay for LSH.

Kusagari

People are hating on Ramsay and his 20 men because it's another contrived scenario that he pulled off flawlessly.

And he didn't just set tents on fire. He and his good men somehow burned a shitload of tents, food and all their supplies. It's completely implausible nobody realized this as it was happening. And of course it's handwaved that they knew the land better, because that allows Solid Ramsay to get his metal gear on.

Mr Git

Unsullied really are terrible in the show, I think it's fair to criticise their half arsed depiction of them. It's also just kinda jarring how the different production teams vary in their quality. The Hardhome director and choreographer should be cloned and sent to all the locations.

Speevy

Banned
I think it would be funny to start asking D and D "Who gets raped or burned this week?"

Dead serious, no sarcasm, like enthusiastic even.

ZeroRay

This show is putting Rmasay over like 2006 John Cena.

There's no logical way Ramsay could have pulled the raid off without getting caught. The noises from the horses alone would have stirred a commotion. Hell, having a small Bolton force luring out much of Stannis' camp and having Ramsay do the raid would have been acceptable instead of Kage Ramsay.

Mr Git

Maybe they just flayed 20 guards and wore their skin as disguises. Sansa should definitely wear Ramsay after flaying him. Ramsay's skin is stronger than all known armour.

Maybe they just flayed 20 guards and wore their skin as disguises. Sansa should definitely wear Ramsay after flaying him. Ramsay's skin is stronger than all known armour.

A friend of mine thought that Ramsey and his 20 good men might still be in the camp in disguise since the camera seemed to focus on some random soldiers pretty often. It would actually be a better explanation than what we got. "Knew the land", come on.

Patapwn

People are hating on Ramsay and his 20 men because it's another contrived scenario that he pulled off flawlessly.

And he didn't just set tents on fire. He and his good men somehow burned a shitload of tents, food and all their supplies. It's completely implausible nobody realized this as it was happening. And of course it's handwaved that they knew the land better, because that allows Solid Ramsay to get his metal gear on.

This was the worst sin committed this season, perhaps the whole series. How does shirtless ramsay and his booze crew fuck up everything for a massive army and then just skip away unnoticed and unharmed?

Speevy

Banned
Sansa escapes with Brienne, finds Bran and Rickon, takes a boat to Braavos and meets with Arya.

Arya tells Sansa she knows a safe place.

Jaqen meets both of them, face changes into Ramsay.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Sansa escapes with Brienne, finds Bran and Rickon, takes a boat to Braavos and meets with Arya.

Arya tells Sansa she knows a safe place.

Jaqen meets both of them, face changes into Ramsay.
And Brienne takes her "face" off to reveal that it's just Reek on stilts.

So Daenarys isn't going to get Grey Scale because of Jonah, is she?

I couldn't tell if they were putting such a big focus on her taking his hand because she is trusting him again or because he's contagious.

Do you need to touch skin that has the scales to get infected, or just contact in general?

foxtrot3d

Banned

I couldn't tell if they were putting such a big focus on her taking his hand because she is trusting him again or because he's contagious.

Do you need to touch skin that has the scales to get infected, or just contact in general?

I somehow doubt Dany is getting greyscale. I also just want to say that I'm back on the DanyTrain, not that I ever really left. A lot of people give her shit and crazies keep speculating she'll become the villain of the series but I don't see it. While I really couldn't process that Pitt sequence the first watch through after the ruining of the Mannis, on subsequent rewatches all I can do is smile. When she climbs on Drogon as the music just swells that sweet theme as all her advisers look on I can't help but go "FUCK YEA!"

Fire and Blood, motherfuckers! The true Azor Ahai, bring it Night's King.

They probably forgot they gave Jorah greyscale when they filmed that. I doubt she will get greyscale. Although it would look pretty sweet if she had scaled arms or something so she looked part dragon.

It was more of a trust thing

Brakke

Banned
A friend of mine thought that Ramsey and his 20 good men might still be in the camp in disguise since the camera seemed to focus on some random soldiers pretty often. It would actually be a better explanation than what we got. "Knew the land", come on.

I like that. Stannis's army has a ton of sellswords anyway, might could pass off as a squad nobody recognizes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom