• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 5 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forkball

Precap:
Honestly, I don't think Benjen is in it at all. I'm sure that would have been leaked at some point. He will probably be mentioned, but we won't see him pop up. I do think that Trant is going to reveal that he never killed Syrio IT'S GOING TO HAPPEN. We might not see the actor, but we could see his face in the hall of faces.

XAL

Precap:
Honestly, I don't think Benjen is in it at all. I'm sure that would have been leaked at some point. He will probably be mentioned, but we won't see him pop up. I do think that Trant is going to reveal that he never killed Syrio IT'S GOING TO HAPPEN. We might not see the actor, but we could see his face in the hall of faces.

:\

Pretty sure if any interaction happens he will confirm he killed Syrio in detail to taunt Arya.

Heh, am I the only one who wants Syrio to remain dead? Not everyone needs to be a faceless man or be brought back.

I want Jaquen to switch into Ned Stark's face just to screw with Arya and give the show watchers a heart attack...

Also, did the following line of dialogue ever happen:

Ygritte: You know nothing Jon Snow.
Jon: I may not know much... but I know what love is.

Where is that from? It's been in my head for a while.

I hope we get a good long shot of Olly's face when the White Walkers breach the wall with an "I've made a huge mistake" expression, before he's impaled on an ice spear and tossed into a fire.

Zabka

If they didn't set up Olly being deeply upset with Jon this thread would be filled with people saying "Yeah I understand why he stabbed Jon but they didn't earn it. There wasn't enough set up for his betrayal!" after he presumably stabs him in the next episode.

Forrest Gump?

HAHAHAHA! You're right. Jon's is more Forest Grump though

There's no narrative reason to keep him alive that I can see. It'd be a pretty dumb twist. But people have been speculating about him being alive since the late 90s.

Just seal the deal, have Arya reveal her identity to Trant who in turn would brag about fucking Syrio's corpse or something equally ridiculous and then Arya kills him

Heh, am I the only one who wants Syrio to remain dead? Not everyone needs to be a faceless man or be brought back.

There's no narrative reason to keep him alive that I can see. It'd be a pretty dumb twist. But people have been speculating about him being alive since the 90s.

If they didn't set up Olly being deeply upset with Jon this thread would be filled with people saying "Yeah I understand why he stabbed Jon but they didn't earn it. There wasn't enough set up for his betrayal!" after he presumably stabs him in the next episode.
The show just needed to make Jon into more of an idiot like book Jon. Have him change character rapidly based off a sketchy letter and break his oaths.
That chapter was jarring and rushed as hell in the books. It felt like the plot forcing character actions.

If he says For the Watch it won't be earned anyway.

Werd

Previously on theory:
I'd be shocked if Benjen didn't appear in some form, you don't need 20 seconds of footage in the meticulously done recaps if you are just going to have expository discussion on him.

He will probably just show up at the end to assist in Jon's survival, but here are some book passages I think could be relevant.

Wights are monstrous, unnatural creatures. Abominations before the eyes of the gods. You … you cannot mean to try to talk with them?

Monsters they may be, but they were men before they died. How much remains? The one I slew was intent on killing Lord Commander Mormont. Plainly he remembered who he was and where to find him ... My lord father used to tell me that a man must know his enemies. We understand little of the wights and less about the Others. We need to learn.

A corrupted but conscious Benjen could appear at the gates, Alliser & co. would want to put him down, and Jon going out to talk or allowing him through could be the tipping point for FTW. If he can drop R+L=J, first, all the better

Tabris

I kinda like Aliser, he's a stubborn asshole but there is nobility there too.

I don't think he will be the one to kill or join in.

Real Hero

Well surely that's a problem with Olly being the one doing it on his own if that's the case. It will be dumb if it's literally just Olly who stabs him. I don't think it will be though

hoos30

I think it is more that is dealt with in a heavy handed manner. Sure John is giong to feel for him over it, but he is has got so much more on his mind and many people around him who have suffered tragedy. The show makes it seem like Olly is the third thing on his mind. It is very heavy handed.
Boiled leather made this point this week. It is only "heavy handed" because we as book readers" know what is going to happen. The unsullied have been provided appropriate clues so when it happens, it doesn't seem out of nowhere.

Turin

Banned
I kinda like Aliser, he's a stubborn asshole but there is nobility there too.

I don't think he will be the one to kill or join in.

Yeah, I don't think he'd risk his life for Jon but I'm kind of hoping we see Thorne try to get his brothers to stop.

I was kind of hoping they'd take a different path with the show but seeing the giant come back to castle black last episode made my heart sink :(

EDIT: uhhh those pre cap spoiler tags still make it pretty easy to figure out who you're talking about. Time to leave the thread till the episode airs :/

Tabris

It's too obvious Jon won't be dead, he's like the main character. It's just a case of the following:

1) He's just wounded, appears dead, but survives and is saved. Maybe Davos comes saves him. Maybe Olly as people have guessed?
2) Dies but is resurrected somehow. Melisandre most likely.
3) What would be a crazy twist - Dies and is revived by White Walkers and becomes the new bad guy.

And the other case would be whether we get to see 1 to 3 in the Finale or Season 6. He's going to get stabbed in finale, it's just whether they leave it as a cliffhanger like the books or not.

EDIT - I guess the show could change it up from the books on this but I doubt it.

f0rk

I don't see how Olly can't stab Jon, they've set him up as unhappy for the entire season. This show isn't subtle with it's 'foreshadowing' if you hadn't noticed.

It's too obvious Jon won't be dead, he's like the main character. It's just a case of the following:

1) He's just wounded, appears dead, but survives and is saved. Maybe Davos comes saves him. Maybe Olly as people have guessed?
2) Dies but is resurrected somehow. Melisandre most likely.
3) What would be a crazy twist - Dies and is revived by White Walkers and becomes the new bad guy.

And the other case would be whether we get to see 1 to 3 in the Finale or Season 6. He's going to get stabbed in finale, it's just whether they leave it as a cliffhanger like the books or not.

EDIT - I guess the show could change it up from the books on this but I doubt it.

Almost everyone I've talked to thinks Melisandre will resurrect him, but I'm not really convinced. Even if she knows how, she's way down near winterfell anyway and iirc the resurrection needs to be done asap.

I'm hoping that he'll be saved or injured, but realistically I feel like at best he'll just end up warging into ghost.

His being a main character could save him though. I hope :(

Massa

I don't see how Olly can't stab Jon, they've set him up as unhappy for the entire season. This show isn't subtle with it's 'foreshadowing' if you hadn't noticed.

It can be subtle, for example the foreshadowing that Stannis would betray his family in season 2.

My prediction is that there will be no stabbing, the Night's Watch and wildlings will get together and paint art, led by Tormund:

CHduMiUWUAEEeu3.jpg:medium

Werd

Almost everyone I've talked to thinks Melisandre will resurrect him, but I'm not really convinced. Even if she knows how, she's way down near winterfell anyway and iirc the resurrection needs to be done asap.

I had been thinking that if Mel does resurrect him in the books, they could have a sympathetic Davos offer to bring his body to Winterfell for burial when he returns to Stannis. Davos could confront Stannis, leading Mel to need a new AA and take desparate measures. Still takes time, and the Watch burns their dead but eh just a thought.

What if they replace Jon's death with (previously-on spoiler)
him being exiled north of the wall, only to eventually meet up with Benjen/friendly Others? As I type this I realize it is impossible because Olly is destined to kill Jon.

HawkeyeIC

Stannis would have to die as well and she'd be trying to bring him back

- Kate Arthur @ Buzzfeed: There Is No “Game Of Thrones” Backlash: Season 5 has been its most-watched season.
But all of the discussion seems to have propelled the show, already HBO’s most popular series ever, to even greater heights. For Season 5, its gross audience — meaning, the average viewership for each episode when HBO adds up live viewers, replays, VOD, and streaming — is 18.7 million viewers. By the time all viewership for Game of Thrones is counted after Sunday’s finale, that number should be close to 20 million.

Game of Thrones’ ratings have grown in every season. The first ended with an average audience of 9.3 million, and last year it surpassed The Sopranos as HBO’s most-watched show ever. There are a lot of ways to watch Game of Thrones each week, but its Live + Same Day ratings on Sunday nights continue to be strong: June 7’s “The Dance of Dragons” drew 7.1 million viewers, and added more in its replays that night.

Whether Game of Thrones goes on for two more seasons or longer, it has probably reached its peak; to continue to grow in its sixth season would be unusual (though with HBO Now, the network’s new streaming service, it could happen). But we’re getting ahead of ourselves, because Season 5 isn’t over yet. And if what happens in the fifth book happens in the finale, well… All men must cry.

My father thought today is airing the eighth episode, when I told him it was the finale, he said "What? Barely anything happened this season!".

kswiston

Basically what I've been thinking since the beginning.
This train ain't stopping any time soon.

People got too hung up on that 5.4M first broadcast viewership for episode 7 and forgot that GOT seasons previously had a skip week during Memorial Day weekend.

I would imagine that HBO's new streaming service has also siphoned off some of their cable viewership.

Corpsepyre

Banned
Pfft, books are still much better.

No, they are not. Book 5 has its moments for sure and was quite the captivating read (atleast more than book 4, much more so), but going through book 4 was one of the toughest things imaginable. Season 5 > books 4 and 5 in many ways, though not all ofcourse.

i'd rather have this season than a whole book about Greyjoy politics

No, they are not. Book 5 has its moments for sure and was quite the captivating read (atleast more than book 4, much more so), but going through book 4 was one of the toughest things imaginable. Season 5 > books 4 and 5 in many ways, though not all ofcourse.
I simply don't agree. To me this season has only one good episode, lots of horrible episodes, even the ok ones were sprinkled with bad stuff.

Massa

Pfft, books are still much better.

They obviously are, but book 4 came out 10 years ago. To think that people started reading the story for this season 10 years ago and the show's already past it might help your dad's perspective of it being a slow season.

Alternatively he may not have actually watched episodes 8 and 9.

Sean C

Reading an Alayne chapter now.

"This morning her eye was caught by a parti-colored gown of Tully red and blue". Sansa isn't a Stark. Which always is *fine*. It's not that Sansa is detestable, it's that she's not aspirational. In the books for sure she's not worthy of the Stark name, and she really isn't in the show either.
Sansa is a Stark, and she is "worthy of the name" (whatever that means) -- indeed, much of her arc is about gaining greater appreciation for her roots. I'm not sure how her feeling a connection with her mother's family too is somehow a sign that she isn't a Stark -- as Arya angrily declared in her first chapter, "the woman is important too".

Dany

Banned
Watching the finale with several non book readers.

They have been upset hearing me complain about shit throughout this season. "ITS NOT THE SAME, THE CONTEXT IS DIFFERENT. MANNIS WOULD NEVER DO THAT."

They have been placing jon higher and higher. They all love him. can't wait to see the tears

Corpekata

Banned
Dunno if just ratings is a way to determine backlash. Dexter was still climbing in it's worst seasons too and I don't think even big fans of that show would argue there wasn't a huge backlash against that series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom