• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
zpjcD.gif

I think he just confirmed that Winds isn't going to be out before Season 6. I read that. Can't YOU read that, where I read that?

WINTER IS NEVER COMING

NEVER

There is no Winter! There's never been any Winter. Winter is just a myth.

zpjcD.gif

I think he just confirmed that Winds isn't going to be out before Season 6. I read that. Can't YOU read that, where I read that?

WINTER IS NEVER COMING

NEVER

I watched the Q&A and didn't get that impression at all. Jaime going to Dorne, Ramsay marrying Sansa, Barristan dying like that, etc...aren't going to happen in the books, and cannot happen because the characters have entirely different arcs and are in different places. That's all he was saying.

The stories have diverged so much that the show won't spoil as much as I originally assumed it would. However I expect the show to reach major plot points eventually. They're doing the Tower Of Joy next season...I'm pretty sure the show will reveal R+L=J as well. I think it's very likely that Cersei and Tommen will die in TWOW...if so I'd imagine S6 will get there too.

He's clearly trying to beat the show to the punch. I'm the overly optimistic dude here but I'm not sure I believe he can finish in time. Regardless I definitely think the book will be out in 2016. And IF he wants it out in April he has to finish before mid January...

A couple of things I don't think were posted:

Alan Taylor wants to return to direct
"I want to [direct an episode]. I keep telling them I want to. We actually had a conversation -- David and Dan and I -- about next season. It's just making it happen for real," he says.

"It was Season 6 that we were talking about, and it wasn't going to happen. I wanted it to happen, but it's just a schedule thing. I'll keep pinning my hopes on the next season."

Jack Bender talks directing season 6
“(Game of Thrones showrunners) Dan Weiss and David Benioff are enormously brilliant and unpretentious guys, and I know they communicate closely” with author Martin, Bender told BGR, adding that the degree to which the material deviates from or goes beyond the books isn’t as much of a concern for him.

“This is how I look at it. As a director on Lost, for example, I liked to say we get recipes from (Lost showrunners) Damon Lindelof and Carlton Cuse. Then, me and the writers and the rest of the team, we’d cook the meal. That’s always how I saw the metaphor.”

Showaddy

Isn't Dickon supposed to be fit like his dad? I'm guessing this is Evil Hot Pie for the new Evil Brotherhood.

Yeah casting call specified
"in his early to mid-20’s. Athletic, a good hunter, an excellent swordsman, manly, not particularly bright but the favourite child of the father."

Not sure that guy fits the bit to be honest.

hoos30

I watched the Q&A and didn't get that impression at all. Jaime going to Dorne, Ramsay marrying Sansa, Barristan dying like that, etc...aren't going to happen in the books, and cannot happen because the characters have entirely different arcs and are in different places. That's all he was saying.

The stories have diverged so much that the show won't spoil as much as I originally assumed it would. However I expect the show to reach major plot points eventually. They're doing the Tower Of Joy next season...I'm pretty sure the show will reveal R+L=J as well. I think it's very likely that Cersei and Tommen will die in TWOW...if so I'd imagine S6 will get there too.

He's clearly trying to beat the show to the punch. I'm the overly optimistic dude here but I'm not sure I believe he can finish in time. Regardless I definitely think the book will be out in 2016. And IF he wants it out in April he has to finish before mid January...

Not gonna happen.

Moff

Was Rome actually considered good? I watched it and considered it spectacularly mediocre.

it was and is considered to be one of the best shows ever. it's certiainly in my top 5, up there with the sopranos and the wire.
I should definitely give it a rewatch though.

Euron

I keep telling myself I'm going to watch Rome but I don't think I can handle another show like Freaks and Geeks where it ends far too early.

ObligitoryDontWatchFireflyEver

Was Rome actually considered good? I watched it and considered it spectacularly mediocre.

When the acting, set design, costume design, writing, story and character development are all top class, then yeah, a show can be considered good. Maybe not in your book though.

bengraven

Speaking of Rome, found Season 1 at Goodwill for 6 bucks a few weeks ago.

I've actually watched only the first half of the season. Watched it while the show was on the air, watched it when it was on DVD, for some reason post-Cleopatra I get hung up and can't watch it.

I need to try another marathon.

I keep telling myself I'm going to watch Rome but I don't think I can handle another show like Freaks and Geeks where it ends far too early.

ObligitoryDontWatchFireflyEver

It's not so bad. They got word it wasn't going to get a third season while still writing season 2 so there is an ending at least. It kind of fasts forwards through history the last few episodes but it doesn't really leave you hanging or anything.

Speevy

Banned

It's one of the greatest shows ever made. It had grand production values before Game of Thrones was even thought of as a television show, and it used them to great effect along with the actors. It had expert pacing, style, and heightened drama. It told a well-worn story with characters you felt like you knew, not just because of history but because of the actors who portrayed them. The writing in particular is terrific and takes a lot of bloody, violent events and actually makes them fun.

I hate to compare Rome to GoT in the GoT thread because I still love GoT, but Rome compares very favorably in a few key areas.

For one, it has a beautiful, cohesive soundtrack that brings whole scenes to life, rather than just playing a single theme every time a certain character does something.

Its set design is unmatched. Comparing the relatively bland house banners and rags that adorn everyone in GoT, people in Rome have hundreds of different clothing types.

Rome actually had a battle sequence in its second season that rivals in terms of scope anything you see in GoT. It may not have the heightened drama of Blackwater, but all things considered, they did it really well.

Rome was cancelled because it ran over budget and wasn't as popular, but it used that budget to stunning effect. In Rome, they conveyed a huge number of events that were happening to famous political figures AND common people without wasting time, or replaying the same story beats. Every character was portrayed as very human alongside their slimy demeanor, and there are NO "good" characters on Rome. The final battle was between a snake and an even bigger snake. Rome did that first too.

In Game of Thrones, you have hundreds of millions of dollars that they spend on everything to convey all these locations across continents with many characters and families struggling for power or to find someone/seek revenge.

It usually goes something like this

-Character somewhere against their will to provide a human side for the incomprehensible monsters
-Two characters traveling the countryside or sitting in a room to provide exposition
-Characters traveling with an army
-Big event that more or less serves as a culmination of all the exposition or traveling

Rome did all of these things, but also unraveled the humanity and griminess of its world. It took big characters and made them small, and made them big again, often in the same episode.

Game of Thrones has so much, and often does so little with it.
Rome had (relatively) so little, and did so much with it.

Unlike Rome, you often get the sense that the characters in Game of Thrones are fighting just so they can fight some more. In Rome, characters wanted peace and stability. They talked with their enemies because like people, they probably realized that talking is preferable to fighting.

I have never gotten the sense that there are places in Westeros where people don't get killed by the thousands at every second of every day.

In Rome, events are being depicted that actually consisted (in real life) of men being slaughtered by the thousands. Yet I was able to learn about an ex-soldier who had to take up the butchering trade to keep himself busy, a noble daughter who had been passed around to various noblemen like a prostitute because of politics/conflict (sound familiar? only they didn't botch it like they did Sansa), and a brutish old soldier who didn't know how to do anything but fight, and this was his DOWNFALL, not his strength (like it is with Ramsay).

Rome is not without its faults. Some events are rushed, but I can't blame them because they had to take everything they had been planning for a 5+ season run and cram it into about 5 episodes, and they actually did it as well as could have been expected. It also takes so many liberties with actual history that you can't correctly call it a historical drama in any sense. It's historical fiction.

It's clear to me now that over the past two seasons, Game of Thrones has been getting by on two things: Great acting and great spectacle. The storytelling is good, but it doesn't match the acting or the spectacle. They even took moments that were iconic in the books (Tyrion killing Shae/Tywin) and made them fairly tame and without any real tension.

In conclusion, I'm sure the people who ran Rome would have KILLED to have even a quarter of the terrific locations and rich background story. All they had was some well-trodden history and a couple dozen actors to bring some flavor to it all.

Watch "The Spoils". There's a scene in there that actually made me jump up and cheer, like if I were at a sporting event. There are great scenes in Game of Thrones, but the vast majority happen with the least amount of tension possible. You're already pretty sure of their outcome beforehand because you've been trained to believe that everything sucks, and nothing good ever happens unless good characters are killing someone bad for revenge.

In conclusion, comparing Rome directly to Game of Thrones is perhaps not fair. Their aims are different. Their source material is different. Their cast and crew are different. But everything Rome does demonstrably better than Game of Thrones is SO fixable. GoT can do anything it wants with the characters (clearly), and could have made us care about them as much as I care about Titus Pullo and Lucius Vorenus.

This was a show that was initially about Caesar's rise and fall, and we all know how that turned out. So why was I still compelled by the second season? Because they created sensible storylines and raised the stakes rather than lowering them.

First season is good. Second season is weak, although it's not entirely the show's fault. HBO informed the writers there would be no S3 during production of S2 so it has a very rushed feel. IIRC the original plan was for the show to go all the way to Jesus and Pontius Pilate.

Speevy

Banned
First season is good. Second season is weak, although it's not entirely the show's fault. HBO informed the writers there would be no S3 during production of S2 so it has a very rushed feel. IIRC the original plan was for the show to go all the way to Jesus and Pontius Pilate.

Season 2 still retains the core story elements though, which is different from this show's season 5 because they just diverted because they didn't like the source material.

James Purefoy deserved an Emmy for that second season. He basically ran the main storyline by himself.

So... I found something of interest, relevant to next season and the Jon Snow discussion.

Interview of the show creators, Kit Harrington and John Bradley at Oxford, earlier this year, shortly before season 5 aired.

https://youtu.be/TfvVluNxujc?t=22m2s

The question asked was, who would you want to be, in the universe?

Kit answers he'd like to be a warg, project into a wolf (prompting laughter).

DB Weiss quickly interjects, saying: "Season 6!". A joke within the joke, I believe. Appears to be joking, but in truth the joke could be that it will indeed happen.

NeoGiff

As relevant as that seemed when it was uploaded (months ago), I don't see Jon warging in the show, regardless of whether or not he does in the books.

gutshot

Upon finishing ADWD nearly four years ago, I was totally anticipating the day Kit Harington's hair ends up spoiling Jon Snow's ultimate fate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom