• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iksenpets

Banned
*twiddles thumbs until Blackfish news*

I really want both Tullys back. It'd feel really weird if they just vanish, after they were sort of shoehorned into season 3. I'd like some Brotherhood character back, too, but casting sounds like they're writing all of them out and replacing them. Just one good Thoros scene is all I ask.

Montresor

They haven't shown Beric in a long time in the show, correct?

Hopefully they use that to their advantage, and explain that he's been missing for so long because a couple of days after the Red Wedding he sacrificed himself to bring Catelyn (aka Stoneheart) back to life... perfect excuse to bring Stoneheart in.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
My thoughts on the spoilers:

I wonder if Theon going back to the Iron Islands is entirely spoilers though or just something for him to do while they clear up the North this season. I also think think that Ramsay might survive S6 now since Theon is not going to be anywhere near him. Killing Roose and taking over Winterfell with the help of The Vale, and the loyal Northmen is probably how it will happen with Ramsay escaping in the process.

I also wonder if Arya really is going back to the Riverlands because of plot reasons...or filler. My guess might be on filler and I wonder who she would be even killing if sent by the Faceless men. She knows all the characters in that region except for maybe Bronn. I think that could be an interesting dynamic, but she would probably go after Jamie and get captured by Brienne. Than she would be taken back to King's Landing and see the Hound again in S7. This is all mindless speculation and probably wrong, but honestly I wonder what will happen. Maybe me up with Gendry?

Iksenpets

Banned
They haven't shown Beric in a long time in the show, correct?

Hopefully they use that to their advantage, and explain that he's been missing for so long because a couple of days after the Red Wedding he sacrificed himself to bring Catelyn (aka Stoneheart) back to life... perfect excuse to bring Stoneheart in.

Don't get your hopes up for Stoneheart, man. All signs still point to "not happening".

My thoughts on the spoilers:

I wonder if Theon going back to the Iron Islands is entirely spoilers though or just something for him to do while they clear up the North this season. I also think think that Ramsay might survive S6 now since Theon is not going to be anywhere near him. Killing Roose and taking over Winterfell with the help of The Vale, and the loyal Northmen is probably how it will happen with Ramsay escaping in the process.

I also wonder if Arya really is going back to the Riverlands because of plot reasons...or filler. My guess might be on filler and I wonder who she would be even killing if sent by the Faceless men. She knows all the characters in that region except for maybe Bronn. I think that could be an interesting dynamic, but she would probably go after Jamie and get captured by Brienne. Than she would be taken back to King's Landing and see the Hound again in S7. This is all mindless speculation and probably wrong, but honestly I wonder what will happen. Maybe me up with Gendry?

I think with the Theon thing they're probably merging the Kingsmoot from Feast with whatever move Asha is eventually going to make to try to invalidate it with Theon. I have no idea what they will do to get Theon to go back though, since Yara isn't around to take him back, and Stannis isn't around to try and use him as an envoy. Who would have interest in sending him back there or why would he have any interest in going back on his own? Maybe he hears about things an decides he has to go back and speak for Yara, after all she went through trying to save him?

As for Arya, I increasingly get the feeling that the Riverlands is going to be a major converging point between a lot of different plot lines in both the books and the show.

In the books we have Jaime and Brienne already there, along with Stoneheart. I think Sansa could end up there as well, if theories about her getting abducted from the Vale are correct. It would be easy enough for her captor to try to take her through the Riverlands en route to KL and have them get captured by the Brotherhood. Then if something is going to bring Arya to the region, you have the set up to have all three Stark women reunited, at the same time you're getting the Jaime/Brienne/Stoneheart drama and revenge against the Freys. Also, I think in the books you could get Stannis marching south, and getting his eventual run in with Brienne in the Riverlands instead of outside of Winterfell. So you get Brienne's revenge against Stannis, Stoneheart's revenge against the Freys, whatever climax is going to come out of the Brienne/Jaime relationship, and the Stark girls possibly reuniting and seeing what's become of their mother all at once. It would be a pretty crazy climax.

Kain

About Jaime

Soooo after his daughter dies, in front of him, he comes back to KL and then they send him straight to the Riverlands to do exactly what? Something about that irks me.

cLOUDo

About Jaime

Soooo after his daughter dies, in front of him, he comes back to KL and then they send him straight to the Riverlands to do exactly what? Something about that irks me.

yeah, i was expecting
some kind of revenge against Dorne

yeah, i was expecting
some kind of revenge against Dorne

He has to report the news back to Cersei. She will inevitably blame him and go absolutely nuts. Jaime will turn his back on her for good and leave on a mission of his own choosing. Most likely, to find and aid Brienne.

I'm guessing that the Kingsmoot is between Theon, Yara and Euron, then.

Hope it's better in the show than it was in the books, mind. Fuck the Kingsmoot. :(

About Jaime

It'll be interesting how they do this. You would think that sending Jaime and the Lannister army out of KL after Cersei's fall from grace would be idiotic. But we don't know what the Tyrell plot will be. If they keep to the books and have Mace or Randyl Tarly storm to KL with a Tyrell army in response to Maergery's imprisonment...having the Lannister army leave the city would make no fucking sense.

The other issue is Euron. Rushing to get Cersei thrown in jail really looks like a dumb idea now that Euron is in the show. The biggest reason Euron had success is because of Cersei's dithering approach. Obviously the show can create some scenario in which Kevan is somehow incompetent or simply blindsided by Euron, but I don't trust D&D to pull that off logically. In the books the only reason the Tyrells couldn't immediately respond to Euron was due to Cersei demanding Dragonstone be addressed first. That won't be an issue in the show, now that Cersei isn't in power.

Or...maybe they just kill off Kevan in the first couple episodes and get Cersei back in the driver's seat.

cLOUDo

He has to report the news back to Cersei. She will inevitably blame him and go absolutely nuts. Jaime will turn his back on her for good and leave on a mission of his own choosing. Most likely, to find and aid Brienne.

this "new" jaime is so lame
what happened to the jaime that went nuts when his brother was kidnapped?

Iksenpets

Banned
It'll be interesting how they do this. You would think that sending Jaime and the Lannister army out of KL after Cersei's fall from grace would be idiotic. But we don't know what the Tyrell plot will be. If they keep to the books and have Mace or Randyl Tarly storm to KL with a Tyrell army in response to Maergery's imprisonment...having the Lannister army leave the city would make no fucking sense.

The other issue is Euron. Rushing to get Cersei thrown in jail really looks like a dumb idea now that Euron is in the show. The biggest reason Euron had success is because of Cersei's dithering approach. Obviously the show can create some scenario in which Kevan is somehow incompetent or simply blindsided by Euron, but I don't trust D&D to pull that off logically. In the books the only reason the Tyrells couldn't immediately respond to Euron was due to Cersei demanding Dragonstone be addressed first. That won't be an issue in the show, now that Cersei isn't in power.

Or...maybe they just kill off Kevan in the first couple episodes and get Cersei back in the driver's seat.

Last year I was thinking they could use the idea of Stannis as a threat in the North to make Jaime reinforcing the Freys a necessity, but now that they got rid of that possibility, I don't see any smart reason for it to happen. They'll probably just have Jaime huff off and decide he's going to go find Brienne.

Sean C

I think Sansa could end up there as well, if theories about her getting abducted from the Vale are correct. It would be easy enough for her captor to try to take her through the Riverlands en route to KL and have them get captured by the Brotherhood.
I don't think that's very likely at all. The High Road is closed due to snow, and marauded by the mountain clans anyway. If somebody did succeed in kidnapping her, they'd have to leave by sea.

Last year I was thinking they could use the idea of Stannis as a threat in the North to make Jaime reinforcing the Freys a necessity, but now that they got rid of that possibility, I don't see any smart reason for it to happen. They'll probably just have Jaime huff off and decide he's going to go find Brienne.
I think a severing with Cersei and trying to find Brienne is more likely than marching the Lannister army (or a small portion of it, no way he just takes all of Kevan's forces).
I don't think I'm a D&D apologist but explanation offered here makes it easier to live with situations where the show falls short of the books:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X98xPgTSxgA

David did Aisha Tyler's podcast Girl on Guy a while back that has lots of interesting discussion about adaption of books. It centers around what he considered a good collaborative experience (work with Spike Lee on 25th Hour) and not a good experience (Troy with Wolfgang Peterson).

bengraven

Digging these spoilers.

Makes me definitely feel like Season 5 had a lot of filler for certain characters though.

And not sure if
Arya is ready to come to Westeros yet.

Lothar

Banned
Any word on what Sansa is doing? I haven't looked at the spoilers but I have an idea of what everybody else might be doing. No clue for her.

Sean C

Any word on what Sansa is doing? I haven't looked at the spoilers but I have an idea of what everybody else might be doing. No clue for her.
She's been in Belfast a number of times, though not for a week or two.
The only actual filming spoiler was that she filming at the Winterfell external set a while back, seemingly without Alfie Allen, but around the same time Aiden Gillen was there.

In general, we know there's going to be a Northern political story, with Littlefinger and the Valemen coming, and both Smalljon Umber and a new Lord Karstark appearing. Sansa is presumably involved in that.

CassSept

I completely forgot they killed Myrcella in the finale haha.

I'd say I'm excited over these spoilers but I know very well it can go sour really fast.

- One more casting scoop via EW:
HBO’s Game of Thrones has cast UnREAL star Freddie Stroma in season 6.

The English actor is going to play Dickon Tarly—Samwell’s brother.

Stroma is best known for his role on Lifetime’s acclaimed dramedy UnREAL where he played the sought-after bachelor on a fictionalized The Bachelor-type reality show. He also appeared in the final two Harry Potter films and has a role in the upcoming Michael Bay movie 13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi. He is likely to appear in the second season of UnREAL, as well.

There’s not much known about Dickon from George R.R. Martin’s novels upon which Thrones is based. Dickon is described as Sam’s younger and more physically capable brother. Their father, the military commander Lord Randyll Tarly, cruely forced Sam to choose between joining the Night’s Watch or death so that Dickon could be his heir instead. When we last saw Sam in season 5, he was leaving Castle Black with Gilly for Oldtown to study to become a maester.

RaidenZR

Just caught up with the news. So let me get this straight...

They are doing the Iron Islanders and Kingsmoot storylines to some extent but haven't casted a Victarion?

Am I crazy here or would that have been a softball, no-brainer character inclusion for good, fun, and chew-the-scenery-and-dialogue-TV purposes?

They are doing the Iron Islanders and Kingsmoot storylines to some extent but haven't casted a Victarion?

Am I crazy here or would that have been a softball, no-brainer character inclusion for good, fun, and chew-the-scenery-and-dialogue-TV purposes?

If Theon's actor was really seen at the Kingsmoot set, maybe they're having Theon take over Victarion's role.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
If Theon's actor was really seen at the Kingsmoot set, maybe they're having Theon take over Victarion's role.

Swapping best greyjoy for worst greyjoy is not a very good trade.

RaidenZR

Yeah, that sounds terrible. No way I'll buy show Theon's current state, or even re-kindled state, playing up the arrogant Victarion-ness now.

I always felt like Victarion was 10% threat / 90% ridiculousness & hammy cheese- which I grew to really enjoy. The show could use more viewer-centric levity mixed with their "threatening" characters. I wanted to laugh at his confidence leading him to destruction...

Oh well.

Iksenpets

Banned
Swapping best greyjoy for worst greyjoy is not a very good trade.

As someone who thinks Vic is the lamest Greyjoy, I disagree, but I know he has a lot of fans, and I'm kind of bummed for them now that it seems all but official we're going to get every other Greyjoy but not him.

As for the Kingsmoot itself, I think it's more likely that Yara is both Asha and Vic for the purposes of the election. Damphair endorses her as Balon's true heir and she pushes for making peace (hopefully with a chest full of pinecones). Then Euron is like nah war is still great now that I have magic. I just can't see Theon wanting to be king of anything now. If he's there, I think it's most likely to speak for Yara and to waive his right to inherit in favor of her.

D

Deleted member 18827

Unconfirmed Member
Dickless Theon taking over Victarions role?
Sounds like the TV show, so I'll take it as confirmed

Is Dickon really going to play a big part in the series?
I guess he's going to be the Willas Tyrell in the show?

I'm guessing Garlan. In th book Garlan is leading a Tyrell host against Euron at the Shield Isles. I'm guessing Dickon will take on Euron somewhere in the show. Possibly Oldtown.

Speevy

Banned
So Yara "My Brother is Dead" Greyjoy just welcomes him back to the Iron Islands with their baby uncles. The age problem with Balon's brothers should have been fixed.

Patriots7

I'm guessing Garlan. In th book Garlan is leading a Tyrell host against Euron at the Shield Isles. I'm guessing Dickon will take on Euron somewhere in the show. Possibly Oldtown.
Ahh I guess that must be it. I just remember GRRM saying something along the lines of Willas playing a huge role in the next books and how unfortunate it was that he was cut in the show. So I thought they'd give the Willas role to Dickon and the Garlan role to Loras (since he kind of is already a combination of Loras/Garlan).

Victarion

Injustica.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom