• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iksenpets

Banned
As relevant as that seemed when it was uploaded (months ago), I don't see Jon warging in the show, regardless of whether or not he does in the books.

I'm 90% convinced that all non-Bran warging is out. The only thing that gives me pause is that they went ahead with Arya's blindness, which is a kind of silly plot device to help Arya develop her powers in the books, but would be a ridiculously silly plot device if there's no warging present at all.

So... I found something of interest, relevant to next season and the Jon Snow discussion.

Interview of the show creators, Kit Harrington and John Bradley at Oxford, earlier this year, shortly before season 5 aired.

https://youtu.be/TfvVluNxujc?t=22m2s

The question asked was, who would you want to be, in the universe?

Kit answers he'd like to be a warg, project into a wolf (prompting laughter).

DB Weiss quickly interjects, saying: "Season 6!". A joke within the joke, I believe. Appears to be joking, but in truth the joke could be that it will indeed happen.

Wow, I came here to post just this.

I guess I'm not sure how this isn't the most relevant piece of information in deciding Jon Snow's show fate. Instead all the talk is about his hair (yes, I understand why this would be telling).

Simply put, you have an interview from a few months ago where Kit Harington says he wants his character to warg into a wolf and D&D literally respond with, "Two words: Season 6!" Then he dies in the Season 5 finale (as in the books, where his resurrection is GRRM's most poorly kept secret), which provides the most overt catalyst for his warging in the show (a warg's "second life" inside a beast upon the perishing of their human body is established book canon). Suddenly this explicit admission isn't relevant?

Mesa Roldán confirmed as a Game of Thrones season 6 location

Tower of joy get hype

Mesa-Roldan-tower.jpg

Just make him shave, shorten his hair, and put on some make up and it'll be fine. I'd rather see a less believable(in age) young Ned played by Sean Bean than a more believably aged Ned played by a different actor.

I am more that if they got Sean Bean that would be the 100% surety for ToJ scene. But no news on that yet.

Iksenpets

Banned
Just make him shave, shorten his hair, and put on some make up and it'll be fine. I'd rather see a less believable(in age) young Ned played by Sean Bean than a more believably aged Ned played by a different actor.

Yeah, I'd rather they reuse Sean Bean and have us all just pretend he's younger than have some other guy in a scene that's awkwardly constructed to remind us that this is actually Ned Stark.

And that is a hell of a lot of Spanish filming. I did not expect them to go so heavy on that. One of the cities is almost certainly Oldtown, and then filming for Meereen, and I guess the Dothraki Sea stuff is going to be in Spain, too. And with this much Spain, I have to think that we're revisiting Dorne in some fashion beyond just the Tower of Joy.

Moff

I think I'm more interested in who they cast for ned than euron. I really hope they make sean bean happen somehow. it could also be very interesting who they pick for howland reed and if he will appear as an old man as well.

happy to see the show keeps breaking rating records, pretty much everywhere I read non-book readers loved the season.

I think I'm more interested in who they cast for ned than euron. I really hope they make sean bean happen somehow. it could also be very interesting who they pick for howland reed and if he will appear as an old man as well.

happy to see the show keeps breaking rating records, pretty much everywhere I read non-book readers loved the season.

Mayhaps they will de-age him digitally. It's pretty convincing now.

No.

eaEmHvl.jpg

M'ask you sumthin' Arthur Dayne.

Seriously though, I guess he means Rick (Andrew Lincoln)? No way he would sign up for a minor part in a different TV show when he's still alive in his own.

Besides, we're saving him for Aragorn's long lost twin in Peter Jackson's The Hobbit 4: This Time It's Closer To The Lord of the Rings So We Can Have More Of That Cast Back

Euron

Kit in platinum wig = Rhaegar.
Maisie = Lyanna because Arya is said to look like her.

Jon/Arya shippers get what they want. :p
If they're giving the fans what they want then Howland Reed will be played by Jonathan Pryce in a wig.

Turin

Banned
Just get Sean Bean to lose some weight and make up will take care of the rest. He's been wanting to do some flashback scenes.

It'd be amazing if they could get Eva Green to play Lyanna but alas that's impossible now.

Just get Sean Bean to lose some weight and make up will take care of the rest. He's been wanting to do some flashback scenes.

It'd be amazing if they could get Eva Green to play Lyanna but alas that's impossible now.

oh wow, that would be cool.

Why do you say it's impossible? Because she's older than Lyanna now?

oh wow, that would be cool.

Why do you say it's impossible? Because she's older than Lyanna now?

1. She's the lead on Penny Dreadful, on a different network.
2. If she was ever going to take a role on a show as massive as Game of Thrones she'd never take a minor, 1 scene role in a flashback sequence.

bengraven

Ewan MacGregor for Howland Reed. He'll bring Jon to Ned in Dorn, then bring Jon's SISTER to House Tyrell in Highgarden to be raised by Senator Mace, who is leading a rebellion secretly against Emperor Baratheon.

*cue Binary Suns*

mantidor

Some people make fun of the fact newcomers root for the Starks since the beginning but isn't the show manufactured that way? I'm assuming the books are more subtle and portray houses as complex entities, but the show conveys them in far simpler terms, Starks: good guys, Lannisters: bad guys, Boltons: comically evil guys.

Some people make fun of the fact newcomers root for the Starks since the beginning but isn't the show manufactured that way? I'm assuming the books are more subtle and portray houses as complex entities, but the show conveys them in far simpler terms, Starks: good guys, Lannisters: bad guys, Boltons: comically evil guys.

This attitude stems from the condescending "My sweet Summer child..."/"If you think this has a happy ending..." mentality that a lot of people have adopted about the material. They dismiss it as nothing more then death and shock value that punishes 'good guys' (which is the foundation of the show).

If you look at interviews with D&D they seem to have this opinion of the Starks that they 'deserve' every bad thing that happens to them because they try to be 'good'. On the other hand they paint the Lannisters as misunderstood. Tywin was a dick, sure, but they have gone out of their way to make Jaime, Cersei and Tyrion (especially Tyrion!) far more sympathetic than their book counterparts. In the books Cersei & Tyrion are really, truly horrible people. Though for very different reasons.

Even the Bolton's have had everything work out for them. The Red Wedding seems to have had no consequence whatsoever and they managed to crush Stannis Baratheon with barely any effort. D&D described the Winterfell plot in season 5 as "this story with Ramsay", rather than Theon (the POV from which the story is told in the book) or Sansa Stark, who is infinitely more important as a character.

NeoGiff

Ewan MacGregor for Howland Reed. He'll bring Jon to Ned in Dorn, then bring Jon's SISTER to House Tyrell in Highgarden to be raised by Senator Mace, who is leading a rebellion secretly against Emperor Baratheon.

*cue Binary Suns*

But then Howland would have to nonsensically hang out in close proximity to Jon without changing his name until the boy came of age and sought him out, to finally learn the ways of the... holy shit! Howland is The Wall itself, which means Emperor Baratheon's apprentice is Dark Stark. Ilyn Payne had the high ground when he lopped of Dark Stark's head, but there's nothing a little dark side of the pussy magic won't fix. At least we now know how this tale will end.

Wow, I came here to post just this.

I guess I'm not sure how this isn't the most relevant piece of information in deciding Jon Snow's show fate. Instead all the talk is about his hair (yes, I understand why this would be telling).

Simply put, you have an interview from a few months ago where Kit Harington says he wants his character to warg into a wolf and D&D literally respond with, "Two words: Season 6!" Then he dies in the Season 5 finale (as in the books, where his resurrection is GRRM's most poorly kept secret), which provides the most overt catalyst for his warging in the show (a warg's "second life" inside a beast upon the perishing of their human body is established book canon). Suddenly this explicit admission isn't relevant?

Well, the show hasn't done anything to set up the idea of a warg getting a "second life" inside a beast, nor has it set up the idea that Jon could possibly be a warg. Also, show Jon doesn't utter "Ghost" as he dies like book Jon does. If he's is going to continue forward in the show, I think Mel is going to be the key rather than warging.

Victarion

Well, the show hasn't done anything to set up the idea of a warg getting a "second life" inside a beast, nor has it set up the idea that Jon could possibly be a warg. Also, show Jon doesn't utter "Ghost" as he dies like book Jon does. If he's is going to continue forward in the show, I think Mel is going to be the key rather than warging.

They have, in season 4 when Jon kills the wildling warg, he immediately wargs into his hawk and attacks Jon.

Both very nice. I imagined High Garden to be more open plan not unlike how they did the Water Gardens but smaller and you know 'higher up' topographically .

SpaceHorror

D&D better not fuck up The Tower of Joy sequence.

It has the potential to be one of the most memorable scenes on the show. Also, they better leave the dialog intact. Probably the best dialog GRRM has ever written.

If they are really doing it.

They may keep the Tower of Joy sequence short, fast, and dream like.

Depends on what type of flashback it is. If it's like the cold opening, I could see them doing it as a 1:1 recreation with full lighting, dialogue, and a baby Jon reveal.

Or they could do it via a dream or bran sequence, which might be easier for them and be done with blurred edging, very quick camera movements and playback, just a few lines, some mystery etc.

However, the specific call out for the best swordsman in europe says to me they're going route #1 and doing it "properly."

Thaedolus

A proper Tower of Joy sequence, complete with a young-looking Sean Bean, original dialogue from the book, and Jon reveal would totally redeem last season.

dubq

D&D better not fuck up The Tower of Joy sequence.

It has the potential to be one of the most memorable scenes on the show. Also, they better leave the dialog intact. Probably the best dialog GRRM has ever written.

If they are really doing it.

It really is.

“And now it begins,” said Ser Arthur Dayne, the Sword of the Morning. He unsheathed Dawn and held it with both hands. The blade was pale as milkglass, alive with light.

“No,” Ned said with sadness in his voice. “Now it ends.”

*chills*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom