• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 5 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

Next season will be better by default as Dorne is cut.

The first scene in season 6 will be Jaime and Bronne watching Myrcella's body being lowered into the sea, then they look at each other, and run to the captain's quarters and shout "WE HAVE TO GO BACK!"

Speevy

Banned
A snowstorm that only existed so he would be the complete opposite of what he is and die. Stannis as he is in the books would still march through it, or die on the way.

No, he will die along the way because GRRM told D&D that he dies in the books.

The handling of Stannis' story was pure amateur hour. 20 men sneak into his camp and magically destroy all his resources without anyone hearing/seeing anything, thus resulting in him burning his daughter in a last ditch effort to survive the storm/hunger. The blood magic works but he loses half his army to desertion. Now he convienantally has no horses and thus no scouts to determine the enemy has left Winterfell and is planning to ambush him.

Are you serious?

News Bot

Banned
Considering he tried to burn his own nephew when he had his back to the wall a few seasons ago, actually not all that surprising really. It's only a few steps worse, to be honest.

Where do you think he got all those sellswords who vanished on him from?

On a moral level? Maybe. But Robert's bastard didn't matter to Stannis. Shireen is completely different.

Money doesn't just hire mercenaries. Then there's the fact that those sellswords just seemed to disappear every time we saw Stannis, which makes them shitty sellswords by breaking contract for the sake of D&D's convenience. There is no suspense or build-up to this nonsense.

No, he will die along the way because GRRM told D&D that he dies in the books.

Have you even read the books? Stannis is already at Winterfell. The march is done. The drums of his army are heard by everyone in Winterfell. Stannis will most likely die in the books but it won't be in such a stupid fucking way.

Way to ignore both the books and my point about mereen but sure....and wrong still about his feelings on war. Did you miss his own analogy about the snake and the grass? The grass wasn't crying about hurting innocents, it hides the killer snake till the right moment. And wtf do you think he meant by fire and blood? Jeez
Did you miss the part right before the snakes and the grass about the water gardens? Like it's literally all he talks about. Did you only read the fire and blood speech and skip the rest?

I'm literally describing his character. A man who wants to save his kingdom, but ultimately succumbs to revenge. And he'll pay the price, I'm sure all the Martells will be dead by the end of Book 6.

carlsojo

I mean ultimately I do see Stannis making the dumb decision to just charge the Bolton's as sensible considering where the show went.

The second Melisandre abandoned him he realized that he had basically done all this for nothing. Might as well go out trying to cause as much damage as possible to your enemy.

Stannis isn't dumb, he's insane. Like how the Mad King thought that even when he burned the city down, he'd live through it like the fire-proof Targaryens of old.

GK7Idmf.jpg

Did you miss the part right before the snakes and the grass about the water gardens? Like it's literally all he talks about. Did you only read the fire and blood speech and skip the rest?

I'm literally describing his character. A man who wants to save his kingdom, but ultimately succumbs to revenge. And he'll pay the price, I'm sure all the Martells will be dead by the end of Book 6.
It's kind of amazing how people can miss the point so completely.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
The handling of Stannis' story was pure amateur hour. 20 men sneak into his camp and magically destroy all his resources without anyone hearing/seeing anything, thus resulting in him burning his daughter in a last ditch effort to survive the storm/hunger. The blood magic works but he loses half his army to desertion. Now he convienantally has no horses and thus no scouts to determine the enemy has left Winterfell and is planning to ambush him.

Are you serious?

Love the fact that he leaves the tree line without siege weapons to go siege..

Speevy

Banned
What strikes me the most about this discussion is that so many of you can't see this episode as its own separate entity, and insist on harping on things you didn't like in previous episodes.

Can I simply couple this with great episodes I liked from whatever season and call it a wash?

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
http://time.com/3920729/game-of-thrones-season-five-finale-jon-snow-death/

Some viewers took to social media to speculate that seeing him bleed out in the snow might not amount to proof of death—after all, Melisandre arrived back at the wall only hours before his stabbing, and her powers could prove helpful. Yet actor Kit Harington told Entertainment Weekly in no uncertain terms, “I’ve been told I’m dead. I’m dead. I’m not coming back next season.”

But then again, maybe there’s a chance he’s clueless—as a wise woman once said, “You know nothing, Jon Snow.”

lol

carlsojo

Are you serious?

That's probably how it's going to go in the books. He's going to try to burn Theon, his sister saves him and escapes, he has no one else with king's blood to burn. The snows worsen. Either Ramsay actually does attack or his supplies just RUN OUT because you can't hold a siege in the middle of winter. He has no choice but to burn his daughter. Half of his men desert. He charges anyway because Stannis is insane, and the Boltons smash the fuck out of him just as they describe in the letter.

News Bot

Banned
What strikes me the most about this discussion is that so many of you can't see this episode as its own separate entity, and insist on harping on things you didn't like in previous episodes.

Can I simply couple this with great episodes I liked from whatever season and call it a wash?

People are discussing this episode on its own merits. It just so happens that the whole season outside of Hardhome has been a disaster.

That's probably how it's going to go in the books. He's going to try to burn Theon, his sister saves him and escapes, he has no one else with king's blood to burn. The snows worsen. Either Ramsay actually does attack or his supplies just RUN OUT because you can't hold a siege in the middle of winter. He has no choice but to burn his daughter. Half of his men desert. He charges anyway because Stannis is insane, and the Boltons smash the fuck out of him just as they describe in the letter.

Read the books. Stannis is already at Winterfell. None of those things would happen at this point. Stannis is also not insane. That's just factually wrong.

We've gone from the show and books being a different thing, which is fine, to now suggesting the show doesn't even have to be consistent with itself now? Or good by its own terms? Low bars man.

LordCanti

lol - did they CG Lena's face on a body double for the fully nude scenes of the walk?

I'm almost certain this is what they did. Also for any scene inside where the hair was covering the face or where she was shot from behind. Basically I don't think you saw much of Lena outside of her face and neck.

Stannis the Mannis?
guy died like a bitch

that Arya payback was sooo good.
typical character reveals secret only for it die. Poor Marcella. I was looking forward more of her :(

CG cersei face lol that was a good scene though. at least the show didn't butcher that

Jon Snow stabbing was brutal. I wonder how the fan girls handling this
Franken-Mountain.

pretty good episode

dubq

I'm almost certain this is what they did. Also for any scene inside where the hair was covering the face or where she was shot from behind. Basically I don't think you saw much of Lena outside of her face and neck.

Yeah it just looks bizarre in some spots during the penance walk.

It's kind of amazing how people can miss the point so completely.
I agree :)

The point is really made clear when Doran and the Sand Snakes are horrified that Cersei would want Trystane dead ("She'd do that to a child?!") moments after they had been plotting to kill Tommen and Myrcella (a child).

Ellia, who isn't a complete idiot in the books, basically goes "Huh? What are you talking about? None of this makes sense. You have your revenge! Everyone responsible for both Oberyn and Ellia's death is dead, now you're just being a part of a vicious cycle!"

Then Doran says "Mhmm why don't you go to bed Ellia let the grown ups talk. She's right you know (to the Sand Snakes), mercy is the true path. Have you seen my water gardens? But she doesn't understand the way of the world. FIRE AND BLOOD"

Dude's a crazy old codger. That's why the pay off of his fire and blood speech is that his son dies in the most horrible way possible miles from home. Revenge plots lead to nothing but the death of innocents.

Yeah, pretty sure her chest isn't that large. That was my first reaction. Pretty sure she had a nude scene in 300, maybe that was CG as well though.

Tubie

I think GRRM's last 2 books were almost unreadable. This season was WAY better than them.

While the last 2 books were of lower quality than the first 3 (mainly due to so many viewpoints and so much traveling) this season felt like everything was rushed and not well written/developed.

The only decent episodes were 8 and 9, so I don't agree with this season being "WAY" better than the books.

carlsojo

People are discussing this episode on its own merits. It just so happens that the whole season outside of Hardhome has been a disaster.

Read the books. Stannis is already at Winterfell. None of those things would happen at this point. Stannis is also not insane. That's just factually wrong.

I read the books. He's as close to Winterfell in ADWD as he is at the end of Season 5. Stannis is insane. He burns people alive. Like the Mad King did.

He can't burn her in the books because people in the books can't teleport like they can in the show.

Speevy

Banned
We've gone from the show and books being a different thing, which is fine, to now suggesting the show doesn't even have to be consistent with itself now? Or good by its own terms? Low bars man.

No. Game of Thrones has enough characters and plots that each episode is like a separate adventure. I can say episode 9 was shit and this one was pretty good. I don't have to tie the two together in my mind even if the events are related.

While the last 2 books were of lower quality than the first 3 (mainly due to so many viewpoints and so much traveling) this season felt like everything was rushed and not well written/developed.

The only decent episodes were 8 and 9.

Book 4 and 5 had a lot of world building and politicking (4 specifically). Yes, they may have not been as good as the first 3 but at least they're still mostly coherent with themselves.

News Bot

Banned
He BURNS his DAUGHTER ALIVE and leads the charge ON FOOT against a FORTIFIED CASTLE. Stannis is insane.

He burns his daughter to gain favor from a god that he knows exists and has seen at work and, as stupid as the whole plot is, he feels great pain over it. As for attacking Winterfell, he had no other choice, it was do or die at that point. He couldn't make the march again.

Your definition of insanity is fucked. The Mad King burned people alive because he got off on it.

"I defeated your uncle Victarion and his Iron Fleet off Fair Isle, the first time your father crowned himself. I held Storm's End against the power of the Reach for a year, and took Dragonstone from the Targaryens. I smashed Mance Rayder at the Wall, though he had twenty times my numbers. Tell me, turncloak, what battles has the Bastard of Bolton ever won that I should fear him?"

FEAR THOSE 20 GOOD MEN, STANNIS! FEAR THEM!

So irked that they offed Stannis like that. Fine if you want to kill him but having this guy around for 4 seasons and then just have it all go predictably south for him in the span of about 30 minutes and have Mary Sue Brienne predictably be the one to kill him... meh.

And we never even got the cart before the horse speech either. *sigh*

Next season will be better by default as Dorne is cut. Euron story should be so much more interesting than that train wreck. Bran will be back too and I'm interested to see where that leads.

Eh, it'll be the D&D version of Euron. So they'll probably get Johnny Depp in his Pirates of the Caribbean garb to play Euron or something.

Gnome

I read the books. He's as close to Winterfell in ADWD as he is at the end of Season 5. Stannis is insane. He burns people alive. Like the Mad King did.

Didn't read them very close then eh?

Clayton Suggs - "A sacrifice will prove our faith still burns true, Sire."
Godry the Giantslayer - "The old gods of the north have sent this storm upon us. Only R'hllor can end it. We must give him an unbeliever."
Stannis - "Half my army is made up of unbelievers. I will have no burnings. Pray harder."

Except that book Stannis gives explicit orders to his men to continue fighting to seat Shireen on the throne in the case of his death. He's nothing like the show depiction.

On a moral level? Maybe. But Robert's bastard didn't matter to Stannis. Shireen is completely different.

Stannis does what he feels he has to as the Promised One, that bullshit Mel has been selling him the entire series*. If there's one thing Stannis is, it is dedicated to what he feels is the 'right' course of action. Namely, he has to save the seven kingdoms and defeat the walkers.

He BURNS his DAUGHTER ALIVE and leads the charge ON FOOT against a FORTIFIED CASTLE. Stannis is insane.

My favorite part of the episode, Stannis's actor was excellent. A man completely without hope or purpose. Just an automaton by that point. Brienne did him a favor.

News Bot

Banned

Theon and everyone in Winterfell hears Stannis' war drums. That's way too close for any of what you mentioned to be relevant.

Stannis does what he feels he has to as the Promised One, that bullshit Mel has been selling him the entire season. If there's one thing Stannis is, it is dedicated to what he feels is the 'right' course of action. Namely, he has to save the seven kingdoms and defeat the walkers.

Yes... and? He still wouldn't burn Shireen, or even burn a common unbeliever in the face of his army. Gendry is meaningless and nobody cares about him, not Stannis or his army.

Shireen isn't with him in the book. He's in a village waiting for the Freys and Manderlys to attack. The Freys are led by a hothead and of course the Manderlys aren't loyal to the Boltons. And Theon's first TWOW chapter adds more insight into things...

Stannis will die in the books obviously but I'd take a ban bet with anyone that he will win his upcoming battle. That's been my position since finishing ADWD, and the sample chapter made me even more confident.

Honestly I expect Stannis to be alive and face Dany in some form or fashion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom