• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Euron

You actually just made me go check to make sure the movie wasn't being directed by some Joakim-Mogren-style, unheard-of, first-time director, because I wanted this theory to be true. And Guy Pearce had shown up as a very handsome Howland Reed to reveal the truth about everything. It'd be so great.
I'm not sure who Martin Koolhoven is but according to IMDB he's won awards for past movies. Movies range from Schnitzel Paradise to Oorlogswinter.

To dig even deeper into this conspiracy hole, what if he's the director for the episode where Melisandre revives Jon and this is how they're covering it up?

Guys, I have a theory.

Coldhands is actually a resurrected Jon, who has gone back in time by the power of the Lord of Light. This explains why he helps Sam and Bran, because they are his friend and brother, respectively. This also explains why he conceals his face: he doesn't want them to recognize him. It explains why he doesn't want Sam to tell Jon about Bran: if he had, Jon would have left his post, and thus not have become lord commander, and eventually killed by his brothers, resurrected and turned into Coldhands, which would have caused a time paradox.

Finally, it explains why Kit Harrington has signed up for a movie. Since Coldhands was cut from the series, he is no longer needed in the show universe, and Kit can move on to other roles.

Massa

^ you just reminded me of a nightmare I once had where the big twist in ASOIAF was that time was screwed up and characters were interacting with future/past versions of themselves.

Brakke

Banned
^ you just reminded me of a nightmare I once had where the big twist in ASOIAF was that time was screwed up and characters were interacting with future/past versions of themselves.

I have had this same thought. Some nonsense about how the seasons are so fucked because people keep messing around with the timeline.

Speevy

Banned
Jeremy Podeswa (Episodes 1 & 2):

rsz_noooooo_0.jpg

Iksenpets

Banned

EktorOni

Jeremy Podeswa (Episodes 1 & 2):

rsz_noooooo_0.jpg

Man, Podeswa always churned out some excellent episodes in Boardwalk Empire, yet...

Last season, I loved "Kill the Boy", but absolutely hated "Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken". One was everything the other wasn't, and that inconsistency threw me off big time (and I'm aware he shares blame with Cogman in this respect). We'll see.

Man, Podeswa always churned out some excellent episodes in Boardwalk Empire, yet...

Last season, I loved "Kill the Boy", but absolutely hated "Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken". One was everything the other wasn't, and that inconsistency threw me off big time (and I'm aware he shares blame with Cogman in this respect). We'll see.

It was pretty startling how different those episodes were in many aspects with Cogman and Podeswa both credited for them.

I suppose it doesn't mean a ton with the way the show is produced though...

Lothar

Banned

What was wrong Unbowed, Unbent, and Unbroken from a director perspective? Even if you don't like the story of it, I thought it was directed well. The dread and scariness for all the Winterfell stuff was incredible.

Speevy

Banned
What was wrong Unbowed, Unbent, and Unbroken from a director perspective? Even if you don't like the story of it, I thought it was directed well. The dread and scariness for all the Winterfell stuff was incredible.

Unless they just forced everyone to leave the water gardens before filming was completed, I'd say any director who would say that's good enough deserves criticism.

Lothar

Banned
Unless they just forced everyone to leave the water gardens before filming was completed, I'd say any director who would say that's good enough deserves criticism.

Oh, that's the episode with the Dorne fight? Never mind. Yeah, that was the worst ever.

That's the location that they apparently had a week to film all the scenes there, if that's true that certainly explains why the fight scene was so poor.

Speevy

Banned
I don't even understand how directing works in this show.

Do they have all the actors from an episode located in one place, and film it all there? Do they ship the director around?

Do they have all the actors from an episode located in one place, and film it all there? Do they ship the director around?

They ship the directors around. Two crews filming at all times, I think the general idea is they film all their shots for a single location in a schedule block and then move to the next location for another filming block (with two crews doing this simultaneously).

Iksenpets

Banned

Pretty much. I think there are days where you have multiple directors on set basically trading off scenes with one another on the same group of actors. It's really weird. It seems like it would all be more efficient if there were just five directors for the season and we didn't bother assigning them each specific episodes, but I guess that would fall afoul of all sorts of union rules and stuff.

Speevy

Banned
Imagine if you had an egomaniac director, then they gave you an actor's director, then a director who just didn't give a shit about anything.

duckroll

Imagine if you had an egomaniac director, then they gave you an actor's director, then a director who just didn't give a shit about anything.

There are generally no "egomaniac" directors working on TV shows like this. TV directors are well aware that their job is to manage the shoot and get things done. If there are major decisions to be made, the showrunners are part of the conversation. In the case of GoT, D&D would be closer to the idea of "directors" for a feature film than the episode directors.

Speevy

Banned
There are generally no "egomaniac" directors working on TV shows like this. TV directors are well aware that their job is to manage the shoot and get things done. If there are major decisions to be made, the showrunners are part of the conversation. In the case of GoT, D&D would be closer to the idea of "directors" for a feature film than the episode directors.

So when we give directors praise for managing a great episode, we're probably giving a bit too much credit?

duckroll

So when we give directors praise for managing a great episode, we're probably giving a bit too much credit?

I guess that depends on what is being praised? Directors still put in work. You don't just snap your fingers together and make stuff magically appear on film. It's a lot of hard work coordinating stuff. Different directors might also have a different approach to how to shoot certain scenes. But when it comes to the day to day operation and how the cast is communicated with, I can't imagine there being a huge difference. The tone of the production is probably pretty consistent regardless who the director of the episode is.

Massa

Neil Marshall made Blackwater significantly better by including more Stannis, it was also his idea to make him lead the attack. That wasn't on the original GRRM script.

http://watchersonthewall.com/almeri...thrones-season-6-extras-casting-on-july-9-10/

So more confirmation of the desert filming for next season. I never would have thought of this back when this was first coming out, but given some of the casting info
could they be using it for the Tower of Joy sequence? CG in some mountains in the background and add in the tower itself, and they'd be pretty close to my mental image for that location.
I was thinking this too.

bengraven

interesting.

Saw on Twitter.

https://meereeneseblot.wordpress.com/essays/
In a recent Q+A, he said that Adam Feldman "got it"
Edit: got this from westeros' twitter

A bit of summary:

So, what was the point of Dany’s sojourn in Meereen? Many just dismiss it as wholly filler, without any real purpose at all except to pad out the books. Others think that Dany as a character “regressed,” returning to a state of incompetence, naivete, and passivity. Others think the point was about giving Dany “practice” ruling, so she could make mistakes, and eventually become a better ruler when she reaches Westeros.
Here’s why all these interpretations miss the point: “The human heart in conflict with itself is the only thing worth writing about.” –George R. R. Martin
Martin has paraphrased this quote from William Faulkner time and time again in interviews, yet many readers haven’t fully internalized it. It means Martin is not interested in merely showing characters “leveling up,” like a video game, progressing from incompetent naif to awesome badass. His main interest is in exploring his characters’ values. And throughout the series, he creates drama by forcing characters to choose between their core values — love vs. duty, honor vs. pragmatism, vows vs. innocent life.
With that in mind, a closer look reveals that Dany’s plotline in Meereen has been very cleverly designed as a series of tests of her values, and one value in particular. Each test is designed to ask — how far will Dany go to make peace and protect innocent life? With nearly every new chapter, Dany is asked to give up something else she wants or desires, for the good of the Meereenese people. The use of her dragons. A share of power in Meereen. Some of her anti-slavery reforms. Her desire for vengeance. Her desire to right every wrong she sees. Her distaste for cultural practices she finds abhorrent. Her sexual autonomy. Her happiness. Her pride. Her chance at Westeros.
Dany’s arc is revealed in how she responds to these tests, and how she tries to balance her moral ideals against her own darker impulses and desires. Part of Dany genuinely does want peace, and wants to sacrifice a great deal to protect innocent life. But another part of her would rather she take what she wants, through fire and blood.
The main drama of the Meereen plotline lies in Dany’s mind and in her choices. On the surface she is struggling with the Meereenese — but her most crucial struggle is with herself. And the outcome of this struggle will have momentous consequences for Westeros.

So basically Myreen is like Dany just started an RPG about being queen and she's filling out her traits form.

And Ned tearing it down was him castrating someone?

It's him taking away Lyanna from her Tower of Joy and her being upset at him and...hysterical.

Speevy

Banned
I think that if they actually managed to do a really good Tower of Joy sequence, it wouldn't really matter what else happened in the season.

If they did it really badly though, well...

interesting.

Saw on Twitter.

https://meereeneseblot.wordpress.com/essays/
In a recent Q+A, he said that Adam Feldman "got it"
Edit: got this from westeros' twitter

A bit of summary:

So basically Myreen is like Dany just started an RPG about being queen and she's filling out her traits form.

It's him taking away Lyanna from her Tower of Joy and her being upset at him and...hysterical.

Yup, saw that on twitter. I remember reading the essay when it first came out. It's definitely very well argued. I still don't think Dany's ADWD made for compelling reading, and it really sucked momentum out of the book...but towards the end it gets very compelling. I definitely think Barristan got played, hard.

It's cool to hear Martin has read stuff like that. One of the best things about the TWOW wait is that many great theories and essays have popped up. It's also good to hear (again) that Martin is very aware of the complaints about ADWD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom