• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Koko

Banned
That guy is way not what I expected for Euron, but I guess it makes sense considering how they shifted the look of Theon and Asha. The Greyjoys may actually have the strongest family resemblances of any of the show houses, even though none of them look anything like their book counterparts. And without the younger uncles, I guess there's really no issue with making him the way, way younger brother of Balon.

I'm honestly really surprised they seem to be filming this large of a Kingsmoot scene though. I thought it would be gone for sure in the name of speeding things up. I hope we get a cool CGI whale skeleton.

:/

Give me my Aeron and Victarion.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
That guy is way not what I expected for Euron, but I guess it makes sense considering how they shifted the look of Theon and Asha. The Greyjoys may actually have the strongest family resemblances of any of the show houses, even though none of them look anything like their book counterparts. And without the younger uncles, I guess there's really no issue with making him the way, way younger brother of Balon.

I'm honestly really surprised they seem to be filming this large of a Kingsmoot scene though. I thought it would be gone for sure in the name of speeding things up. I hope we get a cool CGI whale skeleton.

I'm thinking it will be a season long arc. They love having battles at the end of the season. Balon dies in the first or second episode. Yara returns home. Kingsmoot in the 4th or 5th episode. After that they just work too making it to Oldtown. I wonder what they are going to do with Yara though.

About the casting though, I just hope they actually make him a character because they need a new villain with Ramsay probably dying soon.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Eh. Not sold on that Euron yet.

Sources say that the Kingsmoot was at least partially filmed today. The scene was very visible from the cliff paths nearby. Yara was present for the scene, as expected.
There was no Victarion, as we’ve also been predicting for some time.

Boo!

Our source did see someone who appeared to be Aeron, playing the Drowned Priest’s role in leading the Kingsmoot and speaking often. They didn’t think it was the same actor from season 2 who appeared as a Drowned Priest, or anyone they recognized but it was difficult to tell for certain in this case.

Yay!

Not familiar with the actor, but they've certainly earned the benefit of the doubt on casting.

It'll be interesting to see him in character, I'm sure they'll have been looking a lot more rugged than those shots Watchers has of him.

bengraven

Euron Greyjoy:

CN2F7AfUYAEsr8-.jpg:large

That's not Daario.

michiel-huisman-22-hot-gifs-serious.gif

Isn't Euron supposed to be in his like mid thirties?

If the speculation that he's going to be in a large-scale battle at Oldtown is true, I would think we'll get some pics eventually on the streets in Girona.
I'm surprised we haven't seen kingsmoot set pics already.

Iksenpets

Banned
Isn't Euron supposed to be in his like mid thirties?

I'm surprised we haven't seen kingsmoot set pics already.

Usually we never really get pics of big outdoor scenes. I guess it's too hard to approach those sets unnoticed. It's the city street scenes where we get lots of leaks.

Ikael

The recent decisions regarding S6 doesn't bode well for the show, me thinks:

- Show watchers will logically view the last minute inclusion of the Greyjoys as a Deus Ex Machina since they have been absent for one entire season and have no attachment to them outside of Theon whatsoever

- Including previously deleted plots such as Griff or the Ironborn council rather than make the plot advance would kill the main advantage that the show have over the books (less bloat)

- Not to mention that If they keep delaying Daenerys landing in order to introduce even more plots rather than solving the already introduced ones, it will only help to increase frustration to absolutely outrageous levels

This is shaping up to be an absolute clusterfuck of a season. I really would like to be proven wrong, tought :/

Euron

- Show watchers will logically view the last minute inclusion of the Greyjoys as a Deus Ex Machina since they have been absent for one entire season and have no attachment to them outside of Theon whatsoever

- Including previously deleted plots such as Griff or the Ironborn council rather than make the plot advance would kill the main advantage that the show have over the books (less bloat)

- Not to mention that If they keep delaying Daenerys landing in order to introduce even more plots rather than solving the already introduced ones, it will only help to increase frustration to absolutely outrageous levels

This is shaping up to be an absolute clusterfuck of a season. I really would like to be proven wrong, tought :/
Wait what is this about
Griff
showing up?

A Deus Ex Machina? I don't think that means what you think it means

TeaJay

he looks a bit too nice but I can still see it.
still wanted mikkelsen ;(

He looks like Joshua Jackson with a beard but he's a good actor. I watched "Borgen" when they aired it out here.

It is very weird though that Balon's actor is 70 and Asbaek is 33.

Moff

maybe they'll make him balon's son. not sure if anything about they greyjoy family was mentioned in the show, but I don't see them having a problem with a retcon like that

Iksenpets

Banned
maybe they'll make him balon's son. not sure if anything about they greyjoy family was mentioned in the show, but I don't see them having a problem with a retcon like that

I don't think they can make him a son without causing some issues, since they were pretty clear that Theon was legally the heir, and Yara was raised to replace him. It would kind of ruin any plot around Yara having the superior claim, and it would be really weird that none of the Greyjoys ever mentioned their brother. They could definitely rewrite him as a cousin though. Maybe Balon's brothers died during the war, but one of them had a son, Euron, who lived?

Tuffty

I know I'm a random internet guy and you don't need to trust me at all, but my friend was at Ballintoy Harbor today to visit and saw
Alfie Allen settle into a place for lunch. Considering they've used the Harbor to film scenes in the Iron Islands, I wonder if they intend to have him go back?

But who can say, could also be for something entirely different. Just speculating on my part.

Robert Render cast in an unspecified role.

Robert-Render-photo-1-810x539.jpg

Maybe one of the northern lords or part of the brotherhood?

I know I'm a random internet guy and you don't need to trust me at all, but my friend was at Ballintoy Harbor today to visit and saw
Alfie Allen settle into a place for lunch. Considering they've used the Harbor to film scenes in the Iron Islands, I wonder if they intend to have him go back?

But who can say, could also be for something entirely different. Just speculating on my part.
I think he posted something on social media about being in a hotel in ballintoy.

Ikael

A Deus Ex Machina? I don't think that means what you think it means

A plot device that shuddenly changes the game out of nowhere? Yes, from a show watcher perspective, the Ironborn are a Deus Ex Machina, since they have been a non-entity for the most part of the last seasons.

Last time show watchers saw the Greyjoys, they were running away scared from dogs. That's the last mental image that they have of them. Show watchers don't have our reader knowdegle about their cappabilities, fleet or whereabouts during the the 4 King's war other than "Theon betrayed the Starks".
From the look of the castin news, the Ironborn are shuddenly going to become a pivotal, crucial superpower in Game of Thrones out of several seasons of nothing happening with them. Hell, Euron wasn't even mentioned nor referenced by other characters, same as Balon
. Shit writting at its finest.

Tuffty

^ How is it any different than in the books, considering Euron, Victarion and the like were completely background characters and only brought to prominence in AFFC/ADWD with the same deus ex machina?

Montresor

I wish I never read the books. Or I wish that I waited until all the HBO seasons were done and then started reading the books.

I started consuming Game of Thrones media by first watching the first four seasons of the show, which I absolutely loved. Then I read the first four books and loved them all. I got bored and couldn't start book 5 (I plan to start it some day).

Then I started season 5 of the show, and I was so turned off and disappointed that I might be turned off the whole series now. Looking back I'm so deeply disappointed that the show makers decided to never have a faithful, significant focus on the Kingsguard roster. My favourite chapter so far has been the chapter in either book 3 or 4 where Jaime Lannister, as Lord Commander of the Kingsguard, has a sit-down meeting with all of the Kingsguard (minus Arys Oakheart, who's in Dorne), and one by one interviews them. It's just incredible/beautiful. I love exposition in media. I love to watch/listen/read about fascinating conversations between characters. And in that chapter Jaime interviews essentially the whole Kingsguard roster one by one, first with Ser Boros, Ser Meryn, Ser Osmund (the pieces of shit first), then Ser Balon and Ser Loras (actual decent members of the Kingsguard). You cannot pull a scene like that off in the show when the show likes to pretend that half the Kingsguard doesn't exist.

Other changes like what they did with Brienne and Lady Stoneheart don't sit well with me... to be fair, I'll go ahead and say I haven't read book 5 yet, so I could be talking about of my butt, but in book 4 Brienne spends 1000 pages walking around failing to find either Arya or Sansa and then she gets hanged by Lady Stoneheart. In the show they instead have Brienne find both Stark girls and looks like the show runners have no intention at all of having Zombie Catelyn Stark hang Brienne. =/

And the whole Dorne sub-plot was disappointing too. The Dorne plot is supposed to be about the seven Sand Snakes fuming for revenge! About Arianne Martell and her torid love affair with Ser Arys Oakheart! Their attempt to CROWN Myrcella! Not to kill her, but to actually crown her. That subject was not discussed at all by the characters in Dorne in the show.

And instead of sending Jaime Lannister to Riverrun to parlay with Brynden Tully (like in Book 4), he gets sent off with Bronn of all people to have a wacky adventure in Dorne. Another of my favourite parts in the whole book series is Jaime's mezmerizing dialogue with Brynden Tully outside of the Tully stronghold in book 4... I got goosebumps reading the negotiations between Jaime and Brynden, especially when Brynden says something like "Why not have a single combat against me?"

Season 5 was the most popular season so far. If that didn't affect how the general audience views the show, nothing they can do going forward will.

Tuck

I wish I never read the books. Or I wish that I waited until all the HBO seasons were done and then started reading the books.

I started consuming Game of Thrones media by first watching the first four seasons of the show, which I absolutely loved. Then I read the first four books and loved them all. I got bored and couldn't start book 5 (I plan to start it some day).

Then I started season 5 of the show, and I was so turned off and disappointed that I might be turned off the whole series now. Looking back I'm so deeply disappointed that the show makers decided to never have a faithful, significant focus on the Kingsguard roster. My favourite chapter so far has been the chapter in either book 3 or 4 where Jaime Lannister, as Lord Commander of the Kingsguard, has a sit-down meeting with all of the Kingsguard (minus Arys Oakheart, who's in Dorne), and one by one interviews them. It's just incredible/beautiful. I love exposition in media. I love to watch/listen/read about fascinating conversations between characters. And in that chapter Jaime interviews essentially the whole Kingsguard roster one by one, first with Ser Boros, Ser Meryn, Ser Osmund (the pieces of shit first), then Ser Balon and Ser Loras (actual decent members of the Kingsguard). You cannot pull a scene like that off in the show when the show likes to pretend that half the Kingsguard doesn't exist.

Other changes like what they did with Brienne and Lady Stoneheart don't sit well with me... to be fair, I'll go ahead and say I haven't read book 5 yet, so I could be talking about of my butt, but in book 4 Brienne spends 1000 pages walking around failing to find either Arya or Sansa and then she gets hanged by Lady Stoneheart. In the show they instead have Brienne find both Stark girls and looks like the show runners have no intention at all of having Zombie Catelyn Stark hang Brienne. =/

And the whole Dorne sub-plot was disappointing too. The Dorne plot is supposed to be about the seven Sand Snakes fuming for revenge! About Arianne Martell and her torid love affair with Ser Arys Oakheart! Their attempt to CROWN Myrcella! Not to kill her, but to actually crown her. That subject was not discussed at all by the characters in Dorne in the show.

And instead of sending Jaime Lannister to Riverrun to parlay with Brynden Tully (like in Book 4), he gets sent off with Bronn of all people to have a wacky adventure in Dorne. Another of my favourite parts in the whole book series is Jaime's mezmerizing dialogue with Brynden Tully outside of the Tully stronghold in book 4... I got goosebumps reading the negotiations between Jaime and Brynden, especially when Brynden says something like "Why not have a single combat against me?"
Lack of stoneheart and the complete bastardization of the dorne plotline were definitely two things I hated about season 5. I'm glad they're picking the greyjoy plotline back up. I wonder if any other cut plotlines will appear then too.

Iksenpets

Banned
is victarion greyjoy going to be in S6?

No signs of it. Looks like it's just going to be Euron and ol' Dampy.

SPOILERS:
The Arya and Theon bits feel like the first real future spoilers we're getting out of all of the season 6 filming news. Everything else so far probably could've been predicted pretty easily just based on Feast/Dance/preview chapter material.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom