• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
- EW with a few more interview snippets from D&D (I assume this is from the EW set visit when filming S5)

Of interest:
We once asked Thrones showrunners David Benioff and Dan Weiss, who hope to cap their worldwide hit at roughly seven seasons, what their hope was for the show’s eventual legacy.

“It would be nice if people kept watching it,” Weiss said. “The idea is to tell a unified story that’s 70-odd hours long and do that successfully. It’s something I would love for my kids to be able to appreciate someday – though it might be traumatic for them to see it.”
I know people keep mentioning a split 7th season or other means of extension, but have D&D ever publicly deviated from saying they're planning on 7 seasons?

RyanDG

- EW with a few more interview snippets from D&D (I assume this is from the EW set visit when filming S5)

Of interest:I know people keep mentioning a split 7th season or other means of extension, but have D&D ever publicly deviated from saying they're planning on 7 seasons?

I'm a little concerned about some of the hints Martin has been dropping about possibly not finishing in seven books and what that would mean for the show. Though I guess at this point, the show has gone off in its own direction and likely should be viewed as its own separate entity.

They are noticeably avoiding saying "definitely not" to an 8th anymore. "Not 10", "Not 9" both came out in another interview- but not "Not 8".
Interesting. I haven't been keeping track recently. We'll probably see how it shakes out when they renew the show next year.
No but each season of GoT is closer to 9 hours than 10 which means they'll owe us a half dozen or so episodes. :p
Touché

So conceivably, they're going to bring all the plots to an end within 20 hours. I just can't see it without some insane shortcuts.

At best we'll get a season 7 that's 14/16 episodes long but split over 2 years like Breaking Bad/Mad Men etc. Not sure how that would work out, presumably it would still bring about all the same contractual issues as having seasons 8/9 & beyond.

The story will absolutely have shortcuts. We've already seen some of those major cuts this season in The Riverlands & The Vale being ditched, with Jaime/Sansa's stories being re-written/combined with other, minor characters to keep them in the show.

Moff

I'm a little concerned about some of the hints Martin has been dropping about possibly not finishing in seven books and what that would mean for the show. Though I guess at this point, the show has gone off in its own direction and likely should be viewed as its own separate entity.

I dont think that really matters, they have the outlines, they will make 7 seasons with them.
if GRRM fills 7, 8 or 9 books to tell roughly the same story honestly doesn't make a difference to me.

Iksenpets

Banned

Of interest:I know people keep mentioning a split 7th season or other means of extension, but have D&D ever publicly deviated from saying they're planning on 7 seasons?

They seemed to soften on this a lot at the start of this season, when they acknowledged that HBO wants to go beyond seven. And [season 6 casting]
they seem to be casting even more characters for season 6 than they did for season 5. It doesn't feel like they're entering the home stretch quite yet.

Lets see.

Originally three books
Extended to six.
Turns out need split a book, so then it was seven (this decision was made probably about 11-12 years ago).
He has said in the past if he needs more books he will.

He's never been accurate with predicting how many books he'll need.

Kyougar

I doubt that Bronn will betray Jaime.

On a separate note,

Anyone think were getting a Tower of Joy scene with Ned, Arthur Dayne, and Howland Reed? Through one of Bran's visions or will they start the season off with this scene? Like they did for Cersei in S5.

Like I said in my rewritten Season 4 5 6 dream-writeup. They just had to have Tower of joy as a Episode 9 Full Episode for Season 5.

- THR: 'Game of Thrones' Director Previews "Complex" and "Enormous" Season 6
Director Jack Bender is headed to Westeros.

The veteran director and producer is preparing to travel overseas to tackle two episodes of Game of Thrones season six, which will pick up the pieces following the show's most controversial season to date.

Though Bender has worked on high-profile shows such as ABC's Lost and HBO's The Sopranos, he admits that tackling two episodes of Thrones is going to be unlike anything he's faced, "because of how complex and enormous their production is," he says.

"I'm very calendar-challenged and the Game of Thrones production calendar might as well be in Chinese, it's so complex," Bender tells The Hollywood Reporter. "That's how they achieve their extraordinary ten episodes per year."

He hasn't received any scripts yet, but he did get an outline for the season while season five was still airing. He says the writers have "about six or seven scripts written" for season six so far.

Bender was originally approached several years ago to work on the show, but the time commitment even to direct two episodes is so large that he wasn't able to make it work until now. He'll be overseas from the end of July until the first week of December, before returning home to work on an adaptation of Stephen King's Mr. Mercedes for Sonar Entertainment.

Speevy

Banned
Holy shit.

hqdefault.jpg

Euron

recast him for a second time, then
Euron's already been recast even more than the mountain.

You want a good Madds, but you need the bad Purefoy.
9.75/10

Euron is the opposite of the Faceless Men. Instead of many people operating each as no one, Euron is many people, each operating as Euron.
Correct for the most part but I've seen some Euron usernames on other forums who happened to be twats. For every Euron there are about 7-16 pretenders.

Mxrz

Rgh. They really going to cast / flashback Arthur Dayne?

That would be something. Hell, I'm on board with him still being alive too. Not exactly drowning in 'true' Knights at this point.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
We need more true villains who aren't Satan Bolton.

To be honest, I think it will be an interesting comparison to see who was worse, Joffery or Ramsay in the end, they are both psychopaths played brilliantly and very entertaining to watch. Euron as a villian has his work cut out for him, because I don't think he will be able to played as good as the other two fucks.

Speevy

Banned
To be honest, I think it will be an interesting comparison to see who was worse, Joffery or Ramsay in the end, they are both psychopaths played brilliantly and very entertaining to watch. Euron as a villian has his work cut out for him, because I don't think he will be able to played as good as the other two fucks.

Ramsay has already done worse.

He's raped women and personally killed people. He's also subjected people to psychological torture. Joffrey was an asshole who had people killed/tortured but at least he told people up front about it.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
Ramsay has already done worse.

He's raped women and personally killed people. He's also subjected people to psychological torture. Joffrey was an asshole who had people killed/tortured but at least he told people up front about it.

True enough...hmm maybe I should be looking for a different word than worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom