• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope if the next book does make it out before season six's premiere that it's at least a month before because there's no way I'll be able to get through it in a week or two.

Anyone ever watch Preston Jacobs' videos? I just finished one where he explains his theory that Westeros is actually a post-apocalyptic wasteland and the Long Night was actually nuclear winter caused by the Doom of Valyria (a nuclear explosion). The "magic" we're now seeing (green dreams, etc.) are mutations caused by radiation, and humanity survived the fallout hiding in places like the crypts of Winterfell.

If you'll excuse me, I'll just be over here picking my brains up off the floor.

The shit you can come up with while on LSD and Adderall...

Anyone ever watch Preston Jacobs' videos? I just finished one where he explains his theory that Westeros is actually a post-apocalyptic wasteland and the Long Night was actually nuclear winter caused by the Doom of Valyria (a nuclear explosion). The "magic" we're now seeing (green dreams, etc.) are mutations caused by radiation, and humanity survived the fallout hiding in places like the crypts of Winterfell.

I don't think there are any fan theories as extra as this one.

I guess Daario = Euron might come close.

But the Doom and the Long Night were in completely different eras.

The lengths some people have gone to try to make Tyrion a Targaryen are quite something.

Waiting for confirmation that Hodor is a secret Targ.

But the Doom and the Long Night were in completely different eras.

And there's that hypothesis shot down with a mere sentence. Poor Preston Jacobs.

The Long Night was around eight thousand years before the Targaryen conquest. The Doom was around four hundred years before or 7600 years after the Long Night. Pretty large hole in his theory that he just decided to ignore because it was inconvenient I guess. Whoops.

Iksenpets

Banned

I think IrishThrones has made a few false claims already, so I'll wait until someone grabs pics to say for sure, but it really does seem like they're doing full Riverrun siege, which is really weird since has it been going on for three years now in the show universe? Or did Blackfish somehow only recently manage to retake the castle? Also
I though lt some of the pics had Jaime in King's Landing as late as episode six, so either this stuff is very early and Jaime teleports back, or the Riverrun plot only goes down in the last few episodes.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
I think IrishThrones has made a few false claims already, so I'll wait until someone grabs pics to say for sure, but it really does seem like they're doing full Riverrun siege, which is really weird since has it been going on for three years now in the show universe? Or did Blackfish somehow only recently manage to retake the castle? Also
I though lt some of the pics had Jaime in King's Landing as late as episode six, so either this stuff is very early and Jaime teleports back, or the Riverrun plot only goes down in the last few episodes.
Riverrun is probably later, because it can be done in only a few episodes.

Lena Headey on set in Dubrovnik

Some pics of that area.

Looks like gallows to me.

Iksenpets

Banned

Ok, that definitely looks like the base of a trebuchet and the beginnings of a gallows platform. Should be a fun scene! I think they would have been justified in cutting it entirely, but I'm really happy to see it in, and to see them going all out building the set for it. I'm getting hyped imagining Blackfish yelling down at Jaime from that balcony they've built over the Riverrun gate.

Filming + Winds speculation:
It'll be interesting seeing how this all lines up for the season timeline, if this really isn't until episode 7 or 8. I figured they would be trying to build up to the presumed Frey wedding, and I guess they could still get that in by episode 10 if they play this plot quickly. Now that would be a fun season ender.

NeoGiff

IrishThrones are clickbait lovers with terrible English comprehension who jump on outlandish assumptions. Take literally nothing they say at face value.

bengraven

In regards to that person seen filming alongside our eunuch friend:

Since she looks like she was only there a day and was wearing some very Mereenese clothes, I'm guessing the scene with Shae will be like the Rick/Shane scene from Walking Dead season 3. Tyrion will be going out of his mind somehow and see her face on a Mereenese girl's body.

IrishThrones are clickbait lovers with terrible English comprehension who jump on outlandish assumptions. Take literally nothing they say at face value.

You want the good Guinness, but you need the bad Jameson.

Telltales' Game of Thrones series is only $10 on Steam. Worth trying out, or just boring fanfiction?
It's like season 5 in video game form. Game kills and torments as many character as it could to create "shocking moments", and everything else is boring.

Dany is extra insufferable in the game.

Edit: Get Tales from Borderlands instead, it's the best of the bunch.

axb2013

Telltales' Game of Thrones series is only $10 on Steam. Worth trying out, or just boring fanfiction?

$10 is fair. The game takes place in gaps between main GOT events, you play as a northerner aligned with the Starks and through other characters you visit main locations. I played through and while there are moments where it begins to sooth the offseason pain, it falls short of what a video game set in GOT could be. There is illusion of choice but the "funneling" of your character breaks it and is painfully obvious. If you pick it up, play with a game pad, QTE's are an exercise in frustration.

I wish CDPR had been tasked with making a GOT game, looking at Witcher 3 it's the only studio capable of delivering a game to match the show/books.

NeoGiff

It's like season 5 in video game form. Game kills and torments as many character as it could to create "shocking moments", and everything else is boring.

Edit: Get Tales from Borderlands instead, it's the best of the bunch.

Agree with all of this.

"If you presume to speak if my dragons, choose your words carefully." This line may look like it was written by a 5 year old, but it's in the game and spoken in the most deadpan way by Emilia. I still haven't played the latest episode which came out months ago.

Also, if you hate Ramsay's bullshit in the show, tape your PC/console down so you don't throw it out the window.

Tales is way better.

munchie64

It's pretty good, even if the characters are a little bland. Worth 10 bucks if you like the franchise.

Nah.

Agree with all of this.

"If you presume to speak if my dragons, choose your words carefully." This line may look like it was written by a 5 year old, but it's in the game and spoken in the most deadpan way by Emilia. I still haven't played the latest episode which came out months ago.

Also, if you hate Ramsay's bullshit in the show, tape your PC/console down so you don't throw it out the window.

Tales is way better.

Did Telltale's season finally finish BTW?
There's still an episode 6 coming.
Search your feelings, you know it to be true.

Tuffty

Telltale's game started great and has only gotten progressively worse. By the end of Episode 5 you're rocked with a betrayal that's only shocking in how obvious it was and how it makes no sense for this character to do it. And then an ending where the characters
knew about the trap and yet walked right into it anyway.
It's an ok series, just be prepared to see a lot of those apparent signs of it being a Telltale game.

Agree with all of this.

Tales is way better.

When ADWD was released, did everyone hate book Ramsay as much as show and game Ramsay? I thought he was a great character in the books, but that's probably because we had to imagine all his awful shit vs. having it explicitly laid out for us.

When ADWD was released, did everyone hate book Ramsay as much as show and game Ramsay? I thought he was a great character in the books, but that's probably because we had to imagine all his awful shit vs. having it explicitly laid out for us.
I just feel numb after all the crammed in senseless violence, frankly I don't give a crap about any of he characters anymore.

Real Hero

Book Ramsey is fat, ugly and lame whereas the show has tried to make him a cool bad ass despite his actions which I think just makes him a harder character to watch.

Iksenpets

Banned
They definitely made Ramsay sexy and talented and clever versus his portrayal as a mindless ball of rage in the books, but I don't think people would mind that much if it weren't consistently happening at the expense of other characters. Like, it's uncomfortable that the showrunners seem to like Ramsay as much as they do, but I think that would be more fodder for internet thinkpieces instead of fan anger were it not for the fact that establishing Ramsay as superman came at the cost of making Stannis and Asha look incompetent, and torturing Sansa for a season.

They definitely made Ramsay sexy and talented and clever versus his portrayal as a mindless ball of rage in the books, but I don't think people would mind that much if it weren't consistently happening at the expense of other characters. Like, it's uncomfortable that the showrunners seem to like Ramsay as much as they do, but I think that would be more fodder for internet thinkpieces instead of fan anger were it not for the fact that establishing Ramsay as superman came at the cost of making Stannis and Asha look incompetent, and torturing Sansa for a season.

Yep. As we've mentioned in this very thread at different points, both book and show folks loved to hate Joffrey. With Ramsay it's like, "ugh, again?! Get this fucking guy off my screen/kill him already." Never had that feeling with Joff.

Patriots7

Given that they are revisiting plots that we thought were gone for good, is it possible Aegon makes an appearance?
Common thought was that Trystane was inheriting Aegon's role, but that appears less likely.

Iksenpets

Banned
Given that they are revisiting plots that we thought were gone for good, is it possible Aegon makes an appearance?
Common thought was that Trystane was inheriting Aegon's role, but that appears less likely.

Nah, I don't think Aegon will ever appear. And I think it's still possible that Trystane replaces him, it's just going to be a season 7 thing since season 6 is apparently taking things so slowly. The Dornish are apparently getting the season-three Ironborn treatment this season, where they're only getting a scene or two to strong them along so people don't forget them before they become relevant again.

But Aegon was always going to be a hard plot to adapt even if they did it in its proper place in the timeline, and it's only getting less likely as we get later. Really I wouldn't be surprised if when we read Winds it turns out that a lot of the early deaths and other changes in the show were in service of cutting Aegon (like if it turns out that Barristan's endgame is defecting from Team Dany for Team Aegon, so they killed him off early because they've cut elements that are crucial to his arc, or maybe there's a Stannis vs. Aegon war to fill time until Dany arrives, and so without Aegon they just killed Stannis off early.) And Connington's relevance to the plot has already been removed by giving greyscale to Jorah.

Turin

Banned
Yep. As we've mentioned in this very thread at different points, both book and show folks loved to hate Joffrey. With Ramsay it's like, "ugh, again?! Get this fucking guy off my screen/kill him already." Never had that feeling with Joff.

I am kinda rooting for Bastardbowl to happen tbh.

In any case, fingers crossed that Ramsay dies in some hilariously gruesome manner this season.

Moff

I always said trystane will take his role, but since they added at least another season and as a result seem to expand a bit on other stuff we thought was lost, like the tower of joy flashback, the greyjoys, tyrions obsession (with shae instead of tysha), I'd say it's not impossible that aegon might appear as well, personally I would not bet on it, though. I would not want it either.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
Book Ramsey is fat, ugly and lame whereas the show has tried to make him a cool bad ass despite his actions which I think just makes him a harder character to watch.

Honestly I think it makes him very entertaining to watch. Watching him and Joffery be ridiculously evil for no reason was always so fun. Except for Sansa's rape. I am wondering if they will be able to have Euron be the dynamic villain he needs to be.

NeoGiff

Honestly I think it makes him very entertaining to watch. Watching him and Joffery be ridiculously evil for no reason was always so fun. Except for Sansa's rape. I am wondering if they will be able to have Euron be the dynamic villain he needs to be.

But at least Joffrey had a tiny bit of characterisation and always had Tyrion or Tywin around to lay on the smackdown. Ramsay is invincible, an amazing archer, an incredible swordsman, a tactical espionage expert, a great leader, and a sausage comedian, and he faces absolutely no repercussions for anything. In fact, he's rewarded for being a cunt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom