• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Euron

I hope they've seen little to nothing of Winds

The less bastardized version of the real story the better. Let them sink on their own
It'll be a different story for the most part by default. I'm convinced that Barristan, Victarion, and Stannis will die in the first third of TWOW, so that alone changes things a lot. Without Aegon, I feel the story changes drastically in the show. We all know Tommen will die but we don't know when and how? Those two will certainly differ from book to show. Jon's resurrection is going to differ as well since it's pretty much guaranteed in the books that Melisandre will sacrifice Shireen to revive him.

The only things I can see the show spoiling the books on now are:

• Jaime killing Cersei (if that is indeed how she goes out)
  • A surprise death for Arya, Tyrion, or Littlefinger. Sansa's plotline differs so much that even if she dies at some point in the near future we can be certain that things will be different in the books. And Davos might be absorbing some of Stannis' and Asha's material.

Basically anybody aside from Dany, Jon, and Bran has a good chance of dying before the end. I would like to add Littlefinger and Varys to the group but who knows what Martin has planned.

As for the death GRRM finally figured out, it's 100% not Cersei. If he wasn't sure how he's going to kill her, he wouldn't have put the Valonqar prophecy in the story as well as the foreshadowing for Jaime being the Valonqar.

So...you're all going to keep watching?

I'm guessing like 95% of this topic will continue watching. It'll damn near impossible to avoid spoilers and to be completely honest I think most people here still really enjoy it.

Also just because a season was mediocre doesn't mean the next season is going to be. We had a mediocre season before(2) and it was followed by 2 excellent seasons.(3,4)

Apt101

I'm going to keep watching. The books and show have departed so much that spoilers are irrelevant - and largely have been for the past 1.5 seasons; anything that could have been legitimately spoiled by the books were so minor or obvious/telegraphed so loudly that even the "no book spoilers" thread participants saw it coming. And they run for cover, flop around and cry if someone even discusses something from the books that have absolutely nothing to do with the show and never will. I assume it will remain the same for the next two seasons.

Lothar

Banned
So...you're all going to keep watching?

Sure, even if it's terrible it can be fun to laugh at it. I wouldn't want to have missed the "You want a good girl but you need the bad pussy" line. Or the hilariously bad plot line of Brienne staring at a candle for a season, then leaving at the split second before Sansa shows up. I can't wait to see how awful it gets.

I'm guessing like 95% of this topic will continue watching. It'll damn near impossible to avoid spoilers and to be completely honest I think most people here still really enjoy it.

Also just because a season was mediocre doesn't mean the next season is going to be. We had a mediocre season before(2) and it was followed by 2 excellent seasons.(3,4)
But it's different this time, most of season 6 is going to be D&D Original Content™.

But it's different this time, most of season 6 is going to be D&D Original Content™.

We don't know that. It seems like they're still some stuff carried over from books 4/5 and there will be a a lot of book 6 content. The book 6 stuff is probably taken mostly from finished chapters which seems reasonable because the book has a majority of it finished(from the sounds of it). And by majority I mean above 50%. Hopefully that keeps D&D's original shit to a minimum.

ALSO GUYS DONT FORGET TYENE'S TITS

Sean C

We don't know that. It seems like they're still some stuff carried over from books 4/5 and there will be a a lot of book 6 content. The book 6 stuff is probably taken mostly from finished chapters which seems reasonable because the book has a majority of it finished(from the sounds of it). And by majority I mean above 50%. Hopefully that keeps D&D's original shit to a minimum.
Thing is, due to the changes that have already been made, huge swathes of Book 6 are really no longer relevant. Everything to do with Aegon, which has a knock-on effect on the entire Southern plot; some pretty significant alterations to Meereen; Sansa's plot is obviously totally different, as is all the Bolton/Theon/Northern stuff; no Lady Stoneheart, as far as we know, and all the entails for Brienne and Jaime.

Forkball

Your daily "Is Jon Snow dead?" article.

Is Jon Snow still alive? HBO’s top programming executive has answered the question once and for all.

That has been the major topic of debate among fans since Season 5’s finale saw Snow’s bloody demise at the hands of his fellow Night’s Watch soldiers.

Fans have been tracking the actor who plays Jon Kit Harington’s whereabouts, and playing close attention to his hair while trying to prove or disprove whether the character will return for Season 6.

“Dead is dead as dead as dead,” HBO’s programming president, Michael Lombardo, said Thursday during the Television Critics Association press tour in Beverly Hills, California.

He continued, “He be dead. Yes. From everything I’ve seen, heard, read, Jon Snow is indeed dead.”

Lombardo’s statement gels with what “GOT’s” showrunner and Harrington had already said the past: Jon Snow is dead.

The surviving “GOT” characters will be back when the series returns in Spring 2016.
Keep dancing around that bush.

I hope they've seen little to nothing of Winds

The less bastardized version of the real story the better. Let them sink on their own

I hope they spoil the shit out of the books, personally (and obviously they will). We book readers have gotten plenty of fun out of knowing what's coming for nonreaders and occasionally spoiling them. It's time for the tables to be turned.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
I think Season 6 can be good, they just have to work on stuff that is not their strong suit. Mainly original material and dialogue lines. In all honestly show only watchers don't even remember lines like "20 good men" or "bad pussy." They did hate Dorne though which is not a good thing since they are essentially the Starks of Part 2 of the series.

Dysun

I hope they spoil the shit out of the books, personally (and obviously they will). We book readers have gotten plenty of fun out of knowing what's coming for nonreaders and occasionally spoiling them. It's time for the tables to be turned.

What a load of shit. A small group of assholes spoiling people shouldn't be met with 'lol book readers now we get to turn the tides on you' type of mentality when most of us did no such thing, and often went out of their way to prevent it.

Experiencing the story vicariously for the first time through new eyes is nothing to be ashamed about either

Speevy

Banned
I just thought of a really no effort way for them to explain away Sansa's storyline with Littlefinger.

Some weird turn of events has her run smack into Littlefinger, his teleporter let's say.

She meets up with him and is pissed. She starts crying..."WHY DID YOU LEAVE ME WITH THEM? HE RAPED ME! You knew what they were and you did it anyway!" Bla, bla, bla.

Then Littlefinger is all like "I wanted to teach you a lesson. You always wanted to go home. You thought Winterfell was your home. You thought King's Landing was your home. None of those places is right for you. If you want to avenge your family, you have to stay with me."

So she does. So Littlefinger basically uses Sansa as he always intended to use her, as a rallying point for other lords and eventually he gathers enough men to take down the Boltons.

It's the most cynical, stupid, and obviously feasible solution I can see D and D devising for this absolute mess they've created.

Kain

The smart thing to do, marketing wise, is to hype up Jon's revival instead of ankwardly trying to hide it.

Otherwise, I don't see much incentive in watching season 6, at least for show people. What do they have look for? Season 5 were all let downs and sad/bad stories/pussies.

And before anyone mentions Dany: nobody likes her.

Season 5 was supposed to be mostly book material and look at how it turned out!

ALSO GUYS DONT FORGET TYENE'S TITS
I can just wait for a titties supercut :p

Speevy

Banned
Well that's how it works in television you see. If the latest season is weak than the whole show is shit and any upcoming seasons will automatically be shit.

But seriously where is the casting news?

Well imagine if Breaking Bad had a shit season. Some people hate season 2 for example. I love all of them, but let's say everything in season 2 was shit.

Now all Breaking Bad would have to do to recover from season 2 is have Walt and Jesse do things that are more exciting, and boom, season 2 is forgotten.

Game of Thrones exist in this weird little world where everything starts at a central point, either Robert's rebellion or Ned Stark's death, and webs out to family/lord allegiances, thematic connections, book connections, geographic connections, motivation connections, foreshadowing, prophecy, a supernatural undercurrent, and the general welfare of the people.

In a nutshell, it's a story about how people deal with the consequences of their most deeply held beliefs in a world that is relentlessly cruel and bleak.

Lannister, Baratheon, Stark, Tyrell, Bolton, Greyjoy, Frey, Tully, Martell, etc. They're all just spokes on a wheel. D and D broke the wheel.

It's the most cynical, stupid, and obviously feasible solution I can see D and D devising for this absolute mess they've created.

I guarantee that Littlefinger will die in season 6 by Sansa's order, maybe season 7 if they're going for 8 total seasons.

The way I see it they're splitting ADWS/TWOW's Winterfell storyline into 2 separate stories. Season 5 covered Stannis' march and defeat. Season 6 will cover the 'North Remembers' part of it.

Sansa will meet up with Brienne and head to the Wall to meet up with Jon, on the way they will be taken in by some Northern Lord who will be an amalgamation of the Greatjon/Manderly. Basically just a big angry fucker who wants to kill Boltons. Sansa will convince them to march on Winterfell. They'll be the new 'Stannis' in this storyline.

Meanwhile Littlefinger will return to Winterfell with Yohn Royce and Vale troops, having fed them some bullshit story about Sansa's marriage. He'll get wind of the impending Northern rebellion & plot to take out The Boltons and hand Winterfell back to Sansa. He will be the 'Manderly/North' element of this story, without the 'North Remembers' stuff.

Then it's fairly straightforward:

North attacks > LF betrays Boltons > North retakes Winterfell > Sansa spills the beans to Yohn Royce about Lysa's death and Littlefinger's role in Sansa's marriage to Ramsay and has him killed in retribution.

Speevy

Banned
I guarantee that Littlefinger will die in season 6 by Sansa's order, maybe season 7 if they're going for 8 total seasons.

The way I see it they're splitting ADWS/TWOW's Winterfell storyline into 2 separate stories. Season 5 covered Stannis' march and defeat. Season 6 will cover the 'North Remembers' part of it.

Sansa will meet up with Brienne and head to the Wall to meet up with Jon, on the way they will be taken in by some Northern Lord who will be an amalgamation of the Greatjon/Manderly. Basically just a big angry fucker who wants to kill Boltons. Sansa will convince them to march on Winterfell. They'll be the new 'Stannis' in this storyline.

Meanwhile Littlefinger will return to Winterfell with Yohn Royce and Vale troops, having fed them some bullshit story about Sansa's marriage. He'll get wind of the impending Northern rebellion & plot to take out The Boltons and hand Winterfell back to Sansa. He will be the 'Manderly/North' element of this story, without the 'North Remembers' stuff.

Then it's fairly straightforward:

North attacks > LF betrays Boltons > North retakes Winterfell > Sansa spills the beans to Yohn Royce about Lysa's death and Littlefinger's role in Sansa's marriage to Ramsay and has him killed in retribution.

All of what you're saying makes sense except that it's difficult to believe there are >5,000 as yet unseen northerners just waiting for the opportunity to kill Boltons.

All of the military defeats in this show so far have come as a result of strategic errors. Roose Bolton has already stated he doesn't have the men to hold the north if the other houses rebel. He already doesn't trust anyone.

It would be incredibly contrived to just say "Oh here are the 10,000 northerners who are ready. Someone has to get them going. Like they're demoralized at first, but someone brings them together.

All of what you're saying makes sense except that it's difficult to believe there are >5,000 as yet unseen northerners just waiting for the opportunity to kill Boltons.

All of the military defeats in this show so far have come as a result of strategic errors. Roose Bolton has already stated he doesn't have the men to hold the north if the other houses rebel. He already doesn't trust anyone.

It would be incredibly contrived to just say "Oh here are the 10,000 northerners who are ready. Someone has to get them going. Like they're demoralized at first, but someone brings them together.

Admittedly I came up with this theory before the season 5 finale aired and hadn't anticipated Roose spawning a few thousand cavalrymen at Winterfell.

I imagine that with the resurfacing of Ned Stark's first born daughter combined with the knowledge that she was repeatedly assaulted by Ramsay Bolton AND hearing that Ned's two youngest sons are still alive could whip the remaining Stark-loyal troops into a fervor and make them want to fight no matter the odds- see Hugo Wulls "bathe in Bolton blood" speech from the books.

Mix that with the army Littlefinger is presumably bringing from the Vale and they could stand a fighting chance.

I get what you mean though, it is all a bit unlikely. Maybe Sansa and LF will be reunited sooner rather than later, and they'll use the larger Vale force to spur the North into action- with the same consequences for Littlefinger once WInterfell has been taken. That would at least let Sansa be the one 'driving' her story & manipulating Littlefinger.

- Game of Thrones casts Ian McShane in season 6 mystery role
Huge Game of Thrones news: Ian McShane is coming to Westeros! The Emmy-winning British actor is joining Thrones season 6, EW has learned exclusively. The move returns the former Deadwood star to HBO for a role on the international fantasy sensation.

The show’s tight-lipped production will not reveal any details about McShane’s character, who’s coming on board for the most mysterious season yet. Thrones is preparing to dive headlong into narrative territory not yet revealed in author George R.R. Martin’s novels (and despite that opening sentence, McShane’s character could theoretically appear in Westeros or Essos or somewhere in between).

We can tell you, however, that sources say McShane has a relatively small amount of screen-time during the season, yet his character is of key importance.

A_Gorilla

Banned
Well that's how it works in television you see. If the latest season is weak than the whole show is shit and any upcoming seasons will automatically be shit.

That only applies to series that are heavy on continuity and plot.

No one says that early Simpsons episodes are bad just because the new ones are utter trash, for example.

Iksenpets

Banned

Nah, Randyll and Euron were listed as top roles for the season. He's going to have a lot of screentime. I could see Septon Meribald, but he doesn't seem like someone of key importance, unless he's going to do something big in Winds.

I would say Howland Reed if he weren't sort of the antithesis of Howland.

Could be something we don't really know about yet, similar to the slaver role last season.

bengraven

z212456385.gif

no shit i'm literally almost in tears with happiness over this news...i'm a massive mcshane fan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom