• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

tmdorsey

It really is.

“And now it begins,” said Ser Arthur Dayne, the Sword of the Morning. He unsheathed Dawn and held it with both hands. The blade was pale as milkglass, alive with light.

“No,” Ned said with sadness in his voice. “Now it ends.”

*chills*

Damn you. Now I'm gonna be disappointed, if they even do the sequence at all, if they don't use that dialogue.

Patriots7

It really is.

“And now it begins,” said Ser Arthur Dayne, the Sword of the Morning. He unsheathed Dawn and held it with both hands. The blade was pale as milkglass, alive with light.

*chills*
I cried when I read that.

It really is.

*chills*

Motherfucker

slow clap

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
It really is.

*chills*

Still gets me to this day. Fuck.

Best chapter in the books.

It really is.

*chills*

can't wait for the nerd tears when the show changes the dialogue lol.

It really is.

*chills*

man.

Which book is this from?

hope this is the first scene next season.

Moff

that's not event he best line
"our knees do not bend easily"
needs to be in that scene
needs to be

I rolle hope they make it as close as possible though, it really is one of the best written passages of the series

I also like Ned's brief interrogation of them, when he says he expected to see them at various other places. Great scene.

And we still don't know why the Daynes seem to revere Ned so much despite him killing Arthur Dayne and (allegedly) breaking Ashara's heart so bad she committed suicide. I'd imagine they were impressed with his honor/balls to bring the sword back to Starfall, with no army or support (outside of Howland Reed, I assume)...but there has to be some other reason.

I wonder if the Daynes helped Ned fabricate Jon's birth story/Wylla/etc? Certainly they would know there's no way Wylla is Jon's mother.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Arthur: You will not take your sister Lyanna Stark, the mother of our future King. Yes that's right, your sister Lyanna Stark of Winterfell was never kidnapped and actually married Prince Rhaegar of Dragonstone because she loved him and never loved Robert Baratheon of Storm's End. She is about to give birth to their son as we speak. Have at thee!

Ned: No, have at thee!

Iksenpets

Banned
I also like Ned's brief interrogation of them, when he says he expected to see them at various other places. Great scene.

And we still don't know why the Daynes seem to revere Ned so much despite him killing Arthur Dayne and (allegedly) breaking Ashara's heart so bad she committed suicide. I'd imagine they were impressed with his honor/balls to bring the sword back to Starfall, with no army or support (outside of Howland Reed, I assume)...but there has to be some other reason.

I wonder if the Daynes helped Ned fabricate Jon's birth story/Wylla/etc? Certainly they would know there's no way Wylla is Jon's mother.

I think the Wylla thing has to be a Dayne/Ned plot. I just don't see Ned being willing to name drop Wylla, a person who definitely exists, as the mother unless he had the ok from her and the Daynes that they were going to go along with the story. He would've just made up a fictional peasant woman otherwise. What always confuses me is how Ashara's suicide would fit in with that, since she apparently met with Ned, helped him out with his cover story, and then he left and she was still so depressed that she killed herself? I mean, maybe her thing for Ned was just so intense that once he had left for what she knew was the last time, and she knew for real that he was going back to Catelyn, she just couldn't take it? Combined with the loss of the baby. The only other option is that she faked her death and is still alive, but I really don't want to believe that.

Euron

I think the Wylla thing has to be a Dayne/Ned plot. I just don't see Ned being willing to name drop Wylla, a person who definitely exists, as the mother unless he had the ok from her and the Daynes that they were going to go along with the story. He would've just made up a fictional peasant woman otherwise. What always confuses me is how Ashara's suicide would fit in with that, since she apparently met with Ned, helped him out with his cover story, and then he left and she was still so depressed that she killed herself? I mean, maybe her thing for Ned was just so intense that once he had left for what she knew was the last time, and she knew for real that he was going back to Catelyn, she just couldn't take it? Combined with the loss of the baby. The only other option is that she faked her death and is still alive, but I really don't want to believe that.
Well there is the Ashara Dayne=Septa Lemore theory. Of course Ashara probably won't be in the show at all and just be written out.

And the Comicon panel is tomorrow right? We got casting info last year, hopefully we'll get it again this year.

Patriots7

That's what I don't get though. Ned was responsible for Arthur's death. Why would Ashara help him concoct a fake story to protect the child of the two people who doomed the entire kingdom (and Arthur as well)?
Also I thought it was implied that Brandon knocked her up.

Iksenpets

Banned
That's what I don't get though. Ned was responsible for Arthur's death. Why would Ashara help him concoct a fake story to protect the child of the two people who doomed the entire kingdom (and Arthur as well)?
Also I thought it was implied that Brandon knocked her up.

According to Barristan's recollections, it was a Stark who knocked her up, and then according to the Reed kids' story about the Knight of the Laughing Tree, the oldest Stark sibling introduced his shy younger brother to Ashara at the Tourney and got them to Dance. So basically that would leave three options:

1. Brandon introduced Ned and Ashara, Ned got her pregnant, there was a miscarriage, and Ned ended up being forced to marry Catelyn. Big hole in this is why didn't Ned and Ashara try to get married in the immediate aftermath of the tourney, before Brandon was dead and while Ned was still and eligible bachelor, if they were that head-over-heels for each other. It would at least explain why Ashara was willing to help Ned. She loved him, and ends up killing herself when she can't have him and their baby died.

2. Brandon introduced Ned and Ashara, and then went and banged Ashara anyway. This would be fitting with most of what we know of Brandon's character, but would make it very confusing why Ned seems to still remember Brandon fondly. He should've hated the guy if he pulled a stunt like that.

3. Neither Stark is the father. Either Barristan's info was just wrong, or she had sex with one of the Stark siblings at the tourney, but only got pregnant later after sleeping with someone else.

Bonus ultimate-tinfoil fourth option: It was a Stark, but it was actually lecherous old man Rickard Stark. Or smooth-beyond-his-years baby Benjen Stark.

Patriots7

According to Barristan's recollections, it was a Stark who knocked her up, and then according to the Reed kids' story about the Knight of the Laughing Tree, the oldest Stark sibling introduced his shy younger brother to Ashara at the Tourney and got them to Dance. So basically that would leave three options:

1. Brandon introduced Ned and Ashara, Ned got her pregnant, there was a miscarriage, and Ned ended up being forced to marry Catelyn. Big hole in this is why didn't Ned and Ashara try to get married in the immediate aftermath of the tourney, before Brandon was dead and while Ned was still and eligible bachelor, if they were that head-over-heels for each other. It would at least explain why Ashara was willing to help Ned. She loved him, and ends up killing herself when she can't have him and their baby died.

2. Brandon introduced Ned and Ashara, and then went and banged Ashara anyway. This would be fitting with most of what we know of Brandon's character, but would make it very confusing why Ned seems to still remember Brandon fondly. He should've hated the guy if he pulled a stunt like that.

3. Neither Stark is the father. Either Barristan's info was just wrong, or she had sex with one of the Stark siblings at the tourney, but only got pregnant later after sleeping with someone else.

Bonus ultimate-tinfoil fourth option: It was a Stark, but it was actually lecherous old man Rickard Stark. Or smooth-beyond-his-years baby Benjen Stark.
I always read it as 2. Ashara was swooning pretty hard for Brandon. He asks her to dance with his kid brother, which she agrees to, but only as a favor.

Brandon deflowers her later that evening. Probably didn't tell Ned.

Ned and Benjen are the plain looking ones of the siblings. Everyone, Ned included, seem to agree that Brandon and Lyanna were really attractive/desirable.

Turin

Banned

I think it's 2. Ned may not have found out until later and before then he'd only have been mourning his father and brother's horrible deaths for a long time(unless I'm getting the timeline wrong).

Iksenpets

Banned
I think it's 2. Ned may not have found out until later and before then he'd only have been mourning his father and brother's horrible deaths for a long time(unless I'm getting the timeline wrong).

I always assumed that if Barristan found out that it must've been public enough knowledge for Ned to know, too, but yeah I guess it's possible he just didn't know until later, when it was too distant to really be angry about it anymore. And then Ashara helped Ned out more as a favor to dead Brandon than to Ned.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!

4. Howland Reed knocked her up and that daughter is Meera Reed and she went back with him after faking her own death. Why else would Howland tell his children so many details about Ashara Dayne unless she was important to them? As a bonus, Barristan is completely wrong about everything as usual.

gutshot

“I looked for you on the Trident,” Ned said to them.

“We were not there,” Ser Gerold answered.

“Woe to the Usurper if we had been,” said Ser Oswell.

“When King's Landing fell, Ser Jaime slew your king with a golden sword, and I wondered where you were.”

“Far away,” Ser Gerold said, “or Aerys would yet sit the Iron Throne, and our false brother would burn in seven hells.”

“I came down on Storm's End to lift the siege,” Ned told them, and the Lords Tyrell and Redwyne dipped their banners, and all their knights bent the knee to pledge us fealty. I was certain you would be among them.”

“Our knees do not bend easily,” said Ser Arthur Dayne.

“Ser Willem Darry is fled to Dragonstone, with your queen and Prince Viserys. I thought you might have sailed with him.”

“Ser Willem is a good man and true,” said Ser Oswell.

“But not of the Kingsguard,” Ser Gerold pointed out. “The Kingsguard does not flee.”

“Then or now,” said Ser Arthur. He donned his helm.

“We swore a vow,” explained old Ser Gerold.

Ned’s wraiths moved up beside him, with shadow swords in hand. They were seven against three.

So good.

Don't know if this has been posted yet, saw this on my facebook feed

Zuyzvqn.jpg

bengraven

What if Ashara is both Wylla and Lemure.

- Ned had baby with Ashara
- Jon is born
- Ashara fakes death, becomes Wylla
-goes to Winterfell with both children,
- Ned silences talk of Ashara be realized it's dangerous so seems her away
- she becomes Lemure
- gives up Stark baby or is Aegon
- Ned refuses to talk about Wylla with Robert

As you all know, the Comic Con panel is today:
Based on the bestselling fantasy book series A Song of Ice and Fire by George R. R. Martin, HBO’s Game of Thrones concluded its 10-episode fifth season in June and will begin filming its sixth season this summer. The series, executive produced and written by David Benioff and D.B. Weiss, is an epic story of treachery and nobility, set on the continent of Westeros, where summers and winters can last years. Panelists include (in alphabetical order) Alfie Allen as Theon Greyjoy/Reek, John Bradley as Samwell Tarly, Gwendoline Christie as Brienne of Tarth, Liam Cunningham as Davos Seaworth, Natalie Dormer as Margaery Tyrell, Conleth Hill as Varys, David Nutter (director), Hannah Murray as Gilly, Carolyn Strauss (executive producer), Sophie Turner as Sansa Stark, Carice van Houten as Melisandre, and Maisie Williams as Arya Stark.

Date: Friday, July 9th
Start Time: 5:30pm ET (2:30pm PST)
Where: Hall H
Seth Myers is moderating.

I really hope we get a casting video tomorrow.
Me too.

Can't wait for the Tower of Joy dialogue rewritten by the men who brought us Bad Pussy, and the legendary showdown re-envisioned by the choreographer who brought us this:

“And now the good girl,” said Ser Arthur Dayne, the Sword of the Morning. He unsheathed Dawn and held it with both hands. The blade was pale as milkglass, alive with light.

“No,” Ned said with sadness in his voice. “Now the bad pussy.”

4. Howland Reed knocked her up and that daughter is Meera Reed and she went back with him after faking her own death. Why else would Howland tell his children so many details about Ashara Dayne unless she was important to them? As a bonus, Barristan is completely wrong about everything as usual.

It's this, more or less. I'll link to the best version of the theory to give proper credit: H+A=M&J. Of all the fan theories out there, this is one of my favorites and, in my opinion, one of the best.

I'll sum it up as best I can, but my explanation will be a gross oversimplification. The devil is in the details, and those details are in that link. I highly encourage any fan to read it.

Basically, Howland impregnates Ashara with Meera at the Tourney at Harrenhal. Ashara later returns to Starfall, where Howland retrieves her after the Tower of Joy melee. Ashara fakes her death and absconds with Howland to Greywater Watch, where they conceive Jojen. At some point, they may have married.

This theory explains why Ned told Bran that "[Arthur Dayne] would have killed me but for Howland Reed." This statement is not meant to suggest that Howland somehow intercepted a killing blow dealt to Ned by Arthur, or that he wounded or injured Arthur at a critical moment during the fight. Rather, it's meant to suggest that Arthur Dayne either hesitated or chose not to slay Ned or Howland because Howland was father to his niece, lover to his sister, and perhaps brother-in-law. Whether Arthur lived is unclear, but the implication is that Ned's vow to protect Rhaegar's son and Howland's family ties stayed his blade, hence the ambiguity in the phrasing of "He would have killed me but for Howland Reed."

Again, the link provides the actually important parts. Textual support ranges from Meera and Jojen's birthdates and physical characteristics, to firsthand accounts given by characters, to the unusually amicable relationship between Ned and the Daynes, to Barristan Selmy's status as an unreliable narrator (very clever evidence), to name just a few.

As you all know, the Comic Con panel is today: Seth Myers is moderating.

Ugh. Not looking forward to hearing Sophie Turner field questions about Sansa's season 5 story.

From the sounds of it they're still pretty early into season 6 production; Maisie Williams implied yesterday that she hasn't had any scripts for the season, so I'd be shocked if we get anything of value regarding season 6.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom