• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 5 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zabka

It's also possible that he does it because he believes it is necessary to win him the throne and stop the coming evil, and that he is not simply rationalizing it. That's less likely in the books, of course, where we know he doesn't really indulge too much into prophecies.

I also think that if Shireen does burn in the books, it will be Selyse and Melisendre that do it.

It's more than just Melisandre's prophecies in the show. Stannis himself has seen the vision of the battle in the snow. He believes the safety of the kingdom is his responsibility.

This scene between him and Davos regarding the sacrifice of Gendry is a nice parallel to the current events: https://youtu.be/g7IQcQlHjVM?t=164

What about Linda?

She's incredibly toxic and vile. I just watched her and Elio's video on the bonus materials for the last episode where D&D mentioned they got the idea of burning Shireen from George.

It's kinda sad too cause Elio actually seems like a genuinely nice guy, and understands that the show and books are different, but Linda is just awful.

bengraven

What the fuck has SHE been up to lately?

X0566uC.png

Got some light reading to do before the finale:

I'm actually kind of impressed with this book, it reminds me of a D&D manual with all the artwork.

Funny you mention that, because it's made by the same people who make the Ice and Fire RPG guidebooks.

Jarnet87

i have a bad habit of going ahead when I get interested in something so I've looked into a lot of info about the books when I started watching the show this spring. I do think Jon will be attacked but a) olly will be the one to do it b) or olly will end up doing the right thing and ultimately losing his life to protect Jon. They sure have shown Olly a lot talking with Jon or Sam in scenes about morality and what is right.

Kaladin

I want to know what Bran has been up to this season.....tell me we get something with him in the last episode.

I don't want to wait another year to find out.

Lothar

Banned
She's incredibly toxic and vile. I just watched her and Elio's video on the bonus materials for the last episode where D&D mentioned they got the idea of burning Shireen from George.

It's kinda sad too cause Elio actually seems like a genuinely nice guy, and understands that the show and books are different, but Linda is just awful.

Linda seems alright on some of the reviews I watched this season. She had some well reasoned takes on certain things like the Sansa storyline. I haven't watched this week though. The worst I can say about her is she seems really emotional and passionate about the books. Maybe I've just missed the truly horrible stuff she said.

NeoGiff

Dat cleavage... I thought it was cold in the North

It's ok, she has a scarf.

Linda seems alright on some of the reviews I watched this season. She had some well reasoned takes on certain things like the Sansa storyline. I haven't watched this week though. The worst I can say about her is she seems really emotional and passionate about the books. Maybe I've just missed the truly horrible stuff she said.

Oh boy, you're in for an education.

I want to know what Bran has been up to this season.....tell me we get something with him in the last episode.

I don't want to wait another year to find out.

Nothing this year. It's confirmed he wont' be in this season. Frankly, there is PLENTY for them to cover in the last episode than reminding people on why Bran became one of the Na'Vi

I'm hoping for some legit shockers in the finale.

She got really disgusting on Twitter, honestly. She's not as bad in the reviews, but she still comes off as really condescending at times, and the way she brushes off the phrasing and her reactions on Twitter in that latest video is gross too.

bengraven

Also I just realized Myranda should just be cast in all the remakes that Fairuza Balk was in.

Worst Witch? Go for it.

The Craft? Go for it.

Um...other things...?

She got really disgusting on Twitter, honestly. She's not as bad in the reviews, but she still comes off as really condescending at times, and the way she brushes off the phrasing and her reactions on Twitter in that latest video is gross too.

She comes off really strong as "I have George Martin's attention and YOU don't". Very smug about it. She acts entitled.

Linda and many other purists just continue to not acknowledge the fact that a TV show can't be as comprehensive as a 900 page book. While I agree the show fails in large part due to treating viewers like idiots, I wouldn't advocate them following the book feverishly. It would not work, period. Ultimately they'd be happier if they just stopped comparing the two mediums. I can understand complaining about certain things, like the whitewashing of certain characters, but overall show characters aren't book characters.

My complaints about Stannis burning Shireen don't revolve around "book Stannis would never do that." Show Stannis probably wouldn't do it either, which is why the writers contrived that idiotic Ramsay attack. That's the type of stuff that annoys me, not "but the book did x."

NeoGiff

Between Myranda's arse and Tyene's tits, I think we've had a pretty solid season. Oh, and there was that Hardhome thing. That was alright too, I guess.

Lothar

Banned
Linda and many other purists just continue to not acknowledge the fact that a TV show can't be as comprehensive as a 900 page book. While I agree the show fails in large part due to treating viewers like idiots, I wouldn't advocate them following the book feverishly. It would not work, period. Ultimately they'd be happier if they just stopped comparing the two mediums. I can understand complaining about certain things, like the whitewashing of certain characters, but overall show characters aren't book characters.

My complaints about Stannis burning Shireen don't revolve around "book Stannis would never do that." Show Stannis probably wouldn't do it either, which is why the writers contrived that idiotic Ramsay attack. That's the type of stuff that annoys me, not "but the book did x."

I'm watching this video right now, I don't know if I'll make it all the way through, but so far they seem to be in support of it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zf76-r672kI&feature=youtu.be They're saying book Stannis would do that.

They also defended Sansa being raped, thought it was an acceptable change, believe it was handled well, and believe she acted in a way true to her book character. Despite almost everyone online hating that.

Massa

I honestly don't think Stannis will burn Shireen in the book.

It's completely out of character for him.

I also don't believe D&D that Martin told them Stannis actually does this.

Stannis is SO Lawful Neutral it's ridiculous. All actions have abided by this. Even the fratricide against Renly was lawful since he was a usurper of The One True King (also the book is more ambigious of Stannis' involvement in his brothers death). I haven't been reading TWOW released chapters, Stannis isn't even near Shireen at the end of ADWD and he even made a deal with the Iron Banks of Braavos to support his daughter in the case of his death. He would not kill her.

The show is a prime character assination of Stannis' character.

Stannis didn't just kill Renly, he murdered the Storm's End castellan (who wanted to have an honest duel iirc) and he also presented the argument that would defend the burning of Shireen when talking about Edric Storm.

We all want him to be the man Davos thinks he is, but Melisandre has obviously been corrupting him, and each time he fails she gets inside his head more. That's what D&D meant when they said his arc was always leading up to this from their introduction in the show - she manipulates him more and more and when he's a completely broken men she gets all the way through. Of course episode 9 failed to convince us he was broken but it was obvious that was the intention.

He's not a religious person, he doesn't believe the red god, but he believes in her magic and he definitely really wants to sit the throne. That's his entire purpose for going north. To save the realm is what everyone gets from the cart-before-horse quote, but what it really says is that he's doing all this shit because he wants the throne.

Zabka

Stannis didn't just kill Renly, he murdered the Storm's End castellan (who wanted to have an honest duel iirc) and he also presented the argument that would defend the burning of Shireen when talking about Edric Storm.

We all want him to be the man Davos thinks he is, but Melisandre has obviously been corrupting him, and each time he fails she gets inside his head more. That's what D&D meant when they said his arc was always leading up to this from their introduction in the show - she manipulates him more and more and when he's a completely broken men she gets all the way through. Of course episode 9 failed to convince us he was broken but it was obvious that was the intention.

He's not a religious person, he doesn't believe the red god, but he believes in her magic and he definitely really wants to sit the throne. That's his entire purpose for going north. To save the realm is what everyone gets from the cart-before-horse quote, but what it really says is that he's doing all this shit because he wants the throne.
He believes the Red God is real because her magic is real. He says it himself in the clip I posted earlier. https://youtu.be/g7IQcQlHjVM?t=357

Brakke

Banned
myranda 2 hot 2 b cold. like mel.

Like. I'm sympathetic to the claim that Linda isn't very pleasant. This level of documentation is kind of weird though. Who keeps enough links around to put such a thing together? Or else who goes digging on this... Kinda stalker-esque either way.

Serious question.

Who is this "linda" lady and why does she get so much attention?

The post in that link from 'Giff motivates why she matters. She's worked as a fact-checker on the series, and she worked on A World of Ice and Fire.

Ros8105

So they can't end the next episode with Jon dying right? They have to show more. If Kit Harington shows up during next season's filming that shit will leak out anyway.

Unless Jon is actually dead for realz.

Corpsepyre

Banned
So they can't end the next episode with Jon dying right? They have to show more. If Kit Harington shows up during next season's filming that shit will leak out anyway.

It MUST end with that. Dany and Jhaqo should be before that.

Serious question.

Who is this "linda" lady and why does she get so much attention?

She's like the Game of Thrones equivalent of the Westboro Baptist Church.

The resurrection wouldn't have as much impact if it was left to next season I feel.

CloudWolf

So what do you'll think the chances of Brienne killing Stannis next episode is?

Well, if D&D are going to continue with the obvious parallels between Stannis and Greek mythology, it isn't going to be Brienne who does Stannis in.

(Possible spoilers)
In Iphigenia in Aulis the Mycenean king Agamemnon was unable to leave for Troy because the gods plagued his troops with storms that were impossible to navigate. To solve this, he sacrificed (burned) his daughter (or at least, everyone thought so, Artemis saved her in the last minute). During the war Agamemnon captured the prophetess/priestess Cassandra and took her as concubine. When he returned to Greece, Agamemnon and Cassandra were murdered by Clytemnestra, his wife, as vengeance for the murder of her daughter.

The parallels with Stannis' show story are obvious. Stannis has a priestess who's also kind of his concubine and he sacrificed his daughter to be able to go to war. So what's left is Stannis winning the battle for Winterfell and Selyse killing both Stannis and Melisandre directly afterwards. I honestly think the chances of this happening are pretty big, especially since D&D made Selyse reconsider burning Shireen at the final minute with Stannis stopping her and thus causing a reason for Selyse to resent Stannis and Melisandre.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom