• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Apt101

I still don't get the Dorne plot moving forward. People keep saying they saved the plot with the Myrcella stuff. But now, Doran lost his future daughter in law, one who could've been a major power or heir to Casterly Rock, his only heir (in the show) is now in Lannister hands and the second chance he gave Ellaria seems to have backfired. Even in the books it didn't make much sense, but it's completely balls up in the show. So much for the 'we don't hurt little girls in Dorne'.

Unless Myrcella death is used as plot device for Jaime to move onto Riverlands or into Brienne arms or whatever. Maybe Jaime now becomes the character he was in books. Realizes he has no one who really loves him, he wasn't a father to his own children, he's nothing without his hand, there are no accolades in his white book for him, etc.

I guess that since almost all of the characters related to Dorne from the books aren't present, nor are most of the plot threads, the writers of the show figured it made more sense to have Ellaria try to start a war by murdering Mrycella and leaving the prince in Jaime's hands. Presumably she figures Cersei will kill or torture him, provoking war with Dorne.

That's my guess. The plots now diverge so wildly I don't know what to think. I know the entire GoT Dorne storyline has been awkward and boring to me.

takriel

I guess that since almost all of the characters related to Dorne from the books aren't present, nor are most of the plot threads, the writers of the show figured it made more sense to have Ellaria try to start a war by murdering Mrycella and leaving the prince in Jaime's hands. Presumably she figures Cersei will kill or torture him, provoking war with Dorne.

That's my guess. The plots now diverge so wildly I don't know what to think. I know the entire GoT Dorne storyline has been awkward and boring to me.

Yeah, Dorne was really lame this season. Hopefully it will pick up now that war seems to be on the horizon. But please, kill off these Sand Snakes already...

Jayof9s

Haha we're all speculating that Theon and Sansa are still alive. But what if they're actually dead? The showrunners will be like: "Wait, you really thought they survived? We thought we made it pretty clear that they died there jumping off that wall..."

In their defense, there's no way they would have survived that fall. I can't help but wonder if everyone that keeps saying "but there was snow!" are from southern climates and have never interacted with snow or are just basing that on normal television logic.

At least in the book the drifts were about half way up the walls. There was like half a foot of snow shown when they looked down in the show and if the snow was melting everywhere it would be hard packed...

It was just one of many moments that left me rolling my eyes during the finale. I enjoyed it overall but some parts just felt so contrived.

graffix13

Yeah, not buying it.

Laying it on pretty thick there.

Looking at it from the other angle though...

What if he REALLY is dead? What is he suppose to say? It's like he's trying to tell fans of the show he really is dead and gone, he can't say it more clearly, yet people are still in denial.

I want him to be rezzed by Mel, but I'm starting to want him to be gone for good just to see the complete fan meltdown when he doesn't show up next season. It would be...entertaining.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
So now that you all know what a fuckhead Olly is, how will you feel during your rewatch of season 4, when his village and parents get destroyed and eaten?

Burt

So now that you all know what a fuckhead Olly is, how will you feel during your rewatch of season 4, when his village and parents get destroyed and eaten?

Death of a child, birth of a monster.

It's like Bruce Wayne turning into the Joker instead of Batman.

Looking at it from the other angle though...

What if he REALLY is dead? What is he suppose to say? It's like he's trying to tell fans of the show he really is dead and gone, he can't say it more clearly, yet people are still in denial.

I want him to be rezzed by Mel, but I'm starting to want him to be gone for good just to see the complete fan meltdown when he doesn't show up next season. It would be...entertaining.

Why does he have to say anything? He just got the shit stabbed out of him. Sean Bean didn't have to make a statement saying he's not coming back next season.

Star-Wars-Anakin.jpg

Real Hero

lmao if littlefinger just takes her back the vale and they carry on with where the books left her. Worst storyline in a HBO show ever?

Lothar

Banned
Don't you guys remember that Littlefinger is going to Winterfell with a Vale army? That's why they're not finished with the Vale characters.

I hated the last two episodes too bit I seriously doubt Sansa is going back to the Vale.

Euron

"Hey so I know I fucked up and traumatized you but I have this guy the Vale you can marry. No don't worry I swear it won't be like last time. Wait where are you going? The Manderlys aren't in the show and Stannis is dead you have nowhere to run."

Patriots7

Yohn Royce was all about protecting the Vale and Robert Arryn from Littlefinger.
He was also close with Ned.

In the show he's just a pacified idiot who has Robert in his custody.

Sansa is not going back to the Vale.
Her storyline from the books would make no sense. Littlefinger is not as smart as Book Littlefinger and in the show he doesn't have a tenuous grasp on the Vale.

He already has the Vale forces marching to Winterfell.

Sansa continuing her book storyline would mean that her storyline this season was just for shock value, and numerous people on this board assured me that there was a better reason for her being in Winterfell. I have faith in D&D.

She's going to go to the Wall or to Last Hearth to find Rickon.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Some redditor in Belfast reporting something interesting. If it's true, of course.

Edit: oops sorry, posting from mobile, thought it linked.

https://www.reddit.com/r/asoiaf/comments/39t7ns/spoilers_all_kit_harington_hints_got_season_6_info/

lol

Not sure if it's true or not, in any case they're not filming yet so I'm not sure why him being in Belfast would matter.

Regardless I love the developing narrative of D&D desperately scrambling to keep the worst kept secret in TV history.

Speevy

Banned
Yohn Royce just shows up outside of Winterfell.

"Wait, how the bloody hell did we get here? This doesn't make any geographical sense."

graffix13

Why does he have to say anything? He just got the shit stabbed out of him. Sean Bean didn't have to make a statement saying he's not coming back next season.

Right but:
  1. It's Sean Bean. He dies in everything, so people know he's gone for good.
  2. It's Season 5, and Kit has quite the following. Not to mention the book hints at him not being dead.

I'm just playing Devil's Advocate.

Speevy

Banned
Does anyone like my trojan horse idea?

Presumably any army with Sansa Stark would be welcomed past Moat Cailin with open arms, right?

I just can't get enough of the hilarious "invincible Ramsay" and "20 good men" meme!

Because it's just impossible to believe that 20 guys born and bred in the north could, under cover of a blizzard, sneak into a camp of an exhausted and demoralized army, most of them mercenaries with no loyalty, all with no experience in the north, and set fire to their supplies.

Speevy

Banned
Does the Vale have a big enough army to take out the one million troops who wiped the floor with Stannis?

I'm assuming the Boltons have about 8,000 troops, reinforced by other armies and Stannis' own sellswords.

Littlefinger pointed to Stannis having the larger force at the start of the season.

There were probably about 2,000 men left in Stannis' army before the routing.

Speevy

Banned
I just can't get enough of the hilarious "invincible Ramsay" and "20 good men" meme!

Because it's just impossible to believe that 20 guys born and bred in the north could, under cover of a blizzard, sneak into a camp of an exhausted and demoralized army, most of them mercenaries with no loyalty, all with no experience in the north, and set fire to their supplies.

It's not what they did. It's how it was filmed.

Suddenly tents seemed to catch fire as though remotely ignited, and ALL the siege weapons were gone, ALL the food stores were gone.

Either Davos is a drama queen or Ramsay has some inside information.

Crisco

Banned
They should have shown exactly how Ramsay and his 20 good man burned the tents. It's not terribly hard to imagine. Sneak in, drop some flammable materials next to each tent, and then shoot a bunch of fire arrows from the cliff above the encampment. I'm chalking it up to running out of budget.

Eh. It's like when he ran off the ironborn. It's not like it was just him in his underwear. He had armed and armored guys behind him and, yes, a pack of dogs. The ironborn were outnumbered. The scene sucked but it doesn't mean Ramsay would have just chopped everyone up by himself. Nor did we see him fight in this battle, for all we know he just waited in the back until it was over and then went around stabbing wounded people. There is actually NO evidence that he is some remarkable fighter in the show, in fact we haven't seen him fight a single time or heard about him fighting.

Right but:
  1. It's Sean Bean. He dies in everything, so people know he's gone for good.
  2. It's Season 5, and Kit has quite the following. Not to mention the book hints at him not being dead.

I'm just playing Devil's Advocate.

Plus, Ned's execution was not the final scene of season one.

They should have shown exactly how Ramsay and his 20 good man burned the tents. It's not terribly hard to imagine. Sneak in, drop some flammable materials next to each tent, and then shoot a bunch of fire arrows from the cliff above the encampment. I'm chalking it up to running out of budget.

Or oil + wicks. It's not like timed fires are some incredible new invention.

Speevy

Banned
Speaking of new inventions, does Doran have that awesome wheelchair in the books?

Cuz you know, that would really move industry along if they figured out how to make a damn wheelchair.

Some redditor in Belfast reporting something interesting. If it's true, of course.

Edit: oops sorry, posting from mobile, thought it linked.

https://www.reddit.com/r/asoiaf/comments/39t7ns/spoilers_all_kit_harington_hints_got_season_6_info/

If it IS true, way to play it cool there, Kit. Instead of telling the Redditor "I'm just sitting here having lunch" or possibly "hey, piss off" he told him "hey man, I'm just here filming season 6 of the show, now don't tell anyone, lol!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom