• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iksenpets

Banned

Family dinner scenes are the best. Last season's Bolton Tamil dinner was one of their best bits.

Also, with scenes at Horn Hill, and the lack of any Citadel casting so far, I wonder if somehow Sam gets sidetracked when he goes to drop off Gilly in a way that delays a lot of that stuff. Especially now that they've expanded to 8 seasons, I wonder if the stuff at the Citadel has been pushed back a season to give us more intro to the Tarlys now.

Family dinner scenes are the best. Last season's Bolton Tamil dinner was one of their best bits.

Also, with scenes at Horn Hill, and the lack of any Citadel casting so far, I wonder if somehow Sam gets sidetracked when he goes to drop off Gilly in a way that delays a lot of that stuff. Especially now that they've expanded to 8 seasons, I wonder if the stuff at the Citadel has been pushed back a season to give us more intro to the Tarlys now.

According to a commenter on this story on Watchers, the scenes at this castle are all being shot by Jack Bender. If true, that would mean Sam and Gilly get there in either episode 5 or 6. Given that timeline I'd say there won't be a ton of Citadel content for Sam in season 6, he'll probably be there for the last quarter of the season.

Iksenpets

Banned
According to a commenter on this story on Watchers, the scenes at this castle are all being shot by Jack Bender. If true, that would mean Sam and Gilly get there in either episode 5 or 6. Given that timeline I'd say there won't be a ton of Citadel content for Sam in season 6, he'll probably be there for the last quarter of the season.

Huh. So maybe something like his ship gets to Oldtown in episode 2 or 3, but he has to take Gilly to Horn Hill and arrives there in 5. Stays for a few episodes, then maybe can head back for the end of the season and be set up for season 7. Though that would probably also delay any Ironborn attack on Oldtown to season 7 as well, in which case I'm not really sure what their plot would be building to this season. Should be interesting to see where it's going.

Maisie filming some stunts in Girona

1441524020752.jpg

No Kit sighting for a while now, the dream is dead.

Time to start a Team A (Kit returns) or Team B (He doesn't).

Put me down for Team A.

Apt101

I just finished my re-read of a few books, and I have to say it seems like the best generation died prior to AGoT. Arthur Dayne and the other Kingsguard. Robert Baratheon in his prime, singular of purpose and perhaps the finest warrior in all of the books and prequels. The man he killed, Rhaegar. Young Eddard and Jaime. Together they could have stood against the others. Now it's just fucking Jon Snuuu. I guess that's just how it works.

I just finished my re-read of a few books, and I have to say it seems like the best generation died prior to AGoT. Arthur Dayne and the other Kingsguard. Robert Baratheon in his prime, singular of purpose and perhaps the finest warrior in all of the books and prequels. The man he killed, Rhaegar. Young Eddard and Jaime. Together they could have stood against the others. Now it's just fucking Jon Snuuu. I guess that's just how it works.

That's just because you haven't read POV chapters of Arthur Dayne shitting his pants. If GRRM were writing those guys as something more than legends from the past they'd look just as flawed and fucked up as everyone else.

Apt101

That's just because you haven't read POV chapters of Arthur Dayne shitting his pants. If GRRM were writing those guys as something much than legends from the past they'd look just as flawed and fucked up as everyone else.

I have a hard time believing Arthur Dayne, the nightmare of Eddard Stark, would have been the least bit craven. He was at least the man Eddard was and he didn't shit his pants.

Apt101

I really like Arthur Dayne. He's a legend, and even carries the right name. A sword that came from someplace alien, a title that no one else has been worthy to hold but legends tale of another to take his place/he will return, bla bla. One of the less subtle things GRRM has written. But it works so well.

That said young Robert Baratheon could have taken him. Bobby B was a god of war.

I have a hard time believing Arthur Dayne, the nightmare of Eddard Stark, would have been the least bit craven. He was at least the man Eddard was and he didn't shit his pants.

That was just a throwaway example. The point is that these guys look so legendary because they are myths from the past and the reality of them would be much different.

Apt101

That was just a throwaway example. The point is that these guys look so legendary because they are myths from the past and the reality of them would be much different.

In a series of books with vague legends and omens, that dream of Eddard always struck me as literal. He (Arthur) was that bad ass, and I think that was the point. Seven against three and all that. Probably also not a coincidence that the two wielders of great swords were the final two combatants with a third party swinging the balance and the winner feeling guilty about it. It was unfair but that's life, the tone of the story. I think it also speaks to why Eddard and Howland didn't keep touch afterwards: shame.

Or maybe I'm reading too much into it. I think it would be really cool if someone else becomes the Sword of the Morning.

Moff

I'm on the team that says the tales of legends are vastly exaggerated
I also like the idea that we might get the actual "song of ice and fire" in one of the books or outside of the books where the tale of tyrion, jon and dany is summarized and vastly exaggerated as well

I also like the idea that we might get the actual "song of ice and fire" in one of the books or outside of the books where the tale of tyrion, jon and dany is summarized and vastly exaggerated as well

I'm guessing the epilogue at the end of Winds is a bard retelling the story in the style of the songs.

Turin

Banned

Indeed.

I expect most everyone will be long dead by the end of DoS. Except Bran might still be in the trees and....... how long are direwolf lifespans?

That's just because you haven't read POV chapters of Arthur Dayne shitting his pants. If GRRM were writing those guys as something much than legends from the past they'd look just as flawed and fucked up as everyone else.

Yea. So much of the series is essentially a deconstruction of romanticism/hero fantasy. Arthur Dayne is the greatest most honorable knight of his era and yet he not only did nothing as Aerys raped his own wife, he conspired with Aerys' son to usurp the throne. Jaime Lannister could have become one of the most honorable knights in modern history (and some might still argue he is...), yet stabbed his king in the back. Robert Baratheon fought a noble war to win back his love yet quickly became a horrible king. These characters weren't as virtuous or great as they are remembered, and I expect their character to be further decreased by the end of the series. Martin has said we'll learn more about Dayne, for instance.

If we just look at it from a "who would win" perspective sure, a lot of these guys would do well against the Others. Just from a leadership perspective you'd have Ned Stark, Rhaegar Targaryen, Robert Baratheon, Arthur Dayne, Barristan Selmy, Jon Arryn, Jon Connington, Lewyn Martell, Gerold Hightower. Not to mention that this would be the fight Rhaegar was born to fight (or at least, thought he was born to fight), and Arthur Dayne probably had Dawn.

Yea there would be wildcards like Tywin Lannister and Roose Bolton conspiring to main their power while expending others, but surely people like Rhaegar/Ned/Jon Arryn could hold them in line.

GoT is casting a theater troupe

In addition to the theater characters, we also have:

Young Stunner. Aged 18 – 20. A stunner of a brunette. She has a couple of scenes, and a great final scene where there is a major twist. This role shot the week of August 5th in Belfast.

Sublime courtesan. Aged 20 – 25. This beautiful courtesan appears at a party where a high-born woman has employed her services. Shoots around the week of September 15th.

Long-haired warrior. Aged 30s – 40s. The show is looking for a non-white, tall muscular actor with long dark hair, a man with a powerful, warrior’s physique, intimidating presence and charisma. It’s noted that he’ll be learning lines in a fictional language learned phonetically, so we can safely assume this character is a Dothraki. The character has a lot to say in one big set-piece scene, in season 6. His shooting dates are currently set for the first two weeks of November.
Young Stunner might be our Lyanna

Braavos Action and Soldiers from an Unexpected House Spotted, More New Casting and DeObia Oparei on season 6
Tyrell soldiers

Richard E. Grant joins the cast of Game of Thrones in a unknown role
Grant.jpg

Apt101

Young stunner with a major twist, I can't think of anyone else other than Lyanna. Unless there is some crazy shit coming from way back never mentioned in the show.

I hope to see more Asha this season. Or whatever they named her.

psaman17

Banned

None of those old farts have a lava fist.

Apt101

Tower of Joy? Kingsmoot? What's happening?!!!?? I need to reread these books! ARgghhh

I'm thinking Tower of Joy. Though I don't recall reading any casting news that would suggest the last three Kingsguard were cast. It might just be the scene involving young Eddard making his promise to Lyanna in her bed of blood.

Iksenpets

Banned
I'm thinking Tower of Joy. Though I don't recall reading any casting news that would suggest the last three Kingsguard were cast. It might just be the scene involving young Eddard making his promise to Lyanna in her bed of blood.

Dayne is definitely being cast, but Whent and Hightower may be cut.

If they're setting up Jon's parentage presumably they would follow that up with his "resurrection" right? I imagine they'll drag it out as long as they can before they revive him for dramatic effect and ratings but it has to come at some point. When are we thinking? Does anyone have any insight into how he'll be revived or possibly what episode-ish? Possible theories based on casting and filming info etc?

Edit: I just realized this may be off limit questioning because of spoilers past the most recent book so maybe we shouldn't answer any of these. I'm not sure :(

Apt101

If they're setting up Jon's parentage presumably they would follow that up with his "resurrection" right? I imagine they'll drag it out as long as they can before they revive him for dramatic effect and ratings but it has to come at some point. When are we thinking? Does anyone have any insight into how he'll be revived or possibly what episode-ish? Possible theories based on casting and filming info etc?

Who knows? We're past the point of the books when it comes to Jon Snow now.

Iksenpets

Banned

Edit: I just realized this may be off limit questioning because of spoilers past the most recent book so maybe we shouldn't answer any of these. I'm not sure :(

I don't think any details that could help guess that stuff have leaked out yet. If they had, then this thread would be a sea of black bars. All we really know is that
Kit Harrington was in Belfast while they were filming, for at least a few weeks. That's all anyone really has to go off of.

It better not take more than 2 episodes into S6.

From the rumors it looks like
they will be doing multiple scenes with young ned and Lyanna throughout the season culminating in Tower of Joy near the end of the season. So Jon's resurrection might be in the last few episodes of Season 6.

NeoGiff

Guys... I've been completely out of the loop for a couple of weeks due to a holiday and moving etc... and I don't want to trawl through lots of Watchers articles, so can someone help me cheat and give me a summary of the latest filming/casting developments?

I'm lazy.

cLOUDo

From the rumors it looks like
they will be doing multiple scenes with young ned and Lyanna throughout the season culminating in Tower of Joy near the end of the season. So Jon's resurrection might be in the last few episodes of Season 6.

like the last season of Boardwalk empire?
imokwiththis.jpg

Montresor

Yea. So much of the series is essentially a deconstruction of romanticism/hero fantasy. Arthur Dayne is the greatest most honorable knight of his era and yet he not only did nothing as Aerys raped his own wife, he conspired with Aerys' son to usurp the throne. Jaime Lannister could have become one of the most honorable knights in modern history (and some might still argue he is...), yet stabbed his king in the back. Robert Baratheon fought a noble war to win back his love yet quickly became a horrible king. These characters weren't as virtuous or great as they are remembered, and I expect their character to be further decreased by the end of the series. Martin has said we'll learn more about Dayne, for instance.

If we just look at it from a "who would win" perspective sure, a lot of these guys would do well against the Others. Just from a leadership perspective you'd have Ned Stark, Rhaegar Targaryen, Robert Baratheon, Arthur Dayne, Barristan Selmy, Jon Arryn, Jon Connington, Lewyn Martell, Gerold Hightower. Not to mention that this would be the fight Rhaegar was born to fight (or at least, thought he was born to fight), and Arthur Dayne probably had Dawn.

Yea there would be wildcards like Tywin Lannister and Roose Bolton conspiring to main their power while expending others, but surely people like Rhaegar/Ned/Jon Arryn could hold them in line.

This is a wonderful post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom