• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 5 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

CassSept

There was like 6 inches of snow on the ground, no cannibalism because their food literally just ran out (and I guess they didn't even bother failing at hunting yet), and one shot of a dude that looked pretty cold.

That's what bothered me the most I think. I personally remember a winter with 3 feet of snow and I don't even live in Northern Europe. What we've seen in the show is barely an average snowstorm, not a disaster worth sacrificing your daughter, your only daughter, your only heir, with the worst winter in living memory right around the corner.

I'm probably about 3 weeks late to the train with this but...

... Mother Mercy?

Clearly referring to Lady Selyse changing her mind.

Leech magic, instead of creating a StanShade this time revives Catelyn?

I know you're joking, but it's Walk of Shame, High Sparrow mentioned "Mother's Mercy".

Are LSH people actually serious? Guys, gals, it ain't happening GRRM himself stated she was a cut character. And, why would D&D introduce her now? Jon will clearly be revived so having LSH appear this late in the game would cheapen his resurrection and death in general. LSH is gone, get over it and the show is better with her cut.
I don't think she's in, but I also think the show has been worse for having cut her. Without LSH we've had Jaime farting around in a garbage sub-plot and the worst scenes the show has ever had and Brienne has been reduced to doing absolutely nothing at all for most of the season.
It would certainly spice up this finale because there isn't really anything else interesting going to happen. But no, I don't really think it will.

foxtrot3d

Banned
I don't think she's in, but I also think the show has been worse for having cut her. Without LSH we've had Jaime farting around in a garbage sub-plot and the worst scenes the show has ever had and Brienne has been reduced to doing absolutely nothing at all for most of the season.
It would certainly spice up this finale because there isn't really anything else interesting going to happen. But no, I don't really think it will.

I never liked LSH in the books especially since she's "absent" except for like two brief scenes. I would have loved if they did the Jaimie Riverlands plot but you don't need LSH for that, just bring back Berric if you want to include the BWB at all.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Without LSH, Jamie and Brienne have been pretty bleh, and the characters of Thoros, Beric, BWB, the Freys, Riverrun and Blackfish just went poof, gone.

They chose poorly with Dorne. The only character I kind of remember from that section of the book, was Arianne, and she was cut out/replaced by Elleria, and she was portrayed pretty damn bad by her actress (who I've liked in other things, like Rome). Give me Iron Islands and Midlands/BWB/Freys/Riverrun/LSH stuff over that.

foxtrot3d

Banned
Guys, GRRM just made a post on his blog mainly answering a question about the show version of Targaryen lineage but also speaks briefly about "the Night's King" and Mace Tyrell:

GRRM said:

Of course, it could also be a subtle bit of characterization, as you suggest, intended to show that Mace is an idiot who does not know his Westerosi history. (Not a mistake that Book Mace would make, but the character in the show combines Mace with Harys Swyft, and actually seems more like the latter).
All this, of course, is surmise on my part. You would have to ask David or Dan or Bryan for a more definitive answer.

In the book canon, of course, there has only been only King Maegor, the reputation of Maegor the Cruel being so black. England has had only one King John, for much the same reasons. (Prince Aerion Brightflame did name his son Maegor, but that was meant as a provocation, and in any case the boy never sat the Iron Throne).

As for the Night's King (the form I prefer), in the books he is a legendary figure, akin to Lann the Clever and Brandon the Builder, and no more likely to have survived to the present day than they have.

So first, for people who don't understand why Face Tyrell is such an idiot it's because they've combined him with Harys Swyft. But, more importantly it seems GRRM just confirmed that the current NK is not the same as the previous NK of legend.

Burt

Actually, it's based on the amount of fires we saw spring up around the camp at the open of the episode.

A camp measured by miles: that's your statement. One we both agree on. Thousands of men. You think all the food (which, again, just a day's worth of food for that many men would eat up a LOT of space) is sitting in one big pile in the middle of the camp? With nobody watching it? Then, at dawn, Ramsay and his gang of 20 Snow Raidens light a bunch of fires at the same time all over the camp and all of them slip out unnoticed?

I'm sorry, but this whole idea is goofy as all hell. Dany flying off on her dragon was more believable than any of this.

That every fire corresponds to a food store is itself a leap.

Yes, with an army of thousands of men making a long march to lay siege to a heavily fortified castle, it makes the most sense for all of the food to be stored together for accounting, rationing, and protection. Precise control of food supplies would be vital for laying siege, and those supplies are most easily defended, accounted for, and rationed out when stored together. The problem, which was explicitly stated on the show, is that the guards were either asleep or not at their posts.

There's nothing absurd about people sucking at their jobs after experiencing weeks of nothing in absolutely miserable conditions. There's nothing ridiculous about 20 men, likely not even together as a group, sneaking out of a camp of thousands while everyone else is in a state of panic over the fires. The shirtless Ramsay scene was absurd and ridiculous, but that doesn't mean that everything he does from then on, even if it's improbable, is him performing something outside the realm of reason. 'Unlikely' is not 'impossible'.

Whatever, though. You want to see Snow Raidens, so enjoy your Snow Raidens.

Brakke

Banned
it seems GRRM just confirmed that the current NK is not the same as the previous NK of legend.

[tinfoil]Or he's a guy that likes lying to people and he actually just confirmed that Lann The Clever and Bran The Builder et al are still running around.[/tinfoil]

Guys, GRRM just made a post on his blog mainly answering a question about the show version of Targaryen lineage but also speaks briefly about "the Night's King" and Mace Tyrell:

So first, for people who don't understand why Face Tyrell is such an idiot it's because they've combined him with Harys Swyft. But, more importantly it seems GRRM just confirmed that the current NK is not the same as the previous NK of legend.
Could this be taken to suggest that there isn't going to be a Night's King in the books and that his presence on the show is a D&D decision?

Speevy

Banned
Not a mistake that Book Mace would make, but the character in the show combines Mace with Harys Swyft, and actually seems more like the latter

deZqZVi.gif

foxtrot3d

Banned
Could this be taken to suggest that there isn't going to be a Night's King in the books and that his presence on the show is a D&D decision?

I kind of doubt it, that'd be too serious a change from the books. After all, what we would be suggesting is that D&D just created an evil, ice white Walker leader all on their own who will very likely end up being the main antagonist of the series.

Brakke

Banned
Speevy did you ever heard of the edit button or nah.

More of a naming thing, really. In the books it's sort of unclear if the Night's King is actually an Other or not. In fact, he's a adult human by the time he skampers off North of the wall with some demon woman. I expect it's fair to assume that The Others have some kind of leader or hierarchy or something in the books, too. Just maybe not led by that specific dude.

Has the show even explicitly named that Darth Maul guy "Night's King"? Or is that just a handy shorthand everyone uses?

On a similar subject I've been re-reading AFFC/ADWD, and just got to the Stone Men encounter on the Royne. Someone recounts the legend of the Shrouded Lord (an honorific title for the leader of the Stone Men), that the first Shrouded Lord was originally a statue kissed to life by a mysterious woman with "lips cold as ice".

The mysterious lady that seduces the Night's King is also described as having had "lips cold as ice". I wonder if there was some primeval demon-lady running around fucking shit up Way Back In The Day.

Iksenpets

Banned
I kind of doubt it, that'd be too serious a change from the books. After all, what we would be suggesting is that D&D just created an evil, ice white Walker leader all on their own who will very likely end up being the main antagonist of the series.

I could see there never being an Other leader in the books, but D&D felt a face was needed for TV. But I could also see them taking whatever Great Other that exists in the book and renaming him the Night's King because it sounds cool.

RyanDG

If the Others are more of a force of nature than a force led by some being, I could honestly see HBO requesting some overarching villain to lead them to give them more of a direction. If the series isn't meant to have an overall 'main' antagonist (and even then I think the Others are going to turn out good in the end), I could see the decision process being done to introduce one to make it easier to format for television. Hell, just as a random example in popular media - Peter Jackson was really, really close to introducing Aragorn going one on one with the embodiment of Sauron at the Black Gate because he felt the need to have the battle have some epic confrontation between heroes. If that almost happened there, there's no reason why it couldn't possibly happen here.

With all that said, I don't believe that this is likely. I think the Night's King has some sort of role in the book, but I wouldn't be surprised if this leader type role is not what it ultimately is.

Partition

Banned
Are LSH people actually serious? Guys, gals, it ain't happening GRRM himself stated she was a cut character. And, why would D&D introduce her now? Jon will clearly be revived so having LSH appear this late in the game would cheapen his resurrection and death in general. LSH is gone, get over it and the show is better with her cut.

If they are ending with the stab as a cliffhanger, like what is believed, then LSH would be a nice reminder that ressurection exists in the show. Literally none of the casual show watchers remember Beric from 2 seasons ago.

LSH also gives Brienne something to do (and possibly Sansa as well) after this season.... because where are these plotlines going after Stannis and Ramsay/Boltons are dead.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Did that sweet dragon action happen in the books?

Speevy

Banned

There would be no Emmys for Dave and Dan. No one would stop them on the street and ask for their autographs. No one would ask them to adapt any more books.

Their cameras would turn on, and George R. R. Martin would scream.

But your favorite character would only do something ridiculous and die, the light going out of their eyes before they could find the right words.

mantidor

Ramsey is a skilled archer, so maybe his men are as well and showered the camp in fire arrows after scouting out the camp.

The fact people have to come up with explanations is what shows it was a terrible plot device. We have to assume and sometimes outright make up things to explain what happened. It's absurd.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
I feel like it was evil overkill having Trant be a paedo too. Like, did Arya really need another reason to kill him?

Only so much overkill as Joffrey taking Ros to target practice and Ramsey's quality alone time with Granny Candlestick.

Brakke

Banned
The fact people have to come up with explanations is what shows it was a terrible plot device. We have to assume and sometimes outright make up things to explain what happened. It's absurd.

People always complain how D&D aren't "subtle". People always complain when they elide stuff that doesn't matter. People always complain.

Y'all coming at this show in bad faith.

There would be no Emmys for Dave and Dan. No one would stop them on the street and ask for their autographs. No one would ask them to adapt any more books.

Their cameras would turn on, and George R. R. Martin would scream.

But your favorite character would only do something ridiculous and die, the light going out of their eyes before they could find the right words.

Nice.

Even if it was the same people complaining about both things, I'm not sure how it's in bad faith to criticise a lack of subtlety in one plot line while also criticising a weird omission of detail in another in a show with multiple plot lines and writers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom