• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure about the technicalities but couldn't Bran, Rickon or even Sansa legitimize Jon?

Depends. The North would have to have (or within Northern citizens considered to have) seceded from the realm. If that's the case, whomever the recognized king or queen in the North could, yes.

Apt101

I've never thirsted for a book like I am for TWoW. I want it so bad I can taste it.

As for the show, I've found myself growing lukewarm to it. I'll probably start feeling the hype as it approaches, but after the entire Dorne storyline was sidetracked the way it was, and how they focused so much on the drama of King's Landing again (like every season, not sure why I'm surprised, I should have been expecting it) I am not looking forward to much. The books have the drama with the maesters and a faceless man in the Iron Isles, a much more complex and nuanced North, etc.

Depends. The North would have to have (or within Northern citizens considered to have) seceded from the realm. If that's the case, whomever the recognized king or queen in the North could, yes.
Anyone who supports the Stark claim is pretty much inherently supporting seceding considering Robb already did just that.

I like grey characters; fantasy for too long has been focused on very stereotypical heroes and villains.

-George R. R. Martin

Coming up in Season 6:
Jon Snow comes back to life after the nasty Night's Watch kill him through no fault of his own and leads the goodies to fight the baddies... because of course he does.

Seriously, I can't believe the story is actually going down this route. I hope GRRM sticks to his principles and this is just something invented/adapted for the show.

Apt101

Coming up in Season 6:
Jon Snow comes back to life after the nasty Night's Watch kill him through no fault of his own and leads the goodies to fight the baddies... because of course he does.

Seriously, I can't believe the story is actually going down this route. I hope GRRM sticks to his principles and this is just something invented/adapted for the show.

I have a feeling the Jon Snow that returns is going to be a lot more like Stannis or even Roose Bolton than he will be like his old self or Ned Stark. At least in the books. The show? Probably a lot softer to appease the TV audience.

mantidor

Coming up in Season 6:

This is more show than books though, in the books the Night's watch did have a pretty good reason to stop Jon.

I feel the show unfortunately has simplified the little nuances that make the houses and characters be in that grey area Martin is talking about, and we ended up with much simpler "good" and "bad" guys in the show. It's not just the Night's watch or Jon.

Jon has always been the traditional Joseph Campbell hero archetype. It's deliberate.
Which is why I doubt his end game will be some fantasy trope - or marrying Dany, saving the realm, etc. Why kill The Hero only to bring him back as The Hero again. Something is going to change. Whether that happens in the show...who knows.

I always liked the idea that Jon will become some type of mediator between man and the Others.

Coming up in Season 6:

No fault of his own? The guy abandoned his oaths and tried to lead his men away from the Wall because he wanted to save his sister. Jon acts really fucking stupid at the end of ADWD.

No fault of his own? The guy abandoned his oaths and tried to lead his men away from the Wall because he wanted to save his sister. Jon acts really fucking stupid at the end of ADWD.
That was the reason in the book sure. In the show they kill him for no reason other than, "Bu- bu- but WILDLINGS!" even though it was Aliser Thorne who let them through.

Apt101

He's a Stark. He acted like how any of them would have. Well, not Sansa, but certainly his father, his uncle and grandfather, his mean-ass step mother. It's been enforced repeatedly that the North doesn't play and they are quick to go to war when there are clear injustices being done (or at least what they perceive to be injustices), and the Starks have typically been the driving force behind those moves. I found it to be totally in character. He has always had a rebellious streak going back to his very first POV's in GoT. My opinion anyways.

That said, in the show the Night's Watch's motivations to ice him were tenuous at best and out of character for some of the assailants. It makes more sense in the books.

That was the reason in the book sure. In the show they kill him for no reason other than, "Bu- bu- but WILDLINGS!" even though it was Aliser Thorne who let them through.

You're right, I forgot how the show made him completely innocent in it. Sometimes I forget to switch modes when discussing.

Rixxan

At the risk of sounding melodramatic, this is all such a tremendous failing by GRRM.

The camera phone set photos acting as revealed plot points for a saga twenty plus years in the making.

Well done George, a true modern masterpiece of fantasy literature bombed out and exploited before you even had a chance to finish it.

I was such a huge proponent for this show, truth is I still am - but what a let down to see him overtaken in such a fashion. To see plot threads in the making for decades revealed by a low res distance shot from someones iphone - lol.

I was referring to the show for that part, I should have made that clear. It was a hasty edit. The show rushed through that entire arc and in the end his Brothers stabbed him because they were bad guys, not because it was the straw that broke the camel's back after months of poor leadership and communication that dragged Jon's loyalties into question.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
At the risk of sounding melodramatic, this is all such a tremendous failing by GRRM.

The camera phone set photos acting as revealed plot points for a saga twenty plus years in the making.

Well done George, a true modern masterpiece of fantasy literature bombed out and exploited before you even had a chance to finish it.

I was such a huge proponent for this show, truth is I still am - but what a let down to see him overtaken in such a fashion. To see plot threads in the making for decades revealed by a low res distance shot from someones iphone - lol.

This is the great thing about not being hyper-sensitive about spoilers. I can enjoy the ASOIAF series just the same regardless of what happens in the TV show. Nothing is ruined. I had a great time reading the first three novels last year even though I knew about all the major plot points and I'm confident I'll feel the same way reading the next two if they ever come out.

Everything that I've read so far about this season just makes me hate last season so much more. Since all the stuff with Stannis and all the other invented/abridged plotlines to rush to the end of the series in seven seasons is now seemingly being walked back since they're probably going to eight seasons.

Despite everything I think D&D have done a commendable job adapting the material, but this past season and now going forward they're seemingly scared to go too far forward since they're all of a sudden doing big flashback scenes and bringing back content they seemingly cut last season on purpose like Riverrun or the Greyjoys.

Just as much as I want GRRM to kind of stick to his guns and write the story he wants to write, I'd like to see the show do its own version of events if thats what they want to do. Instead it seems like now that they're getting pushed to eight seasons, they're probably going back to include a bunch of stuff they skipped over previously because they've got cold feet having to come up with the new stuff all on their own without some guiding manuscript in the form of the books.

Everything that I've read so far about this season just makes me hate last season so much more. Since all the stuff with Stannis and all the other invented/abridged plotlines to rush to the end of the series in seven seasons is now seemingly being walked back since they're probably going to eight seasons.

That just leaves more screentime for the greatest character in the series, Victarion Greyjoy.

They could even give him a season all to himself.

Plasmid

Coming up in Season 6:

Jon has to stop the "baddies" (Boltons) to stop the others. There is no way Roose Bolton would just go North of the wall even if it meant the Others coming and taking over everything. He has to be disposed of so the bigger entity can be taken care of. Once the boltons are gone Jon can move on with the rest of the North to start protecting the wall, which will more than likely fail as the Wall will probably crumble this season.

I'm almost certain that Jon is going to leave the watch but STILL come back due to his oaths, just like Ned did by going to KL for Robert. A lot of people want Jon to be resurrected and kill Olly but Jon is better and smarter than that.

At this point in the show Jon is taking on Stannis' book role.

SteveWD40

TOJ:
is that Reed with the shield? can they show young Reed without us seeing him as an older chap now from a casting point of view?

Ikael

The more I read about the Winds of Winter, the more I think that it will make the last seasons of Game of Thrones more and more shitty. Adaptation failure at its finest.

Yeah, GRRM has only himself to blame, I can't believe he actually thought they were going to stretch out those two books to like three seasons, I do think they might've condensed a too much in spots and pretty much ruining Dorne is shameful, even though I didn't care so much about it in the books they made it ten times worse. So much stuff in those books was just padding that I and plenty of others knew wasn't going to make it.

George has had four, going into five years to get TWoW out and there's no "Meereenese Knot" excuse, I can get wanting to take in the mainstream adulation the show has given him but coupled with his inefficient "gardener" writing style and unwillingness to write away from home has pretty much brought this on himself.

I seriously don't get the complains, it wasn't nearly as bad as people claim it to be.

I only half paid attention and I could tell it was off. It was pretty bad.

You could argue Ramsay made a direct threat to the NW, and thus Jon's plan was sound. Not saying I agree or disagree but the argument is there. If Jon did nothing the Watch would be destroyed.

Speaking of which I wonder what happens to Melisandre, the queen, and Shireen. The letter demanded they be given to Ramsay. Is the next phase of Marsh's plan to arrest them, or will the inevitable chaos result in everything backfiring.

Iksenpets

Banned
You could argue Ramsay made a direct threat to the NW, and thus Jon's plan was sound. Not saying I agree or disagree but the argument is there. If Jon did nothing the Watch would be destroyed.

Speaking of which I wonder what happens to Melisandre, the queen, and Shireen. The letter demanded they be given to Ramsay. Is the next phase of Marsh's plan to arrest them, or will the inevitable chaos result in everything backfiring.

I would guess Marsh is planning on arresting the trio to deliver to Winterfell, but I don't see how he ever gets to that point. He's going to have to deal with the Wildlings fighting back before he can deal with that, and I'm not sure he's going to win that fight. And even if he does, there's no way to win it quickly enough that Mel and Selyse don't get wind of what's going down and try to flee. And even if he does manage to fight off the Wildlings and fight through the Queen's men to arrest the women, Justin Massey will show up soon enough and maybe attempt a rescue.

If I had to guess, I would say that Mel and Selyse and the Queen's men will use the chaos to slip away and carry out the Shireen sacrifice to try and save Stannis. That either revives Jon or at least the fire shows Mel something that fully converts her to Team Jon, and she gets to work trying to find some other way to revive him. Mel flees with Jon, either alive or having stolen his corpse to revive later, and Selyse eventually ends up being taken into Justin Massey's custody once he realizes what happened with the sacrifice.

Also looks like Watchers got a second Tower of Joy video. http://watchersonthewall.com/a-second-video-of-the-game-of-thrones-tower-of-joy-filming-has-surfaced

Howland's pretty clearly in this one, sneaking up behind Dayne while he's focused on Ned. Obviously because Howland is only a good enough warg to warg people from behind at close range.

Jayof9s

This is the great thing about not being hyper-sensitive about spoilers. I can enjoy the ASOIAF series just the same regardless of what happens in the TV show. Nothing is ruined. I had a great time reading the first three novels last year even though I knew about all the major plot points and I'm confident I'll feel the same way reading the next two if they ever come out.

Yeah, knowing broad strokes of what may or may not happen (I'm not entirely convinced the way story lines are being wrapped up in the show will mesh with the books) isn't going to make me enjoy the rest of the books any less - if George ever finishes them - than if I hadn't watched the show first.

Personally, I'd rather watch the show first because I know the book will be better. That's true for pretty much any book/show based on a book.

RaidenZR

The guy taking that video seems pretty convinced it's Sean Bean. Not sure how you can tell at that distance, but I'm holding out hope since that dude was literally there. Even if it's not Bean, it could be a stuntman scene or something.
(crosses fingers)

Hopefully that guy can get a closer look soon, or maybe a better camera.

Moff

I would be very surprised if Sean Bean did this.
first of all, he said himself he is not in season 6.

and even if he was, it would be much smarter to use a body double for the actual shooting and then just dub his dialogue with sean beans voice and use a cgi face. I'd love it if they did that, but I expect them to just use a different actor.

who knows, maybe in the show it's not even Ned at the tower of joy.
Maybe it's Bran who actually traveled back in time

Turin

Banned
If Sean really isn't in this one then I just hope the casting of young-Ned is as on point as the young-casting was for S5 of Boardwalk Empire.

RaidenZR

Spoiler tagging just in case:

I just watched this YouTube video of Sean Bean denying(?) being in Season 6. Hard to tell if he's just surprised by the question, or going into a "get me out of here" evasive mode. He's probably just not in the flashbacks but it would still delight me to no end if just showed up in a Bran vision somehow.

Iksenpets

Banned
Robert Aramayo joins the cast of Game of Thrones

Maybe Howland Reed? Luke Roberts seems to be Arthur Dayne so that means Eddie Eyre might be young Ned.

That all seems like it adds up pretty neatly. This guy really looks like he could be Jojen's dad 20 years in the past, and looks like he has the right build to play small and tricky. I hadn't thought of Eyre as young Ned, but I think I could see it with a wig and beard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom