• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 5 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm always surprised at the amount of people that don't get that nine times out of ten a tv show, and a MOVIE at that, cannot possibly replicate the book and keep its quality. It will never be as good as the book except for that very few that do.

If you keep complaining about it it won't make Hollywood say "boy you're right, maybe we should stop"

Speevy

Banned
I can actually put myself inside the mind of a person who loves the books because the show is downright stupid at times, but I am also capable of being incredibly entertained by the show and all of its fantastic locations and characters.

If someone as dim-witted as I am can take both perspectives, surely a woman who has this encyclopedic knowledge of all things fantasy can.

foxtrot3d

Banned
I can actually put myself inside the mind of a person who loves the books because the show is downright stupid at times, but I am also capable of being incredibly entertained by the show and all of its fantastic locations and characters.

If someone as dim-witted as I am can take both perspectives, surely a woman who has this encyclopedic knowledge of all things fantasy can.

Never underestimate the stupidity of people.

I could see them doing the stabbing as second last scene, end on something "uplifting-ish" quickly like Dany, fade to black, people still pissed. After five seconds come back to Jon's resurrection or at least warging into Ghost.

Never underestimate the stupidity of people.
QS5jOuo.gif

bengraven

I love a great adaptation actually. Seeing the changes they make to change the flow of the story to fit a certain time or new perspectives on characters etc.

The show has been fine in that regards. I wouldn't add anything missing with the exception of maybe the Greyjoys. If I had to replace the parts that have sucked I would have just added more with the characters we do have.

Massa

He believes the Red God is real because her magic is real. He says it himself in the clip I posted earlier. https://youtu.be/g7IQcQlHjVM?t=357

He says it in that clip, he never really believed it. After Blackwater he reached a low point in the series, burned a lot of people, saw no one but Melisandre. He was going full on with the religious nuttery at that point, and it's not until Davos shows up that he begins to bounce back. I saw that dialog as Stannis questioning himself just as much as Davos.

In ADWD he's away from Melisandre and he's pretty far from the religious stuff, with "I will have no burnings. Pray harder" and all.

Potential breaking point in books could be him brilliantly out maneuvering both the Boltons (battle of winterfell) and Freys (battle of ice), and then the great northern conspiracy takes roots and they basically say "thanks! But no... But thanks again bro."

Dejected, freezing, without hope and thinking he is the worlds only chance, he turns to burning?

Ok, here are the current standings. I may have missed a ton of posts, so if you aren't on the list make sure you include either "#teamOllyKills" or "#teamOllySaves" in your post so I can count it.

STAND AND BE COUNTED

#teamOllyKills
m_shortpants
PfantzyPantz
Fuzzy
Jacob
Euron Crow's Eye
Atraveller
LordCanti
Violet_0

#teamOllySaves
munchie64
phaonaut

THE STAKES

O2p0kzy.png

carlsojo

I don't really get the hate for Olly... he's had like four lines this season. His parents were killed by the people Jon just saved so it's not like his motivations aren't coming from nowhere. He's never seen the undead and he has no idea what the Watch is actually up against.

I don't really get the hate for Olly... he's had like four lines this season. His parents were killed by the people Jon just saved so it's not like his motivations aren't coming from nowhere. He's never seen the undead and he has no idea what the Watch is actually up against.

When Batman's parents were killed he turned into Batman and like fights crime and shit

He didn't stab Gordon

He just comes off as a cunt tbh

Speevy

Banned
Jon should have had the Hyman Roth/Mo Green speech with Olly.

"There was this girl. I loved her very much. She wasn't like the other wildlings. She was just following orders. You would have liked her. She dreamed of being free. She dreamed of having a better life for her people. But no one will ever sing a song about her. The histories won't mention her name. I loved her. And someone put an arrow through her back. I didn't get mad because I knew she was a wildling. This is the life we've chosen, Olly. You take care now."

*cold stare*

foxtrot3d

Banned
Jon should have had the Hyman Roth/Mo Green speech with Olly.

"There was this girl. I loved her very much. She wasn't like the other wildlings. She was just following orders. You would have liked her. She dreamed of being free. She dreamed of having a better life for her people. But no one will ever sing a song about her. The histories won't mention her name. I loved her. And someone put an arrow through her back. I didn't get mad because I knew she was a wildling. This is the life we've chosen, Olly. You take care now."

*cold stare*

"I didn't ASK who put an arrow in her back because THIS was the life we chose."

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Stannis didn't just kill Renly, he murdered the Storm's End castellan (who wanted to have an honest duel iirc) and he also presented the argument that would defend the burning of Shireen when talking about Edric Storm.

We all want him to be the man Davos thinks he is, but Melisandre has obviously been corrupting him, and each time he fails she gets inside his head more. That's what D&D meant when they said his arc was always leading up to this from their introduction in the show - she manipulates him more and more and when he's a completely broken men she gets all the way through. Of course episode 9 failed to convince us he was broken but it was obvious that was the intention.

He's not a religious person, he doesn't believe the red god, but he believes in her magic and he definitely really wants to sit the throne. That's his entire purpose for going north. To save the realm is what everyone gets from the cart-before-horse quote, but what it really says is that he's doing all this shit because he wants the throne.

We'll hopefully see what happens when TWOW releases. I'm thinking Stannis doesn't do it.

It's not hate for Olly per se (though he is being a little shit) but more the heavy handed telegraphing of him doing something by the constant focus on him and his little pissy rat face.

Speevy

Banned
Roose is all like "The tide has turned, Ramsay. Our entire host has been destroyed. Stannis is invincible."

"Just give me 5 good men."

*flayed Stannis hanging in the barn*

Speevy

Banned
By the way how did we go from confirming Gemma Whelan is in this season to feeling like we've taken crazy pills? Did they cut her scenes?

Iksenpets

Banned
By the way how did we go from confirming Gemma Whelan is in this season to feeling like we've taken crazy pills? Did they cut her scenes?

I bet you it's an episode 10 scene where she just sails up on Pyke and witnesses Balon's death. The show ironborn plot is the most weirdly paced thing.

Iksenpets

Banned
"There are dogs everywhere on the mainland. But the dogs cannot hurt him now."

Yara walks up to Balon, who is standing on a bridge. "Hi, dad!" she says. Suddenly, out from the water leaps a ferocious hound, tackling her father off the bridge. Oh noooooooooo.

Cut to Ramsay, on a beach. Out from the water comes trotting the same dog. "Good boy," Ramsay says. "Good boy." ROLL CREDITS.

Joni

The Tolkien family looks at Academy Award-winning trilogy The Lord of the Rings and can conclude it is proof there should be no further films because they aren't good. People that are fanatic about something, are fanatic. She doesn't 'love' the books, she 'lives' them. Like if your hobby was also your job and the best guy in that hobby took you on as some sort of apprentice. That is the position she is in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom