• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaladin

Of the Stark Children:

Rob - dead
Jon (maybe not a Stark) - dead, but potentially resurrected by the Lord of Light - thus becoming less than he was.
Sansa - helpless AND a pawn of the man who conspired to kill her father.
Rickon - unable to walk, but learning some new skills
Arya - becoming not-a-stark (at least, that is where the House of B&W wants her)
Bran - MIA (seriously I'm not even sure I remember where Bran is in the books?).

Seems like a lot of the Stark-iness in Westeros is disappearing, huh?

IF Stannis is dead, all the Stags are gone now, so sorry House Barantheon, you played the GOT, and lost.

Bran is training to become a Tree Jedi in the north.

Also Rickon is what...8 by now? He should be walking. He would be a great playmate for Tommen when the Lannisters capture him.

Now another year of looking at castings and leaked pics is ahead of us. Can't wait for the Season 6 new cast video. Hopefully it's at comic con again.

God I really do hope jon comes back just to murder all those assholes. Ollie gets the worst death

U3SIUaA.jpg

I'll do it. Bolton style

And the rest will be excellent sacrifices for the LoL

whynotboth.jpg

Mereen is much better.
Arya is slightly worse although not by much because some of the stuff in the HoBaW was mind blowingly awesome, other stuff tedious.
Cersei was note for note from the book
The Wall almost the same as the books

No Sansa sitting around doing nothing, no Brienne on her quest to nowhere.

The Winterfell plot could have been better paced but on the whole I thought it was pretty decent, it really captured the horror from the books.

Stannis could have been better, again pacing is an issue but I had no problem with him burning Shireen. Lets not kid ourselves, the man was a fanatic and would do anything to fulfill what he thought was his destiny.

Dorne was blah but it ended in an interesting place. At least it won't be five years of Vengeance, Justic. Fire and Blood then LOL Quentyn. Plus Tyene was a major plus. For all the supposed sexposition of the show most of the sexual scene were troubling to say the least. A severe lack of light hearted breast exposure this season.

Jaime was wasted in both aFfC and the show so whatever. I hope he has something better next year.

Jaime wasn't wasted in AFFC. His stuff in the Riverlands was great and is legit character development. His throwing away of Cerseis letter was a great moment.

In the show, Jaime had absolutely 0 development in the past two seasons. He doesn't seem like he's changed a bit. No "moonboy for all I know", no nothing.

I seriously wonder if they have any idea what to do with him.

Of the Stark Children:

Rob - dead
Jon (maybe not a Stark) - dead, but potentially resurrected by the Lord of Light - thus becoming less than he was.
Arya - becoming not-a-stark (at least, that is where the House of B&W wants her)
Bran - MIA (seriously I'm not even sure I remember where Bran is in the books?).

IF Stannis is dead, all the Stags are gone now, so sorry House Barantheon, you played the GOT, and lost.

GRRM hates the Starks pretty much.

I'm not so sure he does. I think he's just doing that so it doesn't look like they were always the favourites/heroes if there's ever a resurgence. One of the books he had planned before A Dream of Spring (or the title) was called 'A Time for Wolves' - interpret that how you will. But I definitely think Starks have a key role to play.

Opiate

Of the Stark Children:

Rob - dead

There aren't really many houses left unscathed at this point, though. The Lannisters are in disarray. The Starks scattered. Jon Arryn is dead, and so is his wife. The Martells have lost Oberyn and will lose his wife shortly. The Bartheons, as far as I can tell, are totally obliterated. The closest to an "unscathed" party would be the Tyrells, who are all alive, even if several are imprisoned.

Marz

You guys really need to get over Stannis lol. His arc is complete, it was never going to end any other way. If anything his situation in the books is way more desperate than on the show. He's going to die in the North, one way or another.

How is his situation more desperate? In the books there's actual Northerners on the side of the Boltons that are itching to turn cloak as soon as possible for the Red Wedding. Manderlys especially are almost guaranteed to attack the Freys in the beginning of the next book. Stannis is also going to actually use his military mind and use the terrain to his advantage instead of walking up to Winterfell with no intel whatsoever on the Boltons anD getting decimated. And he doesn't have to deal with Ramsays ridiculous plot armor.

Crisco

Banned
How is his situation more desperate? In the books there's actual Northerners on the side of the Boltons that are itching to turn cloak as soon as possible for the Red Wedding. Manderlys especially are almost guaranteed to attack the Freys in the beginning of the next book. Stannis is also going to actually use his military mind and use the terrain to his advantage instead of walking up to Winterfell with no intel whatsoever on the Boltons anD getting decimated. And he doesn't have to deal with Ramsays ridiculous plot armor.

Uh, he's stranded in a frozen ghost town, burning his own men for eating each other. The Manderlys or other northerners may take down the Boltons, but none of them could give 2 shits about Stannis. If it comes to it, they'll turn against him if he tries to raise his flaming stag/heart banner over WF. The north will never kneel to a southron king again.

Werd

Couple random things I wanted to mention after re-watching

- Stephane Dilane's resignation as he realizes his fate was some great acting.

- After all the criticism of the very difficult flying scene, some of it deserved, Daenerys with Drogon in this episode was really well done. Emilia Clarke broke out of her standard 2 or 3 modes a bit too.

- Season 1 limited the scale a bit with a lower budget, we didn't see wide shots of armies and such very much. Not sure why they appeared out of nowhere, but it was very nice to see such a large scale Dohtraki Khalasar riding. Sold how big of an impact they could have on her forces.

- Still can't believe that was all Sansa got to do after so much punishment

jett

D-Member
You know, after Jon revives, what do you people expect to happen? He escapes Castle Black? He decimates Castle Black? The Black revere him as a new man-god?

Jayof9s

- Season 1 limited the scale a bit with a lower budget, we didn't see wide shots of armies and such very much. Not sure why they appeared out of nowhere, but it was very nice to see such a large scale Dohtraki Khalasar riding. Sold how big of an impact they could have on her forces.

I loved that wide shot of Winterfell, it finally gave an impression of how massive it is and it looked rather intimidating.

Marz

You know, after Jon revives, what do you people expect to happen? He escapes Castle Black? He decimates Castle Black? The Black revere him as a new man-god?

He walks out of castle black like a boss. Goes to Winterfell and kills that little shit Ramsey.

Jayof9s

He walks out of castle black like a boss. Goes to Winterfell and gets killed by that little shit Ramsey.

Fixed that.

And then the rest of the show is just Ramsay having Mel revive people so he can torture and kill them in new and painful ways and slowly acquiring the remaining major characters through increasingly improbable ways. /s

Dysun

Takes his wildling army on a raid to Winterfell after smashing Allister and Olly

Kyougar

The question is... what purpose in the story does Stannis have without an army or any support? Honestly, I don't see any way for him to add more to the story if he is alive. Help clear Brienne's name? No one cares who killed Renly at this point.

never thought about it, but Stannis being Lord Commander of the nights Watch would be cool and kinda redeeming for him.

Syder

The Black revere him as a new man-god?
I think the issue is that a portion of The Watch still don't actually believe in White Walkers despite almost empirical evidence. The group that murdered Jon still believe their main enemy is The Wildlings.

Which is kind of fucked because Alliser Thorne has been at the wall for more than 15 years and is First Ranger. A role once held by Benjen Stark, who chided Tyrion in season one for doubting the existence of supernatural creatures.

D&D have definitely fucked this aspect of Jon's death. In the books, it's almost understandable why Jon is killed. In the show, it's fucking stupid.

TRios Zen

p.sure you've got Bran and Rickon mixed up there. :p

HAHA, yeah, I did. I'll leave my stupidity there for posterity sake.

I'm not so sure he does. I think he's just doing that so it doesn't look like they were always the favourites/heroes if there's ever a resurgence. One of the books he had planned before A Dream of Spring (or the title) was called 'A Time for Wolves' - interpret that how you will. But I definitely think Starks have a key role to play.

I am pretty sure the Stark kids do have a role to play, just how much of what made them Starks are left?

There aren't really many houses left unscathed at this point, though. The Lannisters are in disarray. The Starks scattered. Jon Arryn is dead, and so is his wife. The Martells have lost Oberyn and will lose his wife shortly. The Bartheons, as far as I can tell, are totally obliterated. The closest to an "unscathed" party would be the Tyrells, who are all alive, even if several are imprisoned.

This is true - the show makes it seem even more dire then the books I think. The number of Tyrells, Lannisters and Targeyians can all be counted pretty easily. Maybe the big houses all disappear by the end of ASOIAF.

kirblar

Lead a wildling army to reclaim Winterfell.

Right after he kills Olly.

House Bolton: Winning.

Syder

The closest to an "unscathed" party would be the Tyrells, who are all alive, even if several are imprisoned.
In terms of the line of succession, Margaery and Loras aren't that important to the preservation of the dynasty at Highgarden. They are rich with the resources to feed and upkeep a large army.

but Winter is Coming.

Werd

I loved that wide shot of Winterfell, it finally gave an impression of how massive it is and it looked rather intimidating.
Yeah, I really didn't get a feel for Winterfell's layout at all in Season 1 aside from the opening credits. I didn't recognize it when the Bolton's rode up to it at first. Better here definitely.

Crisco

Banned
Isn't Highgarden being threatened by the Ironborn right now? With the bulk of their armada and army away to the East? I don't think the Tyrells are in great shape either....

- Still can't believe that was all Sansa got to do after so much punishment

I lol'd when she used that cockscrew everybody was so sure would be the tool of her righteous vengence to open a fucking door!

Stannis was born to be Lord Commander of the Night's Watch.

I'd be so down with that. The 'entry requirements' for lowlife allowed to take the black are almost poetically suited to someone who has fucked up as badly as Stannis.

D&D have definitely fucked this aspect of Jon's death. In the books, it's almost understandable why Jon is killed. In the show, it's fucking stupid.

I'm kind of surprised how many people seem to be fine with how this went down on the show. It's one of the worst fuck ups D&D have made. Without any sort of equivalent to the pink letter, there was absolutely no reason for the mutiny to take place. Some of the non book readers I know thought it had something to do with Stannis burning Shireen. Any protestations about "but the wildlings blah blah" became completely redundant the moment they let them through the gate. It makes no sense to Kill Jon at this point unless you pretend that everyone in the watch suddenly became an absolute, brain dead moron, with no memory of events since the story began.

Nekofrog

Banned

i mean, his watch is ended right? he died, so he's not a member of the watch anymore. he's free to do whatever he wants if he comes back

mantidor

And the Boltons of course, who will end up magically sitting on the Iron Throne.

I do not get the hate for Olly, he is a kid and ended up following the mob, Thorne is the real asshole and the one who probably orchestrated the whole thing to begin with.

TRios Zen

In the books he's free to leave. In the show he's not about to ditch the wall.

I don't disagree, but isn't part of his motivation for backing Stannis in the first place, the promise of support for the wall (should Stannis have won...oops)?

I would think IF he would leave the wall it would be to strengthen them in some way (rally the north or something).

Nekofrog

Banned
i think the best move for show jon if he comes back would be to leave the wall.

1. who the eff would even want him there as this dude who came back from the dead. they'd just try and kill him again or something.

2. he is the strongest symbol in uniting the north, and now free of the constraints of the black is actually able to do it.

Didn't Rob name Jon as his heir? In the books that is. So I'm sure the guy is free from his NW vows. As for the show since he's already dead I guess that free's him as well unless he has a change of heart

Werd

Didn't Rob name Jon as his heir? In the books that is. So I'm sure the guy is free from his NW vows. As for the show since he's already dead I guess that free's him as well unless he has a change of heart

He states that is his intention to, and I believe it's implied he tells his bannermen (who have the "Great Northern Conspiracy" going), but we do not get 100% confirmation it's done and the realm as a whole does not know. Jon doesn't.

Jayof9s

That reminds me, did they ever resolve that in the show? I seem to remember Robb sending the letter in the show and then did it just disappear?

Syder

If Myrcella, Tommen and Stannis are dead, who would have the strongest claim to the throne? Technically Dany, I guess.
In the book world, that would go to Edric Storm, King Robert's eldest acknowledged Bastard-born son. Roughly the same age as Trystane Martell, Edric was conceived on Stannis' Wedding night with one of Selyse's cousins, Delena. As Delena was of noble birth, Edric was acknowledged by the King. He would then be sent to Storm's End as a ward of Renly and was under the guardianship of Cortnay Penrose. As an acknowledged bastard, Edric would be sent birthday gifts by King Robert, chosen by Varys, every year.

Although Gendry is older than Edric his existence is unknown to most of Westeros and as his mother wasn't highborn he was never acknowledged by Robert, although his tutelage under the blacksmith was paid for.

Of Robert's many bastard's, there is also Mya Stone. Who is his oldest bastard and although was never acknowledged it is very well known that she is biologically King Robert's daughter but as she is female the line of succession would pass her over in favour of Edric anyway.

Many of King Robert's known bastards were murdered shortly after his death as we all know but there are a few survivors.

RedShift

He states that is his intention to, and I believe it's implied he tells his bannermen (who have the "Great Northern Conspiracy" going), but we do not get 100% confirmation it's done and the realm as a whole does not know. Jon doesn't.

I think if you track Robb's will it ends up in the same place as anything interesting about the Starks (e.g. Ned's body and information about R+L=J): stuck on Howland's moving castle.

Marz

In the book world, that would go to Edric Storm, King Robert's eldest acknowledged Bastard-born son. Roughly the same age as Trystane Martell, Edric was conceived on Stannis' Wedding night with one of Selyse's cousins, Delena. As Delena was of noble birth, Edric was acknowledged by the King. He would then be sent to Storm's End as a ward of Renly and was under the guardianship of Cortnay Penrose. As an acknowledged bastard, Edric would be sent birthday gifts by King Robert, chosen by Varys, every year.

Although Gendry is older than Edric his existence is unknown to most of Westeros and as his mother wasn't highborn he was never acknowledged by Robert, although his tutelage under the blacksmith was paid for.

Of Robert's many bastard's, there is also Mya Stone. Who is his oldest bastard and although was never acknowledged it is very well known that she is biologically King Robert's daughter but as she is female the line of succession would pass her over in favour of Edric anyway.

Many of King Robert's known bastards were murdered shortly after his death as we all know but there are a few survivors.

Yea but in the book world, the Lannisters and the Tyrells would just laugh if this guy actually had the audacity to claim the throne.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!

Being acknowledged isn't the same as being legitimized.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom