• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moff

the show/books do not lack villains, they lack true antagonists. GRRM could not fill the whole tywin left when he should have, and of course neither could D&D, although they probably tried to go into that direction with the night's king. needless to say a silent ice necromancer isn't nearly good enough, and neither will euron be.

purefoy was perfect in rome, because he is such a prick. I don't want euron to be a prick. besides I think he said once he hates GOT because he somehow thinks HBO cancelled rome for GOT.

Speevy

Banned
the show/books do not lack villains, they lack true antagonists. GRRM could not fill the whole tywin left when he should have, and of course neither could D&D, although they probably tried to go into that direction with the night's king. needless to say a silent ice necromancer isn't nearly good enough, and neither will euron be.

purefoy was perfect in rome, because he is such a prick. I don't want euron to be a prick. besides I think he said once he hates GOT because he somehow thinks HBO cancelled rome for GOT.

Purefoy may have sour grapes, but he can't complain. He practically was season 2.

I honestly think that he should just reprise Marc Antony. Dude's a battlefield legend who knows how to lose in style.

Ratrat

To be honest, I think it will be an interesting comparison to see who was worse, Joffery or Ramsay in the end, they are both psychopaths played brilliantly and very entertaining to watch. Euron as a villian has his work cut out for him, because I don't think he will be able to played as good as the other two fucks.
There is no contest over who is worse. Also they merely need to portray Euron as anything other than a cartoon villain and he will be an instant improvement over Ramsay.

Speevy

Banned
It seems like there are too many whitewalkers/undead to defeat in any one battle, so can you kill them all by destroying the king, or is there some sort of spell/broken curse or other secret that might do it?

CassSept

Senator Soufflé;169436641 said:
As good as Mads would be his accent wouldn't fit with the rest of the Ironborn.

He spent a long time away from home, his accent being different would not be a problem really.

Speevy

Banned
He spent a long time away from home, his accent being different would not be a problem really.

Tyrion, Jaime, and Daario almost sound like full-fledged Americans at certain points, and after those Dornish accents, I can forgive what Mikkelson sounds like.

After all, why do some of the wildlings talk in those Scandanavian accents? No one in the seven kingdoms talks like this.

Speevy

Banned
Are there any characters Ray Stevenson and Kevin Mckidd could play?

I've always thought that John Goodman is fat enough to play Wyman Manderly, though not much like him otherwise.

Moff

well stevenson has been a long time fan wish for victarion

and honestly GRRM would be the perfect manderly, at that point it really doesnt matter anymore and they should just make it happen

I almost feel this is by design, though. With Tywin out the picture, Westeros lacks any truly powerful, unifying figures.

Kyougar

GRRM was in hamburg, germany this Weekend: http://www.spiegel.de/kultur/litera...orge-r-r-martin-in-deutschland-a-1040107.html

"Es gibt da diese Figur, von der ich immer wusste, dass sie sterben wird, vom Moment ihrer Einführung an war sie dem Tod geweiht. Aber ich wusste nicht, wie sie sterben würde. Seit gestern Abend weiß ich es. Vielleicht lag es an Hamburg, keine Ahnung."

translation:

"There is this one Character i wrote, that was from the first introduction always destined to die. But i Didnt know How. Since yesterday, I know. Maybe its Hamburg, I dont know."

Zwar habe er keinen exakten Plan für jede der etwa zweitausend Figuren der Serie, antwortet George R.R. Martin. Aber immerhin: "Ich weiß, wer von den Hauptcharakteren stirbt und wer am Ende noch am Leben ist. Und ich weiß, wer den Eisernen Thron besteigt."

translation:

He doesnt have a plan for every of his approximately 2000 Characters, Martin said. But: "I know which of the maincharacters dies and who survives till the end. And i know who will sit on the Iron Throne."

The Author of the Article ends with the words, that they now know the Iron Throne will "survive" till the end. But i dont think thats what GRRM means. he said he knows who will sit it. But there was no "at the end" from his statement.

Also: his Book publisher told everyone that asking about the release of the Book and about his health are banned.

Gnome

Frankly I would love to see Kings Landing burned to Ash and everyone like, "Yeah, that probably means something and we should return to our own lands... "

Cersei loves to talk about how she is willing to burn cities to the ground for her kids. Also Jaime isn't sure whether they found all the wildfire under Kings Landing.

Madness

stannis isn't dead. neither is jon

d&d wants the readers/non readers to believe that

don't be so gullible

I think Jon Snow the character is dead. Whoever comes back from the dead may be Jon, but he won't necessarily be Jon Snow. Sort of how Lady Stoneheart wasn't necessarily Catelyn anymore. The way Kit was talking about how his character never got to know his parentage etc. I think its something Azor Ahai or whoever is reborn just won't care enough. The boy is dead, the man/legend will be reborn.

I also don't think Stannis is dead. The showrunners basically said they did the Jon shot to show you he died. That if you don't see a body these days, it means they're not dead. So why cut away from Stannis? Maybe her duty is to have Stannis answer for his crimes, take him to Jaime, or who knows who else. Maybe Pod stopped her etc.

Madness

I'm a little concerned about some of the hints Martin has been dropping about possibly not finishing in seven books and what that would mean for the show. Though I guess at this point, the show has gone off in its own direction and likely should be viewed as its own separate entity.

As morbid as it sounds, I honestly don't think GRRM will be around for more than 7 books. He was 52 when he wrote ASOS. He wrote AFFC at age 57, he finished ADWD at 63, Winds of Winter he'll most likely be 67-68. If it's taking him 5 years a book, he'll finish the 7th by what, age 73? Fans of the books should be more worried about whether the book series will even finish as opposed to what the show will do.

bengraven

Cersei loves to talk about how she is willing to burn cities to the ground for her kids. Also Jaime isn't sure whether they found all the wildfire under Kings Landing.

cersei-gif.gif

You want a good Madds, but you need the bad Purefoy.

13.gif

George R.R. Martin looks like the mascot for a seafood restaurant.

16.gif

As morbid as it sounds, I honestly don't think GRRM will be around for more than 7 books. He was 52 when he wrote ASOS. He wrote AFFC at age 57, he finished ADWD at 63, Winds of Winter he'll most likely be 67-68. If it's taking him 5 years a book, he'll finish the 7th by what, age 73? Fans of the books should be more worried about whether the book series will even finish as opposed to what the show will do.

Nobody has ever lived past age 73.

Vade

Nobody has ever lived past age 73.

It is not just his age, but that he is fat/unhealthy as all shit and continues to eat the typical American way of being far overweight. Can you live a long life even if you are being unhealthy; yes, but your chances of stroke, heart attack, ect. dramatically increases.

I like the Jaime/volanquar theory where he kills her after she threatens to use the wildfire on kings landing, just like Aegon T.

It is not just his age, but that he is fat/unhealthy as all shit and continues to eat the typical American way of being far overweight. Can you live a long life even if you are being unhealthy; yes, but your chances of stroke, heart attack, ect. dramatically increases.

Well, hes already 60 something. I wouldn't expect anyone of that age to change any habits. If I was 65 and fat, I would just eat what I want till I die.

IMO I think he will finish Book 7. Lots of people live long lives and are fat.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
http://winteriscoming.net/2015/06/23/dont-call-it-a-curtain-call-jon-snow-will-live-again/

Between the "curtain call" and this subsequent article I'm convinced the writers of WiC are either just trying to keep up the company line of Jon being permanently dead, or they're just mostly idiots. The second article gives me reason to think the latter when it says:

My colleagues think I’m off my rocker with all this, and of course you could put it firmly in the “tinfoil hat category,”

Among what readers of ASOIAF is the idea of Jon being resurrected considered tinfoil? It's about as close to canon as it can be without actually being written on the page.

Aside from the fact that he's overweight there's never really been any indication that GRRM is particularly unhealthy. The man has been in the public spotlight for years now and there's never been a "GRRM hospitalized, series in jeopardy!!" tabloid headline yet. And how do you know how he eats? Have you shared a meal with the man? This line of discussion is fucking ridiculous at times.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Well yeah, that's what will happen. But if you read the articles they're obviously going all-in on the idea that he's not coming back at all.

Jayof9s

Aside from the fact that he's overweight there's never really been any indication that GRRM is particularly unhealthy. The man has been in the public spotlight for years now and there's never been a "GRRM hospitalized, series in jeopardy!!" tabloid headline yet. And how do you know how he eats? Have you shared a meal with the man? This line of discussion is fucking ridiculous at times.

Honestly, the fact that he takes longer to write each book and keeps adding books is the main reason I worry he'll die before the series ends. He could be 30 and running marathons and I'd be worried that he would die before he finishes if he keeps adding books and writing each one slower than the last.

SteveWD40

then what's the point of arthur dayne ?
"oh so jon was a targaryen but now he's dead lol too bad"

Mel turning up at the wall assures he comes back to my mind, on top of the total build up. There is avoiding tropes and then there is just trolling people.

Kit has gone balls deep on the "I am dead" thing though, he is either lying his arse off about not being in S6 or is choosing words carefully (so he is dead but comes back, just not as Kit Harrington in S6...).

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Honestly, the fact that he takes longer to write each book and keeps adding books is the main reason I worry he'll die before the series ends. He could be 30 and running marathons and I'd be worried that he would die before he finishes if he keeps adding books and writing each one slower than the last.

I think every fan of the books has at some point worried that the man will die before the series ends. We all want to get the conclusion, and we all don't like that it takes forever between books.

It's just that a lot of the discussion about it on the internet really gets into some weird territory.

tmdorsey

I think Jon will be the same, but slightly different if that makes sense. Him possibly warging into Ghost while Mel revives his body is different from Cat who was just straight revived by the Lord of Light.

SpaceHorror

I think Jon will be the same, but slightly different if that makes sense. Him possibly warging into Ghost while Mel revives his body is different from Cat who was just straight revived by the Lord of Light.

Not to mention Cat was dead longer, soaking in the river, and the way she died, watching Robb betrayed and murdered after all the Starks went through prior. All of that seemed to have an affect on her.

Berric did lose a piece of himself each time, but it seemed progressive, the more he came back, the more he lost of his old self. GRRM recently pointed out that when Berric first came to court in AGoT he was a showboat knight, by the time we meet him again, after seven resurrections, he's a shadow of that man. He wasn't completely gone, however, as he did eventually give his life to revive Catelyn.

This will be Jon's first time, he may lose a bit of himself, but I doubt he'll be completely different. Plus, we don't know how he will be affected by the resurrection after possibly warging into Ghost. We haven't seen a resurrection after warging yet, he may keep more of himself than both Berric and Catelyn.

- EW: Game of Thrones Comic-Con panel revealed
NBC late-night host Seth Meyers will moderate the Hall H presentation. Confirmed attendees include Thrones stars Alfie Allen (Theon/Reek), John Bradley (Samwell Tarly), Gwendoline Christie (Brienne of Tarth), Liam Cunningham (Ser Davos Seaworth), Natalie Dormer (Margaery Tyrell), Conleth Hill (Varys), Hannah Murray (Gilly), Sophie Turner (Sansa Stark), Carice van Houten (Melissandre) and Maisie Williams (Arya Stark).

From the behind the camera, there’s executive producer Carolyn Strauss and director David Nutter, who helmed the final two episodes of season 5.

Interestingly, the show’s primary creative talents are not attending: Thrones showrunners David Benioff and Dan Weiss are will not be at Comic-Con. The same goes for Thrones author George R.R. Martin, who has previously said he’s skipping Comic-Con to focus on writing his next novel, The Winds of Winter.

The panel will be on Friday, July 10 at 2:30 p.m.

Iksenpets

Banned
They could just be super busy or taking a break.

Eh, they've made it every other year just fine. I just think they know at this point their presence would detract more from the conversation than it would add. Everyone would just want answers re: Stannis/Sansa/Dorne changes, why did you cut Aegon/Manderly/Greyjoys, etc. Stuff that everyone wants answers to, but there's probably no way to have a productive conversation about. Not having anyone from the writing staff present forces everyone to just focus the discussion on the actors and their thoughts on their characters.

Edit: Didn't realize they missed 2012. My bad. Still, I think there's probably some degree of calculation here.

Looks like they weren't part of the panel in 2012 but they were in 2013 and 2014. People are reading a lot into this. Besides, wouldn't most of you prefer they spend those days working on the show. :p

It's a good thing D&D and GRRM are not coming. There is nothing productive for them to add to the discussion - they can't explain certain plotlines without spoiling what's coming, and can't tell us what happens to Jon, which I'm sure will be one of the things everyone will be trying to learn about. They have entered the territory where they have to be extremely tight lipped going forward, which is easier to do if they are not asked a plethora of questions over an hour.

Looks like they weren't part of the panel in 2012 but they were in 2013 and 2014. People are reading a lot into this. Besides, wouldn't most of you prefer they spend those days working on the show. :p

They were there last year, but last year was also about 2 weeks after this one. At this point, they still have 3-4 scripts to finalize and probably some more casting to do, so they definitely don't have the time that they had previously.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom