• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brakke

Banned
I have in my calendar that bet avatars get to drop today but I can't remember how I counted it out. Is today the day of freedom??

well we don't know what the quality would have been if he rushed AFFC/ADWD, I doubt it would have been better.
I am completely fine with him taking his time, we have passed the point anyway where it mattered for the show

"Rushing" vs "shipping on a deadline" is a false choice. Dude could have chosen to simply not write dozens of AFFC / ADWD chapters and still made a book according to vision, more tightly-targeted. He knew he had to untangle his "Myrenesse Knot" but he picked the longest, most protracted way to do it. In fact, he hasn't even done it yet. If he set "get Dany out of Meereen" as an explicit goal for a specific book, he could have accomplished it. Instead he doesn't have any goals at all and the books wander indulgently.

The books didn't need the Kingsmoot. We could have returned to the Ironborn at the raid on the Shield Islands and all the dramatic stakes would have been exactly the same. In the earlier books, GRR does things like skip Robb's campaign and let the outcomes speak for the minutiae. In the last two books, he doesn't leave nearly as much unsaid. He's lost his economy.

Which, whatever. I'm in for the ride. There's simply no question that the soul of Feast and Dance are wildly different than the first three.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Well yeah... Jon is clearly dead. It's not a spoiler to say that.

Yeah, that seems to be a pretty likely "out" for them. Does he stay dead is a whole other question.

38cYo6bl.jpg

No huge insights here, but I didn't know Sophie was stuck answering this question (though I'm not surprised).

‘Game of Thrones’ actors confront the show’s portrayal of rape at Comic-C

The audience member hadn’t finished his question, but Sophie Turner was already sighing, loudly, into her microphone. Her “Game of Thrones” castmates scowled, crossed their arms and leaned back in their chairs.

“If there’s one thing that Sansa still is, despite what happened to her, is strong,” Turner said. “She’s not to blame for any of that. I really don’t know why … they focused on Theon, because I was giving a great performance.”

NeoGiff

I feel like a gentle reminder is in order, now that we're on the topic of cringeworthy panels etc.

You all cringed during the SDCC panel, but the real question is: did you cringe as much as RIGHT NOW?

GGpjRDc.jpg

I feel like a gentle reminder is in order, now that we're on the topic of cringeworthy panels etc.

You all cringed during the SDCC panel, but the real question is: did you cringe as much as RIGHT NOW?

GGpjRDc.jpg

God Ran and Linda are so awful and the worst things to ever happen to the book series. I really wish GURM hadn't published their stupid fan fiction.

GGpjRDc.jpg

rudd.gif

I can't wait to see Linda's Twitter reactions to getting spoiled by Season 6 stuff. It's inevitable and I'll have my popcorn ready.

Moff

Weiss and Benoiff are cowards for not being there to take questions on their pathetic over-usage of rape on the show.

well there was someone there who answered questions like that, sadly she wasn't sitting on the panel and I don't think she was introduced, but she answered some questions offscreen.

the rape question did come up actually and she said something like "well that's how times were back then" and the cast on the panel laughed it off. I don't think it would have been any differently if D&D sat there.
after all, the people who ask questions only get 1 question, they don't get to respond to the answers, there are no discussions.

Euron

So I started watching Rome and yep it's fucking amazing already. I'm not even a third of the way through season 1 and I'm sad that they rushed the second season.

Kevin McKidd would have made a perfect Jon Connington and Ray Stevenson would have made a perfect Victarion. I'd be very happy if James Purefoy gets chosen as Euron but apparently he doesn't want anything to do with GOT and is working on another show. It actually seems very likely now that Mads will get the role since Hannibal is done and casting seems to not have been decided early this year.

Moff

better than selling out to HBO and letting their fan fiction be the lasting impact of his life's work

sometimes I think GRRM doesnt take his work half as serious as his "fans".
"selling out" to HBO was very very likely the best decision of his life, by far

Iksenpets

Banned
Ack no that picture again! Why does it exist? Why isn't it bannable?

So I started watching Rome and yep it's fucking amazing already. I'm not even a third of the way through season 1 and I'm sad that they rushed the second season.

Kevin McKidd would have made a perfect Jon Connington and Ray Stevenson would have made a perfect Victarion. I'd be very happy if James Purefoy gets chosen as Euron but apparently he doesn't want anything to do with GOT and is working on another show. It actually seems very likely now that Mads will get the role since Hannibal is done and casting seems to not have been decided early this year.

The core cast of Rome really did each have a perfect role for GoT, that all got cut, minus Euron. Those three plus Ian McNiece as Manderly would've been great. And in Rome castings that actually happened, Tobias Menzies was a perfect Edmure and really underrated in the role, Indira Varma was a great Ellaria until they rewrote her completely into a wildly unhinged crazy person for season 5, and Ciaran Hinds' Mance was really starting to grow on me at the exact moment they killed him off.

Yeah I'm a bit perplexed by this stance as well. George refused to sell adaption rights for 20ish years until he found the people and the way he saw it being adapted, and that was as an HBO series with Benioff and Weiss.

I'm sure he'd hoped that he would have been able to publish his books before the series made its own way to the end, but that aspect is no ones fault but his own.

Dysun

It brought him more fame, notoriety and acclaim that he would have gotten otherwise
His work won't be remembered for what he wrote, just what was picked apart by the show runners though

Euron

The core cast of Rome really did each have a perfect role for GoT, that all got cut, minus Euron. Those three plus Ian McNiece as Manderly would've been great. And in Rome castings that actually happened, Tobias Menzies was a perfect Edmure and really underrated in the role, Indira Varma was a great Ellaria until they rewrote her completely into a wildly unhinged crazy person for season 5, and Ciaran Hinds' Mance was really starting to grow on me at the exact moment they killed him off.
Almost none of the issues in GOT ever come from the acting, they come from the script and budget. Mance was far too underutilized and should have been at either Winterfell or Hardhome.

And Max Pirkis would have been a great Aegon. Pirkis as Aegon and McKidd as Connington would have been insane.

Brakke

Banned
It's pretty whack to be complaining on behalf of someone else's "life's work". GRR's the only dude who gets to say what was his life's work. Maybe he's secretly most proud of his blog or his sci fi books or his beard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom