• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some casting news from WotW

- A rugged pirate character is needed for this scene "This actor has to be able to stand up in a crowd and make himself heard because he’s got a lot of forceful dialogue in one scene with leading cast members." kingsmoot probably

- The northern lords in the casting are confirmed to be Smalljon Umber and Lord Karstark

- Nikolaj was supposedly spotted in Iceland where he told a fan he was shooting a scene, Iceland was used for the Riverlands so jamie is off to the riverlands

- Kit has been spotted in London for the millionth time

Iksenpets

Banned

- A rugged pirate character is needed for this scene "This actor has to be able to stand up in a crowd and make himself heard because he’s got a lot of forceful dialogue in one scene with leading cast members." kingsmoot probably

- The northern lords in the casting are confirmed to be Smalljon Umber and Lord Karstark

- Nikolaj was supposedly spotted in Iceland where he told a fan he was shooting a scene, Iceland was used for the Riverlands so jamie is off to the riverlands

I would've thought that we'd have heard something about production returning to Iceland if they were going back there? There's been nothing besides this Nikolaj sighting to point to them returning to Iceland, right?

And I figured on the Umber/Karstark thing. They'll want to use the two houses that have already been established as good guys/bad guys to do their Northern Lords plot. Hopefully Smalljon can get some Manderly/Big Bucket Wull lines from the book. Shame they couldn't or didn't want to get Greatjon back though.

And I'm surprised they're going to actually do a Kingsmoot scene. I figured they'd just skip over that. I hope Yara has her pinecones.

It sounds more and more like

They didn't do some of the storylines in S5 to give Martin more time for next book. Lot of storylines in S6 will be from the already released books.

Iksenpets

Banned

They didn't do some of the storylines in S5 to give Martin more time for next book. Lot of storylines in S6 will be from the already released books.

I don't think they so much cared about giving Martin time, so much as they just didn't have the bandwidth to include everything, so they found every plot that could be conceivably delayed and did it.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!

Nah, sounds more like they planned for only 7 seasons and then changed it to 8 after S5 had already started filming.

I don't think they care about giving Martin time to help him out. I've always felt the show would get eight seasons simply because they don't have time to finish up in two seasons. This isn't like the books where Martin will have 3000 (manuscript) pages to resolve things. 20 episodes to finish would be quite tough. HBO's money probably further convinced them of this.

The other issue is that I think it's pretty clear the writers are lost without material to ape. Doing the Iron Isles and stretching out ADWD's northern arcs gives them a nice foundation of written material to work off while waiting for the next book.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I don't think they care about giving Martin time to help him out. I've always felt the show would get eight seasons simply because they don't have time to finish up in two seasons. This isn't like the books where Martin will have 3000 (manuscript) pages to resolve things. 20 episodes to finish would be quite tough. HBO's money probably further convinced them of this.

The other issue is that I think it's pretty clear the writers are lost without material to ape. Doing the Iron Isles and stretching out ADWD's northern arcs gives them a nice foundation of written material to work off while waiting for the next book.
I wish they skipped that stuff for good and used those 30 episodes to finish instead.

I wish they skipped that stuff for good and used those 30 episodes to finish instead.

Yeah, they are just going to have to rush stuff in the future instead because there will be way too much cover even in 8 or 9 seasons. But I've little faith left that they know what they are doing when it comes to structuring this adaptation.

Even though they're doing some ADWD/AFFC storylines in Season 6 I still think the majority of it will be TWoW stuff. They will have plenty of time to adapt book 6/7 within the time frame they have.

bengraven

Well I got that impression, but then other people started taking it seriously.

I know and the funny part is that I reacted to you to let you know it was all a joke and yet the seriousness happened AFTERWARDS. Oh well, I think the situation was funny altogether.

I'm kind of getting that feeling. That the non-book stuff from Season 5 was filler.

I can imagine Jaime will have to take off to the Riverlands now, in depression from the loss of his child.

"English actor has been spotted in English city where the majority of Englanders live".

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
All they really have left is the ironborn plot, some of Arya's plot, maybe Brienne's plot, maybe Jamie's plot, whatever they are doing with Sam's plot, and the northern plot. Again these are all small plots that will probably not have as much screen time as Jon, Tyrion, Dany and Cersei. Besides those, we have Theon and Sansa, Bran, Rickon and Osha, and all the small little characters. Also from what we have gathered they are condensing again with characters.

I am thinking Jamie could meet up with Brienne, sooner rather than later. Theon/Sansa meet up with Rickon/Osha. That could cut some time for other stuff...but they still have quite a few separate plots, like Sam's and Arya's, and now Dany's. Sam's should end up condensing by the end of the season with Euron being there along with Randly Tarly.

It's going to be interesting though whose dying this season. Sure we didn't know about Stannis dying, hell I thought he would win at Winterfell, and I still think he might in the books. Barristan was cut because he really didn't need be there anymore with Tyrion to council her. Hizdhar was not very important either, same with Meryn Trant. Myrcella as a character was just important for Jamie to grow and Cersei to go insane.

As for as people not dying I would say:

Jon
Cersei
Tyrion
Dany
Arya
Sansa
Bran
Sam
Jamie

I am basing this on viewpoints, and the only reason I have Jamie and Cersei there is because I think Jamie will kill Cersei, but not this season. Jon, Tyrion and Dany are the three main characters. Arya wouldn't make sense to die yet, same with Sansa since they really haven't done anything significant yet. Bran is too isolated to die and has not affected the plot yet. The only way Sam would go out is if he dies during this seasons battle while proving his father that he has courage.

I'm starting to lean towards the theory that Jon had a twin sister given to Howland Reed, who became Meera, and the story will shift to her. Jon will just be dead and all of this is theatrics. And if he does come back he won't be Azor Ahai.

For those who haven't heard the theory/don't recall specifics from the books: they look similar in appearance and were born in the same year, the year Lyanna died. Only Ned and Howland survived the Tower of Joy.

It makes me sad to see this theory pop up with sincerity again after years of dismissal and derision among book readers...

cLOUDo

but he is dead or is a son?

Regarding this news, does this help us back into who McShane is playing? Has there been any confirmation what storyline his character is going to be involved in?

Chris R

Regarding this news, does this help us back into who McShane is playing? Has there been any confirmation what storyline his character is going to be involved in?

I thought that
he was a lock for Pa Tarly, and that Sam's whole family will be cast this season and integral to the stuff going on in Oldtown/The Southern Reach?

Apt101

Season one Tyrion would have been really close to book Tyrion if they had just left out the excessive, joyful whoring. He was, at his core, the same insightful advice giver who saw the irony and comedy in his serious world. You can see the clear deviations they made to please the average television viewer. By the middle of season two book Tyrion was pretty much all but abandoned aside from his most core traits.

Apt101

PSA: Season 5 is available for purchase via various digital platforms today.

Or get the entire series for $14.99 via HBO Now. It's on Android now.

But I suggest getting the blurays myself. They have tremendous bonus content that helps to catch up non-readers with lore and politics without spoiling anything.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
Or get the entire series for $14.99 via HBO Now. It's on Android now.

But I suggest getting the blurays myself. They have tremendous bonus content that helps to catch up non-readers with lore and politics without spoiling anything.
Too bad the blu-Rays aren't our till February or March

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Yeah, they are just going to have to rush stuff in the future instead because there will be way too much cover even in 8 or 9 seasons. But I've little faith left that they know what they are doing when it comes to structuring this adaptation.

This.

The idea that they added a season and then had to "fill" is patently absurd. If the book series is going to conclude in 2 more books they will both have to be enormous and plot-heavy. There's no way they squeeze all that in two seasons without it feeling quite rushed.

I don't really think D&D have had a lot of foresight when planning and writing this series. Whether that's a talent issue or just because their production schedule is so damn demanding, I don't know. So many loose threads which might have been trimmed and so many original plotlines in the show that are completely unnecessary when you go back and add in their book counterparts. I still like the show, but it's a shame they couldn't plan this out better since the whole outline was available to them ahead of time.

Hey this bridge on the Ballintoy GoT set looks dangerous, hopefully no one falls off of it.
zPvH5eo.jpg

Iksenpets

Banned
but he is dead or is a son?

Karstark's sons are dead, too, so it's probably a brother or uncle. Closest book parallel character would be Arnulf Karstark, but I can't remember his exact relation to dead lord Rickard.

Hey this bridge on the Ballintoy GoT set looks dangerous, hopefully no one falls off of it.
zPvH5eo.jpg

Ok so someone just needs to point a camera at the bridge 24/7 for the next few days and maybe we'll find out who's playing Euron.

He's not gonna have any scenes. Euron is just gonna walk up to the bridge and be like "yup this is where he died." Then Asha will be like "who?" and Euron will say "Stan... I mean Balon."

"Theon, your dad was a great man. And you have him inside you, never forget that kid. I know it hurts now, I know. But you have to use that pain as fuel. And when you're ready, I'll have a job for you. Alright kid?"

M.Bluth

I'll laugh if Balon's just back for that one scene.

Word will come that Theon died jumping off Winterfell's walls. Balon will shout "My son already died, leave me alone, I'll head to my tower!" as he crosses the bridge, that's when Michiel Huisman shows up, and it goes a lot like MGS3.

The Pilou Asbæk casting is just a ruse!

Iksenpets

Banned
That guy is way not what I expected for Euron, but I guess it makes sense considering how they shifted the look of Theon and Asha. The Greyjoys may actually have the strongest family resemblances of any of the show houses, even though none of them look anything like their book counterparts. And without the younger uncles, I guess there's really no issue with making him the way, way younger brother of Balon.

I'm honestly really surprised they seem to be filming this large of a Kingsmoot scene though. I thought it would be gone for sure in the name of speeding things up. I hope we get a cool CGI whale skeleton.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom