• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeoGiff

15149529438_85f69feab5_o.gif

Euron

Well since D&D are lazy hacks I guess I'm just going to have to cast the season 6 characters myself with some assistance from HBO:

Euron Greyjoy- Vince Vaughn
Randyll Tarly - Vince Vaughn
Septon Meribald - Vince Vaughn
Arthur Dayne - Vince Vaughn
Howland Reed - Vince Vaughn
Young Ned - Taylor Kitsch
Greatjon Umber - Vince Vaughn
Dickon Tarly - Vince Vaughn
Melessa Florent - Vince Vaughn
Young Robert - Vince Vaughn
Khal Jhaqo - Vince Vaughn
Red Priestess - Vince Vaughn
Wyman Manderly - John Goodman

NeoGiff

Well since D&D are lazy hacks I guess I'm just going to have to cast the season 6 characters myself with some assistance from HBO:

Euron Greyjoy- Vince Vaughn
Randyll Tarly - Vince Vaughn
Septon Meribald - Vince Vaughn
Arthur Dayne - Vince Vaughn
Howland Reed - Vince Vaughn
Young Ned - Taylor Kitsch
Greatjon Umber - Vince Vaughn
Dickon Tarly - Vince Vaughn
Melessa Florent - Vince Vaughn
Young Robert - Vince Vaughn
Khal Jhaqo - Vince Vaughn
Red Priestess - Vince Vaughn
Wyman Manderly - John Goodman

Young Ned: I'M GAY.

Arthur Dayne: What kind of way is that to greet the world?

Plasmid

Just read bran 3 in AGOT. The chapter where he has one of his first green dreams. Is it discussed much? It seems he has a vision of Dragons in Asshai, Jons lifeless body in the ice cells, and he sees far beyond the north and sees what can be inferred as the location we see in season 4 with Ice Baby Walker. I can't find a lot of threads on it on Reddit.

Iksenpets

Banned
Just read bran 3 in AGOT. The chapter where he has one of his first green dreams. Is it discussed much? It seems he has a vision of Dragons in Asshai, Jons lifeless body in the ice cells, and he sees far beyond the north and sees what can be inferred as the location we see in season 4 with Ice Baby Walker. I can't find a lot of threads on it on Reddit.

I know there's been a lot of discussion about the vision he has of the Hound and Jaime with zombie Gregor, since it's some really early foreshadowing, and yeah people read a lot into the line with Jon. I think I posted about it a bit last week in the reread thread, but I feel like Asshai was originally intended to be a way bigger part of the story, but he ran out of time to get Dany there to explore it fully.

You should give up on seeing Winds of Winter in the next 2 years at least... The lower (or higher?) the expectations are, the better.

I never had much hope, just a fool's hope.

I'd be shocked if it comes out before the show ends. I'd like to see him get one book out during the show's popular run because the interest in ASOIAF from the general population is going to plummet when the show is completed. It would be a shame to never see him able to capitalize on some of that hype.

Euron

Maybe he'll have it out before season 7. Maybe.
ARE WE REALLY AT THIS POINT NOW?!

He should really just release what he has now of TWOW as a Volume 1 so he can beat the show to the Jon Resurrection and some other stuff (CLEGANEBOWL) and release the rest of TWOW whenever he can.

ADOS is a lost cause

Gee I wonder why. Oh wait you spent weeks in Europe doing events. I still think the book will be out next year but Martin is really making me reconsider my confidence. He cancelled a couple events that will result in him having September-December to write, which is good. But at this point you've got to ask...why wasn't more cancelled? He was in Europe last year, would it hurt to have cancelled it this year? Why is he developing shows for HBO? I'm not going to complain about his editing jobs which don't seem major, however he spent much of 2013-2014 writing the world book, the Targaryen book etc. Why?

He should have done a couple events this year and cancelled everything else.

I really do wonder if George thought he could finish the books before the show caught up to him. Even if the show went like 10 seasons like he thought it still wouldn't be enough. How naive.

Iksenpets

Banned
Gee I wonder why. Oh wait you spent weeks in Europe doing events. I still think the book will be out next year but Martin is really making me reconsider my confidence. He cancelled a couple events that will result in him having September-December to write, which is good. But at this point you've got to ask...why wasn't more cancelled? He was in Europe last year, would it hurt to have cancelled it this year? Why is he developing shows for HBO? I'm not going to complain about his editing jobs which don't seem major, however he spent much of 2013-2014 writing the world book, the Targaryen book etc. Why?

Yeah, he kept talking about how he couldn't cancel on everything because he was the guest of honor or whatever, but really everyone, including people who were going to those events, would've been happier if he just stayed home and wrote. Or hell, if his publisher had sat him down a few years back and made him learn to write on a laptop. I get that he has to have other things, that he can't just work 100% on this one book without burning himself out, but even he seems to think he has too much on his plate.

I really do wonder if George thought he could finish the books before the show caught up to him. Even if the show went like 10 seasons like he thought it still wouldn't be enough. How naive.

I think of you asked him back in 2010, he'd have told you that the books would be done by 2015 and the show wouldn't end until 2020, and he'd have totally sincerely believed it.

Euron

Because that worked so well last time, of course.
Well last time it failed just because he split everything up geographically and expanded the world too much.

This time all he needs to do is release what he has now. We're all desperate at this point. He's going to get surpassed by the show for everything in the rest of the series from this point forward.

Well last time it failed just because he split everything up geographically and expanded the world too much.

This time all he needs to do is release what he has now. We're all desperate at this point. He's going to get surpassed by the show for everything in the rest of the series from this point forward.

The preview chapters he released are probably all he has written.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus

To be honest, as much as I'd love for TWOW to be out next year, I'd rather GRRM finish the book on his own time. If he feels like he needs to attend cons and edit Wild Cards and develop series for HBO to avoid feeling burnt out, then so be it.

To be honest, as much as I'd love for TWOW to be out next year, I'd rather GRRM finish the book on his own time. If he feels like he needs to attend cons and edit Wild Cards and develop series for HBO to avoid feeling burnt out, then so be it.

I'd agree that he clearly needs that social outlet, and craves to talk to/with fans. I have no problem with that. My problem is when he schedules 8+ events, staggered throughout the year in such a way that he cannot make progress writing. Which is what he's done many times over the years. Worldcon is clearly his passion, no one would demand he skip that. He also clearly enjoys some smaller cons - by all means, attend. I just don't understand why he's been doing this for 10+ years without realizing it's ruining his productivity. Maybe people have told him, who knows. Either way he clearly didn't do anything about it until semi recently - but now he wants credit/sympathy like a kid who procrastinated before cramming for a test. Nope.

He's said before it can take him days or weeks to get into a character's mind. Imagine finally getting into that character's mind...and then realizing you have to leave for France in 4 days. That's how it has gone for him for more than a decade.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I'd agree that he clearly needs that social outlet, and craves to talk to/with fans. I have no problem with that. My problem is when he schedules 8+ events, staggered throughout the year in such a way that he cannot make progress writing. Which is what he's done many times over the years. Worldcon is clearly his passion, no one would demand he skip that. He also clearly enjoys some smaller cons - by all means, attend. I just don't understand why he's been doing this for 10+ years without realizing it's ruining his productivity. Maybe people have told him, who knows. Either way he clearly didn't do anything about it until semi recently - but now he wants credit/sympathy like a kid who procrastinated before cramming for a test. Nope.

He's said before it can take him days or weeks to get into a character's mind. Imagine finally getting into that character's mind...and then realizing you have to leave for France in 4 days. That's how it has gone for him for more than a decade.

That bothers me too, but at the end of the day, if he doesn't want to write then he doesn't want to write. I've made peace with the fact that we'll get the book when we get it.

M.D

I watched the first two seasons and loved the show and decided to read the books as well

At some point I read about Robb and Catelyn dieing and have been bummed about reading that fucking spoiler ever since.

I stopped watching after the end of season 2 to remain spoiler free when reading the books, but then I thought maybe I should stop reading now and wait a couple of years. Maybe I'll forget.
Nope. All I can about in the back of my mind when reading the first book is this fucking spoiler and I don't know why it's so annoying to me.

Wish there was a way to erase this shit out of my mind.
I should have known better than reading that wiki page.

Brakke

Banned
I don't know that "let George take his time" is the way to get quality writing though. When George takes his time and doesn't have an editor he writes the literally-unpublishable AFFC/ADWD.

Moff

well we don't know what the quality would have been if he rushed AFFC/ADWD, I doubt it would have been better.
I am completely fine with him taking his time, we have passed the point anyway where it mattered for the show

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I don't know that "let George take his time" is the way to get quality writing though.

Do we have any other choice though? The only person who might have any power over GRRM is his editor - he couldn't care less about his fans crying about it on the internet. In fact, if more people stopped crying about it, maybe he'd sit up and take notice: "Hey, the thousands of people who emailed me every day about The Winds of Winter have suddenly stopped! Have they all moved on with their lives? Shit, I better hurry up then!"

Joni

Natalie Dormer looks really happy with Conan behind her.
Was this a look really unhappy photo or something? Are D&D or Linda threatening Maise/Sophie?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom