• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
p5A4AdK.png

I AM OBARA SAND DAUGHTER OF OBERYN MARTELL

TrutaS

I think the show deserves all the emmys, not for this season, but because it's has had an amazing impact on the tv show world so far.

BUT I think the George RR Martin mentions were too discrete and subdued, he deserves a lot lot more recognition for the whole thing. No just a "oh happy birthday and congratulations to you too".

Apt101

dinklage is phoning in everything lately, in interviews he always seems so tired and unmotivated. I don't know.

best support was alfie allen in my opinion, but of course he is not present enough to get attention for an award like that. I would have been fine with pryce or riggs for their guest apperances/Support, whatever they were nominated for.

Dinklage strikes me as an actor who never aspired to this level of success and the scrutiny and fame that comes with it. I have a second hand story, friend of a friend and all, who met him when he visited the US to go on some talkshow. She said he's really laid back and seems to hate people trying to speak with him, which I think is understandable, but she also said he said something like "yes I'm that guy, go ahead and take your picture already". So not a fan of fans.

Dinklage strikes me as an actor who never aspired to this level of success and the scrutiny and fame that comes with it. I have a second hand story, friend of a friend and all, who met him when he visited the US to go on some talkshow. She said he's really laid back and seems to hate people trying to speak with him, which I think is understandable, but she also said he said something like "yes I'm that guy, go ahead and take your picture already". So not a fan of fans.

I met him briefly in 2010, he was on my flight home from SDCC. I gingerly asked for a photo while we waited for our gate to open up (we were all sitting), and he was definitely nice and obliged (I was grateful after what he presumably went through at his first SDCC), but I could tell he was just exhausted by all the attention.

Everything I've heard him talk about regarding his career, and his ambition for it, seemed to be around wanting to be a solid, talented, steadily working actor, not the world wide star he's become through GoT.

SamVimes

I think the show deserves all the emmys, not for this season, but because it's has had an amazing impact on the tv show world so far.

BUT I think the George RR Martin mentions were too discrete and subdued, he deserves a lot lot more recognition for the whole thing. No just a "oh happy birthday and congratulations to you too".

What impact did it have?

TrutaS

What impact did it have?

As book reader I assume you are, I don't think you get the impact scenes like the red wedding, Eddard's execution, Oberyn's death and other incredibly shocking but powerful scenes (from the book) have had on tv viewers. It has helped change what people expect from tv nowadays, I see that on non-book readers around me all the time.

SamVimes

As book reader I assume you are, I don't think you get the impact scenes like the red wedding, Eddard's execution, Oberyn's death and other incredibly shocking but powerful scenes (from the book) have had on tv viewers. It has helped change what people expect from tv nowadays, I see that on non-book readers around me all the time.

I'm not underestimating the emotional impact, i just don't think any tv shows has followed in its steps in a way you could say it had a significant impact on the tv show world.

mantidor

Maybe is too early to know the legacy the show will have, but we can say it's probably the first show of it's kind to be even green lighted.

I feel the most revolutionary thing is the very varied female cast, but that is more a direct consequence of the books having such a varied female cast, which in itself is a rare thing, specially for a genre like fantasy.

-griffy-

Banned
I'm not underestimating the emotional impact, i just don't think any tv shows has followed in its steps in a way you could say it had a significant impact on the tv show world.

Going past the cultural impact, shows like Vikings, The Bastard's Executioner and The Last Kingdom surely wouldn't exist were it not for the popularity and success of Game of Thrones. It being one of HBO's most popular shows ever, paired with critical acclaim and awards attention, has legitimized serious fantasy (and medieval political drama) in television in much the same way LOTR did for films. Sci-fi/fantasy has long been relegated to the tech categories, or just outright ignored. It proves the genre doesn't just have to be a prestige project that doesn't make money or a hokey thing like Xena/Hercules. It's also ushered in new expectations for what is capable as far as spectacle on TV, looking at scope, location shooting, size of cast, sets, visual effects, etc. It's set new bars for TV in almost every technical category you can imagine.

They bleeped what Dan said on the broadcast last night, so I assumed he'd said more than "shit" based on the reactions.

American broadcast networks gonna do their thing I guess...

RaidenZR

I actually met him outside on the street in NYC in 2004. I knew exactly who he was because I had seen and really enjoyed The Station Agent. He was standing around just waiting for someone (I'm guessing) and all I did was say hello, introduced myself and told him I really enjoyed that movie. He was really surprised and just politely and warmly said "Well, thank you very much. Glad you enjoyed it" and then I was on my way.

I didn't get the 'not a fan of fans' thing from him. But ya know, he probably has mobs of retards yelling "Dinklebot!!!" at him now.

My worry is that, since they got so many awards for their poor effort, they're taking that as a sign that they're doing things right, so we'll get twice a much garbage next year.

axb2013

Developed a new fetish during a youtube GOT theories binge, watching people almost claw the way through R+L=J and other GOT theories is so entertaining.
This one didn't start reading the books until later and he misses in the end, still impressive, begins~ 29 minutes in: https://youtu.be/pH6fVsYkO8s?t=1745

Only the guy to his left has read the books and graduated from RLJ, he does his best not give it away.

mantidor

They bleeped what Dan said on the broadcast last night, so I assumed he'd said more than "shit" based on the reactions.

American broadcast networks gonna do their thing I guess...

From the writers of "bad pussy" I would expect nothing less than cursing on the acceptance speech.

My worry is that, since they got so many awards for their poor effort, they're taking that as a sign that they're doing things right, so we'll get twice a much garbage next year.

I actually think the opposite... they got all these awards because the EMMY committee felt this season was so bad and may not get any better, they might as well award the show for the good seasons prior that lost out to shows like Breaking Bad and Mad Men in their prime.

I actually think the opposite... they got all these awards because the EMMY committee felt this season was so bad and may not get any better, they might as well award the show for the good seasons prior that lost out to shows like Breaking Bad and Mad Men in their prime.

I wish/hope that was the case. It seems like they would've given more love to Mad Men though, as this year was their last chance to do that. They could give GoT the retroactive awards next year since it'll still be around.

And I didn't even think about this new season being already wrapped up on the writing side. AAAaaagggg

Apt101

I actually met him outside on the street in NYC in 2004. I knew exactly who he was because I had seen and really enjoyed The Station Agent. He was standing around just waiting for someone (I'm guessing) and all I did was say hello, introduced myself and told him I really enjoyed that movie. He was really surprised and just politely and warmly said "Well, thank you very much. Glad you enjoyed it" and then I was on my way.

I didn't get the 'not a fan of fans' thing from him. But ya know, he probably has mobs of retards yelling "Dinklebot!!!" at him now.

Well he's a human, may have been having a bad day when she approached him. Glad to hear others have had good interactions. He seems like a swell guy.

Ratrat

No, it didn't deserve accolades for it's embarrassing writing last season, but I'm glad the show continues to be successful. Both for Grrm and for an even larger budget next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom