• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 5 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jigorath

Banned
This been posted yet?

G4SlP0d.jpg

Brakke

Banned
Isn't Myrcella meant to die in that prophecy? Myrcella being a queen is something Cercei would be ok with.

I always figured Cersei would outlive her kids.

We can't really talk about certain meaning with regard to prophecies though, given GRR's propensity to be precious with how they play out.

The whole rebellion thing for Dorne is rather stupid imo.

Oberyn chose to be Tyrion's champion. He died in the trial by combat. Ellaria is just being a stupid cunt.

I think Doran understands this.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I honestly don't think Stannis will burn Shireen in the book.

It's completely out of character for him.

I also don't believe D&D that Martin told them Stannis actually does this.

Once Stannis makes a decision, he never changes his mind. It's why he's a strong commander. And it's his weakness, but he's defined by his will-the only way is forward. Melisandre gives him a opportunity for the lord of light to set him free. It's a scene that asks what if you're wrong? You're gonna do this terrible thing for a higher calling, what if you're not right? It comes down to ambition, and familial love. Stannis choses ambition. When George first told us this, I looked at Dan and said it was horrible. And good in the story sense. Cause in the beginning they were burning people alive on the beaches of Dragon Stone, and it comes down to this. We've been talking about king's blood, and it comes down to Shireen's sacrifice.

Stannis is SO Lawful Neutral it's ridiculous. All actions have abided by this. Even the fratricide against Renly was lawful since he was a usurper of The One True King (also the book is more ambigious of Stannis' involvement in his brothers death). I haven't been reading TWOW released chapters, Stannis isn't even near Shireen at the end of ADWD and he even made a deal with the Iron Banks of Braavos to support his daughter in the case of his death. He would not kill her.

The show is a prime character assination of Stannis' character.

This been posted yet?

G4SlP0d.jpg

The best part is that it's not even correct (though it's still funny). Fewer is only used in cases where you are referencing a specific count of something. So you could say that something took 5 weeks fewer than you expected (since you are counting 5 individual weeks as your unit of measurement). But if you say "fewer than three weeks," you are not referencing the individual weeks, you are referencing the block of time that is less than 3 weeks total. So in that case using "less" is actually appropriate, since you are referencing a general period of time, and not a specific count of weeks (which are a countable unit).

Sorry for being a Stannis there myself, lol. :)

I honestly don't think Stannis will burn Shireen in the book.

It's completely out of character for him.

I also don't believe D&D that Martin told them Stannis actually does this.

Stannis is SO Lawful Neutral it's ridiculous. All actions have abided by this. Even the fratricide against Renly was lawful since he was a usurper of The One True King (also the book is more ambigious of Stannis' involvement in his brothers death). I haven't been reading TWOW released chapters, Stannis isn't even near Shireen at the end of ADWD and he even made a deal with the Iron Banks of Braavos to support his daughter in the case of his death. He would not kill her.

The show is a prime character assination of Stannis' character.

D&D also seem to think Stannis has chosen ambition, which is not what he is like at all. He is seeking power for 2 reasons:

1) It's his by right
2) He is possibly convinced he is the only one who can stop the coming of the long night (this is more prominent in the show, but hasn't been for a few seasons, really).

Stannis is the least ambitious man in the 7 Kingdoms. His only ambition is to fit into the place of the machine where he is assigned.

D&D also seem to think Stannis has chosen ambition, which is not what he is like at all. He is seeking power for 2 reasons:

1) It's his by right
2) He is possibly convinced he is the only one who can stop the coming of the long night (this is more prominent in the show, but hasn't been for a few seasons, really).

Stannis is the least ambitious man in the 7 Kingdoms. His only ambition is to fit into the place of the machine where he is assigned.
I don't think ambition is the right word, but there is a pretty crazy level of ego on Stannis that he's seemingly convinced that if he doesn't triumph they are all doomed. He believes he's the only one that can lead people against the threats that face the realm.

Kuraudo

Banned
The best part is that it's not even correct (though it's still funny). Fewer is only used in cases where you are referencing a specific count of something. So you could say that something took 5 weeks fewer than you expected (since you are counting 5 individual weeks as your unit of measurement). But if you say "fewer than three weeks," you are not referencing the individual weeks, you are referencing the block of time that is less than 3 weeks total. So in that case using "less" is actually appropriate, since you are referencing a general period of time, and not a specific count of weeks (which are a countable unit).

I was just about to post this. Thank you, fellow pedant :)

Iksenpets

Banned
I don't think ambition is the right word, but there is a pretty crazy level of ego on Stannis that he's seemingly convinced that if he doesn't triumph they are all doomed. He believes he's the only one that can lead people against the threats that face the realm.

Stannis is weird because there is a real drive and ego to him. He has a nasty case of middle-brother syndrome, and is really desperate for his chance to be on top. He maybe doesn't want power per se, but he wants to be king just as self validation.

At the same time, he really is a genuine believer in his lawful-neutral ethos. I think it may even have been a way for him to cope with his awkward middle brother status. The law is the law so I have to put up with Robert and his bullshit, no matter what.

Those two sides of him are always in conflict, but I think Davos gives him a way to unify them a bit with the whole "save the kingdom to be the king" thing. That seemed to give him some level of belief that holding to his ethos would eventually lead to people giving him the recognition he craved, so long as he pushed for the greater good.

That's always been my reading of him. That said, if his arc really does end up with him sacrificing Shireen, then that all falls apart. Either I've really misread the character, or some serious shit goes down to break him down and have him way more desperate for validation of his ~destiny~ than he ever has been before, and at a point where he just no longer cares what his followers think of him. Or this scene is just inaccurate to how it'll happen in the book, as there's been plenty of speculation about.

Brakke

Banned

this guy knows 😎

Stannis is weird because there is a real drive and ego to him. He has a nasty case of middle-brother syndrome, and is really desperate for his chance to be on top. He maybe doesn't want power per se, but he wants to be king just as self validation.

At the same time, he really is a genuine believer in his lawful-neutral ethos. I think it may even have been a way for him to cope with his awkward middle brother status. The law is the law so I have to put up with Robert and his bullshit, no matter what.

Those two sides of him are always in conflict, but I think Davos gives him a way to unify them a bit with the whole "save the kingdom to be the king" thing. That seemed to give him some level of belief that holding to his ethos would eventually lead to people giving him the recognition he craved, so long as he pushed for the greater good.

That's always been my reading of him. That said, if his arc really does end up with him sacrificing Shireen, then that all falls apart. Either I've really misread the character, or some serious shit goes down to break him down and have him way more desperate for validation of his ~destiny~ than he ever has been before, and at a point where he just no longer cares what his followers think of him. Or this scene is just inaccurate to how it'll happen in the book, as there's been plenty of speculation about.

I'm thinking at this point (at least in the show, the books may end up being different), that side of Stannis, the ego/ambition/validation wins out in an absolute sense.

My thoughts on Stannis' arc have changed for the show. I think he's been widely regarded as a doomed character, but after Sunday's episode I don't quite think that anymore. I couple things from the end of season 2 stick out to me, the first being Stannis and Melisandre's conversation after Blackwater when she tells him that he will betray his family and everything once believed, but it will all be worth it. The second thing is Dany's vision of the destroyed throne room covered in snow. I can see a somewhat parallel arc in Dany and Stannis in which they achieve their goals, but it isn't worth what it has cost them and therefore won't remain a lasting victory.

It's also possible that he does it because he believes it is necessary to win him the throne and stop the coming evil, and that he is not simply rationalizing it. That's less likely in the books, of course, where we know he doesn't really indulge too much into prophecies.

I also think that if Shireen does burn in the books, it will be Selyse and Melisendre that do it.

Euron

So do people think the Boltons will be killed off in the season finale or not? I'm getting really tired of Ramsay winning literally everything with no consequences.

Iksenpets

Banned
I'm thinking at this point (at least in the show, the books may end up being different), that side of Stannis, the ego/ambition/validation wins out in an absolute sense.

My thoughts on Stannis' arc have changed for the show. I think he's been widely regarded as a doomed character, but after Sunday's episode I don't quite think that anymore. I couple things from the end of season 2 stick out to me, the first being Stannis and Melisandre's conversation after Blackwater when she tells him that he will betray his family and everything once believed, but it will all be worth it. The second thing is Dany's vision of the destroyed throne room covered in snow. I can see a somewhat parallel arc in Dany and Stannis in which they achieve their goals, but it isn't worth what it has cost them and therefore won't remain a lasting victory.

I was actually just thinking that if the book plot is going to have Stannis eventually break and sacrifice Shireen, Dany would be a good mechanism to do it. Stannis finally wins, only to then see his new kingdom wrecked by dragons out of nowhere, his army destroyed, his bannermen abandoning him for Dany. That's the sort of thing that I could see pushing him to snap. Also, in the books Dany has a vision of Stannis in the House of the Undying, and that's always had me convinced that he lives long enough to face off with her, and that he's probably doomed in that encounter.

But yeah, I think D&D are interested in Stannis telling a fundamentally different story from what GRRM is doing in the books. They've always leaned way, way harder on his seduction into fanaticism than the books ever did, and this seems to be a continuation of that, with the other aspects of the character taking a more background role.

Speevy

Banned
So do people think the Boltons will be killed off in the season finale or not? I'm getting really tired of Ramsay winning literally everything with no consequences.

Narratively, any other character pushing Stannis to the breaking point would cause them to lose.

But we're talking about Ramsay and his 20 good men, plus dogs.

It's really obvious to me that GRRM told D&D that Ramsay dies in a fairly specific manner, but because they need to give Iwan Rheon x amount of screentime to keep him on the show they're basically just inventing shit for him to do until then.

hoos30

1) It's his by right

He loaned Jon 50 ships. He absolutely believes that he is the only one that can save the world.

Purkake4

Banned
Got some light reading to do before the finale:

I'm actually kind of impressed with this book, it reminds me of a D&D manual with all the artwork.
It's nice, but it does get a bit annoying when you know that a lot of it is straight fanfiction. The artwork is amazing though.

The Lovecraft references are kind of interesting as well.

Blatz

Ehhh, I'm wary of buying this after finding out about Linda this past weekend.

What about her?

She really is off the rails in their video reviews. She should consider quitting the show as she can't accept that the show and books are destined to be different.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom