• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 5 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sean*O

This was the worst sin committed this season, perhaps the whole series. How does shirtless ramsay and his booze crew fuck up everything for a massive army and then just skip away unnoticed and unharmed?

Yes, it's completely ridiculous.. Just as bad was "it was twenty men" as if the twenty men stopped on their way out so Davos or whoever could get a head count before they made their exit.

CassSept

Well, at least Hardhome was great?

Shireen is painful and I refuse to believe this is how it happens in the books, I simply refuse to believe it. There must be something missing.

Drogon CGI was off but well, I guess TV budget and all, not every episode can look like Hardhome. Unsullied continue to be useless compared to their book counterparts.

Oh man. For the watch? (next episode music spoiler)

FU Olly

Sounds pretty stabby to me.

jett

D-Member
Oh man. For the watch? (next episode music spoiler)

FU Olly

hay guyz watz going on here

tumblr_mkwfo8Og3k1r8q9x8o1_500.gif

cLOUDo

20 men who know the field and that are better acclimated to snow
The horses died because of the fire

is so hard to believe?

TRios Zen

They probably forgot they gave Jorah greyscale when they filmed that. I doubt she will get greyscale. Although it would look pretty sweet if she had scaled arms or something so she looked part dragon.

She gives Drogon greyscale...so he is a Stone Dragon now (power levels = max).

I don't post a lot but this thread has kept me entertained these last 9 weeks, gonna miss it when it goes silent.

jett

D-Member
I feel Tommen will remain king, cuz he's nice and all, and Jon and Dany will die while stopping the Others onslaught.

Burt

Shireen is painful and I refuse to believe this is how it happens in the books, I simply refuse to believe it. There must be something missing.

It actually would make much more sense in the books. Book Stannis is a much bigger hardline asshole, and their situation is much, much worse than is portrayed in the show. Yeah, Davos gave us the token "We go forward, we die. We go back, we die" no-win ultimatum that forced the desperate third option, but really, things just didn't feel that bad. There was like 6 inches of snow on the ground, no cannibalism because their food literally just ran out (and I guess they didn't even bother failing at hunting yet), and one shot of a dude that looked pretty cold. In the books there's a much more palpable sense of "We're all about to die holy shit what to do".

Burning Shireen in hopes of keeping his quest for the throne alive and fulfilling his 'destiny' is the most book-Stannis thing show-Stannis has ever done.

carlsojo

is so hard to believe?

Yeah I didn't think it was weird either until I went on the internet and found out I was wrong.

Though I did kind of wonder if Melisandre lit a few extra fires.

TRios Zen

It actually would make much more sense in the books. Book Stannis is a much bigger hardline asshole, and their situation is much, much worse than is portrayed in the show. Yeah, Davos gave us the token "We go forward, we die. We go back, we die" no-win ultimatum that forced the desperate third option, but really, things just didn't feel that bad. There was like 6 inches of snow on the ground, no cannibalism because their food literally just ran out (and I guess they didn't even bother failing at hunting yet), and one shot of a dude that looked pretty cold. In the books there's a much more palpable sense of "We're all about to die holy shit what to do".

Burning Shireen in hopes of keeping his quest for the throne alive and fulfilling his 'destiny' is the most book-Stannis thing show-Stannis has ever done.

Doesn't it kind of feel like he's used his "ace in the hole" long before he's close to achieving his goal? Winning the Battle of Winterfell is a STEP in his journey, not the final destination and he doesn't have his daughter around anymore to burn.

Yeah I didn't think it was weird either until I went on the internet and found out I was wrong.

Though I did kind of wonder if Melisandre lit a few extra fires.

Her reaction would argue she did not light any of the fires. She showed shock at the beginning of the episode when she went out side and saw fires start to engulf tents.

is so hard to believe?

Not hard at all.

20 men riding out in the snow over a great distance, infiltrating a camp of thousands, going from tent to tent in order to identify all the food stores and siege weapons (all of which would have been under wraps due to the weather- this would take hours) and then magically rigging them up to all catch fire at the same exact moment, then escaping the camp all without a single person being seen or heard? Happens all the time, I'm sure.

Brakke

Banned
Her reaction would argue she did not light any of the fires. She showed shock at the beginning of the episode when she went out side and saw fires start to engulf tents.

She was surprised because it was the first time she cast a spell and it worked lol.

Or because she was waking up from a Jon Snow sex-dream. She got so hot and bothered she lit shit on fire. She's surprised by that burning passionate love.

Speevy

Banned
By the way, I just hit 1,003 posts in this thread. If my posts were good men, imagine how many Stannis armies I could destroy.

Burt

Doesn't it kind of feel like he's used his "ace in the hole" long before he's close to achieving his goal? Winning the Battle of Winterfell is a STEP in his journey, not the final destination and he doesn't have his daughter around anymore to burn.

Yeah, but the alternative is that everyone dies, so there's not much of a choice at that point.

Not hard at all.

20 men riding out in the snow over a great distance, infiltrating a camp of thousands, going from tent to tent in order to identify all the food stores and siege weapons (all of which would have been under wraps due to the weather- this would take hours) and then magically rigging them up to all catch fire at the same exact moment, then escaping the camp all without a single person being seen or heard? Happens all the time, I'm sure.

20 well-provisioned, well-trained, well-rested, well-equipped, well-disguised men finding a loosely-guarded spot to sneak into a camp whose circumference is probably measured in miles and is guarded by freezing, hungry, near-mutinous men who haven't done anything but stare at snow for weeks and who believe the weather precludes the opportunity of an attack, all managing to light their own fire once they see the first fire start? I'd buy it.

Once they're in, there's really nothing else to worry about as long as they're not wearing flayed men sigils. I doubt anyone would get locked up for carrying a torch around.

Mr Git

Ramsay's infiltration I'm not sure I find that hard to believe. If they're good at it and did some scouting it's pretty believable. In the day shots you saw how fucked the troops were there - shivering and tired. Not gonna be the most astute or attentive as usual.

8bitsuperhero

Neo Member
Prior to the burning there was the theory that they'd burn Shireen to resurrect Stannis but it'd actually bring back Jon. I had the silly thought that it'd resurrect the true hero of the story and we'd get Ned Stark's skeleton running around killing guys.

20 well-provisioned, well-trained, well-rested, well-equipped, well-disguised men finding a loosely-guarded spot to sneak into a camp whose circumference is probably measured in miles and is guarded by freezing, hungry, near-mutinous men who haven't done anything but stare at snow for weeks and who believe the weather precludes the opportunity of an attack, all managing to light their own fire once they see the first fire start?

A camp with a circumference of miles. I wonder how long it would take to find all of the foodstuffs (which would be covered) in such a camp, at night, no less, and rig them all to catch fire. Do you know how much food is required for that many men on a daily basis? Any idea how exhaustively these 20 men would have to search through the camp to find it all?

Also, as you say, it's a camp full of hungry men. I wonder how much attention a camp full of hungry men pays to their food supply: A). A lot, B.) Some, or C.) None whatsoever. Nobody. Anywhere in this camp. At any of the dozens of foodstuffs. Was paying any attention to dudes rummaging around and jacking with the last resource they had left. Umkay.

I'd buy it.

That's actually good to hear. I've got a great investment opportunity to go over with you. You should PM me, scro.

I'm probably about 3 weeks late to the train with this but...

... Mother Mercy?

Clearly referring to Lady Selyse changing her mind.

Leech magic, instead of creating a StanShade this time revives Catelyn?

Burt

A camp with a circumference of miles. I wonder how long it would take to find all of the foodstuffs in such a camp, at night, no less, and rig them all to catch fire. Do you know how much food is required for that many men on a daily basis? Any idea how exhaustively these 20 men would have to search through the camp to find it all?

Also, as you say, it's a camp full of hungry men. I wonder how much attention a camp full of hungry men pays to their food supply: A). A lot, B.) Some, or C.) None whatsoever. Nobody. Anywhere in this camp. At any of the dozens of foodstuffs. Was paying any attention to dudes rummaging around and jacking with the last resource they had left. Umkay.

That's actually good to hear. I've got a great investment opportunity to go over with you. You should PM me, scro.

They aren't squirrels. They aren't hiding food in little caches all around the camp with decoys to throw people off. Probably. We don't know. But this 'dozens of foodstuffs' is absolutely a personal construction of yours in order to justify your argument.

On a completely unrelated note, if it was someone's job to, say, keep weapons from getting into airports and onto airplanes, and their livelihood depended entirely upon them doing their job well, and they did that job all day every day, what do you think the odds are of someone sneaking a weapon through airport security on them would be? I mean sure, 99% of the time they're on the job nothing happens, but there's no way that they would ever get lax just because nothing happens 99% of the time, right?

Ri'Orius

I really didn't have a problem with the Bolton Ninja Squad. Hit-and-run sneak attacks can be super effective.

What I did find unbelievable was the Sons of the Harpy business. A few fanatical cells I can buy, but they just had so many people who'd apparently decided that slavery was so cool they needed to start slaughtering their fellow citizens to make a point. Seemed like nearly half the audience had masks on! Wtf?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom