• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speevy

Banned
Ian Mcshane and Sam would be the funniest conversation ever.

"Didn't I fucking tell you what I'd do if you came back here boy? Well, didn't I?"

"But.b..b..I..."

"Y..you..you..what?! You're a fatass piece of shit and I'm ashamed of you. Did you think bringing this wildling girl here was going to impress me? Like someone finally found that little cock of yours, huh boy?"

NeoGiff

Whoever he is, he's not going to live out the season so that's something to bear in mind. He's too big an actor.

rZZAqLL.gif

Speevy

Banned
Walder Frey and Balon more than earned their keep with a small role.

Even that wildling lady who turned into a wight was better than half the people they've hired.

bengraven

Deadwoods dialogue was too cool to be realistic.

Well yeah.

It was written to be Shakespearean. No one actually spoke like that in the west - trust someone who has read hundreds of diaries from the frontier period (me, though I should add that it is fairly similar to 50 years earlier).

Plus, the swears were made to be more modern because back in those days "goddamn" was the worst thing in the world - equivalent to "assfucking cocksucking cunt". A man saying "damn" was to be taken seriously. "Son of a bitch"? That motherfucker needed to be avoided.

cj_iwakura

"Didn't I fucking tell you what I'd do if you came back here boy? Well, didn't I?"

"But.b..b..I..."

"Y..you..you..what?! You're a fatass piece of shit and I'm ashamed of you. Did you think bringing this wildling girl here was going to impress me? Like someone finally found that little cock of yours, huh boy?"

Bank on it.

Ratrat

Well yeah.

It was written to be Shakespearean. No one actually spoke like that in the west - trust someone who has read hundreds of diaries from the frontier period (me, though I should add that it is fairly similar to 50 years earlier).

Plus, the swears were made to be more modern because back in those days "goddamn" was the worst thing in the world - equivalent to "assfucking cocksucking cunt". A man saying "damn" was to be taken seriously. "Son of a bitch"? That motherfucker needed to be avoided.
Oh, I'm not complaining, though your insight is interesting. I really love the show and the dialogue is a big reason.

Speevy

Banned
Are you saying that you think they haven't done a good job overall on casting?

After season 3

-Myranda
-Olly
-High Sparrow
-Oberyn Martell
-Dorann Martell
-Trystane Martell
-Areo Hotah
-Hizdahr zo Loraq
-Tyene Sand
-Obara Sand
-Nymeria Sand
-Older Myrcella
-Ellaria Sand
-Styr
-New Daario
-New Mountain
-Yohn Royce

If you were giving a casting director an overall rating and had this list to go by, what would you give that person?

bengraven

Oh, I'm not complaining, though your insight is interesting. I really love the show and the dialogue is a big reason.

Yeah, sorry, I realized I kind of sounded like a pretentious cocksucker when I wrote that, though it wasn't my intention. :p

Nah, Randyll and Euron were listed as top roles for the season. He's going to have a lot of screentime. I could see Septon Meribald, but he doesn't seem like someone of key importance, unless he's going to do something big in Winds.

I would say Howland Reed if he weren't sort of the antithesis of Howland.

Could be something we don't really know about yet, similar to the slaver role last season.

Euron's only got like two scenes in FFC/DWD which I can remember- Kingsmoot and sending Victarion off to get Dany. Apart from possibly besieging Oldtown what else is he really going to do in season 6?

Speevy

Banned
Euron's only got like two scenes in FFC/DWD which I can remember- Kingsmoot and sending Victarion off to get Dany. Apart from possibly besieging Oldtown what else is he really going to do in season 6?

The answer to this or any other question concerning what X character could possibly do is always "kill Ramsay".

hydruxo

Season 6 will draw quite a bit from Winds of Winter for Euron's arc I'd imagine.

Euron

YES THEY CAST MY FIRST CHOICE FOR RANDYLL!!!!!

Edit: Wait what the fuck?

Kill Arya

Showaddy

Awesome!
Oh, 'small amount of screen time'...
Randyll Tarly hopefully.

Makes sense as they specified no physical requirements for Tarly so McShane fits the bill. Tarly's casting specified that he'd be centrally involved in a protagonists storyline though which kinda contradicts the 'small amount of screen time.'

Edit: I suppose he could be playing Meribald as well. Small important roll, gruff ex-solider, some good dialogue to deliver.

After season 3

-Myranda
-Olly
-High Sparrow
-Oberyn Martell
-Dorann Martell
-Trystane Martell
-Areo Hotah
-Hizdahr zo Loraq
-Tyene Sand
-Obara Sand
-Nymeria Sand
-Older Myrcella
-Ellaria Sand
-Styr
-New Daario
-New Mountain
-Yohn Royce

If you were giving a casting director an overall rating and had this list to go by, what would you give that person?

I can't tell if you are being sarcastic. I love pretty much all of them

'Relatively' small amount of screentime doesn't contradict with the casting call.

See Prince Doran. He was centrally involved with a protoganist, was cast with a relatively known name, etc.

Relatively is a key word here. I would imagine Randyll Tarly to be centrally important with Sam and then Kings Landing or The Reach without being a point of view character equivalent.

I'd like for Ian McShane to be introduced this season and then have more stuff to come in the next season. The guy is great in Deadwood and since then he hasn't been in anything too interesting. I hope he gets to dig in to something.

I was kind of excited for Alexander Siddig last season, but he turned out to do mostly nothing and wasn't in it very much. Also hoping he has some good stuff to come, I don't really know the plot of the books but that hasn't mattered as much lately.

ryseing

"But.b..b..I..."

Shamelessly stolen from /r/asoiaf-

"Father, I beat a White Walker!"

"You couldn't beat a drum."

Iksenpets

Banned
After season 3

-Myranda
-Olly
-High Sparrow
-Oberyn Martell
-Dorann Martell
-Trystane Martell
-Areo Hotah
-Hizdahr zo Loraq
-Tyene Sand
-Obara Sand
-Nymeria Sand
-Older Myrcella
-Ellaria Sand
-Styr
-New Daario
-New Mountain
-Yohn Royce

Casting was pretty on point for all of those. I don't think any of them were miscast. It's the scripts that let them down.

After season 3

-Myranda
-Olly
-High Sparrow
-Oberyn Martell
-Dorann Martell
-Trystane Martell
-Areo Hotah
-Hizdahr zo Loraq
-Tyene Sand
-Obara Sand
-Nymeria Sand
-Older Myrcella
-Ellaria Sand
-Styr
-New Daario
-New Mountain
-Yohn Royce

A+ . Or A if you dock enough points for one Sand Snake being Asian and one being lame (obviously points given for the nude one).

Kain

btw, I've only known Mcshane in roles with fabulous hair, will he be rocking a bald head like Tarly? Or am I misremembering?

I have to say, the show has some major flaws, but the casting isn't one. Nina Gold is to damn good.

Ratrat

After season 3

-Myranda
-Olly
-High Sparrow
-Oberyn Martell
-Dorann Martell
-Trystane Martell
-Areo Hotah
-Hizdahr zo Loraq
-Tyene Sand
-Obara Sand
-Nymeria Sand
-Older Myrcella
-Ellaria Sand
-Styr
-New Daario
-New Mountain
-Yohn Royce

Half of them are really great. Don't care for Myrcella, Sandsnakes and The Mountain. Olly and Myranda are whatever, they did their jobs I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom