• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Breaking Bad had it's first two seasons.

The Wire had season 2 and 5.

Sopranos had 4 depending on who you ask 5/6.

This is just a few examples. These seasons aren't bad, just not good as the rest of the show.

UraMallas

Jack Bender doing some episodes has me excited. He did PHENOMENAL work on Lost.

His episodes include 'Walkabout', 'Through the Looking Glass' and 'The Constant'. He directed The Constant, you guys, c'mon.

Marz

This is just a few examples. These seasons aren't bad, just not good as the rest of the show.

Season 2 of the Wire was arguably the best season. Sobatka's fall was some Shakespeare level shit.

I watched the first episode of True Detective S2 last night and wanted more HBO, so started up GoT S3E03 (where I left off on my rewatch leading into S6) and I have to agree...such a great episode, from the Blackfish at the beginning to Jaime's hand removal at the end. I really can't remember any bad episodes here. Definitely where the series peaked (so far)

Episode 3 was pretty good, but 1, 2, 6, 7 and 10 were very sub-par that season imo. Season 5 had more episodes I enjoyed overall. I think that Season 3 was the second worst season after Season 2.

Moff

I think the reason season 2 is usually called the wire's worst season is because it feels so disconnected. of course it was an excellent season.

NeoGiff

Can I think The Wire season 2 is pretty good, but also be blinded by an unfathomable rage whenever Ziggy Sobotka is on screen?

Yes. He's the Obara Sand of The Wire (except that he's well-acted, has a purpose, and fits in with the already a established world).

Gnome

Season 2 of The Wire is better in retrospect, but during someones first and active viewing of it I can see why they might be turned off by it.

Forkball

011u1k9.png
What an awful signature.

"Look, I got GRRM's autograph!"
"Sure you did..."

Syder

Much prefer the way the book is setting things up, than the shows version.
Well yeah, because Jon is about to become an Oathbreaker. Also, the giant, Wun Wun, he brought back to Castle Black just fucking killed someone (Ser Patrek of King's Mountain).

The insurgent Brother's of the Night's Watch don't kill Jon with smug looks on their faces, (I'm looking at you Alliser Thorne) they do it with tears in their eyes.

Also, still FUCK OLLY

Geist-

This may be the best Charles Dance video ever: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3POYx6IeeI

slightly NSFW.

I would have watched 50 Shades if he was in it.

Kinky fuckery... X-D

I know I'm a bit late, but I didn't get a chance to put in my two cents for this season. This season was such a mixed bag for me. Hardhome for me was the best episode of GoT ever, but the rest of the season was such a disappointment that even with that episode, Season 5 is by far the worst season. They got rid of Jamie's redemption arc for an extremely lazy and boring segment in Dorne, they removed all of Sansa's character development so they would not have to insert Jeyne Poole into the story, and they even got rid of the big reasoning behind the Night Watch's betrayal (that he was going to break his oath and ride south).

And worst of all, they ruined Stannis' character. I mean, what the fucking hell were they thinking.

Speevy

Banned
This new season needs at least three positive (i.e. not the sand snakes) character additions to turn things around.

All should be actors with some skill, playing roles people actually care about.

Pope Francis Asks Forgiveness For Catholic Church's Persecution Of Waldensians

From this thread (warning, graphic descriptions)

Little children were torn from the arms of their mothers, clasped by their tiny feet, and their heads dashed against the rocks; or were held between two soldiers and their quivering limbs torn up by main force. Their mangled bodies were then thrown on the highways or fields, to be devoured by beasts. The sick and the aged were burned alive in their dwellings. Some had their hands and arms and legs lopped off, and fire applied to the severed parts to staunch the bleeding and prolong their suffering. Some were flayed alive, some were roasted alive, some disemboweled; or tied to trees in their own orchards, and their hearts cut out. Some were horribly mutilated, and of others the brains were boiled and eaten by these cannibals. Some were fastened down into the furrows of their own fields, and ploughed into the soil as men plough manure into it. Others were buried alive. Fathers were marched to death with the heads of their sons suspended round their necks. Parents were compelled to look on while their children were first outraged [raped], then massacred, before being themselves permitted to die.[25]

I know perhaps that this is inappropriate for this thread, but I feel this is the perfect riposte to those to say they've had enough of the cruelty in GoT. People have done terrible, horrible things for centuries to each other. I'm not claiming GoT is some historical tome, rather that GRRM tells the world as it is, not as we want it to be. GoT is clearly inspired by both fantasy and medieval Europe, and borrows heavily from a history of shocking human actions.

I know perhaps that this is inappropriate for this thread, but I feel this is the perfect riposte to those to say they've had enough of the cruelty in GoT. People have done terrible, horrible things for centuries to each other. I'm not claiming GoT is some historical tome, rather that GRRM tells the world as it is, not as we want it to be. GoT is clearly inspired by both fantasy and medieval Europe, and borrows heavily from a history of shocking human actions.

No no, D&D are just sick in the head and enjoy rape.

Forkball

Excited to see the Game of Thrones cast on Conan at Comic Con. Conan seems to be a big fan of the show and having them all together in the Cone Zone should be hilarious.
tumblr_nqr9toTXbU1qj6s0vo1_500.jpg

tumblr_nqmgenr3BO1u7pj5do1_540.jpg

tumblr_nqpydovBXV1u7pj5do1_1280.jpg

Went to catholic school and not even once they've mentioned this kind of stuff. No surprise there

mantidor

I can't talk for the books but the show is just as partial as other works based on medieval Europe, just because it dwells in rape and torture it doesn't make it any more "real", if anything it makes it kind of cartoonish. Believe it or not even if things like human rights were nonexistant back then, not all women in medieval Europe were raped, they also worked in places other than brothels or the court. The majority of them even.

That is besides the point behind the critics though, the issue is not talking about sexual violence and violence in general in war settings, it's how you deal with them, the show has so far failed to treat the topic seriously, for it its just a trope, with some exceptions.

Breaking Bad also had its Season 5A. Absolutely detested that one - it was a struggle to plow through.

Brakke

Banned
Still think that's Myrcella-ish hair. It is gold, just showing red because of the light. Also Sansa's is usually straighter. Myrcella's breaks off into locks more:

150514-ep46-myrcella-1024-1024x576.jpg

IT'S WEIRD EITHER WAY THO.

NeoGiff

Guys, I don't know what actors (if any) will be at TitanCon this year, but give me some GAF-inspired interview questions to ask.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom