• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did Charles Dance ever get nominated for anything on GoT? If not, that's a crime against humanity as a whole and we should immediately go and destroy everything in regards to Emmies.

I'd probably say Dillane was the best on the show this season. They wrecked his character, but he fucking sold it. Allen still should've been the nominee for season 2. He carried that season, along with the Blackwater episode.
I loved Dillane, but like Allen it's very much about expressing or the character trying to stifle internal conflict. Great performances, but not exactly flashy performances, which are the ones we are seeing getting Emmy nominations.
Did Charles Dance ever get nominated for anything on GoT? If not, that's a crime against humanity as a whole and we should immediately go and destroy everything in regards to Emmies.
He did not
HBO needs to stop hiring these basic bitches.
He's not going anywhere, been directing HBO shows for years. He's done eps of Six Feet Under, Rome, The Pacific, Newsroom, and Boardwalk before the two GoT episodes and True Detective ep this year. He's doing the first two eps of season six as well.

FWIW, I thought "Kill the Boy" was an excellent episode, and his direction was good in it.

Yeah, Dinklage and Clarke really didn't have that much to do this season...

But holy fuck at Mother's Mercy getting nominated, HBO must have bribed them with the bad pussy.

Kit-Harington-Game-of-Thrones-Jon-Snow-555x412.jpg

Hardhome might have been the best episode of the series and had arguably the greatest battle scene in TV History. I'd actually give Mother's Mercy the award for shittiest writing of the season.

And what's with the same actors getting nominated every year? I really don't believe Emilia Clarke deserves an Emmy nomination all that much even if she's improved a lot over season 4. And Alfie Allen deserves the nomination way more than Dinklage this season. Oh and Diana Rigg has been a reoccurring character for three seasons now. She isn't a guest anymore.

Still baffles my mind Rains of Castamere didn't win anything and Hardhome was really good.

Euron

Yeah, Dinklage and Clarke really didn't have that much to do this season...

But holy fuck at Mother's Mercy getting nominated, HBO must have bribed them with the bad pussy.
It wasn't just the dialogue that was bad, the overall plot became pretty laughable and the resolution for Stannis was incredibly half-assed.

I mean how did the episode even go?

Soldiers: Stannis a bunch of your men deserted and your wife's dead

Stannis: It stopped snowing, we're attacking Winterfell now.

Soldiers: What's the plan? What kind of unique battle strategy that you are legendary for have you come up with?

Stannis: Just run toward Winterfell

soldiers get massacred

Stannis: Fuck

Brienne: I've been watching for the signal for most of the season while, judging by how I easily defeated Littlefinger's men, I could have gone in there at any time and come out alive. But I will continue waiting here for Sansa to- aw fuck it walks away

candle gets lit

Brienne: You killed my king and I'm upset even though he had no right to the Throne because he was nice to me so you must die

Stannis: Do your dut-

Director: HEY GUYS DESPITE US OPENLY HATING STANNIS WE'RE NOT GOING TO SHOW HIS DEATH BECAUSE WE RESPECT HIM SOMEHOW AND JUST WANNA CREATE CONFUSION

Ramsay: Lol I'm not even wearing any armor yet I just led an army to victory and don't have a scratch on me. Also I'm going to kill you now guy after telling you I'm not going to kill you. LOOK AT HOW EVIL I AM

Sansa: Hey look an army that's my ticket ou-AW COME ON WHY DOES THAT ALWAYS HAPPEN

Myranda: idk what im doing with this bow and arrow on one hand i could kill you but then roose kills me so i wont do that ill just cause u more pain and trauma cuz ramsay married u nd im jealous even if he continues to fuk me

gets pushed off cliff

Theon/Reek: Come Jeyne, we need to advance the plot. We're falling way behind, Stannis might have just finished his TWOW material.

Sansa: ...Jeyne?

Theon grabs her and jumps off high ledge

Unsullied: Did they just die?

Director: No

Unsullied: But Stannis...

Director: Fuck Stannis

Yeah I'm just going to stop here. Though I could go into how laughably depressing Arya's arc became or how stupid the execution for the Jon Assassination was (or Dorne...). If it's any consolation, I like how they did the Walk of Shame. I'm just bitter about how badly they fucked up the North/Stannis' arc for the most part.

George on the nominations
The Academy of Television Arts & Sciences announced this year's nominations for the Emmy Awards this morning, and HBO's GAME OF THRONES led the way with a whopping TWENTY-FOUR nominations. More than any other show this year, in any other category, be it drama, comedy, reality, talk, movie, miniseries, variety, documentary, what have you.

Congratulations are in order for David Benioff and D.B. Weiss, our showrunners, all our writers and directors and producers, our amazing cast and our incredible crew, and of course the good folks at Home Box Office, who made all this possible.

It's an incredible list, I applaud everyone on it... and all of those who didn't make it either. GAME OF THRONES is what it is because of the untiring efforts of the best cast and crew in television today. Many were recognized by the Academy today for their work... but others, equally dedicated and talented, were not. But the show would not the hit it is without their talent and dedication.

The 24 nominations garnered by GAME OF THRONES is not only the highest number of any show this year, but among the highest ever received by a single series for a single season in the entire history of television. (For numbers geeks, the record remains 27, garnered by NYPD BLUE in 1994).

Today is a day for celebrations and congratulations, for popping champagne corks and raising toasts and exchanging thanks... but before we do too many cartwheels, it would be wise to remember that GAME OF THRONES also led the Emmy nominations last year, with 19 nods, only to get skunked on the night of the televised awards. The same as the year before, and the year before that. Like many fantasy shows before us, GOT is often honored for our special effects, costumes, makeup, stuntwork, set design, and cinematography (this year, please note, we have four of five finalists for cinematography), but seldom for writing, directing, or acting. Peter Dinklage's Emmy as Best Supporting Actor for season one remains the ONLY award the show has ever won in those categories, in fact.

Will that change this year? One can hope, I suppose.

But no matter what happens on Emmy Night, let me say once again that it truly is an honor to be nominated, especially given the competition. This truly is The Golden Age of Television, especially for drama. GAME OF THRONES faces the usual formidable competition for the "Big One," the award for Best Dramatic Series... but as distinguished a list as that is, there are so many incredible shows that did NOT make the cut that it boggles the mind. It's great to see BETTER CALL SAUL and ORANGE IS THE NEW BLACK on this list, but where is MASTERS OF SEX? THE KNICK? HALT AND CATCH FIRE? How about THE VIKINGS? I really thought JUSTIFIED might make it, for its final season. And OUTLANDER, how in the world did they overlook OUTLANDER, with its music and its costumes and its cinematography and the incredible performances of its three leads (especially Tobias Menzies in his double role)? Why is Nick Offermann not on the ballot for PARKS AND RECREATION? How could BIG BANG THEORY possibly fall off? Truly, the Academy (of which I am a member) moves in mysterious ways.

Even where GOT itself is concerned... I am thrilled to see both Emilia Clarke and Lena Headey among the nominees, but I wanted Maisie Williams and Sophie Turner and Natalie Dormer as well... it's great that two of our episodes got nominated for directing, but how did they overlook "Hardhome?"... and will Iain Glen and Conleth Hill and John Bradley West ever get any recognition, and...

Okay, okay, I know, I am being greedy, and every producer on every other show on television is probably saying the same things about his own cast just now. Let me just savor the moment.

GOT did good.
Blog Post

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Even GRRM knows that Ron Swanson is the GOAT.

Jigorath

Banned
Game of Thrones has so many nominations this year, they're probably going to win now that Breaking Bad's out of the running and the latest season of House of Cards drew a mixed reception. Though maybe Emmy voters will make the correct decision and give it to Mad Men.

Emilia Clarke on Season 6:

Dunno how I feel about this. George better hurry up.

What a shitfest these GOT nominations.

So we already have enough evidence of Kit Harrington returning as Jon for season 6? After the season 5 finale I stop following the news.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
What a shitfest these GOT nominations.

So we already have enough evidence of Kit Harrington returning as Jon for season 6? After the season 5 finale I stop following the news.

Not really, other than his hair not being short.

Jumping from big moment to big moment without proper buildup has been part of the show's dna from the very beginning though.
Even more so, it's been a pretty standard comment when a cast member has been asked to speak very vaguely about an upcoming season.

Crazy, shocking, epic, nonstop, yada yada yada

PR-speak, of course. And an explicit acknowledgment of the "write-to-tentpoles" philosophy responsible for the show's most egregious shortcomings. That quote tells me we're going from bad to worse in this regard.

Unfortunately, this type of writing and plotting is so heavily incorporated into today's most popular TV shows (Game of Thrones, The Walking Dead) to make things "shocking" and "dark," most viewers actually view it as a mark of high quality simply because it is unexpected.

duckroll

- Emilia Clarke thinks it is EPIC and AWESOME
- Big moments one after another
- Full original D&D all the time

Season 6 is going to be ~amazing~. :)

Speevy

Banned
I've pretty much dedicated my entire Game of Thrones wishlist to Ramsay dying. I don't care how it happens. I don't even care if it makes sense. Just someone kill that bastard.

axb2013

I've pretty much dedicated my entire Game of Thrones wishlist to Ramsay dying. I don't care how it happens. I don't even care if it makes sense. Just someone kill that bastard.

Kill Ramsay? Noooooo. Ramsay should be kept alive so that everyone he wronged gets their turn to torture him. However he's the replacement for Joffrey so expect him to outlive many characters.

MikeyB

It wasn't just the dialogue that was bad, the overall plot became pretty laughable and the resolution for Stannis was incredibly half-assed.

I mean how did the episode even go?
Oh God, that's so accurate. The last season was like watching someone take excellent ingredients and make a pedestrian and burnt dish. So much wasted potential.

Monocle

There were maybe three episodes in S5 that were better than decent, and Hardhome was literally the only thing in the season that deserved any Emmy nominations. Truly the Emmys are nothing more than a popularity contest.

I mean, you're going to tell me Emilia Clarke turned in a better performance than Eva Green in Penny Dreadful? (Technically Eva would probably count as the lead actress, but still.) Is this real life? No, really. Are these people serious?

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
Kill Ramsay? Noooooo. Ramsay should be kept alive so that everyone he wronged gets their turn to torture him. However he's the replacement for Joffrey so expect him to outlive many characters.
Since Euron is joining the show, I wonder if he will be the replacement of Ramsay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom