• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
A little weird that Dinklage gets the award this year. The performance was good but he didn't do anything amazing that I can recall.

If it had to be a GoT actor, it should have been Jonathan Pryce.

*grumbles out the door*

I was hoping for Jonathan Pryce to take up the male nomination slot for guest like Rigg does, but with the rule change Pryce was in too many episodes to be eligible for a guest actor nomination.

As for Dinklage winning (and the shows major wins tonight in general), it's likely they are filling the Breaking Bad absence vacuum and were 2nd in line for a lot of these awards to that show.

4 years late, but the show finally got what it deserves.
I don't get the bitterness. The last season was weak compared to the previous seasons, but still far better than anything else on TV this year.

Moff

I still can't believe the bad pussy thing won best writing.

a single silly line is probably simply not that important. it was still a very good episode.

on a personal level, simply to give some counterweight to the completely overblown hate this season got by book readers, I am very glad that this wasn't only the most succesfful season when it comes to viewers, but now also the most critically acclaimed season. that the bad pussy got the emmy for writing (while several episodes were nominated) is really just the icing on the cake.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
a single silly line is probably simply not that important. it was still a very good episode.

It was reflective of the quality of the entire episode though, which was easily the weakest season finale yet.

on a personal level, simply to give some counterweight to the completely overblown hate this season got by book readers, I am very glad that this wasn't only the most succesfful season when it comes to viewers, but now also the most critically acclaimed season. that the bad pussy got the emmy for writing (while several episodes were nominated) is really just the icing on the cake.

Countering overblown hate with overblown love - I like it!

You can't be critical of anything on the internet without being labeled a hater.

I loved the first four seasons of this show. Season five was well below the standard and that it's the season to actually win these awards as opposed to any of the others is farcical.

4 years late, but the show finally got what it deserves.
I don't get the bitterness. The last season was weak compared to the previous seasons, but still far better than anything else on TV this year.

How many TV shows do you watch?

I presume not many.

Kain

wait a sec, I've been out of the game this weekend, you're telling me the bad pussy episode got the Emmy award for best script and Dinklage won best (supporting) actor?

I knew the Emmys were a joke but damn. I mean, Hannibal for example hasn't had an award when the acting and art direction has been consistently miles ahead of the competition but still...

I'm still bitter that Charles Dance left the series without recognition (I know it's the actors that have to submit the nominations) while Dinklage get all the praise. Specially this season when he didn't even had that much work.

NeoGiff

I award thee, NeoGriff, the Best Written Post in A Drama Series Thread Gaffy Award. Also, Best Member of NeoGAF and Best Set Design.

1LK3Zgk.gif

I can't wait to rewatch Mother's Mercy while keeping in mind that all of the plotlines, scripting, and each individual word that comes out of the characters' mouths was recognised as a staple of art by the television "elite".

Szeth

I remember a time when it seemed impossible for our little, unlikely hit fantasy show to ever win the big one, and how excited people would be if it did because they actually wanted to see it succeed.

And now we have this.

Feels bad man.

munchie64

I remember a time when it seemed impossible for our little, unlikely hit fantasy show to ever win the big one, and how excited people would be if it did because they actually wanted to see it succeed.

And now we have this.

Feels bad man.
In a way I'm happy for the show to be recognised. If nothing else I find they deserve it for the effort they all put in. And in the end it's just the Emmys...

And now we have this.

Feels bad man.

Why? People get salty about everything in the internet. Just ignore them.

Moff

In a way I'm happy for the show to be recognised. If nothing else I find they deserve it for the effort they all put in. And in the end it's just the Emmys...

if it's "just" the emmys I honestly wonder why people here are so salty over this

NeoGiff

Wait.

Many of us in this thread have been panning the show's dumb decisions etc. for months, both during season 5 and since.

Now, despite the show winning some awards, we're actually being consistent with our arguments, and we're being called salty?

I fail to see the logic here.

Moff

Wait.

Many of us in this thread have been panning the show's dumb decisions etc. for months, both during season 5 and since.

Now, despite the show winning some awards, we're actually being consistent with our arguments, and we're being called salty?

I fail to see the logic here.

I don't think it's inconsistent, this thread looks exacly as I imagined it to be.
but I didn't know salty means inconsistent, could be an honest mistake, english is not my first language.

Szeth

I don't think it's inconsistent, this thread looks exacly as I imagined it to be.
but I didn't know salty means inconsistent, could be an honest mistake, english is not my first language.

Being salty has nothing to do with being consistent or inconsistent, so you used it fine.

NeoGiff

Your usage was fine. My point was just a bit unclear.

Essentially, why are we now suddenly being called out? Is it because some people view the Emmys as a truth and therefore view our criticisms of the show as wrong?

Moff

Your usage was fine. My point was just a bit unclear.

Essentially, why are we now suddenly being called out? Is it because some people view the Emmys as a truth and therefore view our criticisms of the show as wrong?

the reactions are salty regardless of how important the emmys supposedly are. my comment actually dealt with exactly that issue.

Iksenpets

Banned
I would have been delighted to see the show win in any of the first four seasons. I'm always glad to see the cast win in the supporting actor categories, because they're all great, even if it is sometimes frustrating to see Dinklage steal the limelight from everyone else. I think all the technical and creative Emmy's they won last week were well-deserved. I'm cool with Nutter's directing win, because he really did do a great job with the Walk sequence, though Hardhome was the more deserving episode. There were several other episodes I would have been ok with taking the writing award.

So yeah, I don't hate the show or anything, but this was not the season for it to be declared best show, and that was not the episode to give best writing to. I am happy to see the show recognized after all these years, but I wish it could have been season 3 or 4 instead, even if I know that Breaking Bad meant that'd never happen.

Did Hardhome at least won the special effects category?
afaik, this is the full list from this year:
OUTSTANDING DRAMA SERIES
Game of Thrones

OUTSTANDING WRITING FOR A DRAMA SERIES
David Benioff and Dan Weiss, Game of Thrones—”Mother’s Mercy”

OUTSTANDING DIRECTING FOR A DRAMA SERIES
David Nutter, Game of Thrones—“Mother’s Mercy”

OUTSTANDING SUPPORTING ACTOR IN A DRAMA SERIES
Peter Dinklage, Game of Thrones

OUTSTANDING MAKEUP FOR A SINGLE-CAMERA SERIES (NON-PROSTHETIC)
Game Of Thrones: Mother’s Mercy

OUTSTANDING PRODUCTION DESIGN FOR A NARRATIVE CONTEMPORARY OR FANTASY PROGRAM (ONE HOUR OR MORE)
Game Of Thrones: High Sparrow/Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken/Hardhome

OUTSTANDING SINGLE-CAMERA PICTURE EDITING FOR A DRAMA SERIES
Game Of Thrones: The Dance Of Dragons

OUTSTANDING SOUND EDITING FOR A SERIES
Game of Thrones: Hardhome

OUTSTANDING SOUND MIXING FOR A COMEDY OR DRAMA SERIES (ONE HOUR)
Game of Thrones: Hardhome

OUTSTANDING CASTING FOR A DRAMA SERIES
Game Of Thrones

OUTSTANDING SPECIAL VISUAL EFFECTS
Game Of Thrones: The Dance Of Dragons

OUTSTANDING STUNT COORDINATION FOR A DRAMA SERIES, LIMITED SERIES OR MOVIE
Game of Thrones

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
I honestly don't know what to say...as a huge fan of the show and books who knew that it was probably their weakest season...I just don't know. It feels as if some part of me died. I do wonder though if they will keep the rule change now. Honestly I doubt all 20,000 emmy voters watched every show where someone was nominated. If that's the case, it explains why GoT won so much.

Just think of it as an lifetime achievement award. Kind of like how Return of the King won best picture at the Oscars.

The awards were really given to the series for its entire run, not season 5, or any particular episode in season 5, it just wasn't until season 5 they could hand them out.

I honestly don't know what to say...as a huge fan of the show and books who knew that it was probably their weakest season...I just don't know. It feels as if some part of me died. I do wonder though if they will keep the rule change now. Honestly I doubt all 20,000 emmy voters watched every show where someone was nominated. If that's the case, it explains why GoT won so much.

That hyperbole.

Lothar

Banned
Those two scenes are awards worthy? One with a jarringly obvious body double and one with the least interesting mass stabbing ever.

And you do have to mention it was in better in the books since they just took something that was already written and made it worse. It was so much less powerful that they didn't have the Ramsay letter and they didn't have Jon thinking he was running to save his sister. The fact that he finally broke his vows and that's what it took. The night's watch could actually be justified in killing him. That scene certainly does not deserve any praise for its writing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom