• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 5 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dunno if just ratings is a way to determine backlash. Dexter was still climbing in it's worst seasons too and I don't think even big fans of that show would argue there wasn't a huge backlash against that series.

Did you even see the shit that went down in the final season? Backlash out the ass on that pile of garbage. If the ratings stayed the same or went up in the final season I would be surprised. I know I'm not the only persona that straight up dropped that show during the final season.

Boiled leather made this point this week. It is only "heavy handed" because we as book readers" know what is going to happen. The unsullied have been provided appropriate clues so when it happens, it doesn't seem out of nowhere.

Oh I agree that his role in John's potential demise could be a surprise, but his interactions with John have been pretty heavy handed. Or at least his importance in John's narrative.

Dysun

Boiled leather made this point this week. It is only "heavy handed" because we as book readers" know what is going to happen. The unsullied have been provided appropriate clues so when it happens, it doesn't seem out of nowhere.

lol no, every unsullied and their mother expects Olly to kill Jon. Wait for the reactions tonight
Half the people in the other thread are already braced for it

Corpsepyre

Banned
I simply don't agree. To me this season has only one good episode, lots of horrible episodes, even the ok ones were sprinkled with bad stuff.

There have been a number of decent to good episodes this season, with episode 8 being a great one, and 9 being a very good one, in my opinion. I'm glad they are removing a lot of filler from books 4 and 5. There was no way most of what GRRM had written would have made it to the show, and I knew this the moment I finished the last 2 books. TV just doesn't work that way. The show is still acted really well, and the story actually went somewhere this season as opposed to the last two books. I can't forgive the treatment of Tyrion in book 5 and how unbelievable padded his arc was. No justification for that.

Olly sucks.
If what we expect to happen actually happens it will have been the most heavy handed lame forshadowing I've seen on a tv show in a long time. Even the casuals in my life know he is going to do something stupid to Jon.

Lets hope for a shyamalan twist.

kswiston

The twist is Jon stays alive, all those Olly being shitty moments are just for trolling.

The twist is that Olly gets stabbed after pushing Jon out of the way. We then learn that Olly is Azor Ahai reborn. First thing he does with his new found power is ressurect Ros.

Speevy

Banned
I'm pretty well convinced at this point that no one has seen this episode, which makes me happy because most of it is new material.

Speevy

Banned
I still can't get get over the fact that Dany bailed on her friends even though she has successfully routed the harpies.

She wanted to save Drogon from the spears. Which is great motivation because she loves the dragons, but kind of a bummer if she wants to conquer Westeros. The best dragon we have. Everyone throw spears at it! That's the key!

She wanted to save Drogon from the spears. Which is great motivation because she loves the dragons, but kind of a bummer if she wants to conquer Westeros. The best dragon we have. Everyone throw spears at it! That's the key!
He looked like not really bothered by the spears. *shrug*

Speevy

Banned
Jon Arryn kept muttering something before his death. I don't know what it meant. He said "No one boils a potato like his mother." Surely the words of a madman.

munchie64

hqdefault.jpg

The simple years.

The twist is Jon stays alive, all those Olly being shitty moments are just for trolling.

Olly actually sacrifices himself for Jon

As Jon is cradling him in his arms Olly says

I've… seen things you crows wouldn't believe… Attacking wolves on fire off the shoulder of my village. I watched wildlings glitter in the dark near the body of my parents. All those… moments… will be lost in time, like [chokes up] snowflakes… in… your beard. Time… to die…
wDYMlVf.gif

Tubie

I can't wait till tonight!

That Jon scene will be brutal for non book readers (if it happens like in the books), hell even I am dreading it.

Brakke

Banned
Sansa is a Stark, and she is "worthy of the name" (whatever that means) -- indeed, much of her arc is about gaining greater appreciation for her roots. I'm not sure how her feeling a connection with her mother's family too is somehow a sign that she isn't a Stark -- as Arya angrily declared in her first chapter, "the woman is important too".

It should be pretty clear what worthy of the name means. Starks swing the headsman's sword themselves. Starks go to war for their family's sake. Starks stand tall for Honor and Justice.

You gotta cite something to back up her "arc" being about gaining appreciation in her roots. In the book, her arc is to hang around in the Vale doing nothing while Littlefinger nullifies Ned and pretends Sansa is his daughter by Cat.

In the show, Littlefinger knows more Stark family history than Sansa, and then she hangs out locked in a room getting tortured doing nothing. She even learns her brothers are alive and proceeds to not do anything about it. I dunno, this ep may tie some things off and be a big turning point for her, but that's just thing. It'll be a *turning* point. If she does anything -- anything at all really -- of her own volition, it'll be the first time ever.

And whatever you do, you gotta square the fact that Lady's dead.

Brakke

Banned
C's the only option that makes sense, given that book fans and cast lists for next season would spoil show fans anyway.

Why does this matter? It'll have emotional heft tonight at least.

Off-season rumors of Jon's return won't reach everyone, and those it does reach might get hyped. I guess you risk people who love Jon and *don't* hear he's returning just walking away entirely.

bengraven

Oh shit, Watchers made me remember my original choice for The Hound (and the person in my head when I read the books the first time).

PLEASE GOD GIVE US MICHAEL WINCOTT AS EURON.

Three-musketeers-rochefort_528_poster.jpg

"THEON THE REEK! Son of a salt worshipper! Your father died a coward, cursing your name and squealing like a stuck pig!"

The dusky woman.

How will they leave Jon's fate then?

A) Eyes closed, implied to be dead
B) Blue eyes
C) Warg eyes

First one is guaranteed I feel. I think they will leave the resurrection to next season and just fade to black when he 'dies'.

C's the only option that makes sense, given that book fans and cast lists for next season would spoil show fans anyway.

You mean people who frequent threads like these. Most viewers won't be checking casting lists or set reports. Also the whole Jon thing is dependant on the assumption that he returns to his original body and that too immediately.

kirblar

You mean people who frequent threads like these. Most viewers won't be checking casting lists or set reports. Also the whole Jon thing is dependant on the assumption that he returns to his original body and that too immediately.
Comment sections, EW.com - this stuff is too hard to avoid in this era to make a fakeout worth it.

kswiston

I would have pictured a weapon like that just bouncing off it. Dragons are supposed to have rock-hard scales.

The dragons of old scared the shit out of entire armies.

Yeah, but it was facing the Sons of the Harpy. The most elite fighting force the world has ever known.

I mean, these guys sat in a crowded stadium with their masks on, and no one even noticed until they were getting stabbed to death.

Yeah, but it was facing the Sons of the Harpy. The most elite fighting force the world has ever known.

I mean, these guys sat in a crowded stadium with their masks on, and no one even noticed until they were getting stabbed to death.

heard there was a cosplay convention going on at the pit, organized by hizdahr zo loraq himself, the plan was perfect

Speevy

Banned
The sons of the harpy turn their heads to the side before killing anyone. I think that gives them a sneak boost or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom