• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 5 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tread lightly...
1) Please don't post any leaked images or discuss content from the leaks. Doesn't matter if you use spoiler tags or not.
2) Don't talk about where to acquire said leaks. There are plenty of other places on the internet to chat about this sort of thing.
3) Don't beg for PMs regarding leaked material.

The finale is on Sunday night and E3 is next week. This is a very bad time to take a ban.
Regarding the precap, if you want to discuss under tags, it isn't a huge deal, but please don't link to leaked material. The quote above is referring to actual leak of the episode content. We have less than 24hrs to go, be smart about what you post. Thanks.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Precap:
If Benjen is really in, D&D's "no major spoilers" claim was the biggest lie, lol.

The fact that something happens on the show doesn't mean it happens in the book or is a spoiler. The character in question is a great example of something the show might change to make it simpler.

Monocle

My oysters, clams, and cockles are ready.

I was disappointed that last week's episode didn't have any Cersei scenes. Tonight ought to make up for that.

NateDrake

I'm polishing my Needle in preparation for tomorrow.

Everyone beware. Duckroll is ready

6DbXqrB.gif

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Thanks for clarifying re: the precap, Cornballer. I was terrified to speak of it and looked for an update from you before doing so. Haha.

Benjen, oh my god. This could go a few ways. He's back or he isn't. He's being seeded now for an "R+L=J" confirmation from someone whose words would hold profound series-spanning weight on the matter later on, perhaps. His horse is in the recap to reacquaint viewers with the concept of "warging" in time for FTW, perhaps. It's a red herring the likes of which they've never before achieved, perhaps. So many questions. Best. Spoiler. Ever.

Kusagari

I feel like most of the show watchers will still have no idea who the hell
Benjen is. Even with the recap. Most of the people I talk to the show about didn't even remember Trant.

I feel like most of the show watchers will still have no idea who the hell
Benjen is. Even with the recap. Most of the people I talk to the show about didn't even remember Trant.

They don't. My girlfriend is show-watcher only and she had no idea who he was. I had to explain it to her lol

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
I leave and don't pay attention to the topic for a day, and I come back to black baaaaars.

Ok, I can't figure out any plausible way to have that bit of flashback in the precap for episode 10. I just hope that Horse Benjen didn't go off with Stannis to war. They ate those horses.

Wonder if it's in there to really make the TV watchers really go nuts when FTW happens. They'll be expecting something with Benjen to happen all episode, then curtains.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
On the topic of characters show-only viewers frequently forget, I've had to remind at least six people IRL who Beric Dondarrion was this year alone. And it gets worse!

"I'm just kind of surprised you'd forget a dude from S3 who revived multiple times!"
"Uh... doesn't ring a bell at all!"
"Remember when he fought The Hound?"
"Uh..."
"There was a flaming sword! It scared The Hound."
"It... sc... oh yeah, him."

On the topic of characters show-only viewers frequently forget, I've had to remind at least six people IRL who Beric Dondarrion was this year alone. And it gets worse!

"I'm just kind of surprised you'd forget a dude from S3 who revived multiple times!"
"Uh... doesn't ring a bell at all!"
"Remember when he fought The Hound?"
"Uh..."
"There was a flaming sword! It scared The Hound."
"It... sc... oh yeah, him."

It is really a surprise? That's a minor event from three years ago and most people don't rewatch the series multiple times.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
It is really a surprise? That's a minor event from three years ago and most people don't rewatch the series multiple times.

I dunno, it's a bit of a surprise to me. It surprises me more than some of the other characters cited in this topic, that's for sure. And it was only two years ago, but... semantics, mostly. :p

I dunno, it's a bit of a surprise to me. It surprises me more than some of the other characters cited in this topic, that's for sure. And it was only two years ago, but... semantics, mostly. :p

This thread is full of dedicated fans who talk and read about the series regularly. Ask someone who casually read the books years ago and they won't remember every minor character or event either.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
This thread is full of dedicated fans who talk and read about the series regularly. Ask someone who casually read the books years ago and they won't remember every minor character or event either.

I totally understand that.

Perhaps I'm unusual in that I consider Beric a show character who ought to stick more freshly in viewers' minds, but I do enjoy gauging these metrics. I typically host viewing parties of 15-25 people per week and ~80% of them haven't touched the books and don't rewatch episodes, so it's good fun hearing what people have to say. Beric Dondarrion, to me, is someone I'd anticipate clicking with people more thoroughly, given his death-defying revelation.

Because he's an ungrateful little shit.

It just seems so petty and small... what he hates wildlings and so by proxy hates Jon because he consorts with them?

He's a kid who doesn't understand what Jon is trying to do

Yeah, but going through the episodes he gives aside glances and menacing glares like he's Tywin Lannister reborn. He should learn to... LET IT GOOO!

Far be it for me to go total devil's advocate with Olly of all characters, but I can appreciate his inability to embrace the future that Jon has foreseen when his whole life was brutally slaughtered by a group of people whose de facto leader was present and bellowing when it happened.

True, I suppose it would be bit like Jon trying to convince Batman that Joe Chill and Gotham's mobsters are real swell dudes once you get to know them

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Far be it for me to go total devil's advocate with Olly of all characters, but I can appreciate his inability to embrace the future that Jon has foreseen when his whole life was brutally slaughtered by a group of people whose de facto leader was present and bellowing when it happened.

I can't understand why not a lot of people understand that. Look Jon is my favorite character and this little shits going to kill him so I'm not being on his side to be on his side. It's quite understandable why he would be pissed off at Jon, especially if he has Alliser and the rest of the Watch in his ear pushing him.

I can't understand why not a lot of people understand that. Look Jon is my favorite character and this little shits going to kill him so I'm not being on his side to be on his side. It's quite understandable why he would be pissed off at Jon, especially if he has Alliser and the rest of the Watch in his ear pushing him.

I think it is more that is dealt with in a heavy handed manner. Sure John is giong to feel for him over it, but he is has got so much more on his mind and many people around him who have suffered tragedy. The show makes it seem like Olly is the third thing on his mind. It is very heavy handed.

why are you all saying "kill"? we have yet to know he's dead.

fuck olly though, i was convinced for the whole season that he's the writer's son or some shit because the camera constantly cut to his face during night's watch scenes lol.

makes more sense that they were just building up "Et tu, Olly?"

JeffZero

Purple Drazi

Heh, yeah.

Jon's my favorite too. :)

munchie64

Screw you guys. Olly is the best. He's the last thing that will stand between Jon and certain death.

He's the hero we deserve.
And also the one we need right now.

#teamollysaves
#idontwanttolose

Turin

Banned
Olly's fine in concept, the problem is he's a grumpy faced cartoon character on screen. I can't imagine there's much going on in his head other than....

"What?"

"Asshole."

"I want to stab him."

"I think I might stab him."

"I'm definitely gonna stab him."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom