• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 5 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.
HlLpvz5.jpg

NeoGiff

OYSTERS CLAMS AND COCKLEEEESSSSSSSS!!!!!!!

I can't wait to start combing Twitter and torturing sources for info about Season 6 soon. The speculation will be fresh, interesting, and most importantly, based on nothing.

If they are ending with the stab as a cliffhanger, like what is believed, then LSH would be a nice reminder that ressurection exists in the show. Literally none of the casual show watchers remember Beric from 2 seasons ago.

LSH also gives Brienne something to do (and possibly Sansa as well) after this season.... because where are these plotlines going after Stannis and Ramsay/Boltons are dead.

They don't really need to do a reminder, I'm sure show watchers would be willing to accept some magic from Melisandre whether or not they remember what has been established. If they decide to do any of the LSH stuff, they could easily roll it into other characters. Maybe Sansa will go on the warpath, considering she has some motivation and has already intersected with Brienne.

ctothej

Guys, GRRM just made a post on his blog mainly answering a question about the show version of Targaryen lineage but also speaks briefly about "the Night's King" and Mace Tyrell:

So first, for people who don't understand why Face Tyrell is such an idiot it's because they've combined him with Harys Swyft. But, more importantly it seems GRRM just confirmed that the current NK is not the same as the previous NK of legend.

Where did you find this? None of his recent blog posts are about GOT as far as I can tell.

mantidor

People always complain how D&D aren't "subtle". People always complain when they elide stuff that doesn't matter. People always complain.

Y'all coming at this show in bad faith.

Are you saying Ramsay's raid was "subtlety"? lol Subtlety is not just "not explaining" things.

The fact people have to come up with explanations is what shows it was a terrible plot device. We have to assume and sometimes outright make up things to explain what happened. It's absurd.

Just because something isn't shown doesn't mean there isn't a explanation. There's a limited amount of time and sometimes you just don't get to see everything that spells out all the details. I'm ok with that in a TV show.

Brakke

Banned
Are you saying Ramsay's raid was "subtlety"? lol Subtlety is not just "not explaining" things.

No I didn't say that. The good men thing is expedient. It doesn't matter *how* it happened, all that matters is that it *did* happen. Because:

Just because something isn't shown doesn't mean there isn't a explanation. There's a limited amount of time and sometimes you just don't get to see everything that spells out all the details. I'm ok with that in a TV show.

And in fact, everyone here is ok with that in a book, too. GRR has a habit of doing remarkable things off-camera. Robb Stark, a child of 15 with no wartime experience, runs a flawless campaign in the Riverlands and in the West. That strains credulity, it doesn't make sense. But we choose to roll with it, because we all basically like the books so we give them benefit of the doubt, we allow GRR some expediency here and there. I figure most people wish desperately that GRR would get with the expediency a bit more in the books.

So yeah, maybe D&D swung a little too far here. It's silly to let that invalidate the whole show. And it's such a boring thing to fixate on.

The only things we've been discussing are the raid and the Unsullied. The first didn't even happen during this episode and to the second, the Unsullied didn't even "lose" their battle.

Can't we all just let it go and move on to the things that really matter, like 'shipping Jaime and Ellaria?

munchie64

No I didn't say that. The good men thing is expedient. It doesn't matter *how* it happened, all that matters is that it *did* happen. Because:

And in fact, everyone here is ok with that in a book, too. GRR has a habit of doing remarkable things off-camera. Robb Stark, a child of 15 with no wartime experience, runs a flawless campaign in the Riverlands and in the West. That strains credulity, it doesn't make sense. But we choose to roll with it, because we all basically like the books so we give them benefit of the doubt, we allow GRR some expediency here and there. I figure most people wish desperately that GRR would get with the expediency a bit more in the books.

So yeah, maybe D&D swung a little too far here. It's silly to let that invalidate the whole show. And it's such a boring thing to fixate on.

The only things we've been discussing are the raid and the Unsullied. The first didn't even happen during this episode and to the second, the Unsullied didn't even "lose" their battle.

Can't we all just let it go and move on to the things that really matter, like 'shipping Jaime and Ellaria?
This... is a damn good post.

foxtrot3d

Banned

I'm not one of those people caught up on the whole Ramsay sneak attack, even though I agree it makes no sense, but your defense of it also makes zero sense. Robb Stark's campaign doesn't strain credulity because he's literally been trained since birth in the art of warfare, and unlike Southerners who probably have a more rounded education, Northmen are all about warfare. Also, the idea of a boy genius commander isn't anything extraordinarily rare, within the show's own fiction we have Daeron Targaryen, the Young Dragon, who conquered all of Dorne at like 15. But, of course in our very own history we have people like Alexander the Great.

Ramsay's sneak attack makes absolutely zero sense. We are talking about Stannis, the guy who held Storm's End and beat the Ironborn at SEA. I would think he would have a well disciplined and battle hardened fighting force with him and he would make sure that his camp was well secured, especially the food stores, the one thing keeping them alive in this terrible winter. In fact, the food stores WOULD BE THE MOST GUARDED part of the camp besides the King's tent. If they were already down to butchering horses for meat then I think Stannis would make sure that the food stores were guarded vigorously to ensure they lasted and to ensure none of his own men tried to take more food than was given. And yet, Ramsay and his "20 good men" are able infiltrate the camp, find all the food stores, burn them, and escape without anyone sounding an alarm.

However, I don't care about Ramsay's raid because I understand what it is. It's helluva bad writing but it's simply a speedy explanation as to why Stannis must burn Shireen. The show doesn't have time (or rather thinks it doesnt) to spend episode after episode displaying a deteriorating conditions in Stannis' camp as they slowly eat through their food stuffs. Ramsay swooping down and burning it all like a force of nature is simply an expedient, if not slightly implausible, motivator to move Stannis from plot point A to plot point B. The same reason why LF has a magic teleporter. It's crap writing but they basically force themselves to use it when they back themselves into a corner.

Speevy

Banned
Thinking back on it, I would have loved to see Ramsay Bolton cause a little havoc. Something besides flaying people.

Either show the whole event of burning everything on screen, or show nothing on screen. Don't show something that doesn't look all that impressive, then talk about it as though it was impressive.

It goes back to what I said about conveyance. They wrote a scenario and didn't convince the audience that it happened the way it is described.

Is it possible Ramsey is actually just really good at what he does? Based on, well....the things he's done.
that's what I said a couple pages ago. Duckroll said the same. What if he's just that damn good? Why are we not accepting that as a possibility.

His stats are probably sick.

I'd venture to argue there's more support for young commanders in war than "20 good men" destroying a great military commander's camp supplies. Whereas Joan of Arc won multiple battles when she was 15...
QovB07n.png

Speevy

Banned
that's what I said a couple pages ago. Duckroll said the same. What if he's just that damn good? Why are we not accepting that as a possibility.

His stats are probably sick.

I totally believe Ramsay is a burning, pillaging fool. He's a maniac. Why wasn't he in the episode?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom