• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kain

Robb was 16 when he died and I think Jon just got to 16 himself.

Sansa is 13.

I understand why George didn't finally write the timeskip, but yeah, there is something wrong with these characters being so awfully young.

Robb was 16 when he died and I think Jon just got to 16 himself.

Sansa is 13.

I understand why George didn't finally write the timeskip, but yeah, there is something wrong with these characters being so awfully young.
Since ASoFaI is kinda like the medieval ages, the chars ages are pretty "realistic". Back then, people did not get older than 35-40 years ... so they didn't really wait for you to turn 18 to get a sword in the hand/get married. ^^

Think of it, Sean Bean might have been dead even earlier. ^^

But of course, for the show, this range of ages was not realistically to pull off. I'm glad they adjusted them.

Pluto

Since ASoFaI is kinda like the medieval ages, the chars ages are pretty "realistic". Back then, people did not get older than 35-40 years ... .
Of course they got older than that, the average life expectancy was much lower but that was primarily due to infant mortality, once you made it past childhood the worst was over.

Just because the life expectancy of someone at birth is 40 doesn't mean a 40 year old is considered old and close to death in that society.

Kain

Just as George stated that genetics work differently in Westeros maybe aging does too, and being 15 you are a full-fledged adult (only physically). Don't know if he has said something about the matter.

mantidor

People did get married awfully young though. Romeo and Juliet were like 14 years old. Yeah they are fictional, but they reflected how it was at the time :p

I hadn't considered he might want to find Gendry. Figured Gendry would turn up again with some kind of outlaw group(doubt he'd want to rejoin the Brotherhood).

As for Davos, I've been wondering what his motivations might be by the end of the story. It's very possible Stannis will die at some point in the books and he may never see him again. He'll still have a promise to keep to bring Rickon back to the North and who knows where things go after that. Either way, they're keeping him around for a reason.

Davos would be great as someone else's Hand, or as a member of the Small Council. Or just a trusted adviser. Something like that.

mantidor

from reddit:

RLEgAHF.jpg

George has said in hindsight he wished he started the series with everyone a bit older, which I assume is probably aged up to what the TV series did.

The book ages are a bit too low, especially with medieval people who hit puberty later. Jon is probably the hardest to believe, as someone that young wouldn't likely be able to keep up with hardened adults in a fight. Loras falls into that category too. At least with Robb you never really see him fight, he mostly acts as a commander.

Faddy

Banned
Since ASoFaI is kinda like the medieval ages, the chars ages are pretty "realistic". Back then, people did not get older than 35-40 years ... so they didn't really wait for you to turn 18 to get a sword in the hand/get married. ^^

Think of it, Sean Bean might have been dead even earlier. ^^

But of course, for the show, this range of ages was not realistically to pull off. I'm glad they adjusted them.

That is a load of nonsense. Average life expectancy was so low because many children died due to disease but once someone reached adulthood they had a decent chance of living to their late fifties. Human physiology hasn't changed either, the ability of a 15 year old to wear battle armour and swing a sword is still rather low. The ages of the Stark children is one of the stupidest parts of the books.

That is a load of nonsense. Average life expectancy was so low because many children died due to disease but once someone reached adulthood they had a decent chance of living to their late fifties. Human physiology hasn't changed either, the ability of a 15 year old to wear battle armour and swing a sword is still rather low. The ages of the Stark children is one of the stupidest parts of the books.
Yeah, the lack of hygiene and medicine, famine, war etc. made sure those people back than led a healthy and lengthy life.
Dude, I live in a city with archived records and roots dating back to when the Romans were living here due to conquering.
People barely lived beyond those ages, that had various reasons.

Oh btw.: It is a fact that humans nowadays get older and older.

And full plate armor was never really suitable for fighting. Leather and chain armor was more common, and a 15 year old who was used to work since early childhood should be able to lift a sword...

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Yeah, the lack of hygiene and medicine, famine, war etc. made sure those people back than led a healthy and lengthy life.
Dude, I live in a city with archived records and roots dating back to when the Romans were living here due to conquering.

Not really. People have been living to their 50s and 70s for thousands of years. It was just much more likely to die before then either in childhood due to disease or young adulthood due to war, but human lifespan potential has not changed and has had no reason to.

Not really. People have been living to their 50s and 70s for thousands of years. It was just much more likely to die before then either in childhood due to disease or young adulthood due to war, but human lifespan potential has not changed and has had no reason to.

Well that's not true either. Humans do live longer today thanks to modern medicine (especially antibiotics) even when you factor in infant mortality. You need only look at the demographics of modern societies to see how much longer we live compared to pre-industrial societies. Life expectancy has doubled in the past 150 years.

I mean
Between 1944 and 1972 human life expectancy jumped by eight years - an increase largely credited to the introduction of antibiotics.

Montresor

I'm wondering if I should change my Xbox gamertag into something Game of Thrones related... I wouldn't mind to spend the $10 to do so, but I just can't find something worthwhile.

I would've spent the money to change my gamertag without any hesitation if I could choose RhaegarOnTheTrident, but I can't use more than 15 characters.

I'm wondering if I should change my Xbox gamertag into something Game of Thrones related... I wouldn't mind to spend the $10 to do so, but I just can't find something worthwhile.

I would've spent the money to change my gamertag without any hesitation if I could choose RhaegarOnTheTrident, but I can't use more than 15 characters.

un33dab@dpu$$y

Good lord at these spoilers posted on Reddit just now, concerning Jaime, Tommen and Marg and some detail on a season 6 scene they filmed yesterday. Surprised they were able to glean this much info.

"It begins with the High Sparrow going down the Sept’s stairs while the people applaud him. He explains that Queen Margaery has joined them in accepting the power of the Faith. Just then, Jaime Lannister bursts into the scene, on horseback and leading an army of a hundred and forty Tyrell soldiers, and demands that the High Sparrow free Queen Margaery. Suddenly, the gates of the Great Sept open —it is Tommen Baratheon, followed by Queen Margaery and the Kingsguards, who are bearing the Faith Militant’s sigil instead of the Royal sigil. The king and queen have accepted the High Sparrow’s reformed faith, and they are acclaimed by the people. It is emphasized that this is only the first part of the scene; the rest will be filmed today, and it is expected to be a trascendental scene in which the two factions come to blows."

Link to reddit post: Reddit ASOIAF link

FYI, their source is an IMDB link that seems to be busted, translating from what I believe is a Spanish news source.

Good lord at these spoilers posted on Reddit just now, concerning Jaime, Tommen and Marg and some detail on a season 6 scene they filmed yesterday. Surprised they were able to glean this much info.

"It begins with the High Sparrow going down the Sept’s stairs while the people applaud him. He explains that Queen Margaery has joined them in accepting the power of the Faith. Just then, Jaime Lannister bursts into the scene, on horseback and leading an army of a hundred and forty Tyrell soldiers, and demands that the High Sparrow free Queen Margaery. Suddenly, the gates of the Great Sept open —it is Tommen Baratheon, followed by Queen Margaery and the Kingsguards, who are bearing the Faith Militant’s sigil instead of the Royal sigil. The king and queen have accepted the High Sparrow’s reformed faith, and they are acclaimed by the people. It is emphasized that this is only the first part of the scene; the rest will be filmed today, and it is expected to be a trascendental scene in which the two factions come to blows."

FYI, their source is an IMDB link that seems to be busted, translating from what I believe is a Spanish news source.

I hope
after losing his daguther Jaime just goes full on crazy and says "YOU ARE MY SON, ENOUGH WITH THIS SHIT"

belushy

Banned

Sounds awesome.

NeoGiff

As exciting as some of the filming news is, I'm forcing myself to remain sceptical until I see it on screen with my own eyes. I won't be fooled again after the Stannis, Brienne, and Bad Pussy debacles last season.

I doubt we see anymore. Maybe if Trystan is still on the council. Though I'm betting he got off the ship once he found out his gf was murdered.

They really butchered that storyline.

WoTW: Some spoilery production pics from these scenes.

And full plate armor was never really suitable for fighting. Leather and chain armor was more common, and a 15 year old who was used to work since early childhood should be able to lift a sword...

1. People have lived to 70 years old for thousands of years. Yes of course many more died of diseases we can cure today, but large numbers reached old age. The life expectancy numbers were weighed down by infant and child mortality. This is true up until the early 20th century when running water and electricity started to permeate western society. But we know that even though life expectancy was really low even in the late 19th century, that many many people lived into old age. It's simply a recorded fact.

2. Swords are really light, usually weighing no more than 2.5-3.5 pounds. We like to imagine them as heavy, but in reality swords were (and are) light enough to be wielded by a single hand. Even great swords were under 5 pounds. It's just a modern myth that they were heavy.

Well that's not true either. Humans do live longer today thanks to modern medicine (especially antibiotics) even when you factor in infant mortality. You need only look at the demographics of modern societies to see how much longer we live compared to pre-industrial societies. Life expectancy has doubled in the past 150 years.

I mean

It's doubled because half of children don't die any more. If you take out the death of infants and children, then the life expectancy of 2,000 years ago would probably be in the mid-50s to early-60s. People obviously died of many preventable things that we can treat today, but many of them lived to old age. It's well recorded.

It's doubled because half of children don't die any more. If you take out the death of infants and children, then the life expectancy of 2,000 years ago would probably be in the mid-50s to early-60s. People obviously died of many preventable things that we can treat today, but many of them lived to old age. It's well recorded.
I know, I wasn't arguing otherwise. The person I was quoting had an opinion on the other extreme where he thought people don't live longer today, which is wrong. Life expectancy is significantly higher even when factoring in only adults. Obviously some people in pre-industrial times lived until their 70s, but a higher percentage of people do it now.

bengraven

Can't wait to see that evil looking fucker as that evil fucker Randyll.

Also for those spoilers from above:
Tommen's gonna eat it isn't he?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom