• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ikael

Jeremy Podeswa (Episodes 1 & 2):

rsz_noooooo_0.jpg

Not even Alfred Hitchcock could make a shitty script work just by sheer directorial magic. Write better, obtain a better series (and episodes).

Speevy

Banned
I'm mostly joking about Poneswa. He did direct one episode from Rome's stellar first season.

If this season's first episode includes the Tower of Joy sequence, he really needs to summon whatever directorial magic he has.

Of course you're right though. D&D bear all blame for the story.

bengraven

Yup, saw that on twitter. I remember reading the essay when it first came out. It's definitely very well argued. I still don't think Dany's ADWD made for compelling reading, and it really sucked momentum out of the book...but towards the end it gets very compelling. I definitely think Barristan got played, hard.
stt
It's cool to hear Martin has read stuff like that. One of the best things about the TWOW wait is that many great theories and essays have popped up. It's also good to hear (again) that Martin is very aware of the complaints about ADWD.

I think it's one of the individual plots whose purpose will be better analyzed once all books are out.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
Yup, saw that on twitter. I remember reading the essay when it first came out. It's definitely very well argued. I still don't think Dany's ADWD made for compelling reading, and it really sucked momentum out of the book...but towards the end it gets very compelling. I definitely think Barristan got played, hard.

It's cool to hear Martin has read stuff like that. One of the best things about the TWOW wait is that many great theories and essays have popped up. It's also good to hear (again) that Martin is very aware of the complaints about ADWD.
I think they could have made Dany's plot in the show so much better if they could have gotten the whole peace vs. war concept better, along with Darrio vs. Hizdar, but the show half baked it, though I do realise it's just too complicated to do an except translation. I really do appreciate her arc a lot more though in the book after reading the essay. That along with Dorne's essay made me fall in love with the series even more.

FootballFan

One of the most terrible of seasons. How they managed to do it is an art in of itself.
GRRM should have waited until he finished writing the books before shopping it out or entertaining the idea of an adaptation. He sullied his life's work by letting it get butchered on TV.

NeoGiff

One of the most terrible of seasons. How they managed to do it is an art in of itself.
GRRM should have waited until he finished writing the books before shopping it out or entertaining the idea of an adaptation. He sullied his life's work by letting it get butchered on TV.

Hello, friend!

Ratrat

I'd be pretty interested in knowing Grrms true feelings on the last season. On one hand he's worked in television before and understands the need to rework the material. On the other hand it's season 5.

cj_iwakura

I'd be pretty interested in knowing Grrms true feelings on the last season. On one hand he's worked in television before and understands the need to rework the material. On the other hand it's season 5.

I think the fact that he wasn't involved in this one much is pretty telling, whether or not he really has been devoted to TWOW.

Even the best shows in existence have had they're mediocre seasons, let's just hope D&D can step it up for the last 2 seasons. And if George is unhappy with how Season 5 was handled then maybe he should think about investing more time in the show.

Wow, this is over-exaggerating a lot. It was still easily one of the best TV seasons of the year (and is personally my third favourite GoT season). You haven't watched many shows if you think this one was "one of the most terrible". Even some other great shows had seasons that were not as liked as the others (still good though), like The Wire's seasons 2 & 5. Hardhome alone was easily the best hour of TV of the entire year so far, and one of the show's grandest episodes. The Dance of Dragons and Mother's Mercy were damn good too, and High Sparrow, Kill the Boy and The Gift were very solid!

Moff

I am sure he is very happy that he can enjoy that tremendous fame and fortune in his 60s and not his 80s. given the shows extreme success, that has peaked so far with season 5, I really think he doesn't care nearly as much about "sullying" his work as much as those few nerds online.

Speevy

Banned
Let me let you guys know of a phenomenon that has touched this show already, and will make its presence known even more in the last seasons.

When you take a show (ANY show) and kill off its most interesting characters, the show becomes less interesting as a result. No shit, right?

What isn't apparent is that the show becomes this thing that only a true fan of it will appreciate.

It's like when you love your favorite band, so you buy their hit CD. 20 years later, they may be playing tiny venues and releasing CDs that sell very few copies. Most people only remember that first big CD, but you've been with them since the beginning, through thick and thin.

I hope I'm wrong, but it seems like with the latter seasons focusing on the youngest characters and the cast contracting in size, we'll be like the fans that stuck with that band.

Game of Thrones is remarkably different because it can't wrap up in a small way, what with the whitewalker vs. human conflict coming. This is another reason why they need a few more veteran actors to make up for all they have lost.

D and D need to ask one important question going forward. "Would X character make Y decision in the books?" If the answer is no, it shouldn't be in the show because the fans who are interested in both won't like it.

takriel

Let me let you guys know of a phenomenon that has touched this show already, and will make its presence known even more in the last seasons.

When you take a show (ANY show) and kill off its most interesting characters, the show becomes less interesting as a result. No shit, right?

What isn't apparent is that the show becomes this thing that only a true fan of it will appreciate.

It's like when you love your favorite band, so you buy their hit CD. 20 years later, they may be playing tiny venues and releasing CDs that sell very few copies. Most people only remember that first big CD, but you've been with them since the beginning, through thick and thin.

I hope I'm wrong, but it seems like with the latter seasons focusing on the youngest characters and the cast contracting in size, we'll be like the fans that stuck with that band.

Game of Thrones is remarkably different because it can't wrap up in a small way, what with the whitewalker vs. human conflict coming. This is another reason why they need a few more veteran actors to make up for all they have lost.

D and D need to ask one important question going forward. "Would X character make Y decision in the books?" If the answer is no, it shouldn't be in the show because the fans who are interested in both won't like it.

But GoT is very popular right now.

If anything, it's the true fans, the minority, that aren't as pleased with the latest season. The mainstream watchers love what they get.

I doubt Martin liked this season but at the same time he understands the demands of television. At this point the show seems more interested in mining set pieces and big moments from the book, completely out of context. That will be even easier for them to do next season when they're basically writing based on a bullet point outline of TWOW.

The good news is that this debacle seems to have lit a fire in Martin. He has seemed a lot more energized and positive over the last year or so, and I definitely think he's at the very least past the 1000 MS point; 500 MS to go, basically. He seems quite focused on finishing before or during S6.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
Breaking Bad didn't.

And the bad season of GoT was already Season 2.
Eh, I think Season 2, was pretty good, but might be better than Season 5. Season 5 has a lot more moments, but some of the questionable stuff really brings it down below a boring Season 2, which was really solid.

Kain

Almería (Spain) a filming location for season 6?

You know all the westerns Clint Eastwood & Morricone used to do in the 60s? Well, they were filmed exactly there. That place is a desert, it's THE desert. Maybe they will shoot Dorne scenes not in Northern Island?

I don't know what else could they be shooting there, the Dothraki see is a field of grass, and I assure you, there is absolutely no grass there xD

I don't remember any other desert areas other than Dorne in the books.

Lol at the episode 7 drop.

That was due to Memorial Day. There is a reason why they skipped airing anything on that weekend for Seasons 3 and 4. Since Season 5 didn't have an absolutely momentous episode that would have aired on the day (like The Rains of Castamere for S3 and The Mountain and the Viper for S4), I think they decided to just go forward with it.

That episode had VERY strong live + 3 day numbers, according to reports.

Euron

I really think there should be big budget movies based on Robert's Rebellion and the Greyjoy Rebellion. The former has many big moments that people have wanted to see come to life for years and the latter is basically the Expendables of Westeros. If HBO knew the series would be as big as it is now maybe they would have released the former before Season 1.

As good as an episodic series can be and how great Blackwater, Castle Black, and Hardhome turned out, I believe that only a movie can really do something like Robert's Rebellion justice. Too many times has the show been hurt by budget constraints. Maybe they'll just make the big finale into a full length movie. I saw that suggested before and GRRM is certainly for it.

Sean C

I really think there should be big budget movies based on Robert's Rebellion and the Greyjoy Rebellion. The former has many big moments that people have wanted to see come to life for years and the latter is basically the Expendables of Westeros. If HBO knew the series would be as big as it is now maybe they would have released the former before Season 1.
Robert's Rebellion is not designed to be a story in its own right, it's the backstory to the present story. Moreover, any such movie, to conclude in a remotely satisfying way, would have to fully resolve the story of Lyanna.

Thaedolus

Season 3 was fantastic. Season 5 was the only "bad" season.

I watched the first episode of True Detective S2 last night and wanted more HBO, so started up GoT S3E03 (where I left off on my rewatch leading into S6) and I have to agree...such a great episode, from the Blackfish at the beginning to Jaime's hand removal at the end. I really can't remember any bad episodes here. Definitely where the series peaked (so far)

I watched the first episode of True Detective S2 last night and wanted more HBO, so started up GoT S3E03 (where I left off on my rewatch leading into S6) and I have to agree...such a great episode, from the Blackfish at the beginning to Jaime's hand removal at the end. I really can't remember any bad episodes here. Definitely where the series peaked (so far)

I think that was a response about The Wire, although I thought GoT S3 was mostly great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom