• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iksenpets

Banned
Can't wait to see Drogon scaring the shit out of some of the Khal's. I wonder how big he'll be this season. Dany not getting burned again is interesting. I wonder what the scene with 400 extras will be. Different Dothraki disagreeing and attacking each other maybe? I feel like she'll definitely have the Dothraki under her by the end of the season.

I feel like the Dothraki will be hers early enough that she can make it back to Meereen with Jorah and Daario, wreck her enemies there, and be ready to depart by season's end with the Dothraki, the remaining Unsullied+sellsword forces, and the Meereenese fleet.

That'll probably correspond roughly with the halfway point of her Winds plot, and the book will end with her actual landing in Westeros. I think doing the Dothraki plot in a high level of detail is helping them not get too far ahead of all the other plots that are doubling back to older material.

I feel like the Dothraki will be hers early enough that she can make it back to Meereen with Jorah and Daario, wreck her enemies there, and be ready to depart by season's end with the Dothraki, the remaining Unsullied+sellsword forces, and the Meereenese fleet.

That'll probably correspond roughly with the halfway point of her Winds plot, and the book will end with her actual landing in Westeros. I think doing the Dothraki plot in a high level of detail is helping them not get too far ahead of all the other plots that are doubling back to older material.

Or she'll stay in mereen for all of winds lol.

Koko

Banned

Victarion's fleet. :/

Partition

Banned
To me it seems it's all setup for us getting the battle of Mereen after all. Danys plot this season will be just about rallying the Dothraki to her side, and I assume the conclusion will be her arriving in Mereen with her Khalasar; ready to battle with Tyrion already planning the defense. Season 7 will probably start with the battle and hopefully have Dany in Westeros midway through the season.

axb2013

The gist of it was predictable, the details were not. What I predicted elsewhere:

09-20-2015, 06:24 PM

A few predictions for next season:

The Dothraki encounter will serve to set up Daenerys gaining control over Drogon. After the riders bring her back to their HQ, there will be imminent threat of death/rape/humiliation. Moments later, there is a BBQ in HQ after which the Dotraki reveal that they are all registered democrats and flock to her side.

Her nephew on the other hand... We've known for years that Melisandre envies Thoros of Myr and his CPR skills, she better get a chance of her own because employment with Stannis Baratheon as the last gig on her resume is really killing her Linkedin profile. The problem with staying at the Wall is that the Watch tends to make some truly idiotic moves every once in a while. I expect her to be the latest victim of their stupidity, it's lights out and terror full time for her by episode 4.

Arya spends the first 5 episodes coping with her (temporary) disability on the streets of Braavos. Theon finally kills Reek to save Sansa, Ramsay kills him, Ramsay is then killed by Brienne saving Sansa but then Littlefinger has Brienne killed before taking Sansa all night long. After Ramsay, LF is just a gentle lover. Sansa starts plotting and looking for bigger fingers and then on the verge of Littlefinger gaining serious power over the realm, she royally fucks Littlefinger over from her position as Warden of the North. Once her "half brother gone stranger" becomes an obstacle for Littlefinger, Sansa plays the Lysa Arrin card to claim the north herself.

The foreshadowing from S2E10 (roughly 15 minutes before the end of episode) starts to unfold but doesn't occur this season IMO.

Can't wait to see Drogon scaring the shit out of some of the Khal's. I wonder how big he'll be this season. Dany not getting burned again is interesting. I wonder what the scene with 400 extras will be. Different Dothraki disagreeing and attacking each other maybe? I feel like she'll definitely have the Dothraki under her by the end of the season.

For what I put in bold... Oh goddammit.

Bleepey

I was in a club in London and I saw Kit Harrington (Jon Snow ). Dude's very short. Anyhow, he spoke to people and was willing to sign autographs but asked not to have photos taken because HBO contractual reasons or some shit. His hair has pretty much grown back. My mate wanted to gently nudge him in the kidneys and say for the watch, but he didn't on account of him not being a complete tool.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
This is unmarked spoilers thread, why is everything spoiler marked >_>

The unmarked spoilers part of the thread pertains only to released book material. Leaked info from the upcoming season and speculation based off it still have to be spoiler tagged.

Iksenpets

Banned
It was pretty clear Blackfish was back once we got the Riverrun facade and siege camp, but good to have confirmation. Now just need confirmation of Edmure and some info one what they're doing with the Brotherhood and the Riverlands plot will be about perfect.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus

"Aw yiss"

7SprKFO.jpg

NeoGiff

So far despite the insane amount of set photos leaked, I've remained on blackout. Itching for the first trailer now so I can be somewhat satiated.

eot

Banned
Looking back on it now that some time has passed, I think season 5 was straight up bad with the exception of one episode. Probably the worst season so far. How are things on the TWoW front? Any chance we'll get it before S6?

Kain

So with the Blackfish in the picture it's clear they'll do Jaime's storyline in the Riverlands. I've always wanted to see the capture of Riverrun, his Frey uncle, Edmure... I still don't get Dorne's plot last season, though. What was the point if Jaime was going to end up in the Riverlands still? And what of the part where Jaime burns Cersei's letter? For me it was one of the best moments of the series and now it makes no sense, it shouldn't happen. Why.jpg

Looking back on it now that some time has passed, I think season 5 was straight up bad with the exception of one episode. Probably the worst season so far. How are things on the TWoW front? Any chance we'll get it before S6?

Insert all the awards joke here

munchie64

So with the Blackfish in the picture it's clear they'll do Jaime's storyline in the Riverlands. I've always wanted to see the capture of Riverrun, his Frey uncle, Edmure... I still don't get Dorne's plot last season, though. What was the point if Jaime was going to end up in the Riverlands still? And what of the part where Jaime burns Cersei's letter? For me it was one of the best moments of the series and now it makes no sense, it shouldn't happen. Why.jpg
The cynic in me makes me think that they've changed their minds quite a bit in between production of this season and the last.

Patriots7

I always said trystane will take his role, but since they added at least another season and as a result seem to expand a bit on other stuff we thought was lost, like the tower of joy flashback, the greyjoys, tyrions obsession (with shae instead of tysha), I'd say it's not impossible that aegon might appear as well, personally I would not bet on it, though. I would not want it either.
I just like the tension of there being another claimant to the Targ throne other than Dany. At this point in the show, if Tommen dies, Dany is arguably Queen of Westeros by default, as Robert's closest relation through the Baratheon side.

George_RR_Martin: Granny, thanks for asking that. It gives me a chance to clear up a common misconception. TARGARYENS ARE NOT IMMUNE TO FIRE! The birth of Dany's dragons was unique, magical, wonderous, a miracle. She is called The Unburnt because she walked into the flames and lived. But her brother sure as hell wasn't immune to that molten gold.
Damnit D&D.

Iksenpets

Banned

Insert all the awards joke here

If I had to guess, I would say their logic on Dorne was that it had to be in season 5 because it has to be an immediate follow-up to Oberyn's death. Without that, Oberyn's death feels cheap, like they just introduced him to kill him off, and that there are no consequences to his existence.

Then, once you've decided that and decided that Riverrun can't also fit into the season, you have to decide what to do with Jaime while he waits for Riverrun to happen in season 6. Your only real options are to have him stay around King's Landing and spend the season bickering with Cersei, or to invent the Myrcella rescue mission and have him be our introduction to the Dornish characters.

I think it was actually a pretty smart strategy, delaying Riverrun and sending Jaime to Dorne in the meanwhile, but they botched the execution so, so badly. Dorne was a joke, and Jaime had zero character development, but I can totally see how if they had written a better Dornish story it would have been an effective way to structure the story for ten-episode seasons. (It would have helped as well if there had been some throwaway dialogue in council meetings or something about the Freys having trouble with the Blackfish, so that that plot wouldn't seem so out of nowhere.)

As for the letter burning scene, it sucks that it's not going to be able to happen, but I think it will be pretty effectively replaced with Jaime and Cersei's fallout happening in person.
There's already some evidence of that happening, with Jaime actively aiding the Tyrells in leaked set footage.

Zabka

I just like the tension of there being another claimant to the Targ throne other than Dany. At this point in the show, if Tommen dies, Dany is arguably Queen of Westeros by default, as Robert's closest relation through the Baratheon side.

Damnit D&D.

That quote is from 1999

And he's not wrong anyway since Targaryens are not immune. Dany is special. She survives dragon fire again in ADWD. They're just moving that event to the new season.

Euron

If I had to guess, I would say their logic on Dorne was that it had to be in season 5 because it has to be an immediate follow-up to Oberyn's death. Without that, Oberyn's death feels cheap, like they just introduced him to kill him off, and that there are no consequences to his existence.

Then, once you've decided that and decided that Riverrun can't also fit into the season, you have to decide what to do with Jaime while he waits for Riverrun to happen in season 6. Your only real options are to have him stay around King's Landing and spend the season bickering with Cersei, or to invent the Myrcella rescue mission and have him be our introduction to the Dornish characters.

I think it was actually a pretty smart strategy, delaying Riverrun and sending Jaime to Dorne in the meanwhile, but they botched the execution so, so badly. Dorne was a joke, and Jaime had zero character development, but I can totally see how if they had written a better Dornish story it would have been an effective way to structure the story for ten-episode seasons. (It would have helped as well if there had been some throwaway dialogue in council meetings or something about the Freys having trouble with the Blackfish, so that that plot wouldn't seem so out of nowhere.)

As for the letter burning scene, it sucks that it's not going to be able to happen, but I think it will be pretty effectively replaced with Jaime and Cersei's fallout happening in person.
There's already some evidence of that happening, with Jaime actively aiding the Tyrells in leaked set footage.
Before Episode 10, I read an alleged spoiler that Illyrio appears in Dorne with Doran at the end of the season. Obviously that didn't happen but think of how great that would have been. I'm pretty pissed that they did absolutely nothing with Doran. They could have turned the botched vengeance plot from the books into something meaningful.

It would have at least made Jaime's terrible arc worthwhile.

That quote is from 1999

And he's not wrong anyway since Targaryens are not immune. Dany is special. She survives dragon fire again in ADWD. They're just moving that event to the new season.

She didn't get hit with dragon fire in ADWD and her skin blisters just from the heat of Drogon's breath.

Iksenpets

Banned
So we already know that Jamie will be in King's Landing and Riverrun this season but he might be at a third location by season's end.

This is Sue the Fury from WotW replying to somebody about Jamie not being in Riverrun by episode 10:

So he starts and Kings Landing then Riverrun, where would he be after that?

It looks like the post she was replying to specifically references episode 10, which could just mean that by episode 10 he's being held captive by the Brotherhood in the countryside instead of being at Riverrun.

She acknowledges that she doesn't really know what happened in Daznak's Pit, and no other character ever seems to believe that Drogon seriously burned her in the pit as far as I can recall. I still think the pyre at the end of GoT was a one-time act of magic brought about by the sacrifice of Mirri.

Before Episode 10, I read an alleged spoiler that Illyrio appears in Dorne with Doran at the end of the season. Obviously that didn't happen but think of how great that would have been. I'm pretty pissed that they did absolutely nothing with Doran. They could have turned the botched vengeance plot from the books into something meaningful.

It would have at least made Jaime's terrible arc worthwhile.

I have spent way too much brain power dreaming up better Dorne plots that they could have fit into the same amount of time. There were so many things they could have made better with simple story changes, and still have been able to fit in some version of Doran's speech.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom