• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 5 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zolo

The end? It has been rushed since the onset.

Sam: Jon, you 'bout to get done in son. Can't be around you. Even though it makes no sense for me to abandon you since I EXPLICITLY know that Thorne has it in for you.

Jon: Makes sense. You leave immediately.

Sam: But maybe I can make some plans just in ca...

Jon: Immediately!

I meant more for the season as a whole.

squicken

In the books I never felt like Jon was dead and have no reason to think he is now. But this was a bad season save one episode. I chuckle at the idea that Martin can save the series seeing as how bad the past two books were

Let's start.

giphy.gif

glaw52

I really don't think it was as bad as some people are saying it was. However, they did butcher the Stannis storyline.

It was a little disappointing Jon didn't say Ghost or give a little hint of what happens to him.

#teamOllyKills

Kuroyume

Banned
That was not a good finale even though it had some cool moments.

Pros

- Arya's kill scene
- Theon/Sansa escape
- Cersei's atonement/walk (I thought it was the right length)
- Brienne killing Stannis

Cons

- Brienne leaving JUST as Sansa lights the candle.
- Stannis' storyline ended too abruptly. Just felt totally fucking hollow. I felt nothing.
- Anything to do with Daenerys. At least it ended like in the book, I guess.
- Dorne storyline with Myrcella... I guess you could give them a pat on the back after last week's curveball with Ellaria. But Myrcella's death did nothing.
- Expected Robert Strong to look cooler and bigger. Still, nice to see him.
- The final scene with Jon's stabbing. Fucking lame cliffhanger.

MartyStu

That's what I meant though. If they really wanted to kill him for the established reasons, they would have done it way before this. If Alister is willing to stab the Lord Commander, why would he even allow him back in with the Wildlings? He could have left them out there, and he would have been killed by the Wildlings. There is zero change to the situation at -this- point.

Fair enough. I suppose he thought Jon would fail/die?

But fuck it, I am not in the business of justifying D&D's terrible decisions.

They even ruined the Arya stuff by poorly climaxing to her lost of sight.

Massa

That's what I meant though. If they really wanted to kill him for the established reasons, they would have done it way before this. If Alister is willing to stab the Lord Commander, why would he even allow him back in with the Wildlings? He could have left them out there, and he would have been killed by the Wildlings. There is zero change to the situation at -this- point.

Openly rebelling against Jon would've been risky for him, the way he did it wasn't.

Next episode opens with Brienne's sword shaking, planted in the tree next to Stannis, who's still sitting there. Next scene is the same shot of Jon as he jerks back to life and coughs blood up at the camera.

I enjoyed that. :/

The cliffhanger's a bad misstep, but they've set some nice stuff up for next season. Tyrion and Varys running Meereen could be great, and Arya and Cersei's plot lines were handled wonderfully.

Werd

I didn't think it was a bad episode or anything, but it was certainly anti-hype.

- No corkscrew use (did I miss it or something?), super Ramsay survives.
- Mel abandoning Stannis and showing up at Winterfell at least hints at possible resurrection, but nothing in the actual moment? No "Ghost"? I guess without the Warg setup you can't have him just say it, would have to happen.. but some replacement?
- No LSH. Expected by now but still.
- Benjen fakeout... I mean it's just the previously on not the actual episode which left it hanging for 10 seconds, but yeah. Don't know why the preview needed 20 seconds of him for an excuse to bring him down when they could have said a thousand things.
- Brienne killing Stannis was one of the obvious potential outcomes, but we don't see the impact, don't see Brienne after, etc.
- Literally no extra event bringing on FTW?

Plus side... I liked Arya's scenes, the confession and Walk was good outside the weird flashes, and I actually liked the Stannis scenes prior to the death. It turns out burning your daughter in front of sell swords and some unbeliever followers is a mistake. Such a weakened force with no horses allowed it to be somewhat plausible for the Bolton's to ride out in force, though I don't know where that cavalry came from. The overhead shot was really nice. I thought he'd win last week, but Mel abandoning him made it clear he would lose.

MartyStu

If they were anywhere near as good as SoS the show would be halfway through Book 4 at this point, not desperately rushing to book 6.

Pretty much. SoS is the peak of the series.

Whenever I want to re-Read the series it and GoT are inevitably the only ones I bother with.

That's because no one is honestly convinced Jon is dead. Worst fake death in a book series of all time.

And people were over estimating a mad exodus if Jon dies.

Plenty of non book readers are enjoying the episodes as is..I'm fine with being behind again as the show passes the books. I was in this situation before and the reading is still interesting.

LordCanti

Ok let me start from the top:

Stannis has the worst guards alive. No one notices half the army leaving with all the horses? What? Seriously? Fuck man.

Why was Stannis's fate left ambiguous if not to imply she may have reconsidered? In an episode where we get a man's eyes being stabbed the fuck out we can't have a Stannis head lopping? He ain't dead or they did a poor job of it.

The Meereen stuff was... alright, until the STEALTH DOTHRAKI HORDE. COME ONNNNN.

Dorne stuff ends with Doran's heir captive (dead eventually I'm sure because he obviously doesn't matter) and Myrcella dead (who thought she'd ever matter anyway) so it's kind of a wash. It wasn't horribly done but it was still cheesy.

Cersei was ALL CGI and it was distracting. Her face CGI'd onto someone else's body. Just the worst. The actual scene other than that was done well.

Jon getting killed because of the Wildling rescue.... after being led to a goofy signpost that says "traitor" on it by Olly..... Mel is going to say "Why not burn the body? He's got kingsblood." and then they're going to find out that the Dragon can't burn and that the fires have revived him. I can see it now.

Stannis is the most egregious thing. At least show me his corpse if he's dead.

Kuroyume

Banned
If they were anywhere near as good as SoS the show would be halfway through Book 4 at this point, not desperately rushing to book 6.

The problem is D&D are fucking garbage. There's a lot of good in the last two books in terms of dialogue/character interactions. But D&D only seem to care about scenes in the books where people are either dying or getting raped. So they don't have much to work with. And like half of A Feast for Crows is Cersei ranting so there you go.

MartyStu

I hope the Sand Snakes return next season so they can deliver more amazing lines like the "bad pussy" one.

Is slapping people with your dick still considered socially unacceptable?

Because if not, that is exactly what GRRM should do to D&D. That line was disgraceful.

Ugh.

Well, I didn't dislike it (I found the Penance Walk to be a great scene like in the books), but it's true that in this finale, it's like all those show-created storylines didn't matter anymore:

"We bring Sansa to Winterfell as part of a Littlefinger scheme-thing? Lol no, Jeyne Poole time"

"Oh, you went all the way down to Dorne to check on Myrcella? Lol no, she's dead. Back to score 1".

"Don't even mention Tyrion and Dany meeting... we're just going to make him be the new Barristan"

ugh

At least Cersei, Arya and... no one else got nice resolutions to their specific storylines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom