• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brakke

Banned
Still trucking on my AFFC/ADWD re-read and noticed something that I'd forgotten about. The book has a lot of relgio-populist uprising stuff on low simmer. In addition to the Sparrows obviously: Benerro of the Red Temple in Volantis is riling up slaves likely to overthrow the Triarchs and support Dany; the Damphair disappears after the Kingsmoot, pledging to rile up the smallfolk of the Iron Islands to overthrow the godless Euron.

In the early parts of this season I thought that was going to be kind of a theme, but they sort of set the Free Cities Red God stuff aside and just gave time to the Sparrows. I sometimes wonder how this show would have played in more of a The Wire style. Like keep up the stories of the Starks and the Lannisters but then have a season here that's mostly about the Brotherhood Without Banners and Septon Maribald and Dick Crabb from Crackclaw Point the desolation of the smallfolk, then a season there about religio-populist uprisings, then a season more specifically devoted to Occupation as a concept, like set up Dany and fAegon doing occupations at the same time.

As it is they're shooting more for one seventy hour work; seven ten hour works could have been cool.

I almost feel this is by design, though. With Tywin out the picture, Westeros lacks any truly powerful, unifying figures.

Yeah, that's the whole reason fAegon even goes to Westeros.

Episode 10

Garbage finale really. Really showed up the poor narrative continuity and development. The context of Jon's murder was stupidly undercooked; Stannis's whole plot line had a boring conclusion; the Bolton's continue to be favoured by the Gods, Sansa and Theon's scene was anti-climatic; Arya scene was disgusting, ulterly repulsive; Brienne taking out Stannis was preposterous; Dany's transportation to the Dothraki Sea was utterly implausible and a stupid plot diversion, very deus ex (yeah, I know it is in the books. It is stupid)

All in all then this episode was a fitting conclusion to Season 5. They are making a meticulous, if rambling plot rather shit.

Speevy

Banned
The context for Jon's murder was Scooby Doo X Goodfellas.

You guys need to watch Jon's delivery when he said "Are you sure he's talkin' about Benjen?!"

Funniest thing Jon ever did.

Massa

Eh, they've made it every other year just fine. I just think they know at this point their presence would detract more from the conversation than it would add. Everyone would just want answers re: Stannis/Sansa/Dorne changes, why did you cut Aegon/Manderly/Greyjoys, etc. Stuff that everyone wants answers to, but there's probably no way to have a productive conversation about. Not having anyone from the writing staff present forces everyone to just focus the discussion on the actors and their thoughts on their characters.

Edit: Didn't realize they missed 2012. My bad. Still, I think there's probably some degree of calculation here.

The people that go to these are usually fans of the show not #AngryGotFans. It makes perfect sense they wouldn't have time to attend when season 6 will most likely be their busiest ever, given that they're writing more from scratch than ever.

http://thenewdaily.com.au/entertainment/2015/06/22/will-red-lady-revive-jon-snow/

Carice Van Houten:
“I was doing ADR the other day and then the producer was there and he was saying something that I’ve heard before, which is quite spectacular, for next year, which I really can’t say anything about,” the 38-year-old teased.

“You feel that she is concentrating more and more towards Jon Snow … there are slight hints that something’s going to happen.”

More fuel for the fire.

The people that go to these are usually fans of the show not #AngryGotFans. It makes perfect sense they wouldn't have time to attend when season 6 will most likely be their busiest ever, given that they're writing more from scratch than ever.

God help us. God help us all.

bengraven

Looks like they weren't part of the panel in 2012 but they were in 2013 and 2014. People are reading a lot into this. Besides, wouldn't most of you prefer they spend those days working on the show. :p

tumblr_m2jml6yw1Q1rp2zn0o2_500.gif

Speevy

Banned
"While you were out playing, I was busy flaying."
-Ramsay

"If I made a new vow, I technically wouldn't be breaking the old one."
-Brienne of Tarth

"Now that I'm blind, I can only see people I want to kill."
-Arya

"Hodar."
-Hodor

"I'm Reek! No I'm Theon! No I'm Reek! Shut up Reek! No, you shut up Theon!"
-Theon

"I crafted a plan that was bound to succeed no matter who prevailed. Sansa will be mine, dead or alive."
-Littlefinger

"Spiders can crawl anywhere, my lord. Up the wall, across the world. They spin their webs so quickly that no one can see them."
-Varys

"I am the mother of dragons! Get me my FUCKING dragons!"
-Dany

"Why do I have to marry Walder Frey's grandson?"
-Sansa, to Littlefinger

"You fucked our cousin. That's disgusting!"
-Jaime Lannister

"I will burn The Iron Islands to the ground!"
-Cersei Lannister

"I don't know what to do!"
-Tommen Baratheon

"You needed the bad pussy. Now you fuck us all at once."
-Tyene, talking to Bronn, motioning over to Ellaria AND her sisters

"So the only way I can see is when I'm a tree?"
-Bran

"Oh...my Gilly, it sure is hard learning about valyrian steel. You know what else is hard?"
-Samwell Tarly

"The north hasn't forgotten."
-Wyman Manderly before being flayed

Benioff-and-Weiss.jpg

Spoiler alert from Red Priestess audition tape for next season:
Sorry guys:

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/72048

It turns out Kinvara says Dany is The Red Priestess’ kind of ruler because she can’t be burned and her dragons like to set fire to non-believers.

But Varys points out that across the Narrow Sea in Westeros, another burn-y girl who follows The Lord of Light decided Stannis Baratheon was The One – and Stannis is now but a stain on the sword of a gigantic Tarth lady.

Kinvara retorts:

“Everything is the Lord’s will. Men and women make mistakes. Even honest servants of the Lord.”

Stannis did not miraculously survive.

Spoiler alert from Red Priestess audition tape for next season:
Sorry guys:

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/72048

It turns out Kinvara says Dany is The Red Priestess’ kind of ruler because she can’t be burned and her dragons like to set fire to non-believers.

But Varys points out that across the Narrow Sea in Westeros, another burn-y girl who follows The Lord of Light decided Stannis Baratheon was The One – and Stannis is now but a stain on the sword of a gigantic Tarth lady.

Kinvara retorts:

“Everything is the Lord’s will. Men and women make mistakes. Even honest servants of the Lord.”

Stannis did not miraculously survive.
It dissapoints me that they wouldn't just have Rila Fukushima resume the role she briefly popped up in for this.

Gnome

So is show Dany actually immune to fire? If so, what a dirty Mary Sue character. Dragons, immune to fire, no diarrhea. Bleh.

bengraven

Interesting. So they're replacing Red Priest Who's In Like Two Chapters In Between Several Boring Ones So I Forgot His Name But He's On A Boat With Victarion Jackson III with a female priestess?

It dissapoints me that they wouldn't just have Rila Fukushima resume the role she briefly popped up in for this.

I like that they're using a different person, but I wish they had used Rila for this character and had cast another one last year. I like the idea of many red priests everywhere. Especially on a show, you don't want to just show three (Mel, Thoros, newbie) and assume it's a major religion. I LOVE the idea of just seeing a random priestess in a city while they're walking through. Adds to the depth of the world.

In fact, I wish they had done this with the Tyroshi - show a random blue bearded or green haired person walking past occasionally.

Kain

Interesting. So they're replacing Red Priest Who's In Like Two Chapters In Between Several Boring Ones So I Forgot His Name But He's On A Boat With Victarion Jackson III with a female priestess?

Are you badmouthing my boy Moqorro? SMH

I'm afraid of season 6 too. I don't care much for spoilers of the latter books as much as their sloppy writing.

Massa

Are you badmouthing my boy Moqorro? SMH

I'm afraid of season 6 too. I don't care much for spoilers of the latter books as much as their sloppy writing.

I think there will be sloppy writing and there will be great writing. I mean, they're doing more in less than a year than GRRM does in five or more.

Yeah, in the show she is. In the 1st season, the extremely hot bath didn't hurt her, and didn't she stick her hand in fire and it didn't get burned? Coupled obviously with surviving the funeral pyre.

Speevy

Banned
"A little bird told me that Sansa Stark landed into a patch of snow along with Reek. Reek killed the kennel master's daughter. She was very upset, but Ramsay was probably going to kill her anyway for her jealousy. Jealousy bores him I hear."
-Varys

Kyougar

D&D probably doesn't even remember that Dany isn't fireproof.
They probably also thought that Asha was called Yara and saw the mistake too late. So they brought the bullshit reason that the audience would be confused with Asha and Osha.

Either they lucked into the Answer when GRRM asked them whos jon's Mother is or they had insider information.

Yeah, in the show she is. In the 1st season, the extremely hot bath didn't hurt her, and didn't she stick her hand in fire and it didn't get burned? Coupled obviously with surviving the funeral pyre.
She heated one of the dragon eggs and picked it up. It didn't burn her, but one of the handmaidens did and it burned her hands.

Zabka

Dany survives getting blasted by Drogon in ADWD. She has to be immune.

GRRM's quote about it being a one-time thing was from 16 years ago.

Massa

They probably also thought that Asha was called Yara and saw the mistake too late. So they brought the bullshit reason that the audience would be confused with Asha and Osha.

Either they lucked into the Answer when GRRM asked them whos jon's Mother is or they had insider information.

I can't tell if this is a joke post, that's why I love this thread.

Henkka

Banned
Dany survives getting blasted by Drogon in ADWD. She has to be immune.

GRRM's quote about it being a one-time thing was from 16 years ago.

This isn't true, I just checked. Drogon "spat black fire down at her", but Dany "darted underneath the flames".

A couple sentences earlier, Dany worries about him burning and eating her.

DueFiumi

Neo Member
That doesn't even say no to Dany. Reading comprehension is dead.

Yeah I realize that. But there's also this:
Granny: Do Targaryens become immune to fire once they "bond" to their dragons?
George_RR_Martin: Granny, thanks for asking that. It gives me a chance to clear up a common misconception. TARGARYENS ARE NOT IMMUNE TO FIRE! The birth of Dany's dragons was unique, magical, wonderous, a miracle. She is called The Unburnt because she walked into the flames and lived. But her brother sure as hell wasn't immune to that molten gold.
Revanshe: So she won't be able to do it again?
George_RR_Martin: Probably not.

From here: http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/449541.page?userfilterid=33891

Not sure if it's credible though. Can't find the actual Q&A anywhere.

EDIT: found it http://web.archive.org/web/20001005212114/eventhorizon.com/sfzine/chats/transcripts/031899.html

Zabka

The wiki must be wrong then. Looking at her last chapter in ADWD it's a mix. It starts with:

It took Dany half the morning to climb down. By the time she reached the bottom she was winded. Her muscles ached, and she felt as if she had the beginnings of a fever. The rocks had scraped her hands raw. They are better than they were, though, she decided as she picked at a broken blister. Her skin was pink and tender, and a pale milky fluid was leaking from her cracked palms, but her burns were healing.

But that sounds like it could be friction burns. Following that...

The fire burned away my hair, but else wise it did not touch me. It had been the same in Daznak’s Pit.

The sun grew hotter as it rose, and before long her head was pounding. Dany’s hair was growing out again, but slowly. “I need a hat,” she said aloud.

DueFiumi

Neo Member
The quote from the Q&A is over 15 years old. Either GRRM changed his mind, or it could be that Dany is somehow resistant to fire rather than immune. She definitely seems to have some sort of supernatural affinity to fire though.

Some social media data crunching on the days before and after the finale:

- Game of Thrones and Big Data

Not too much in here and it all seems pretty flimsy, but it could conceivably be something worth tracking in the future for the sake of amusement.
That’s right – your two favorite topics in one place! We all know big data is amazing, and the power we have today of tracking countless transactions can be used to predict financial crises, create cures for diseases and yes, to satisfy our curiosity about our favorite TV show. After tracking ~6 million social mentions related to Game of Thrones and their characters (and the possible misspells of their names – I bet you $100 you can’t spell the Mother of Dragon’s name right) across social media platforms (Twitter, Tumblr, Youtube & Blogs) for the days leading up to and past the season finale, the data tells us the following (with some of my opinions):

D20pL4S.jpg

There's a few more graphs and some dubious conclusions via the link.

"A little bird told me that Sansa Stark landed into a patch of snow along with Reek. Reek killed the kennel master's daughter. She was very upset, but Ramsay was probably going to kill her anyway for her jealousy. Jealousy bores him I hear."
-Varys

I lol'd at this, very nice.

To be fair, why would a fire priestess know that? It makes sense for people in Westeros/Essos to believe Dany cannot be burned. One of her titles is The Unburnt. Obviously we know she can be burned but only characters well versed in Targaryen history and magic would also know that - ie The Reader, Tyrion, the Hightower lord currently locked in his tower, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom